If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

New York Times reporter wants to talk to UK sufferers of antidepressant withdrawal

news antidepressant withdrawal uk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaddyCee

DaddyCee

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSouth West, UK

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:59 AM

Hi,

Just seen this post on the CEP website at

http://cepuk.org/201...ant-withdrawal/

Namaste,

DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 39 months med free  :D  :D  :D

#2 Shep

Shep

Gold star

• Moderators
  • 1,961 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:01 AM

From CEP (Council for Evidence-Based Medicine):

New York Times reporter wants to talk to UK sufferers of antidepressant withdrawal

CEP has received the following request from Ben Carey, a reporter for the New York Times:

“My name is Ben Carey, and I cover psychiatry for the New York Times. I have covered the field for over a decade, and one of the biggest emerging stories is drug withdrawal – particularly from antidepressant drugs. Tens of millions of people in the UK, US and elsewhere have had trouble going off these drugs. Now, in the UK, there are efforts to study the problem and help people: the first such efforts I know of. I am going to write about this withdrawal movement, and I am hoping to find people who’ve struggled with this problem to tell the story. I’d love to meet in person, but I am open to any arrangement; the important thing is to put the story out. I will be in the London area all next week, through Nov. 5; and the tag end of the following week. Anyone interested who cares to ask me questions about the story before deciding is welcome to do so: 00 1 914-330-3847 or bencarey@nytimes.com

Locked up and forced onto drugs as a teenager - misdiagnosed manic depressive.
Developed dependency and stayed on cocktails of drugs for nearly 30 years.

My Intro: Shep's Journey

Last drug cocktail: Seroquel, Halcion, Klonopin, Sonata, Vibrydd, and Dexetrine

After 30 years of polydrug use, completely med free May 22, 2015.

Remaining symptoms: dp/dr with memory problems and insomnia

I am not a medical professional, and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs. 

#3 DaddyCee

DaddyCee

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSouth West, UK

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:57 AM

not sure why but the article has been pulled from the website.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 39 months med free  :D  :D  :D

#4 Shep

Shep

Gold star

• Moderators
  • 1,961 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for catching this, DaddyCee.

I emailed a friend from my benzo forum days. She's been in contact with this reporter and it seems he has been reached by enough people now, so he's no longer advertising.

My friend said that in their email correspondence, Ben Carey said there's going to be two articles - one for antidepressant withdrawal and one for benzo withdrawal. 

I look forward to reading these articles. 

I am not a medical professional, and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs. 

#5 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

When these articles are published please post here

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am)28 Sept 15 (5yrs drug free), cf, cmw, insomnia  horrifying pssd continues, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, cognitively doing heaps better. 28 Sept 16 after 6 yrs start working again on a casual basis.

The doctor of the future will give no medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.' - Thomas A. Edison

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#6 Shep

Shep

Gold star

• Moderators
  • 1,961 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

Will do, NZ. 

If I do wander off and forget, here is Ben Carey's link at the Times, so we'll know where to look.

http://www.nytimes.c.../benedict-carey

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news, antidepressant, withdrawal, uk