If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Scooter8484 Will late reinstatement of lexapro work for me in my situation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scooter8484

Scooter8484

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWinston salem

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

Sorry if this is in wrong forum and sorry its long but heres the deal... Im a 32 year old male. I Stopped lexapro 5mg in may of 2016. Starting to suffer major anxiety again after 6 and a half months off it. Suffering Major insomnia, either complete insomnia, zero sleep or paradoxical insomnia also known as sleep state misperception. Starting to think my brain is re wired.

Starting to have periods of detatchment, but I think thats related to lack of sleep. I never hallucinate which is weird, so i must sleep some but Im aware all night.

I stopped lexapro in a short weening period by tapering off slowly but probably too fast. Lexapro was causing bad insomnia. I even went to a sleep study with normal results. Im starting to feel like Im not all there at times. This comes and goes in spurts.

Physical symptoms like brain zaps, tremors, nausea etc are gone.

Confused if my extreme day time fatigue is my depression or lexapro withdrawl.

Oh, and i feel aware of whats going on at night when im asleep. Im almost certain its fatigue causing my depression because overall I enjoy going to work and getting things done but the lack of sleep is causing my anxiety, and im afraid if i go to the ER they will force me back on my antidepressants and i dont want to rely on those the rest of my life.

I thought lexapro was causing my reflux too.

Also i had anxiety before i first started lexapro several years back but my anxiety now is making me check to see if im breathing properly now. Sometimes i dont breathe,like my brain has a disconnect switch, and i have to force breathe. Also, i have to non chalantly lift my hand up to my mouth to see if air is blowing out, something i never experienced before i started lexapro. Its almost like an OCD trait. But, i use meditation to minimize it.

I was actually very happy on lexapro even when i was sleep deprived. I would be happy if i wasnt so tired all the time.

Plus I have non stop ear popping which Im going to an ent who wants to run a ct scan. Popping off and on for 6 years and no medicines have cured it. Not even allergies. Popping is at its worse now so they want to run a ct scan to see if i benefit from sinus surgery or ear tubes.

I think the popping might be due to loud noises and stress or this lexapro withdrawal because it has never been this bad.

Just wondering how I can best reinstate lexapro going off 5mg after this long already? but im almost willing to, just dont know if it will benefit me again this late. I stopped it once after a year with no side effects than started it back up on that 5mg for a few months and now im going through all this junk.

I finally got ahold on life through counseling in the past so i thought i could stop for good. Im doing great but I do believe its really the lexapro withdrawal combined with other health issues that are just annoyances.

Oh and now Im afraid to take any medicines because i had major severe reactions to non antihistamines and regular antihistamines a couple months ago. And, even, laxatives and a 2 day course of afrin. Never feared medicines before. I just use saline sprays. When i did take sleeping pills they never worked and melatonin i took recently but that did not work at an appropriate dose

Edited by Altostrata, 20 December 2016 - 03:20 PM.
added paragraph breaks

#2 Scooter8484

Scooter8484

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWinston salem

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

Also I avoid caffeine and stopped drinking alcohol back in june. Decided to take a break from it. 32 and partying days catching up to me lol.

#3 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationReading, UK and also Southwest, UK

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

I had that ear popping you describe for a while before I reinstated the Lexapro. After that it stopped, and have never had it since.
Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg dailyJune 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 daysSept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering.Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days.Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves".Nov 15th 2016 Re-start regular counsellingJan 19th 2017 Start CBT<p>Plan to re-start taper (liquid Cipralex/Escitalopram) Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 4th Jan 2017.

#4 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,737 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

Welcome, Scooter.

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Please review withdrawal symptoms here What is withdrawal syndrome?  Withdrawal insomnia is very common after going off psychiatric drugs. See
Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems Hypersensitivity to other drugs, even over-the-counter drugs, is also common.

Did your ear popping start during the time you were taking Lexapro?

Withdrawal can make tinnitus worse.

Physical symptoms like brain zaps, tremors, nausea etc are gone.

How long did you have withdrawal symptoms after you went off 5mg Lexapro? Does your "anxiety" have any daily pattern?

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivinganti...acids-fish-oil/
http://survivinganti...hannel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please add paragraph breaks to your posts. Long blocks of text are difficult to read.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#5 Scooter8484

Scooter8484

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWinston salem

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

Sorry im new to this website so my fault about long paragraph.

Still going through withdrawals it seems from 6 months ago. Mental withdrawals i believe. Anxiety is worse now than when i had anxiety long ago before first starting lexapro. I quit a couple years back and didnt go through withdrawal symptoms.

When i started back up again than quit again 6 months ago is when the withdrawal symptoms started. Physical withdrawal symptoms are gone with occasional tremors still. Now its mental.

The ear popping has been going on for 6 years off and on way before i knew about lexapro but there popping at their worse since i stopped 6 months ago. Been treated for eustachian tube dysfunction, otitis media, allergy testings etc. I know its physical ear popping not mental because they pop so easily at ease. But i still get confused.

#6 Frogie

Frogie

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hi Scooter8484

I just wondered if you get nausea from your Lexapro?

Take care,
Frogie xx
Previous medications and discontinuations: Zoloft, 1997 - 1999; switch to Paxil, 1999-2002, switch to Lexapro // Gabapentin, 900mg, 2010-2015: tapered of 9 weeks, last dose Sept. 2015, no symptoms // Lamictal, 300 mg, 2009-2015, taper of 6 weeks, last dose Oct 2015, no symptoms //Valium, 40 mg, 2008-2015, 8-week taper, last dose Dec 2015, no symptoms Current medications: Carafate 1mg (anti-ulcer med) 4x a day as needed. Prescribed but not taking it.Lexapro: 2002 - March 2016: 20 mg; Mar-Apr 2016: 8 week taper 20 mg - 10 mg; 8-June 9mg; 13-June10 mg; 11-Sep 7.5 mg; 25-Sep 5 mg; 5 Oct 10mg; started taking Liquid Lexapro in Nov 2016; started taper with liquid 1-Jan-17;9mg; 22-Jan 8.1mg; 22-Feb 7.3 mg; Xanax, 3 mg in 4 split doses, 2008-present Prilosec 40mg; 28- Aug started 25% taper; 1-Oct 20mg a.m. + 15mg p.m. Stopped Nov 26, 2016 w/rebound acid but not too bad.For nausea as needed: Zantac , 300mg only "as needed". Zofran 4mg for nausea; only take it when nausea is unbearable.Supplements[font=helvetica]: 150 mg Mag chloride, 350mg Krill Oil, Milk Thistle, Probiotic

#7 Scooter8484

Scooter8484

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWinston salem

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

I quit lexapro 6 months ago as stated in my question details. Thanks though.

#8 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,612 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

Scooter, You may have provided details in about your medication history when you registered with the site. Those aren't easily visible to all who are available to answer your questions. 

We ask that people put that information also in a posting signature so that it appears below each of your posts. When your med + withdrawal history is in your signature it means that we can get a quick overview.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Any drugs prior to 18 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 8 and Post 9

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016 20 mg - 7 mg, detailed taper in this post;

2017: 7.0 (65 beads) 2016-Dec-10;

Current dose: 6.3 mg (58 beads) 2017-Feb-01

+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V

scallywag's Introduction Post

Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet