SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

CG -- recovered from Prozac withdrawal

• Administrator

Suffering from 4 years of prolonged Prozac withdrawal syndrome, CG founded the site Antidepressants Facts http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/

in 2000 to collect his findings about the dangers of antidepressants and his theories on how withdrawal syndrome might affect the body.

In 2001, CG posted his story on http://ecommerce.drugawareness.org/Archives/Survivors/2001/record0007.html

At that time, he had had withdrawal syndrome from Prozac for 4 years. (It's also on http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/2000-05-06-Charly-Prozac.htm

This contains a lot of detail about his symptoms and how they changed over those first 4 years. His site www.antidepressantsfacts.com was last updated in 2009. For many years, his site was the one people found when they were searching for information about antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. He may be the most famous survivor of prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome in the world.

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

CG recently told a friend on Facebook his full recovery took 7 years. He saw more improvements after the 4 year mark. He is now 16 years away from his reaction and recently when I was asking him of I would make it and how he was he said "I am totally free of all the symptoms I had back then."

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

His advice about the progress of withdrawal syndrome at at http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/reaction.htm has been widely copied all over the Web. Here is a version posted in late 2009 at http://experience.patient.co.uk/discussion.php?t=38410 (reposted with C's permission):

After your reaction to an (SSRI/SSNRI) Anti-Depressant

The first 3-18 months

One of the long term side-effects after experiencing a reaction to an (SSRI) antidepressant, is an extreme hyper-sensitivity of the nervous system to light, sound, supplements, herbs and fabricated synthetic vitamins. Furthermore physical symptoms such as muscle tightness, electrical shocks through the brain and the body, feelings of burning on the surface or inside of the skin (deregulation of pain perception), visual and/or auditory hallucinations, as well as emotional and psychological problems. For a more detailed discussion regarding above mentioned side-effects click here.

We do not recommend to expose your body to synthetic chemicals whilst experiencing more or less severe hypersensitivity of the nervous system. We rather recommend to get your essential elements from preferably organic low acid food. Low acidic foods have a high pH value which is ALKALINE or BASIC! You need to 'alkalinize' your system (body) above a pH value of '7' !

Eat enough fruit and vegetables in a variable alkalinizing balanced diet, and drink lots of water. For instance tomatoes, bananas, kiwi's, broccoli, aloe vera, carrots, cabbage, beans, cucumbers, etc., are a very rich source of essential minerals, vitamins and amino acids. Do not take 5-HTP to create more serotonin in your brain. By simply leaving your serotonergic neural system alone, you will assist it the most to find it's own natural balance again. Unfortunately this will take some time.

Do not charge your nervous system like you always did before your reaction to an (SSRI) antidepressant. If you charge your nervous system too much, like too much stress, a surgery, unhealthy eating patterns, etc., you actually delay your recovery. You will have to learn to listen to your body, what means that you know when to withdraw and when to get active.

When you suffered a reaction to an (SSRI) antidepressant your nervous system becomes hyper-sensitive to ALL stimuli. What are stimuli? It is everything that acts on your nervous system (directly or indirectly) like light, sound, but also violence on TV, stressors, certain supplements or fabricated vitamins, etc. All these things act as stimulants to your nervous system. Actually the effects of a psychoactive drug and watching a horror movie are very much comparative to each other...that is: they BOTH act on your nervous system!

The key solution to recovery is NOT to stimulate your nervous system, but, to sedate your nervous system. Every time when you stimulate a nervous system that in fact needs to be sedated to recover, you delay the process of healing. We know it will be impossible to lock your self up in a dark, silent room and this is definitely not what we are trying to say. You just have to learn when to withdraw yourself (and thus your nervous system) from stimuli and when to come out.

Consider sweat baths (sauna baths). This is a very healthy habit. Sweat baths are extremely sedating to the nervous system. When you take a sweat bath on a regular base this will strengthen your cardiovascular system and improve the blood circulation. Next to this, go out in nature, trees, green, oxygen, gentle walking, etc..

About taking supplements

We learned that everyone who is experiencing (SSRI) antidepressant side-effects, is looking for the quick relief. People are experimenting with whatever supplement or fabricated synthetic vitamin they can get their hands on. Simply avoid this if that is possible.

As previously mentioned above, we do not recommend to expose your body to synthetic chemicals whilst experiencing more or less severe hypersensitivity of the nervous system. We rather recommend to get your essential elements from preferably organic low acid food in a variable balanced diet.

Two to three simple bananas and kiwi's, an egg-sandwich, 2-3 glasses of milk, a few tomatoes and an avocado a day provides many of the essential vitamins, (trace)minerals & amino acids you need on a daily base. Vegetables especially rich in essential elements are: Peas, Potatoes, Broccoli, Squash (Summer), Spinach, Lima Beans & Kale. The taste of nature is nice and it saves you money on unnecessary supplements too!

However we also understand that getting your essentials from a variable diet requires some skills in preparation and cooking of your daily meal. Not everyone is able or willing to do that. In that case you need to add your essential elements otherwise. We understand if you feel the need to take a daily multi-vitamin complex. There are many different multi-vitamin complex products, unfortunately a lot of rubbish amongst them. Most of them contain extra added synthetic chemicals which you must avoid. If you are going to take a multi-vitamin complex you need to be aware of the following:

- make sure that it doesn't contain Vitamin K. Vitamin K plays a role in the manufacture of blood clotting. Too much of this vitamin might interact with plasma serotonin which is also known to make blood form cloths (see article, "2.a. Serotonergic functioning"). Although there is more research needed regarding this matter, the anecdotal reports of (former) (SSRI) antidepressant users imply fabricated vitamin K as a cause for the worsening of their already exisiting symptoms.

- make sure that ALL B-vitamins are low(never above the daily recommended standard). It is important to note that most B-vitamins work as stimulants to the nervous system. You need to avoid that.

- make sure that the B3 compound is as niacinamide and NEVER as niacine (this will give a flush which could make you re-live all of your symptoms again).

Depending on the severeness of the reaction you experienced to an (SSRI) antidepressant we also recommend that if you decide to take your essential elements otherwise, to take calcium/magnesium/zinc in a vegetarian formula. Never exceed the daily dose of Calcium 1000mg, Magnesium 400mg and Zinc 15mg. Although calcium/magnesium/zinc are not known to act as stimulants, caution is needed. Always start with small amounts (1/6 of the daily dose), gradually build up and keep monitoring yourself.

In these first 3-18 months the cycles or the emotional rollercoasters (the tricks your brain is playing on you) can be extremely frightening. And it will seem like it never ends, especially when you find a bit of hope in the evening to be back at square one in the morning. Be firm! We all understand its the most frustrating experience right now for you. It's serotonin related and that's why you are experiencing delayed (withdrawal) side effects and flashbacks, but gradually it will get better. Evaluate your recovery by weeks and months, not days.

You are going to experience minutes, hours and days that you will start to feel better. The cycles will get longer in duration and eventually you will have more good then bad days. Though, it is most important you also treat your nervous system with care during these better days. Don't think when the better days arrive that you can charge your nervous system like you always did before. It will give you a major set-back! Stick to the list we provide you below, on how to assist your recovery during this period.

Friends and Family

These times are very tough to experience. Your friends and family cannot even imagine the powerful influence these drugs have on your mind and your sub-consciousness. They simply cannot believe that these drugs can have such a powerful effect on someone's brain. You might loose your trust in them after this. Try to accept and understand their ignorant and frustrating reactions. Avoid them for a while, if that's possible.

How can I assist my recovery during this period?

Avoid any psycho-stimulants such as medications, herbs, but especially: violence on TV. Why? Because right now your nervous system has become hyper-sensitive and extremely susceptible to every input from your surroundings, not only light and sound! You must also protect your sub-consciousness until you reach a level of emotional stability.

Ingest low acid foods and try to minimize the ingestion of high acidic foods with a low pH-grade! REMEMBER: You need to 'alkalinize' your system (body) above a pH value of '7' !

Avoid Grapefruit Juice. Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of the cytochrome P-450 enzymes. These enzymes are known to metabolise (break down) (SSRI) antidepressants in the liver. Drinking grapefruit juice whilst you are taking an (SSRI) antidepressant can create a serious toxic reaction, because the (SSRI) antidepressant will build to toxic levels in the bloodstream! For more information click here.

- No caffeine. Drink lots of chamomile tea, sweetened with honey.

- No alcohol.

- Don't take Saint John's Worth. St. John's Worth works more or less as a natural SSRI (on post synaptic receptors), also interacting with your serotonergic neural system

- Don't take Ma-Huang (Ephedra) because it's a powerful adrenalin (epinephrine) stimulant, triggering adrenalin rushes.

- Don't take Kava Kava, it can intensify (SSRI) antidepressant (withdrawal) side-effects or give flashbacks to previous side-effects you experienced.

- Eat neutral alkaloids, vegetables, etc..

