SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Dwell: Paxil withdrawals and trying to taper

Dwell

I recently got pregnant and went from 10mg paxil to 5mg in one week and then completely stopped. I then had a miscarriage (about 2 months ago) and am having severe withdrawal symptoms. Would it be safe to go back on a low dose of paxil and try to taper off properly, or is it too late? I am miserable! Thanks in advance.

Update as of March 29, 2017: Link to post below

Edited by scallywag
added link to update post

Paxil 20mg started around 2013 dropped to 10 mg at some point dropped to 5mg for 1 week then C/T August 2016.

Buspar 10 mg 2x daily started 2013 fluctuating amounts.

Tried cylexa 1 week at beginning of August 2016.

Tried wellbutrin 1 week after cylexa stopped both.

I have been off all meds for around 4- 5 years.

Just to clarify I went off the Paxil one week after going to 5mg and it's been around 1.5 to 2 months since I've been off of it, withdrawal symptoms begun about 2-3 weeks ago.

Paxil 20mg started around 2013 dropped to 10 mg at some point dropped to 5mg for 1 week then C/T August 2016.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Dwell.

Welcome to SA. 

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage, but I'm really glad you found us to help with Paxil withdrawal. 

Yes, a reinstatement at a very small dose may help, but we really need to know more about how long you've been on Paxil and if you're taking any other drugs.

This will get you started with learning about reinstatements and proper taper techniques:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

For information about what to expect during your withdrawal and recovery:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please fill out your signature with your drug and supplement history. 

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Once we know more about how long you were on Paxil, as well as your current symptoms, we can better guide you through a reinstatement and careful taper.

Thank you for the reply shep. I was on paxil for around 3 years prior to all of this. I am also on Buspar around 40mg spread throughout the day (same amount of time-3 years for anxiety attacks). I just started wellbut rin 150mg 1 week ago and I am afraid this may be contributing to my symptoms. I would like to stop the wellbutrin now since I am so early on with it.

I appreciate the help. I feel like I am losing my mind and didn't know if I was strong enough to get past this! But now I feel there is hope and a light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Dwell

• Administrator

Welcome, Dwell.

Yes, as it's been only a week, you can stop the Wellbutrin.

Do you have any Paxil left? You might try 1mg for a while and see if it helps.

For information about how to take a very small dose, see Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)  Paxil comes in liquid form.

Paxil is a difficult drug to go off. You might consider 1mg Prozac instead, it can be somewhat easier.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I got a new prescription at my local VA (I am a veteran). I guess the VA is super cheap and only gives paxil (paroxotine) in 20mg dose so I have to cut the pills. If I want to do a liquid on my own do I do 10mg per 5ml of liquid and take 1/2 ml? Thank you for the advice!

• Administrator

5mL is a very small amount of liquid. If I were you, I'd use the 20mg in 20mL formula and take 1mL of the resulting liquid (1mg).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 months later...

So I've been off Paxil about 7 months now. Every day is a mystery. I go through waves then small windows. Right now I feel like I'm in the biggest wave yet. I got sick on Monday (I think the flu) and since then my pulse has been high and I cannot sleep at night. I take melatonin without avail. I am miserable and feel like I'm going manic or some sort of crazy. Anything I can do? Or has anyone gone through this?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your new post to your Intro topic because it is about your own situation and keeps your questions, responses and history in one place.

What amount of melatonin are you taking?

From Post #1 in this topic Melatonin:

Large doses of melatonin do NOT aid sleep -- they might cause your oversensitive brain to wake up, instead. I found when I took more than 2mg of melatonin, I was weepy in the morning. If you get this or a paradoxical reaction (waking) or are dopey in the morning, it's a sign you're taking too much.

Here are links to some SA discussions:

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Sleep Hypnosis, Guided Meditations, Calming Videos

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you I never know where to put my post. I actually took 5 MG of melatonin 2 nights in a row. Both nights (especially last night) were very bad. I did some reading and now see that was probably entirely too much.

So I am 7 months into Pax-Hell withdrawl. I have yet too elaborate on my story so I thought I would. I was prescribed 10 MG Paxil and 10 MG Buspar (2×daily) by my local VA for anxiety attacks when I drove.i believe a lot of my issues come from my time in the military. I was on the drugs for 3 years when I got pregnant. I immediately stopped the Paxil august 2016 but continued with the buspar. I miscarried and thought about reinstating but decided not too because 3-4 weeks after 0mg I started having horrible withdrawls. Zaps , brain fog, insomnia, depersonalization, suicidal ideation, loss of appetite (I'm down 25 pounds), extreme fatigue, increased anxiety , to name a few.

I am now 7 months put still with all of the same symptoms . Trying to do an extended slow taper off the buspar. Which I'm not too concerned with it seems if you go slow with buspar fits not too bad. I have lost my job due to FMLA ending, I cannot drive at the moment. I am trying to stay positive and look to the future. I am hoping to start healing soon. Hopefully the year mark will start bringing some progress. Please move this to the top of my intro if possible thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dwell, did you try a reinstatement of paxil? It might be best for you to hold the buspar taper for a while until you have stabilised. Your nervous system is struggling to cope and needs tome to settle. When you are feeling better you can restart the taper. It won't be permanent, just a hold to give you time to recover. This will get better, but will take time. 

