SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Not quite psychiatry, but an AMA / AHRPA stranglehold on MD

JanCarol

• Moderator Emeritus

From:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-30/low-carb-advice-lands-doctor-in-hot-water/8078748

Where there is a video from the 7:30 report.

A Tasmanian surgeon who was told by the nation's medical watchdog to stop giving specific nutritional advice is one of several cases that prompted a Senate committee to call for an inquiry into the agency.

Gary Fettke is an orthopaedic surgeon and an advocate of a low carbohydrate diet.

He said he became passionate about nutrition after amputating limbs of diabetic patients whose diets were a big part of the problem.

"What I've been advocating for some years is cutting sugar down, particularly all the refined sugars in the diet," he said.

"Over time that's evolved, and it's evolved to what I call low carb, healthy fat.

"It's just eating lots of vegetables, pasture-fed meat and the right amount of oil in the form of things like nuts, avocado, cheese, olive oil and fish."

One of his patients, Julian Robinson, who had to have his leg amputated because of complications from diabetes, said the diet changed his life for the better.

Two and a half years later the watchdog found he was working outside his scope of practise and was not qualified to give specific nutritional advice, and he was ordered to stop speaking about the low carbohydrate, high fat diet.

"The committee does not accept that your medicine studies of themselves provide sufficient education or training to justify you providing specific advice or recommendations to patients or the public about nutrition and diet, such as the LCHF lifestyle concept," it read.

Dr Fettke said the findings could have repercussions for other health professionals.

"I've been contacted by many doctors. I know the AMA has been contacted by many doctors as well as the medical protection society.

"And it's not just for doctors, it's for nurses who are working in outreach areas, even nurses in the community, dentists, pharmacists, chiropractors. You go to your cardiologist and he tells you what to eat, you go to a neurosurgeon and he tells you what to eat, gastroenterologist and all of them, by definition, don't have a major training in nutrition and yet they're all giving advice."

The AHPRA investigation also raised concerns about things he was posting on his website and social media accounts, saying his posts online may be misinterpreted by people who might conclude reducing sugar could slow or cure cancer.

"Never have I said that it's an alternative to the treatment of radiotherapy, surgery and chemotherapy. Very specifically we need to be thinking about our nutrition as an adjunctive therapy to the current ones," he said.

The AHPRA investigation also raised concerns that Dr Fettke had pushed patients into the diet, an accusation he denies.

"You cannot push a way of eating onto a person. All I've ever done is told patients that there is a choice, that there is an option that's out there."

AHPRA itself is now in the spotlight. Prompted by Dr Fettke's case, a Senate committee has recommended a new inquiry be held into AHPRA, the complaints process and whether changes are needed.

Tasmanian Greens senator Peter Whish-Wilson sat on the initial inquiry.

"What the committee found was that to a lot of practitioners, the AHPRA process itself, the investigative process, the notifications process is being perceived to be bullying and intimidation as well," Senator Whish-Wilson said.

He said he was concerned Dr Fettke's investigation was the result of a vexatious complaint.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

This is interesting to me, because this is very similar to the diet that my endocrinologist wants me to follow.

I wonder about conflict-of-interest, as this follows on the heels of the firing of Dr. MaryAnne Demasi from ABC-TV and the cancelling of the Australian TV science show, Catalyst.

They are unrelated events, but indicative of a trend in Australia which commands:  "Do not question Medical Protocols, do not try alternative medicine."

This has huge implications for those who are seeking alternatives to psychiatry, and bears watching.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy