Frost05: Risperdal who else took this for psychosis?

Frost05

So i went to the beach on spring break on March 20, 2016 with my niece she took me and on the way we smoked dro weed it was my first time but i always been smoking regular weed since Nov. of 2013 every day for 3 months then id skip a month so idk if that caused it or anything but soon after we got to the beach i got a psychosis episode maybe from changing from regular to dro after years of only smoking regular and it would go on and off for 10 days after that thinking i had superpowers :b

so i went to some rehab place to get taken care of and they gave me 1mg of risperdal for the first week and nothing happened i still felt the psychosis and they kept upping the dosage till 10mg a day and

after that 3 days later in the afternoon when i was laying down in the bed i heard a pop in my brain and felt like everything around me stopped idk what had happened and just went about my day until i got out of that rehab place i still didnt realize anything till like 2 weeks later that i couldnt feel any emotion or grief everything feels flat

you guys think smoking regular weed will help bring back the receptors to normal waiting to get paid to try that stuff now.

2 months went by and ended up trading my xbox on craigslist for a .22 revolver in case it is permanent but im not sure if that would do any damage to my brain now to die seems weak 4 months later of playing the waiting game and still feel the same way is there anything that would help fight off whats blocking my receptors?

Edited by scallywag
added generic drug to tags (CC); white space (sw)
  • Moderator Emeritus

Frost05 -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Risperdal is a neuroleptic or "anti-psychotic".  Many people on this board report feeling emotionally flat when taking this kind of medication.

I suggest staying away from weed/cannabis now that you've had a psychosis response to it. Unless you are buying medical marijuana you cannot be sure of the percentage of neuroactive ingredients.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates (month & year is fine) rather than time frames such as "6 months ago" or "last week."
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a mobile phone, please look at Post #8 and Post #9

Once we have your medication history, we'll be able to make suggestions for you to consider.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I agree with scallywag that smoking more weed will just cause you more problems.

I wouldn't stay at 10mg of risperidone too long if i were you.

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

I agree with scallywag that smoking more weed will just cause you more problems.

I wouldn't stay at 10mg of risperidone too long if i were you.

Sorry forgot to mention i been off respirdal for 6 months now i was only taking 10mg of it for like 3 days at the rehab place till i started not feeling anything then left that place, you might be right about it causing more problems now that somethings blocked in my brain cause of respirdal and weed might cause a reaction but i doubt it cause other people tried to smoke it to see if it would work for unblocking the flat effect but they said they didnt even feel the effects of the weed so thats possibly whats gonna happen to me as well havent tried it yet, ima just smoke one joint to get the dopamine receptors going if its possible then let my brain heal naturally, or maybe it will cure it and leave me with psychosis again id rather have psychosis and feel feelings and keep smoking weed to ignore it than this flat effect, thats what i wish i wouldve done in the first place and not freak out and go to the doctors if that was the case

the doctors probably won't tell you this but there are so many testimonials of people saying that risperdal emotionally "numbed" them. it happened to me too. i'm curious to try marijuana again to see if it brings back emotion because i used the herb before risperdal and it intensified every emotion for me...but if it causes you psychosis then i wouldn't go near it unless it's a small dose.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

the doctors probably won't tell you this but there are so many testimonials of people saying that risperdal emotionally "numbed" them. it happened to me too. i'm curious to try marijuana again to see if it brings back emotion because i used the herb before risperdal and it intensified every emotion for me...but if it causes you psychosis then i wouldn't go near it unless it's a small dose.

ok i finally tried it and yes you can feel the same way you did but like just 50% you can use it as therapy to remember how you felt and maybe in like a week try to see if you start feeling natural again

ok i finally tried it and yes you can feel the same way you did but like just 50% you can use it as therapy to remember how you felt and maybe in like a week try to see if you start feeling natural again

ok i finally came off my high and i actually feel a little bit of myself back i got the sense of time back like predicting what time it is if i were to look at the clock an remember what time it was last time i checked, i feel a little of pleasure hearing music again :) like around 30%-40% and i feel my personality back and everything i ever cared for like stores,colors, my stuff and myself like 25% so its not all flatness anymore better than nothing i dont feel the psychosis anymore so its not ongoing psychosis which is why i though it was the medicine keeping you numb thats what i though

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you found some escape from the blah grey-ness you have been experiencing.

There are people on this board in withdrawal who tried the same approach as you and triggered long intense waves of symptoms, setting back their recovery for months. It's fairly risky to treat symptoms caused by withdrawal from psycho-neuro-active medications with another psycho-neuro-active substance, even something natural such as marijuana.

I think cannabis should be legal however it isn't in many places around the world, including the state in which risperdalhater lives. Aside from the health risks during withdrawal, there are legal risks involving very negative long-term outcomes. This is a site for coming off medications as safely as possible. Thanks in advance for refraining from recommending medications to others.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

There are people on this board in withdrawal who tried the same approach as you and have set their recovery back months. It's fairly risky to treat symptoms caused by withdrawal from psycho-neuro-active medications with another psycho-neuro-active substance, even something natural such as marijuana.

Please don't recommend cannabis to others, particularly when it is not legal in many jurisdictions.

thats fine if i need a few more months to recover now as long as i can feel a little bit of myself while healing naturally without weed after i run out of the weed of course to see if it hightened my senses a little more for the long run

• 2 weeks later...

ok i finally came off my high and i actually feel a little bit of myself back i got the sense of time back like predicting what time it is if i were to look at the clock an remember what time it was last time i checked, i feel a little of pleasure hearing music again :) like around 30%-40% and i feel my personality back and everything i ever cared for like stores,colors, my stuff and myself like 25% so its not all flatness anymore better than nothing i dont feel the psychosis anymore so its not ongoing psychosis which is why i though it was the medicine keeping you numb thats what i though

interesting, i'm glad it helped. the only thing about marijuana that i worry about is the potential paranoia that comes with it but then again i think there are some species of it that don't cause paranoia.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

interesting, i'm glad it helped. the only thing about marijuana that i worry about is the potential paranoia that comes with it but then again i think there are some species of it that don't cause paranoia.

ok now im back to my zombie mode self :( the first day i tried it i felt emotion and racing thoughts but after i smoked for the rest of the week and i didnt feel no racing thoughs like your suppose to i only felt the disoriented feeling when your high also i had 2 times that my head felt like it got shocked for like 5 seconds when i kept trying to think what i like just right now like 1 hour ago and 2 days ago hopefully somethings happening, ima start healing naturally now probably try that omega 3 fish oil everyone is using and thats about it ill update you guys if something does happen or if i start getting shocks again 

• 3 weeks later...

ok now im back to my zombie mode self :( the first day i tried it i felt emotion and racing thoughts but after i smoked for the rest of the week and i didnt feel no racing thoughs like your suppose to i only felt the disoriented feeling when your high also i had 2 times that my head felt like it got shocked for like 5 seconds when i kept trying to think what i like just right now like 1 hour ago and 2 days ago hopefully somethings happening, ima start healing naturally now probably try that omega 3 fish oil everyone is using and thats about it ill update you guys if something does happen or if i start getting shocks again 

oh yea i forgot to mention since i smoked the weed i havent felt the feelings or should i say thoughs cause you really cant feel **** of this medication of thinking like when you talk to someone your like whats the point if im not feeling anything you know it has just put me in a mindset of not questioning anything even though i dont feel anything so at least i got that going for me i hated that urge always thinking whats the point of doing this and that if im not feeling anything you know oh and since then i sold the gun i aint doing it anymore ima just wait it out since i dont feel that nasty urge of always thinking the need to feel something to do it anymore