Could you fill out your signature for us? You will find instructions here.... http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I did not reinstate Paxil. I was going to but decided that I didn't want to risk starting from the beginning again and making my recovery that much longer.

* topic and replies moved from success stories forum

I am struggling through these Paxil withdrawals and would like to know if there is anyone who had some kind of relief around a year. I can handle the physical symptoms it's the mental that's so rough.

Edited by Petunia
added note

Hi Dwell, 

I'm at 13 months and still in WD, but have definitely seen improvements in the past year. Check out my thread and my post under March 1st, 2017.  Hope you see some improvement soon!  :)

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

Chicago,

Thank you so much for responding. It's so helpful to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I'm almost 8 months into withdrawal and I feel like I may be at the worst part. Hopefully it starts to clear up soon.

I read your thread and it helps so much!

So ive read that around 6-9 months some people hit a bad wave. Has anyone noticed improvements after that period? Like has anyone hit the worst wave then started a slow incline to feel better or atleast gotten a good window? I have not had very many windows I feel like I've been getting worse up until this point with maybe one or two days in these 8 months that I've felt ok.

I tried 500 mg of vitamin c today and it gave me major anxiety. I was hoping it would help with morning cortisol butbi don't think I will try again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Whenever you try anything new, it is better to start with a low dose and if you don't have any issues, gradually build up to a higher dose.

Here is SA's discussion on vitamin-c-ascorbic-acid-or-ascorbate

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Yeah I think that's my fault, I saw others successful with 6000mg daily do I thought 600 mg would be a small amount.

• Administrator

Hi, Dwell. Are you only taking Buspar now?

What are your worst symptoms? Do you have a daily symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

It's possible reinstatement of a tiny amount of Paxil, maybe 1mg or less, might reduce the withdrawal symptoms. You'd taper off by minute amounts later. See About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You need to figure out if your withdrawal symptoms are so bad, you'd want to experiment with reinstatement.

PS Very cute puppy.

Hey Alto,

Yes I am only on the buspar now. If I can get back to WD normal I'd like to start a 10%taper on that. I am 8 months into this WD so I'm a bit afraid to reinstate and have an adverse effect. It seems thus wave is SLOOOOOOOWLY passing so I'm hoping it's just that a bad wave and I can soon see a window or gradual improvement. If you don't mind I would like to list my current symptoms here so I can track them.

Currently:

Fatigue

Blurred vision (slightly getting better)

Cog fog (slightly getting better )

Slurred speech

right arm numbness at times

Morning cortisol (insomnia is better but I wake between 3-5 so I try to go to bed early)

Dark thoughts (seem to be very slowly getting better)

Increased anxiety

Dp/Dr

Loss of emotion (except fear)

Loss of appetite

Minimal nausea (was previously worse)

Lack of motivation (I push myself to do things everyday)

Jello legs/balance issues

This is all I can think of right now. Over the last month these have all ramped up majorly but in the past couple days I can see some very minor improvements!

WD normal*

Does anyone know if a yeast infection could exacerbate WD symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've just done a google search using survivingantidepressants.org candida and it brought up some topics where candida is discussed.  There are too many to provide links for.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had one big huge wave before healing came? Like a peak of all symptoms then some release of symptoms? I've been in a really bad wave for about 1.5 months hoping it goes soon.

Thank you excuse! Anybody else have any experience with a BIG wave then start healing?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a big 3 month wave once and things did seem to break up a bit better after that, but it's not fun or easy.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Thank you for the reply CT! I'm hoping it lifts soon!

It's been 5 days since your last post. How are you doing Dwell? Any luck regarding the lessening of WD symptoms?

Name LostInTheWoods evokes both the feeling of getting stranded, forsaken and alone in an alien, hostile environment and the chance to experience awareness, tranquility and self-discovery during the experience. Just call me Lost in the posts.

February 2012. After a crisis, a crippling anxiety that culminated in a panic attack. Started 20 mg Paxil and Clonazepam.

Clonazepam left quickly in the 2nd attempt.

About about a year on 20 mg, begin tapering.

June 2014, after several weeks on 5 mg and trying to dose down, went CT.

May 2015.Anxiety came back again, went to psychiatrist back. Fluoxetine was tried and left because of bad reaction, returned to paroxetine. Start tapering in mid 2016.

December 2016. After like 2 months of going 2,5 mg, stopped paroxetine.

Truth to be told, descended into a downward spiral of caffeine, alcohol and masturbation.

January  26, 2017. Wave with some tinnitus that was fixed by a visit to the ENT.

April 21, 2017. Acid reflux at night was a stressor that triggered another wave.Vices have been put into check and only a drink or two a week remain.

By May 7 stabilized with a little anxiety left and some pains.

Hi LITW!... everything is about the same I am slightly better in the evenings and I am so grateful for that! One day at a time! Thank you for checking in!

Hey Dwell.

Just stopping by your thread .. I already know how you feel so I won't ask :-/ I do want to wish you windows though. So if you do get a window soon hold that MF open and call me. I'll bring pizza :).

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN