Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:30 AM
Ermintrude -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)
You ask a good question about Effexor. Some people do switch to Prozac, but because the switch isn't always smooth. People can and do get withdrawal symptoms as the Effexor dose is decreased and then discontinued.
Please post more about your switch to Prozac, specifically
- were you taking Effexor XR (one/day) or Effexor, the immediate release version, (multiple doses/day)
- what was your starting dose of Effexor
- on what date did you start taking Prozac and at what dose
- what were the steps down of Effexor dose and up in Prozac dose
- how long were you at each step
- on what date did you take your last dose of Effexor
- Also, A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?
- Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
- Any drugs prior to 18 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
- You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
- We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
- You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
- If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 8 and Post 9
Here are some information topics relevant to your situation:
I've added tags to your thread. When you click on one of them, you'll get a list of threads with the same tag. That may help you to find others who have made a switch to Prozac, though not necessarily from Effexor.
Please have a look at the linked topics. If you have any questions, please post them here in your introduction.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, exact doses and dates in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15; 5.1 mg (47) Mar. 25; 4.9 mg (45) Apr. 5; 4.5 mg (42) Apr. 14; 3.5 mg (32) Apr. 26;
Current dose: 2.6 mg (24) 2017-May-17
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet