SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hunk89: Hey all, i started tapering 3 weeks ago

Hunk89

Hello all,

i am new and on quite the cocktail and i realize that withdrawing will take a significant amount of time. 3 weeks ago my doctor went from 25mg Zyprexa to 20mg voluntarily. Yesterday i went from 75mg Trazodone to 62.5mg.

drug, morning dose, noon dose, evening dose, nighttime dose:

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel 0-0-0-650
Zyprexa 2.5-0-2.5-15
Trazodone 62,5-0-0-0
Venlafaxine 0-0-0-37,5
Metformin 500-0-500-1000

I have OCDish side effects from those and that sucks. 

Regards

Julian

Edited by scallywag
added explanation of doses

2010: Nardil for depression and social anxiety. Psychotic reaction

2010-2013 reinstated Nardil several times, went psychotic at the end each time.

2013-today Seroquel(Quetiapin) average 700mg, Zyprexa(Olanzapin) average 17,5mg and low dose (75mg) Venlafaxine

2016-Trazodone 75mg since early June 2016

Currently: 

drug, morning dose - noon dose - evening dose - nighttime dose: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5
Metformin    500-0-500-1000

Hi Julian. It's good that you know tapering off these drugs will take some time however you seem to be tapering too fast.

Would you mind filling in your drug history with dates, doses, drugs & reinstatements. Once we get a full picture of your history we can offer suggestions on how to proceed from here.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

What symptoms are you currently experiencing , if any ?

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Welcome Julian.

I find your numbers confusing.

Please dont skip or alternate doses. A drug sig as requested sure will make things clearer for all.

Glad you found sa

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

thanks guys for welcoming me. I will post the info later when i am back on my laptop.

the numbers can be interpreted like this:

morning-noon-evening-nighttime

2013-today Seroquel(Quetiapin) average 700mg, Zyprexa(Olanzapin) average 17,5mg and low dose (75mg) Venlafaxine

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

I have been taking Zyprexa since 2012 on and off a little bit but i have been on for about 3 ½ years.

Seroquel the same basically.

Venlafaxin at 37.5 also for 3 ½ years.

Trazodone for about 7 months at 75mg.

I have been on 25mg Zyprexa only for 2-3 weeks! Before that 20mg. So maybe it is ok now at 20mg.

Can Trazodone be made into a liquid? How long is the shelf life of that liquid?

How do i make a signature? There is no withdrawal history because i have just started!

THX

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

• Moderator Emeritus

Information about signatures:

Please summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly.

• Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Any drugs prior to 18 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 8 and Post 9

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

You can do the signature by clicking on your name at the top right of the screen then click on settings and its on the left hand side

Wow what is the  reason for 950mg? of seroquel daily for,. thats a huge dose

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Ok so now i have the signature. Its the best i can do because my history is very complicated. I dont have any symptoms right now. 

So generally speaking, i go 10% less every couple weeks? How do i make liquid trazodone or liquid venlafaxine and for how long is it good in the fridge? 

THX

The Seroquel is so high because for some time i took Astaxanthin which is a cyp3a4 inducer. This means that Seroquel is metabolized more quickly.

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for completing your signature.  When you change dose, please update it with the new dose and the date the change took place.

We suggest that you taper ONLY ONE drug at a time.  You've started with trazodone -- an excellent choice because of the number of other drugs it interacts with. To learn more about selecting which drug to start with, please read the posts at this link:
Taking multiple drugs? Which to taper first.

When a someone is taking multiple medications, we ask that that you post an interactions report. You may find it eye-opening/thought-provoking. Follow the link below to get your report. Just select the text, copy it and paste it in a post here.
Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

We suggest that people taper no more than 10% per month. You can read more about that in these topics:
Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Liquid titration (do-it-yourself or commercial preparations) make it easier to obtain non-standard tapered doses. Some medications are not very soluble in water: Zyprexa is only slightly soluble and Seroquel is moderately soluble. Some people, therefore, use a compounding liquid such as Ora-Plus. I don't know about the availability of that in Europe, or more specifically in Germany.
Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules
Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques] to withdraw accurate and precise doses from liquid medication

Links to topics on the medications you are currently taking:
Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)
Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)
Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)
Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Lots of links there for you to check.  Please post any questions you have here in your introduction thread so that all your information is in one place.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I have ordered the Ora-Plus via amazon.com I have also ordered a scale which can measure mgs and empty capsules. I will see what works best.

I have gone up from 62,5mg to 68,75mg of Trazodone. I cut the pills with a knive. Its not terribly accurate but i think its better than 62,5mg of Trazodone. Also i have corrected the Zyprexa to 22.5mg instead of 20mg, so i am on par with the 10% recommendation now.

This is an awesome website. Thank you.

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

My worst symptoms are "harm OCD". Which of the drugs i currently take is most likely responsible for that? I think that is the first i want to taper.

THX

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

It may be helpful to  check out the second link SW gave you in post number 9 enter ALL your drugs in the checker and copy and paste the results in your intro thread.

I would think all psychotropic drugs may have a 'drug induced harm' aspect thats why many have black box warnings. So when taking a bunch of them at the same time it may be difficult to point the finger at any one in particular.

Is the metformin for diabetes? If so did the diabetes start recently ...like in the last 3 years say.

Did the doctor inform you that antipsychotics have diabetes as a side effect?

Recovering paxil addict

Yeah, Trazodone and Venlafaxine combined can cause serotonin syndrome, but not at the dosages i take. I take the Trazodone in the morning, Effexor at night. Other than that nothing major. I have known and used the interactions checker before i came to this site.

I think i want to taper Zyprexa first because of this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25256097

Metformin is taken against metabolic syndrome that Seroquel and Zyprexa are causing. It works like a charm. I dont have diabetes. No my doctors did not inform me. I found out myself.

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

What do you think? I am having thoughts of harm to others which looks like OCD.

I have had this since i raised the dosage of Zyprexa.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25256097/

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major trazodone  venlafaxine

Applies to: trazodone, venlafaxine

Using traZODone together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate trazodone  olanzapine

Applies to: trazodone, Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Using traZODone together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate trazodone  quetiapine

Applies to: trazodone, Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using traZODone together with QUEtiapine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate venlafaxine  olanzapine

Applies to: venlafaxine, Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Using venlafaxine together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate venlafaxine  quetiapine

Applies to: venlafaxine, Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using QUEtiapine together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate metformin  olanzapine

Applies to: metformin, Zyprexa (olanzapine)

OLANZapine may interfere with blood glucose control and reduce the effectiveness of metFORMIN and other diabetic medications. Monitor your blood sugar levels closely. You may need a dose adjustment of your diabetic medications during and after treatment with OLANZapine. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate metformin  quetiapine

Applies to: metformin, Seroquel (quetiapine)

QUEtiapine may interfere with blood glucose control and reduce the effectiveness of metFORMIN and other diabetic medications. Monitor your blood sugar levels closely. You may need a dose adjustment of your diabetic medications during and after treatment with QUEtiapine. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate olanzapine  quetiapine

Applies to: Zyprexa (olanzapine), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using OLANZapine together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as drowsiness, blurred vision, dry mouth, heat intolerance, flushing, decreased sweating, difficulty urinating, abdominal cramping, constipation, irregular heartbeat, confusion, and memory problems. Side effects may be more likely to occur in the elderly or those with a debilitating condition. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

I wanna go 8% per reduction every 6 weeks with the zyprexa.

Is that fine?

THX

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like a slow, steady plan.  If it's too fast for your CNS (central nervous system), it (your CNS) will let you know by throwing off symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

What do you think? I am having thoughts of harm to others which looks like OCD.

I have had this since i raised the dosage of Zyprexa.*

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25256097/

(* Bolding of sentence is mine.)

I have moved the quoted post to your Intro/Update topic because it is about your own situation. 

There is a topic here: ocd-obsessive-thoughts-compulsive-behaviors

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

Can Zyprexa withdrawal lead to low blood pressure?

Currently: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5