Cymbalta 30mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Lunesta 3mg, Belsomra 20mg 

29 Dec 16

Lunesta taper started, 3mg>2.25mg

5 Jan 16

2.25mg>1.75mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Larch:

Considering importing the Gemini-20

It's only "average," too.  For the price, it's good value, but it's not perfect, either.

It's better than "eyeballing" doses, or estimating.  But still is not as good as a $$$$ lab scale.  More of a $$ street scale!  If your version is that, then you are probably fine.

Gemini is recommended here because it's affordable and readily available.  That doesn't mean it's the "best in the world" or anything.

That's why liquid tapers are more accurate.  Drop the whole pill in XXX ml of water to determine your mg / ml ratio.  Extract & discard what you don't need.  Voila.  Same answer every day = stable dose.

Good luck with your Lunesta taper, I guess you'll be spending some time on the benzo side for awhile.  Fingers crossed that you have a smooth transition to Lunesta-free!

I hope you see the sun today (and it helps with your sleep).

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hey JanCarol,

Thanks for your advice about the Gemini and liquid tapers.

Unfortunately I jumped the gun and already ordered one but I guess I can compare them and use the one that seems to be more trustworthy.

My pharmacy was willing to compound 2.25 1mg pills into powder for me, but my scale shows quite a bit a variance between the doses. I'm really not sure I can trust them... but then again, maybe I shouldn't be trusting my scale...

I'm seriously considering liquid tapering, but the Lunesta I'm tapering is only "very slightly soluble" in water. It says to not worry about that too much in the liquid tapering thread, http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/ so I guess I'll give it a try once I'm down to that level and see what happens. I am however concerned that my pharmacy will try to stop me as I'm pretty sure they don't have experience with patients doing it...

Thank you for your support! I will be on the benzo side for a while, but will probably have more general questions and such here too. I'd be delighted if you could check in on my benzo thread now and again :)

And Happy New Year!

since late November 2016:

Cymbalta 30mg, Klonopin 1mg, Lunesta 3mg, Belsomra 20mg 

6 Dec 16

Klonopin upped to 2mg

13 Dec 16

Cymbalta upped to 60mg

22-24 Dec 16

C/T craziness

Since 25 Dec 16

29 Dec 16

5 Jan 16

2.25mg>1.75mg

• Administrator

Why ask your pharmacy about making your own liquid?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Sorry Altostrata, I meant my doctor. As she'll be checking over my doses and symptoms as I taper, I do feel I need to give her accurate information on what dosage I'm on... and that would mean telling her about my liquid taper.

Do you know of any papers or such in favor of liquid tapering that would help me convince my doctor?

6 Dec 16

Klonopin upped to 2mg

13 Dec 16

Cymbalta upped to 60mg

22-24 Dec 16

C/T craziness

Since 25 Dec 16

29 Dec 16

5 Jan 16

2.25mg>1.75mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Larch,

You might find it helpful to read these before seeing any medical professionals.  I particularly like the statement by one member about being on the lowest possible dose.

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

These might be useful:

Excerpt from:  Your Drug May Be Your Problem - Chapter 8:  How to Stop Taking Psychiatric Drugs

Harm Reduction Guide to Coming of Psychiatric Drugs (The Icarus Project)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Chessiecat,

Thank you for those threads! Reading them was eye-opening. I guess I was overoptimistic about what I could expect from my doctor.

Asking to be put on the lowest possible dose does sound like an effective way of talking to them!

And thanks for those links too. Hopefully my doc will be willing to listen, or at least accept these methods.

6 Dec 16

Klonopin upped to 2mg

13 Dec 16

Cymbalta upped to 60mg

22-24 Dec 16

C/T craziness

Since 25 Dec 16

29 Dec 16

5 Jan 16

2.25mg>1.75mg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Larch!

I realize that you are mostly over on the benzo side there (and I plan to visit you there, too).

This stood out for me:

My pharmacy was willing to compound 2.25 1mg pills into powder for me, but my scale shows quite a bit a variance between the doses. I'm really not sure I can trust them... but then again, maybe I shouldn't be trusting my scale...

What's more important with the scale is not that .067 is actually equal to .067 (accuracy), but that when you take what the scale says is .067 every day, you are getting the same dose (consistency). 

And you know - sun - today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!