If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Wikipedia - editing the pages of the psychiatric medication

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adrianctn

adrianctn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBucharest

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

Hello, 

I would like to gather the help of the community to modify the pages of all psychiatric medication on Wikipedia - to reflect what we know to be true: that these drugs are dangerous and have debilitating side effects. 

This is important because Wikipedia is used as a source of medical information by millions of people worldwide. 

I have started with the page on Prozac, with a minor edit. My edit is underlined. 

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Fluoxetine

"Fluoxetine, also known by trade names Prozac and Sarafem among others, is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class.[1] It is used for the treatment of major depressive disorderobsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD), bulimia nervosapanic disorder, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. It may decrease the risk of suicide in those over the age of 65, but significantly increases the risk of suicide overall, by causing severely altered mental states[5]. Fluoxetine has also been used to treat premature ejaculation, but it causes permanent impotence and sexual dysfunction in some individuals[6]. It is taken by mouth.[1]"

December 2015 One month Prozac at 10mg/day and every other day for MILD Anxiety ( What the hell??? No prior illness of any sort.)

Horrible side effects. Finally Cold Turkey.
May 2016 - Lamotrigine 0.5mg. Going up slowly. Sleep back to 8-9 hours normal (complete insomnia after Prozac).
June 2016 - 2 weeks 2.5mg Diazepam for Akathisia. Then lowered to 0.6mg/day.

Also Propranolol, Clonidine, occasional antihistamine, magnesium, B6 - for akathisia.

Experiencing severe protracted withdrawal. Symptoms got worse and changed each month. 

Last symptom remaining - Severe Akathisia since May with (mostly) waves and (some) windows. (When worse: pacing, can't concentrate or even speak, difficulty eating, driving, getting out of the house, horrible pain, restlessness, headache, exhaustion)

#2 keepinghope

keepinghope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

Looks like it's already been changed again.

I had to laugh at the following section:
"The side effects of the fluoxetine discontinuation are uncommon and mild..."
Hmm, ok then!

Drug companies have their people rewrite this stuff faster than we can :(

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off over 6 weeks under advice of GP - he told me the liquid was hard to get hold of so I used my 20mg tablets and went from 1 every other day to 1 every 3 days etc. Now know how bad that advice was (understatement of the year!) Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Jul 16 - Bad wave, but started to resolve about mid-August.  

Nov 16 - Been off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica which mean I can't sit or drive. Stupidly took Doctors advice to take diazepam as a muscle relaxant as wasn't sleeping because of the pain. Only took for 1 week and getting withdrawal symptoms now of nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety etc. Now just on codeine and not looking forward to withdrawals of coming off that...

Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, inability to cope with stress or anything I know I have to do.

Things that help: I saw a Medical Herbalist and was prescribed tinctures of Rose, Lemon Balm and Chamomile to help me with anxiety coming off the ADs. I still try to take them every day (if my memory complies!) as I think they help quite a bit. Trying to eat more fish, taking seaweed baths which help with muscle tension and restlessness.

#3 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,611 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

This is a good idea. Be sure to back up any changes with links to appropriate papers from verified medical journals.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#4 InvisibleUnless

InvisibleUnless

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

while this has been a long time coming, i also advise people to integrate new content into the present format in order to reduce the chances of people trying to reverse the changes.  for example, the changes mentioned in the first post here did not follow the "positives, then negatives" formatting of the paragraph they were introduced into.  even people who agree about the known risks may revert an edit if they think it was a poor fit stylistically.

i consider this a fairly important campaign for informed consent.  perhaps members of SA with enough time or cognitive functioning on their hands to work on these sorts of issues can collaborate to most effectively amend such articles to be more accurate and more scientific.  if such a collaboration takes place, i would be interested in contributing to the degrees i am capable.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  for all 5 years since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

#5 PatriciaVP

PatriciaVP

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

I would love to help with something like this, but I would want to do it in collaboration with others to ensure my edits were grammatically correct, fit stylistically, backed by research and didn't disappear into oblivion the minute I hit "save".

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

"Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming! What do we do? We swim!" -Dory