- Consider fasting for 1 to 10 days. Fasting detoxifies your body, but be careful and monitor your bloodsugar levels daily.

- Don't do any intensive exercise like jogging or aerobics, but instead try meditation, gentle stretching, gentle walking.

- Go out in Nature, or go to a Sauna, or whatever environment where you may find a little peace of mind and body.

- Listen to light Classic music or New Age music, watch cartoons (or anything else without violence), go walking, take hot or cold showers, anything that might work for you, anything to "manage" the "twilight zone" of suicidal and offensive thoughts and dissociated emotions.

- Focus on memories of events in your past (like childhood memories) which will recall positive emotions. Hang on to them!

- Learn during this period, which thought or view will give you any positive emotional response and write this down into the form of an affirmation! Read these affirmations for yourself every morning when you wake up! In this way you will slightly re-program your brain to tune into positive emotions.

- Time and Nature will be your best friends in your healing process. In this battle you don't fight to win because you can't. You simply will survive it. Focus on the thought to survive this, and you will, just as other individuals did. Don't force yourself to become the person again that you were before this, but make a statement to yourself that you will come out of this "trip." Make this statement to your self everyday, every hour.

Whilst You are Recovering...

We strongly persist not to take any supplements, herbs and/or synthetic vitamins until your nervous system has strengthened over time. Continue to ingest proper food, vegetables and fruit during this period. Treat your nervous system with care. As mentioned above: don't think when the better days arrive that you can charge your nervous system like you always did before. It will give you a major set-back! Be careful and monitor your body closely whilst you are ingesting a supplement or herb.

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting, maybe you were talking about me who was told by C that he was recovered after 7 years. I never knew which drug he had taken, always had assumed it was Paxil/Seroxat but apparently it was Prozac. Not the most notorious in terms of excruciating long-term WD I thought, but obviously it can be just as dangerous.

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• Administrator

It was a different Facebook friend. Have you been in touch with him recently?

You were right Alto, I logged onto this site years ago, before any other support group.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 4 weeks later...

It was me!! I have been speaking to him alot and posted that update on the SA facebook page :)

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

• Administrator

Thanks for letting us know, Iggy. :) If you hear any more details from C, please post them here.

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

• 2 weeks later...

"I consider myself to have been recovered after 6 to 7 years. However, the emotional recovery takes almost twice as long. It's only now that I feel I am becoming whole again and that's more than I could ever asked for."

By emotional recovery, does he mean the ability to regain emotions? I took Prozac for 6 months in 2009 (when I was 15) and ever since then, I have never experienced a single emotion. I do not have emotions... I do not feel at all, period.

Is this permanent? Because I'm scared.

• Administrator

anhedonia, I moved your post here -- you were referring to CG's recovery? He's on Facebook, you can ask him the details. And please (with his permission), post his response here!

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

no, he was FULLY healed at 7 years, I asked him about this as I had been told that his recovery took 12 years, 7 years to heal and then 5 years to overcome the trauma, I will post his response...

Caroline I read it, you said it took 12 years for the emotional stuff to go but Im confused, I take it that you didnt have the all day anxiety and akathisia for that long?

15:20 CG When you go on and off of an SSRI your system becomes more sensitive to it. Needless to say I suggest you never touch it again. What I meant was that it took longer to heal emotionally. I am doing just fine now, but it was a long road. And you never forget it.

15:21 Caroline so you mean heal emotionally from the fact that you went through it?

15:21 CG That was the after effect.. trauma after the SSRI trauma.. you should not be worried about that..

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

no, he was FULLY healed at 7 years, I asked him about this as I had been told that his recovery took 12 years, 7 years to heal and then 5 years to overcome the trauma, I will post his response...

Caroline

I read it, you said it took 12 years for the emotional stuff to go but Im confused, I take it that you didnt have the all day anxiety and akathisia for that long?

15:20

CG

When you go on and off of an SSRI your system becomes more sensitive to it. Needless to say I suggest you never touch it again. What I meant was that it took longer to heal emotionally. I am doing just fine now, but it was a long road. And you never forget it.

15:21

Caroline

so you mean heal emotionally from the fact that you went through it?

15:21

CG

That was the after effect.. trauma after the SSRI trauma.. you should not be worried about that..

