SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

yyeehhaaww: How do I keep going ?

yyeehhaaww

I also felt compelled to get off trileptal rapidly as I have pain in my right abdominal area under rib cage and bad diarrhea.  I am worried about my liver.

In August, I went to the emergency room 3 times and have probably only, been there that many times before in my entire life.  The first time was mainly for fever had for several days.  They told me I had a UTI, but on follow up with pcp the culture did not show an infection and to stop I believe Augmentin.   Then I went for breathing problems and abdominal pain so had a cat scan and was told I had pneumonia and bad constipation in intestines.  I was given levoquin and have since learned that was very bad with my medication withdrawal.  Went back again a few days later because still so sick and this time was told did not have pneumona, but to keep taking levoquin and had fatigue.    

I have continued to have the abdominal pain and bad diarrhea.  

Today, I found this....

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Ashton Manual

Digestive problems. Some people have no problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually no abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

and this:

Does it make sense?  Is the answer to take probiotics?  Is there information on this here?  Am going to do search, but wondering about opinions for y'all.

All Health Begins in the Gut" - Hippocrates

Our Second Brain

If you’ve ever had your stomach in knots before speaking in public, then you know the stomach listens carefully to the brain. In fact, according to William Whitehead, PhD, a professor of medicine and an adjunct professor of psychology at the University of North Carolina, the entire digestive system is closely attuned to a person’s emotions and state of mind. People with irritable bowel syndrome often suffer symptoms during times of stress and anxiety, and even perfectly healthy people can have an increase of stomach pain, nausea, constipation or diarrhea during stressful life events.

In recent years the link between the nervous system and the digestive system has been recognized. There is a constant exchange of chemicals and electrical messages between the two systems. In fact, many scientists often refer to them as one entity; the brain-gut axis. Therefore, what affects the stomach will directly affect the brain and vice versa.

Medications designed to target the brain can also cause nausea, diarrhea, constipation or abdominal upset because the body actually has two brains – one encased in the skull, and a lesser known but vitally important one found in the human gut. Fat-soluble drugs penetrate the gut wall and can injure the natural balance of the digestive system. Antidepressants, benzodiazepines and sleeping pills are all fat-soluble, meaning they dissolve in fat and not water.

SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) are believed to ease depression by enhancing levels of Serotonin to the brain. But 95% of the Serotonin in the body lies in the digestive system, and diverting the supplies of Serotonin from their natural receptors can increase anxiety, alter sleep patterns, cause sexual dysfunction and adversely affect the cardiovascular region. Balancing the hotbed of Serotonin production in the gut is critical to restoring the balance.

Some scientists believe that SSRIs boost Serotonin in the gut and change the signals to the brain, since antidepressants prevent the uptake of Serotonin by cells that should be using it. But Serotonin is calming to the digestive tract. This may explain why some SSRI users experience nausea, stomach upset, constipation, diarrhea, and fluctuations in appetite.

GABA receptors for Benzodiazepines and Sleeping Pills are also located in the gut and depress gastrointestinal movement, which can cause constipation. But the continued use of medications that target GABA also increase the level of stress on the body. And in many ways, the connection between stress and the gut may be the most visible brain-gut connection.  Chronic stress can result in indigestion, ulcers and a host of uncomfortable symptoms, including colon spasms. This may explain why the gut naturally produces benzodiazepines, to keep the natural state of calm that is necessary for proper functioning.

Nearly every chemical that controls the brain is also located in the stomach region, including hormones and neurotransmitters such as Serotonin, Dopamine, Glutamate, GABA and Norepinephrine. The gut contains 100 million neurons – more than the spinal cord. But there are also two-dozen small brain proteins; major cells of the immune system; one class of the body’s natural opiates; and native benzodiazepines. The gut, known as the enteric nervous system, is located in sheaths of tissue lining the esophagus, stomach, small intestine and colon, and plays a key role in human emotions. But few know the enteric nervous system exists, and therefore gut health is often overlooked. Symptoms from the two brains can get confused, and just as the brain can upset the gut, the gut can also upset the brain.

