Kris: Cymbalta reinstatement?

Kris

Woke up this morning shaking and slight heart palpitations.

5/16-10/16Cymbalta 60mg atarax 50mg rid still taking Zoloft11/16-11/16 clonazepam .5mg tid still taking lexapro11/16-11/16 paxil2/16-5/16 reinstated 5mg cymbalta 8 days ago take dose @330pm with atarax 50mg and clonazepam .5mg three times a day added 3mg melatonin 250mg magnesium oxide 1200fish oil

I took 5mg cymbalta at 330pm yesterday (day 7) and didn't start feeling better until around 7 or so. Would increasing my dose to maybe 8mg help with the shaking and anxiety,and headache? So far after the seven days of reinstatement diarrhea has went away and the stomach pain and I have been able to eat a little more but still have no appetite. I am still shaky and restless?

5/16-10/16Cymbalta 60mg atarax 50mg rid still taking Zoloft11/16-11/16 clonazepam .5mg tid still taking lexapro11/16-11/16 paxil2/16-5/16 reinstated 5mg cymbalta 8 days ago take dose @330pm with atarax 50mg and clonazepam .5mg three times a day added 3mg melatonin 250mg magnesium oxide 1200fish oil

Or should I stay at the dose I am at and ask my doctor for propranolol I heard this helps? I also having alot of like sinus pain and pressure?

• Moderator Emeritus

Kris, your thread is now at 2 pages. It is time consuming for me, other moderators and members to read your entire thread.  Working with others on this site is a two-way street. To assist you, we need you both to act on our requests about posting and to answer our questions.

Please update your signature to show

• your current medications,
  • their doses and
  • the date that you started taking that dose.

This is the 4th time I've made this request. You haven't acknowledged this request. If you are having difficulty with even commenting about the signature, doing a taper with only peer-support on an internet site may not be appropriate for you right now.

You might consider either

• splitting your dose so that you take 2.5 mg when you currently do (or in the evening) and 2.5 mg in the morning
    -- or --
  • continuing with 5 mg when you currently take it and add 2.5 mg in the morning. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I'm sorry I'm trying to do this by phone and I'm not sure what ur wanting from me

I hope I did this right sorry to upset anyone

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for taking the time to update your signature.

You might consider either

• splitting your dose so that you take 2.5 mg when you currently do (or in the evening) and 2.5 mg in the morning

-- or --

• continuing with 5 mg when you currently take it and add 2.5 mg in the morning.

Please let us know what you choose to do with either splitting the cymbalta dose or adding 2.5 mg at another time of day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kris, what did you decide to do? How are things going for you?

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Kris - 

about ,7 am I am experiencing panic attacks and all the other symptoms again. Is this normal 

Yep, perfectly normal.  We prefer to call them "Cortisol spikes," as it's a physical "fight or flight" response to the daily morning increase in cortisol.  You can read more here:  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/

You may also wish to look at this one:  Irregular heartbeats, paltpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia

While heart palpitations and vomiting is alarming - it may still just be "normal withdrawal" symptoms.  Many of us have suffered nausea (95% of the body's serotonin is in the gut), and unusual cardio effects from these drugs.

Of course, if you are concerned about the cardio - you can always get it checked out - but it sounds like a panic reaction.  Many of us have been helped by listening to and learning from Claire Weekes:  Dr. Claire Weekes - Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

There are a lot of symptoms which are, um, "normal" with these drugs.  Here is a list of the most common ones - you can check the list to see if your symptoms are here:  

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Most Common symptoms of Withdrawal

You can also print out a bunch of these, and use them as a symptom log to track how your symptoms change, wax and wane.  Healing comes in Waves and Windows, so you may have some good times, followed by harder times.  This is also normal, in healing from antidepressants.  

I've only read your first page so far, and it's 3 am, so I'll try and check in tomorrow to see how you are going.

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Kris:

This morning I took 50mg atarax and .5mg Klonopin because of the shakiness and heart racing. It's been an hour later and still shaky and now beginning to get a slight headache again. 

Please resist treating your drug symptoms with more drugs.  If you increase your benzos, you run the risk of increasing your tolerance to them, and they can kindle and become less effective or even stop working altogether.  Additionally, they are highly addictive and you will have to deal with coming off of them later, which is not a cakewalk.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2016/07/benzos-a-dance-with-the-devil/

k

Or should I stay at the dose I am at and ask my doctor for propranolol I heard this helps? I also having alot of like sinus pain and pressure? 

Please resist the urge to treat your drug side effects with more drugs.

I am in the process of going through a new wave of cardio tests (I am a 54 yo woman).  My functional medicine doctor has asked me to go to a GP to start the process.  I asked her:  "The GP is going to want to give me propanolol for this complaint, what should I do?"

She recommended I take the script (in other words, don't argue with the GP) and just never fill it.  

As the Powers That Be are knuckling down on opioid prescriptions, the next scripts to go under the FDA / DEA microscope are benzos.  In preparation for this, GP's and doctors are looking for alternatives.

The alternatives available are:

Anti-convulsants (like Lyrica)

Beta Blockers (like propanolol)

Antidepressants (which you are suffering from) and

"Antipsychotics" which quell all kinds of emotional intrusions

There are many websites which eagerly recommend drugs for treating symptoms, even for tweaking your performance.  This website is not one of them, as we see too many people suffering from drug withdrawal, symptoms, and side effect.

I also having alot of like sinus pain and pressure? 

Yep.  The withdrawal "flu."   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8632-flu-like-wd-vs-a-flu-like-virus-how-to-tell/

It has to do with your neurotransmitters, histamine receptors, etc., which are all in an uproar from the changes you've made.

Scally's suggestion to split your dose is one possibility.  You could increase your dose by 1 mg, or just 6 beads.  Your thoughts of going to 7.5 mg is a possibility - but might be too extreme, given the symptoms you are having.   It's better to go more slowly and cautiously.

3 KIS's Keep It Simple, Slow, Stable

I realize you are using from a phone, that makes it hard for you to get the full picture of what this site offers.  I have given you a lot of information, as has Scallywag - but you might want to go to a computer to login and do some reading.  I think that would help you immensely.

Here is a short 4 min video (I think Scally gave it to you, too, but I want to make sure if you only see one thing, you see this one):

Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (by Toxic Antidepressants)

Please let us know what you decide to do, or if we can be of further assistance.

and - I hope you see the sun today (I say that because I find sunlight so helpful to our emotional well being - I am off to get some, now).

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!