It's a good thing to see recovery is possible (and that he recovered within 7 years) but now, I'm scared I might not even recover since I took this mind altering drug when I was 15 years old. I just miss life.... I really do. Sometimes I beat myself up (mentally) that I took this drug... but I never knew something like this was possible. All I can do is hope, eat right, and just hope that my brain can heal from this. But it's hard to be patient... when you want to enjoy life. sad.gif Edited by Altostrata
name changed by requesst

• Administrator

Rather than make yourself unhappy about what might have been, focus on the now and healing. This condition teaches all of us something about Zen Buddhism.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting this one, as a Prozac taperer it gives me hope!

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Am I understanding all of this correctly?

After getting off ssri's there is alot of Neuro-emotion? And physical WD symptoms? I have read this from many members once they were off their meds.

But what about depression and anxiety? What happens on that end. Did it go away?

How do you know the difference?

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 5 months later...

a lovely quote from C from my recent conversation with him

I can drink coffee, beer and eat as much as want now. Certainly not then, but now I have no problems with that at all anymore.

sorry jemima, you have posted lossleaders story there, they are 2 different people :)

CGs story is here

http://icfda.drugawareness.org/Archives/Survivors/2001/record0007.html

C in fact had a severe adverse reaction.after taking prozac on and off many times for 1 month at a time.

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

• Moderator Emeritus

sorry jemima, you have posted lossleaders story there, they are 2 different people :)

CGs story is here

C in fact had a severe adverse reaction.after taking prozac on and off many times for 1 month at a time.

Thanks for the heads-up, Iggy.  I changed the title on that post and deleted my post to Nikki.

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Am I understanding all of this correctly?After getting off ssri's there is alot of Neuro-emotion? And physical WD symptoms? I have read this from many members once they were off their meds.But what about depression and anxiety? What happens on that end. Did it go away?How do you know the difference?Nikki

I think most of the post-withdrawal symptoms you fear have happened to people who got off the drug cold turkey or far too fast, as I did.  A slow, careful taper should result in getting off the drug(s) with few to no withdrawal symptoms afterward.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a good thing to see recovery is possible (and that he recovered within 7 years) but now, I'm scared I might not even recover since I took this mind altering drug when I was 15 years old. I just miss life.... I really do. Sometimes I beat myself up (mentally) that I took this drug... but I never knew something like this was possible. All I can do is hope, eat right, and just hope that my brain can heal from this. But it's hard to be patient... when you want to enjoy life. Posted Image

The fact that you were 15 years old when you first took the drug actually works in your favor.  The younger brain isn't fully formed at age 15 plus it heals faster than with us older people. (I'm 67 and almost completely recovered after 18 months of a too-fast taper of Lexapro.)

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

CG has requested that his full name not be used in Web posts, to protect his privacy.

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

• 7 months later...

Reading this has reenforced the advice I've already heard about being careful with exercise. It will be difficult since it's been such a big part of my life for so long. But the rationale behind it--the protection of a hypersensative nervous system--really makes sense.

But, also, I was wondering about the comments concerning supplements, specifically, that we should not take any if we can help it. Is that so even when it comes to magnesium and fish oil?

Have taken Celexa 10mg for six years. Tried to taper two years ago but failed. I have taken 25mg hydrocholorothiazide for two years for slightly high blood pressure. Not sure if it's related to SSRI use. I don't have a family history of hypertension, am a healthy weight, walk all 

day at my job, and work out (powerlifting and kettlebells). 

I tapered by 10% (always indexed to original dose; big mistake!) for ten months starting in March 2014, crashed hard at 1/2 milligrams, have updosed to 5mg and am trying to hold there. 

HI Bobcat-

I was interested in your post about the exercise.( I do weights & weight machines) I find that it helps to relax me. It is a way for me to work out the stress & anxiety. I know everyone is different, but if you have been doing it for a long time would your body & mind miss it? I do know watching violent & loud tv (except for Blacklist - I'm addicted to it :) - I just hide my face & plug my ears when it gets too bad.) really bothers me. I guess we just eliminate & cut down things on a trial basis.

As far as the fish oil & magnesium I also find these help. I know that some people here have a difficult time with supplements, but again if you have been taking them I would continue. If you are considering them I would start at a low dose & see how you do with them.

I have only been having issues for about a year, so someone with more experience might advise you differently.

Take care-

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

Thans Zoe; that makes sense: cautous trial and error is probably the order of the day for most of this stuff. I do find that generally exercise helps me tremendously (heavy lifting especially). I'll just have to be careful and see how things go as I continue down the rabbit hole.

That's great to hear that the lifting helps you. From what I understand, exercise, especially strength training, affects the hormonal system in a beneficial way, at least under normal circumstances. however, I suspect that during withdrawal, the trick will be to listen to our bodies in order to prevent that beneft's becoming a detriment (viz., overwhelming the nervous system). But I'm grabbing at bits and pieces of theory here and probably know just enough to be dangerous.  