The brain signals the gut region by talking to a small number of command neurons, which in turn signal relay neurons that carry messages and control the pattern of activity in the gut. The term Solar Plexus simply refers to the nerves in the abdomen. But these plexuses also contain cells that nourish neurons and are involved in immune response and the protection of the “blood brain barrier” to keep harmful substances away from the important neurons. There are also sensors for sugar, protein, acid and other factors that monitor the progress of digestion, determining how the gut mixes and handles its contents.

During sleep, the head’s brain produces 90-minute cycles of slow wave sleep, followed by periods of rapid eye movement (REM) where dreams occur. During the night, when it is empty, the gut’s brain produces 90-minute slow wave muscle contractions, followed by short bursts of rapid muscle movement. These two brains are linked even in sleep. Individuals with bowel problems have been shown to also have abnormal REM sleep.

When the central brain encounters severe tension, it releases stress hormones that prepare the body for flight or fight. The stomach in turn contains many sensory nerves that are stimulated by this chemical surge – thus the feeling of butterflies. Fear also causes the Serotonin circuits in the gut to increase their intensity, resulting in diarrhea.

Both stimulation and inhibition are important to the normal transmission of messages. GABA neurons selectively slow the excited responses, which is why benzodiazepines are known to dampen experiences. GABA enhancing drugs such as benzodiazepines and sleeping pills perform a sedative force on the GABA receptors. But GABA is meant to only periodically regulate the excited transmissions, and the long-term intensification of GABA can decrease the receptor’s ability to reduce excitation – thus creating increased anxiety, insomnia and depression. 

Sleep and waking is regulated by many neurotransmitters including Noradrenaline, Serotonin, Acetyl-Choline, Dopamine, GABA, the pituitary hormones and Melatonin. Any drugs that alter the balance of these neurotransmitters can also affect sleep. The answer is not to add more GABA, Serotonin or other chemicals, but to restore the equilibrium of chemical production.

There is a natural symphony of chemicals in the stomach region that balance our emotions, sleep, pain and energy. Benzodiazepines cause profound alterations throughout the brain and gut and an eventual reduction in GABA levels. Dose tolerance and abrupt withdrawals may be accompanied by uncontrolled release of Dopamine, Serotonin and other neurotransmitters. Lower GABA levels cause an increase in Norepinephrine that encourages quick emotional responses such as anger, and discourages deliberate logical thinking. High Norepinephrine causes adrenalin to be released, which can cause the heart to beat faster and harder. This also causes red corpuscle reserves to be placed in the bloodstream, which in turn causes energy sources, nutrients and oxygen to be diverted from organs and into the muscles. This is where high blood pressure occurs.

But low GABA also causes a decrease in Serotonin, which makes sleep difficult and causes depression, irritability and a lack of rational emotion. The benzodiazepine receptors are also involved in the regulation of pain perception, modulation of the immune and inflammatory systems, and the protection of cells from damage by free radicals. This helps to explain why continued use of benzodiazepines can increase pain and cause a breakdown of the immune system, while also inducing anxiety and insomnia.

Often a painkiller is added. But pain medication lowers natural Opioid levels, resulting in abnormal pain perception - causing an increase in Dopamine release that leads to anxiety. Continued Dopamine release causes emotional fatigue. Low Opioid levels also cause the lowering of GABA, which can increase anxiety, insecurity, unexplained panic and depression.  And low GABA causes a decrease in Serotonin, which makes sleep difficult and causes irritability and a lack of rational emotion. The Serotonin reduction further decreases Opioid levels, and the Stress Cycle repeats with increasing intensity. Every time one neurotransmitter is altered, it starts a chain reaction in the remaining chemicals.

Because many medications stimulate sensory nerves in the stomach, they can also cause nausea, constipation or diarrhea. Even some antibiotics act on gut receptors, causing cramps and nausea. Drugs like morphine and benzodiazepines attach to the gut’s GABA receptors and produce constipation. SSRIs work by redistributing neurotransmitters such as Serotonin and Norepinephrine, which can cause constipation or diarrhea. Therefore, a healthy stomach is essential to keep the precise balance of chemicals for optimal mental and physical health.

Various chemicals in the stomach also work to breakdown food. They include the digestive enzymes pepsin, rennin and lipase, but also the production of hydrochloric acid to establish a suitable environment for the enzymes and assist in digestion.

Often additional medications are added to stop the production of stomach acid in an attempt to ease gas, bloating and pain. But without adequate acid, the entire sequence of digestion can become compromised, since gastric acid is necessary for optimal digestion and nutrient assimilation. Hydrochloric acid is the prevalent stomach acid that is secreted naturally and is necessary to breakdown and absorb protein; activate enzymes; and for the absorption of carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals. The presence of acid also assists in muscle contractions that push food through the intestines while destroying parasites, bacteria, fungi and other invaders. Without sufficient acid, microorganisms that are normally destroyed can proliferate, raising the risk of gastrointestinal infections. Additionally, the acid coming from the stomach tells the pancreas and gall bladder to pour alkaline juices in the small intestine. Without the alkaline release, a systemic acid level can build to dangerous levels, and has been associated with cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer. And of course, an imbalance in the stomach adversely affects the brain, resulting in increased anxiety, depression and insomnia.

The digestive tract should have 400 types of healthy bacteria that reduce the growth of harmful bacteria and promote a healthy digestive system. Antibiotics not only kill the harmful bacteria, but also destroy beneficial bacteria essential to a healthy digestive tract. This in turn impairs digestion and the assimilation of nutrients. But stress, medications, poor diet and even treated city water that contain chlorine and sodium fluoride all contribute to the breakdown of the healthy stomach bacteria. Therefore, it is important to replenish the friendly bacteria to promote good gut health.

A healthy lower intestine should contain at least 85% friendly bacteria to prevent the over colonization of microorganisms like E. coli and salmonella. Our bodies can sustain healthy states with 15% bad bacteria, but unfortunately most have the balance inverted.  The human body should have 20 times more beneficial bacteria than cells to maintain a healthy intestinal tract and help fight illness and disease.

Probiotics are carefully prepared friendly bacteria that replenish the microbial balance. Probiotics can support the immune system by protecting the body from unfriendly organisms, while preventing the overgrowth of yeast and fungus. Poor intestinal flora can contribute to depression by altering the immune system and the natural production of enzymes that assist with the absorption of nutrients. While excessive harmful bacteria by-products can interfere with the production of neurotransmitters, beneficial bacteria eases gas, bloating, constipation and diarrhea, while supporting the production of chemicals that are inherent to life.

Good health fundamentally depends upon the friendly, symbiotic bacteria that inhabit the digestive tract and promote health. Gut health is an essential component of our general wellbeing, and Probiotics contain millions of live beneficial bacteria that bolster and replenish the microflora in the gut region.

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD = NOW only on TRILEPTAL 450mg began w/900mg 7/16 -- off LITHIUM 600mg (sometimes 300mg 5/15 -11/16 took 2 months to taper) .... XANAX 2 mg for 2 weeks but addicted in 6/16 tapered 7/16-9/16 JUMPED 9/30 (believe have kindling from previous benzos)
6 meds nightly for INSOMNIA includes XANAX .. BELSOMRA 20mg c/t 8/20/16 off & on for a yr ZANAFLEX 8 mg /SILENOR 6mg/PROZASIN 15 mg/DOXEPIN 50 mg on all nightly 2 months 6/16 - 7/16 except for silenor (year) wd ALL 8/16-9/16 w/pdoc help
c/t KLONOPIN .5mg which began INSOMNIA end of 3/15 after on for 4 months also horrible sound& light sensitivity sometimes took 2 or 3 reinstated & then c/t@hospital 5/15 on TEMPAZEPAM/SEROQUEL/LITHIUM when left hospital tolerance to temazepam after 1 month given ATIVAN in hospital& later
SEROQUEL started @ 200 mg and overnight to 800 mg had horrible akathasisia & rash DEPAKOTE 1000 mg off after few wks ALL I COULD ENDURE
then AMBIEN side effects & tolerance on for few months 5/15 - 8/15 and then again 2 mos 5/16 LATUDA 3/16 on days BAD/GEODON 4/16 on less 2 weeks BAD AKATHASIA/ZYPREXA bad mouth shaking almost 24/7 off & on few months in 2015 & again in 2016
trazodon/remeron/gabapentin/sonata/lunesta did nothing to help INSOMNIA so got off after few days - also short time SAPHRIS BAD 
MEDICATION SENSITIVE & have paradoxical side effects -- CANNOT TAKE BENZOS, ATYPICAL-ANTIPSYCHOTICS, ANTI-DEPRESSANTS
PAST prior to 2 yrs on Prozac even1/4 pill caused BAD ANXIETY, CELEXA OK, Abilify, Pristiq, Lamictal, Paxil BAD - more but can't remember
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yyeehhaaww

• ChessieCat

• AliG

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE HELP

Do probiotics help or hurt withdrawal?  Have pain in upper right abdominal area == that is why worred about about liver.... that is why I wanted off trileptal quickly.. probably already have damage from lithium off and on for few years.

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD = NOW only on TRILEPTAL 450mg began w/900mg 7/16 -- off LITHIUM 600mg (sometimes 300mg 5/15 -11/16 took 2 months to taper) .... XANAX 2 mg for 2 weeks but addicted in 6/16 tapered 7/16-9/16 JUMPED 9/30 (believe have kindling from previous benzos)
6 meds nightly for INSOMNIA includes XANAX .. BELSOMRA 20mg c/t 8/20/16 off & on for a yr ZANAFLEX 8 mg /SILENOR 6mg/PROZASIN 15 mg/DOXEPIN 50 mg on all nightly 2 months 6/16 - 7/16 except for silenor (year) wd ALL 8/16-9/16 w/pdoc help
c/t KLONOPIN .5mg which began INSOMNIA end of 3/15 after on for 4 months also horrible sound& light sensitivity sometimes took 2 or 3 reinstated & then c/t@hospital 5/15 on TEMPAZEPAM/SEROQUEL/LITHIUM when left hospital tolerance to temazepam after 1 month given ATIVAN in hospital& later
SEROQUEL started @ 200 mg and overnight to 800 mg had horrible akathasisia & rash DEPAKOTE 1000 mg off after few wks ALL I COULD ENDURE
then AMBIEN side effects & tolerance on for few months 5/15 - 8/15 and then again 2 mos 5/16 LATUDA 3/16 on days BAD/GEODON 4/16 on less 2 weeks BAD AKATHASIA/ZYPREXA bad mouth shaking almost 24/7 off & on few months in 2015 & again in 2016
trazodon/remeron/gabapentin/sonata/lunesta did nothing to help INSOMNIA so got off after few days - also short time SAPHRIS BAD 
MEDICATION SENSITIVE & have paradoxical side effects -- CANNOT TAKE BENZOS, ATYPICAL-ANTIPSYCHOTICS, ANTI-DEPRESSANTS
PAST prior to 2 yrs on Prozac even1/4 pill caused BAD ANXIETY, CELEXA OK, Abilify, Pristiq, Lamictal, Paxil BAD - more but can't remember
  • Moderator Emeritus

Probiotics are fine for some people and cause big difficulties for others.  I have noticed a few people comment that if taken while already suffering bad w/d, it tends to make it worse.  There are foods you can eat (described in that link) which are gentler ways of getting probiotics. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

HELP....I'm sorry I don't know which link..... I am so messed up.  

I just got back from having another ct scan with barium AND the iodine iv and probably damaged everything from that s**t.  This is the 2nd one I have had === first in August but no barium.   Of course, everything is normal even though I have chronic bad upper right abdominal pain and diarrhea  for months??????????

I guess this is all the medication withdrawal .I know my pcp thinks I am crazy and I do too.  I will never be well... 

I haven't had anything to eat but 2 clementines because of test and almost passed out when they took out the IV.  I am soooo sick.  

Please forgive.  Am old, sick and dying.  Plus the holidays and we are estranged from our only daughter with no communication whatsoever for 17 months.   She is a nurse practitioner.  

Oh, and thank you Karen B for your reply, time, help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Probiotics

Slow down yeehaw, breathe...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

what helps withdrawal abdominal pain and diarrhea?  I have been able to find help for several symptoms, but I guess I am worn out and stupid.  Diet of course, but gaps and scd seem really limited and complex.  Need easy.

PLEASE ANYONE ....Is upper right abdominal pain caused by all my med withdrawals?  Am I going mad?  what is wrong?  what is going on?  

I am hurting and need help.  I know everyone is busy.  I know this is peer not professionals and I am not paying.  I feel lost and ignored.  I do not understand .... lots of people post and get replies almost every time they post  ..... is it the title of my thread?  I have been waiting for feedback and willing to wait since holiday is here, but feel like no one will.  Am I too messed up to be here? I feel unliked 

YH.  I'm so sorry that you feel lost and ignored. I understand how confusing and at times overwhelming this process can be but rest assured there is no intent to neglect you in any way. Sometimes, when it's busy posts can get overlooked.

It's a Thanksgiving holiday over there and I think that probably accounts for the delay in responding to your post. Another factor is probably the content of your last question. It is extremely hard to give you an accurate answer to that question.

Have you decided to stay at your current dose ? Or increase slightly ?

What other questions or concerns do you have ?  I'm happy to try and address them . ( it's not a holiday here. ) :)

We always try do our best to help but unfortunately given the constraints, it can be difficult at times.

I hope you understand.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

thank you so much Ali.... I an sorry and apologize.  

I look at some of others' posts and they have many responses, and wonder what is wrong with mine. Not so popular or attractive.  Do I need to change the title?  I do not want tons of replies and am not trying to be selfish.  I sorta understand in my head, but my emotions are so messed up..  I try to suck it up.  Thankful I have a husband who tries to understand but really doesn't who is pretty much doing everything here and have a sister but she keeps wanting me to do ECT which is very discouraging as she really does not understand even though she was c/t off of prozac and shot herself in the chest and somehow missed her heart and only knicked her lung.  I think I am very lonely and the holiday is really messing with me since my only daughter has nothing to do with us for over 17months.  We did not abuse her, and if anything she was spoiled.  She is a nurse practitioner in Baltimore.  I believe my mental illness and my husband's anger caused her to hate me.  I am in deep anguish and hurt over that.  That pain is even more than all my med withdrawal pain, so that says a lot if you look at all the stupid crap I have been on in the last 2 years.  I know this is not a counseling place.  I just started seeing one last week after trying to find one for many months who would not want me drugged.  They say losing a child (usually death) is one of the most painful things to experience.  Losing a child by their choice is an even more devastating wound than very few can grasp if they have not experienced.  Maybe I need to post somewhere else here to connect????   I left bb after I posted once I wanted to die and again for wanting to leave this earth.  I was reprimanded.  I have no friends or people to talk with.  No one understands.

I just feel really lost and that I will never heal.  

I am staying at 450 mg of trileptal. but do you know when to start tapering.   I know no one can tell me that.   I am not in high anxiety like I was.  I have so many symptoms, but they are not debilitating.  If I wait to feel well like used to will never be there so will never get off of my last evil poison.  I used to be so healthy before 2015.  Now have been so sick phsyically and psychologically and am doomed to this existence and not living. Am depressed.  

My abdominal pain I do not know what to do.  Not really sure was all withdrawal related until had ct scan yesterday again.  Am sure the iodine contrast iv and the barium sulfate drink will also probably impact my body, withdrawal, and kill me.  I should not have had it done. I should have known it was the stupid poly drug cocktail.  Should not have called my pcp trying to figure it out.  I really feel like I would be better off in a coma not feeling pain.

I think I might (?????) could take the loss of my daughter IF I was not dealing with the withdrawal and tapering.  She was born on Thanksgiving Day and will turn 31 on Monday so it is double whammy.  

There is really no need to apologize.  Emotions get amplified in withdrawal and most of us have experienced this at some point. We do understand.

Neuro emotions

I'm so sorry about your daughter. I understand how their absence can be painful especially during the holidays. My daughter is living overseas and this will be my second Xmas without her. I miss her terribly.

I understand how a birthday can intensify feelings also.

It's probably wise to stay at your current dose and stabilize. Are you still on Levaquin ?

Have you read this topic ? You might find it helpful.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3413-digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhea-bloating-gerd/

Also this article on Nutrition& Gut Health, mental health& diet

https://beyondmeds.com/gut-health/

This section might be helpful for you to read and possibly participate in.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/11-relationships/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6297-texas-members-please-check-in-here/

I hope this helps. Please don't give up hope. You will heal in time.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Ali, thanks for replying. I am very sorry about your daughter.  I hope you get to communicate with her.  

I have not talked to mine nor received an email reply or Facebook.. in over 17months. nothing.  I have left voicemail messages, text, emails, and snail mail.  I have apologized and reached out with no response.   

Are you healed?

YH,  Thankyou. Yes we Skype which helps and I'm healing, with a little way to go yet.  :)

It's great that you have found a sympathetic counsellor. That will hopefully be of great benefit to you to have someone that you can talk through these personal issues with.

I hope you have a read through those links listed above when you get a chance. I think you will find them helpful.

Thank you.

I am very sorry am overwhelmed to read  the articles last night and today..  Have tried but need helpful easy words... cannot read a lot like usually can.  cut sugar and caffeine for a long time and dairy almost all and trying to do gluten free....still eat carbs like sweet potatoes recently white potatoes but do not think they are good but confused it good or not

little brown rice and some potatoes and noodles rarely when we eat at senior meal place cheap for lunch... do not fix at home...think i need probiotic but unsure if do or which one ... too messed up right now to figure it out... want to do gaps/scd or paleo,.... stressed by them and implementing.  I do not know how to live... house is totally unclean, cluttered, unkept.  chaos everywhere....2 years

Currently take

Levothyroxin 50 mcg for thyroid from lithium

Lisinopril 20/25 for blood pressure

Amlopidine 5 mg for blood pressure since lisinopril not working enough and it still is not so increased yesterday ... bp 170+/80

Vitamin D3 5000 mg from Sams

Vitamin B12 500 mg whole foods

Magnesium 100 mg 2 X daily doctors best

TRILEPTAL ugh 450 mg and holding on tapering

Wished I could skype with my daughter.  Heck I wished I could talk to her on phone....even just an email or text one sentence few words even just 1 word hello... to have a little contact.  I have read about estrangement and believe I will never see or hear from her again.

http://wildtruth.net/about/

I often try to think about what I am thankful for.to distract.. my faith, my husband, my house, that we have a car, food, money in bank..... trying to focus on that again today.  Have no joy... sadness and anxiety and depression about everything in past present and future.  Trying to deep breathe.  Tired of all of this.  I am sorry for negativity.  wished I could go to counselor today that started last week.... think i need it 24/7.

please change my title to how do I keep going because I don't... thank you... it is not just about the trileptal

please change my title to DESPAIR...how do I keep going?

because I don't...

thank you... it is not just about the trileptal

YH. It's ok. You're probably just having one of those days.  :blink:  

I haven't told you or anyone else here this and rarely mention it but I have an older son who doesn't communicate with us or his younger brother or sister or rest of family at all for no apparent reason. It has been at least 12 months or maybe longer since I had as much as a text message from him. It breaks my heart . He is apparently  "going through" something and chooses to cut himself off from us for his own reasons. I have no idea why.

I do understand and empathize.

Have a think about your Intro thread title for a few days. If you choose that as your Intro that's up to you but it's not positive. I would rather see you choose something more uplifting.

Ali  

Oh, Ali, YOU understand. I am sorry you too are going through this.  I wished I could comfort you ... I wished I could comfort myself.  It is like a death and grief.  

Unfortunately, I put all my eggs in one basket and she is the only child I had.  So much pain last 17 months from her on top of all this .....Knowing how much she hates us is unbearable. I usually keep it stuffed but it is overpowering and overtaking me.  I am debilitated.  

Went to grocery store with husband's help a few minutes ago...... so much stress just going.  thought I was going to faint in store... so dizzying trying to make decisons on just a few items... how crazy I am... carrots none in first store but organic.... 5 lbs $3.98... green beans almost all gone .. had to stand there and pick through all the rotten ones....next store had carrots bulk $.69... got some of those... wanted to take others back but could not handle any more of anything....first store no cranberry sauce for husband not me... found at 2nd store..  trying with hubbie's help to cook a turkey breast.  I used to cook a 7 course meal for several all by myself.  Now cannot do anything.  Just to live ... sleep and eat... beyond my ability to get through.... knew could not take crowds going out to eat plus fake turkey and junk not clean food.... but how do I keep going and doing so very little is like me trying to go to the moon on my own.  Husband just said I do all the work while you just sit there.  My sister has not called me in days... never had me over for thanksgiving ever.... I had her for years.... forgotten by her as well.

I want trileptal out of my title ... is 

How do I keep going?

bad?

I think seeing trileptal just makes me sicker knowing it is hanging over my head.  I'm sorry for all my negativity.  I really do want to be well and function, but know it is impossible.   I am so very, very sorry for my negative attitude.  I am going mad..... I cannot take more drugs... I cannot go to hospital..... No wonder people want to be numbed out from all this pain of life   I am losing it and going insane from everything.

• Administrator
However, at that point, I will cut 75 mg which is below the original 10% of 900 mg or 90 mg I should have done. I cannot cut the 300 mg pill below 75 mg without it disentegrating so I cannot get to 45 mg.  I do not want to do a water titration - tried that with klonopin.

Please base your calculations on your CURRENT dosage, not the original dosage. See Tips for tapering off Trileptal (oxcarbazepine)

Gut problems are very common in benzo withdrawal syndrome and other drug withdrawal. Treat your gut gently. Something like mashed potatoes is easier on it than solid food. Eat good, fresh food, avoid additives.

Look for low-inflammation foods. Chicken, rice, and zucchini is a classic low-irritation meal.

How do you do with monosodium glutamate, often put in Chinese food? If you don't react to it, you might try glutamine capsules or powder, 1 gram mixed with a glass of water two or three times a day. This helps an irritated gut to heal.

Do you eat yogurt or kefir? That can be soothing. But if you get a bad reaction to it, probiotics are not for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thanks alto

almost 2 months post xanax... still on 450 mg trileptal holding...

the there is nothing wrong with me abdominal pain upper right is unrelenting off the charts intensifying... Whole Foods and grocery stores are closed so can get no probiotics or yogurt.  Husband watching Cowboys cannot sleep.... do not know what to do

how do you copy a post?  can't seem to do it?

please help me anybody... just slept an hour woke up because of pain in abdomen... husband said to take metamucil which is what er dr said in august but does not make sense ... pain is far worse than then but ct scan on tuesday said everything is normal.... took metamucil which has sucrose which is sugar so bad.... psyllium ...  will that just make it worse.  Took trileptal 450 mg and magnesium 100 mg around 7:30 CST hoping to sleep... which usually is 4 hours or less followed by a couple of more on good nights.  Guess there will be no sleep tonight with this pain.  PLEASE any words of advice

• Moderator Emeritus

Is the pain just below the ribs on the right side?

Or is it below your waist?

If it is below your waist, did they check your appendix?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Oh, Chessie.  Thank you ... it is above.  Please help ... Anxiety is back and cannot sleep.  I am afraid and do not know what to do.  Please help me.  

I cannot find alto's post to me about what trileptal did to liver enzyme 450.... where is it?  I do not know what to do to help it

I'm sorry I do not know what to do to help ... took everything early trying to help ... cannot calm down...150 mg trileptal and magnesium...and blood pressure meds and vitamine d and b12... feel like just taking whole bottle of trileptal and ending this....please help me as I cannot figure this out.

i do not know what to do  hot/cold  going to bathroom hourly or more please

please tell me what i am doing wrong

today is worse than yesterday and last night my husband is yelling at me he is tired of this... i am getting worse i do not know what to do  please tell me 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry that you are in pain and that your husband is frustrated and has chose to express that by yelling at you.  It's the last thing that either of you need right now. Can one of you go for a walk or a drive?

You are not doing anything wrong. Symptoms come and go, intensify and weaken with no apparent reason.

Please look at the information at these 2 links:
How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"
Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Your CNS (central nervous system) has its own wisdom and logic during withdrawal and recovery. We can't explain the specific "reasons" why any given symptom appears or why a symptom persists longer and stronger than others. You are doing nothing wrong.

Alto's' post about trileptal and liver enzyme 450 is in the first post of this topic: Tapering trileptal

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Administrator

yyeeeh, your liver is towards your back, not in your front. Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

To quote a post, click on the Quote button at the bottom left of the post.

We're not going to be of much help with a medical problem, such as diverticulitis, pancreatitis, or appendicitis. You have to make sure your doctor has considered all kinds of digestive disorders.

Gas pains can be very painful. It sounds like that is what your doctor thinks you have. You can get psyllium powder without additives, check Whole Foods. This might help, or it might make the problem worse. If you try it, try a little bit first.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you Scallywag and Alto.  I am grateful for any help.  trying to read it all.  Thank you.   I hope you both have a good recovery. today.  

