If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Protracted withdrawal theory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Terry4949

Terry4949

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

I know on this forum somewhere that they will be a article on this subject , but my question is so that I can find the meaning and understanding to this , where did protracted withdrawel come from and what proof is there that it actually exists, now I don't want people thinking that I don't believe in it as I do , I have been suffering badly for 3 years no windows and I feel I am getting worse , but we now are being told that there is no chemical imbalance as there is no way to check for a chemical imbalance , so if you can't check for a chemical in the brain how do you no if it is or isn't , I have read on here what happens to people in protracted withdrawel but who actually came up with syndrome and what actual evidence do they have that this is happening , if we can't map the cns and can't detect a chemical imbalance , how do we no it is receptors struggling to get back to normal , I have read many books and articles on depression , anxiety etc like most people on here , every author is a expert as we know but one expert will slate another and say that his or hers theory is wrong , I also no that my withdrawel is nothing like normal depression as I have become very sick from it, from being a hard working fit man to someone I don't even reconize, I am fully aware of what these evil drugs have done to me a my life and I put the blame solely on the medication , but getting back to the point who figured this out , what proof does he or she have , as I say nobody actually knows what causes depression , I know people can get it from bereavement , under active thyroid etc , there are many reasons but has protracted withdrawel really been proved , if so why is it not reconize by doctors , phyciatrist etc , why isn't it standard protocol to go to if a person is possibly in protracted withdrawel or do doctors think it's a myth if so why . I am not looking to pic a fight or start a argument on here and I have not got a bad thing to say about this site and I am full of admiration for everyone involved and regards to the exceptional work and knowledge that they provide , but I just wondered on this theory , I'm sure that someone will be able to answer my question , thanks for listening
100mg Effexor 2000 untill jan 2015 severe withdrawals . Tapered 4weeks.
Jan to end of Feb 4 weeks on 15mg mirtazapine 20mg quetiapine , tapered of both 2 weeks , severe withdrawals , still some from Effexor possibly
End of Feb 2015 to end of July 30mg citolapram tapered 2weeks severe withdrawal , anxiety high , bouts of sever depression , severe emotional moods
Currently on 30mg mirtazapine appx 5 months , high anxiety, March cut dose 22.5 mg going on to liquid still no improvements with the depression , also started sept 2015 200mg pregabalin , currently on 22.5mg mirtazapine tablet form doing really badly. Cut beginning of May remeron 20mg still bad anxiety,August 15mg remeron ,100mg pregablin , severe depression headaches anxiety , oct 2016 doctor stoped pregablin c/t , 15mg mirtazapine still no let up in physical symptoms ,high anxiety ,Nov 2016 remeron 13.5 mg , Jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped flouxetine20mg added by hospital admission, no choice , doing really badly , akathesia suicidel ,, Flouxetine c/t by hospital after 7 weeks 20mg daily , currently on nothing , God help me

#2 KarenB

KarenB

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

has protracted withdrawel really been proved , if so why is it not reconize by doctors , phyciatrist etc ,

It is starting to be recognised.  The British Medical Association is making some progress: http://survivinganti...d-withdrawal/  I think there has been further work done since that paper, but I can't find it today.  I know I read it on SA sometime before Christmas.

Change will happen, but it sure is slow!

2010 May Fluoxetine 20mg. Raging mostly stops, become more functional.
2011 February Escitalopram 10mg (sudden switch). 2012 January Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Early June Feeling great, decide to taper. Doc advises alternate days 20mg/10mg for 4 weeks.  Late June Steady. Drop to 10mg daily. Early July Not coping, raging, flu symptoms, shaky, anxious, low, spaced-out, self-destructive.  Mid July Return to alternate days 20mg/10mg - minimal improvement. Early August Return to full dose 20mg. Lost.
2014 February Switch to Venlafaxine. (First reduced Esc. to 10mg/day for a week) Feb-April Lost, 'light' self-harm, exhausted.
April Increase Ven. to 150mg/day. Dizzy. July 75mg twice a day to improve dizziness. Deep depression remains.  2015 Feb Vigilant dose spacing partially eases dizziness. Mar Switch to Effexor 75mg 2x/day. May Cut 10% to 135mg - bad w/d 2 mths, held 1 mth.  Aug 1.3% cut - bad 1mth, held 1mth. Oct 4 wkly 0.4% cuts held 6 weeks. Jan 2016 2 wkly 0.4% cuts. 8 month hold. Sept Wkly cuts: 0.5%, 3 1% cuts.  Oct 4 wkly 1% cuts, hold 3-4 weeks.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamins E & C, magnesium, iron, MSM, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.  My story of healing: ContinuedHealing

***I am not a doctor or counselor; please do your own research and be prepared to take responsibility for decisions you make.*** 

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.