I did experience hyperactivity (but without anxiety) from fish oil tablets. I've since bought liquid cod liver oil that has a higher DHA than EPA. Some think that the EPA is what can cause the hyperactivity. But I can't remember where I read that now. In any case, I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I've now started wondering about coffee. I drink one twelve ounce cup of starbucks coffee everyday, no more, no less. Wondering if I should quit that for the taper. I've already started teetotalling. Do you drink coffee?

Have taken Celexa 10mg for six years. Tried to taper two years ago but failed. I have taken 25mg hydrocholorothiazide for two years for slightly high blood pressure. Not sure if it's related to SSRI use. I don't have a family history of hypertension, am a healthy weight, walk all 

day at my job, and work out (powerlifting and kettlebells). 

I tapered by 10% (always indexed to original dose; big mistake!) for ten months starting in March 2014, crashed hard at 1/2 milligrams, have updosed to 5mg and am trying to hold there. 

When I was REALLY anxious I cut coffee out completely. At the time I was only drinking 2 small cups a day. Now I will generally drink a very weak cup in the AM. It depends on how I am feeling. 

As for the weights, one reason I like them is that I read about the hormonal helps also. I really cut back when I was super anxious ( basically I just didn't feel up to getting out & being with other people) but the past few weeks I have tried to get over there 3x a week. I know it has helped me feel better. I read something about it helping with neuroplasticity also. I figure my neurons can use all the help they can get!!

If you haven't already, check out the links & posts on this site. You will learn a lot & everyone is so kind & caring.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

• 1 month later...

This is so good information alto, i made the mistake that after being in a wave were I ate good , avoid much i coudlt tolerate, then in the window i went back to my old habbit which set me right back in the chaos again so now ive learnt this for sure!

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how long he was on the AD? 

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

In 2001, CG posted his story on http://ecommerce.dru...record0007.html

At that time, he had had withdrawal syndrome from Prozac for 4 years. (It's also on http://www.antidepre...arly-Prozac.htm

Unfortunately, a bad case of 'link rot'.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

Sorry, I can't do anything about it.

Thank you!

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

• 5 months later...

He took prozac the first drug I took which I will say till I die caused me to have chronic fatigue /fibro syndrome and a long and hard severe withdrawal that did not abate and lead to further drugging.  Now this is the only drug they suggest be given to kids and the one suggested as a bridge in wd... as it is self tapering????  hogwash is what I say... it is a very dangerous in my mind it is even more of a trickster as the wd can hit much later then with shorter half life drugs but it still hits. 

The fact that it was first on the market may have allowed it some grace as people had never experienced a drug like it unless they were illegal drug users... since they did not think a drug could be so horrid nobody suspected wd.  it got a pass likely doctors dx other illnesses when the wd did hit like they did with me... because they did not know any better then. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 4 months later...

Finally found the link to CG's story on the site he started, he scrubbed his personal details from it:

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/2000-05-06-prozac-experience.htm

I have the wrong link in my thread from The Wayback Machine but I'm too lazy to ask a mod to edit it. But it is there too, just plug the above link in there (the search URL box in Wayback) and you can see the original.

He asked that his name be removed, he has a life away from this ordeal now. Bless him.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Purpose in life leads one to complete recovery, its the catch that we all get trapped into during withdrawals of giving up on normal life. I completely and totally believe that Antidepressant users definitely suffer long than understood by doctors, but a line from one AD survivor inspired me to a great extent she said and I quote, "Normal life is all about embracing suffering" this helps me daily to move on with debilitated mental plight that I am in.

Was started on cipralex 10mg in February 2012

Moved up to 20mg within a month

1st attempt to quit in december 2012

in April 2013 was put back on 10mg cipralex because of debilitating withdrawals.

tappered with extreme caution from 10mg to .15mg from April 2013 till April 2015

started having terrible withdrawals in July 2015

took 2 doses of 5mg on September 24 and September 25 2015 because of blurred vision anxiety

and ear and head noise.

• 4 months later...

CGs story is here

Thanks for the heads-up, Iggy. I changed the title on that post and deleted my post to Nikki.

This link shows multiple options. Does anyone know the correct one? I would love to read CG's success story.

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

What an inspiring story and very informative!! Just love it ❤️

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

scary, but at least he reached 100% again.

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in march of 2016 was at 300mg again

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

in september tried reducing trazadone to 50mg

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

currently taking 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel at night