Here are drugs currently taking.  I hope I did it right.

Interactions between your selected drugs  
Moderate
hydrochlorothiazide  benazepril  

Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril, amlodipine / benazepril

Although hydrochlorothiazide and benazepril are frequently combined together, their effects may be additive on lowering your blood pressure. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take both medications. Contact your doctor if you have a reduced heart rate, dizziness, fainting, or headaches. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate
hydrochlorothiazide  cholecalciferol  

Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)

Using hydrochlorothiazide together with cholecalciferol can cause your blood calcium levels to become too high. Contact your doctor if you experience symptoms such as dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, lethargy, headache, nausea, vomiting, or seizures. You may need a dose adjustment or special test if you use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
amlodipine  oxcarbazepine  

Applies to: amlodipine / benazepril, Trileptal (oxcarbazepine)

OXcarbazepine may reduce the blood levels and effects of amLODIPine. Contact your doctor if your symptoms worsen or your condition changes during treatment with these medications. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
cholecalciferol  oxcarbazepine  

Applies to: Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), Trileptal (oxcarbazepine)

Using OXcarbazepine together with cholecalciferol may decrease the effects of cholecalciferol. Contact your doctor if your condition changes. If your doctor does prescribe these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special test to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Minor
hydrochlorothiazide  amlodipine  

Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril, amlodipine / benazepril

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed. 

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

Minor
amlodipine  lisinopril  

Applies to: amlodipine / benazepril, hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed. 

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs and diseases that your selected drugs interact with   Interactions between your selected drugs and food  
Moderate
levothyroxine  food  

Applies to: levothyroxine

The timing of meals relative to your levothyroxine dose can affect absorption of the medication. Therefore, levothyroxine should be taken on a consistent schedule with regard to time of day and relation to meals to avoid large fluctuations in blood levels, which may alter its effects. In addition, absorption of levothyroxine may be decreased by foods such as soybean flour, cotton seed meal, walnuts, dietary fiber, calcium, and calcium fortified juices. These foods should be avoided within several hours of dosing if possible. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor. When levothyroxine is given during continuous enteral nutrition (tube feedings) for more than 7 days, the tube feeding should be interrupted for at least one hour before and one hour after the dose of levothyroxine. You may need more frequent blood tests to monitor levothyroxine levels.

Moderate
benazepril  food  

Applies to: amlodipine / benazepril

It is recommended that if you are taking benazepril you should be advised to avoid moderately high or high potassium dietary intake. This can cause high levels of potassium in your blood. Do not use salt substitutes or potassium supplements while taking benazepril, unless your doctor has told you to.

Moderate
lisinopril  food  

Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril

It is recommended that if you are taking lisinopril you should be advised to avoid moderately high or high potassium dietary intake. This can cause high levels of potassium in your blood. Do not use salt substitutes or potassium supplements while taking lisinopril, unless your doctor has told you to.

Moderate
oxcarbazepine  food  

Applies to: Trileptal (oxcarbazepine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of OXcarbazepine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with OXcarbazepine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of OXcarbazepine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Minor
amlodipine  food  

Applies to: amlodipine / benazepril

OK, am really struggling with everything going on and feel so bad.    

I am going to ask this and bare my soul.  Have posted have no friends.   A sister who have not talked to in days and she wants me to have ect.  Tired of me being like this... like I do.  My husband is also tired of all of this as well.. like I'm not.  He is mad, yelling at me earlier and very distant and withdrawn and does not care any nore.   Estranged from daughter.   Have no one to talk to about anything.  Am too sick to go anywhere with all the anxiety, depression, physical pains and side effects and do not know where to go any way as too much stress to drive and be out is more than I can handle.   Sit almost all day.  Am extremely lonely and know have too any problems and am not attractive.  If anyone is in the same situation, what is the answer?  Started seeing therapist last week but have to make it to Monday appointment.  Even in desperation after husband yelled, I called him, but he had no real ideas to help me except prayer and read my Bible or to go to emergency room or call my pcp who is not in office today any way and he thinks I am crazy. or call suicide line.  Yeah, then they will come and take me away.  I probably need to be in hospital but that is not the answer.  Will only be drugged more.  Where do hurting people go who have no one?  How do you keep going?.