Applying for Disability Payments

ajay

I realize there are many different possible ways to file a disability claim, and it varies depending on your situation, country, etc.

I'm starting this topic in hopes that people will share information here.

History is approximate; I didn't track my dosages.

1995 - started zoloft/sertraline for depression

1995-2008 - sertraline ranged from 100-200mg, may have gone as high as 250mg

2006 - 2009 - added welbutrin/budeprion SR, 150 mg

sometime in 2009-2010 - stopped budeprion c/t

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

~ feb 2010, stopped sertraline.

~ Apr 2010, resumed 25mg low dose (really bad business trip)

Oct 2010, stopped sertraline

Jan 2011 - another bad business trip "breaks" my sleep.

current issues include insomnia, anxiety, GI distress, depression.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

Going to therapy and acupuncture once a week.

My concerns and questions: My employer has suggested I file a claim for Short Term Disability through our insurance company. I am told that depression is a valid claim, though I am worried that my doctor won't be willing to file the paperwork unless I try more drugs (she's been prescribing antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds, I just haven't been taking them and I wouldn't feel comfortable lying and telling her I had). But if the claim is processed and all goes well (knock wood)... will this affect my ability to get hired in the future by some other company?

I have many thoughts. I feel discouraged that I can't do my work. I feel hopeful that taking a break would help. I also suspect my job is part of the problem, and I can't imagine it would go over well to look for another job while on disability. Plus this is the scariest time ever to be looking for a job...

Any thoughts from the SA crowd?

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

• Administrator

The insurance company and your employer are supposed to keep your information confidential.

You may have to explain a gap in your resume, that's it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Just quick comment... I agree w Alto that insurer and doc should keep confidentiality, however, I have various sources suggesting otherwise. There was a session at ISEPP that discussed this. I did not go, but will do best to get info.

I do not mean to alarm, but I've dealt w this issue for several years and and would like to help others avoid it.

Does your insurer use a 3rd party administrator for Mental Health? EX: My United Healthcare uses Magellan. The confidentiality contract may not extend from you/employer to 3rd party. It IS a breach of HIPAA and law, but difficult to prove.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

As I understand it, my employer pays for STD insurance. So I'd be filing a claim through their disability insurance company, though still (technically) employed.

I think in some ways this is an attempt to get around having to fire me [either because they want me to get better or because they don't want their unemployment insurance to go up by having a claim on their record]. There's no guarantee that my claim would be approved or paid in any reasonable amount of time. I honestly don't know what's best for me in terms of the future - trying to find a new job while unemployed or on disability, neither of which is ideal.

I hate this. I hate so much about my current situation...

• Administrator

Just do what you have to do to get better, ajay.

Bar, most large employers use those administrators. I don't think there's any way around it.

But -- no one is going to contact those administrators for a reference connected with a job application.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ajay, I haven't read your history, so please take whatever you can from this and disregard rest.

I'm trying to think of ways around a psych STD. I truly dont want to stress you more than you already are. However, if I can help you avoid making the mistakes i did, I want to do so. My employer treated me very well for many years until 1 female manager ( w a grudge) didn't.

Q:

1) Have all medical probs been ruled out? Thyroid, etc.? Non work related injury/pain?

NOTE: I'm not encouraging anything fraudulent!

2) Also avoid any mention that your job is causing or contributing to your condition. If you have, ask that it not be written in your medical record or doc's notes. That is getting into the 'work-related'/work comp dark area.

Is there any possibility that you could take a Family Medical Leave of Absence (FMLA) for a short time? They are usually unpaid.

3) is a work accomodation possible? Lightened schedule, etc.?

I will look into some things and check back in awhile. Ill PM you w my contact info. Husband and othersI know this area well.

*David Oaks of MindFreedom is big into disability law and may have advice. I met him that weekend at conference in LA.

*document everything!

Ajay, I cannot tell you how deeply I understand your position and want to help w the right advice and info. I know how incredibly stressful it is to try to work when feeling like death. And then worrying b/c you feel you aren't performing up to par, although you are probably doing far better than your current judgment is telling you!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Agree on the worker's comp. Don't get into that morass.

Great suggestion to contact David Oaks.

Dear Barbara and Alto,

Thanks so much for your help. I have asked at the 11th hour - I had a meeting with my boss today and it looks like STD is the plan.

I have a Doctor's appointment tomorrow that was originally a follow-up but I guess will be about paperwork instead.

We have under 15 employees, so I don't have any options under FMLA. This also makes me feel a little concerned about how to handle applying for a new job. Technically there's confidentiality, but everyone knows what's going on.

We've tried some work accommodation, but it hasn't really helped. To be honest, my work environment is part of the problem, though I will not mention this to my doctor. At this point, there's no guarantee the claim will go through, so we'll see...

Ajay,

Your situation is very different than mine at a huge corporation and I apologize for drawing any negative parallels. I'm sure that you and your work are valued highly by your company. I did a good job, but in such a large corp, anyone is just a number and easily replaced.

Alto was absolutely right in saying "Take care of You!"

I hope you'll keep us updated on this topic. Always good to know how to handle diff situations.

Take care and R-E-L-A-X !!! (Hey, isn't that a song?!)

Barb

• 3 weeks later...

a belated reply -

Barbara, thanks for your input. And please feel free to elaborate on your cautions. They may not apply to me, but they might help someone else who is taking this route, and I am hoping this thread could be useful for others, too.

In my situation, there was paperwork for me, my doctor, and my employer. It all got filed and they are currently considering my claim, which takes about 5 days. The insurance company called me to ask a few questions, and one was "are you able to get chores/errands done during the day?" I almost cried. I feel glad if I can get a load of laundry done.

I filed for disability a year ago. I've been denied twice. Right now I'm on an appeal. I haven't mentioned my withdrawal. I put an emphasis on my Schizophrenia diagnosis. If you have anything you can "play up", that helps. Right now I'm on disability with CalWorks. My doctor signed a disability for it and so I have this for a while, but only until next summer. Right now I'm living in a trailer on my moms property. So thankfully I don't have to worry too much, but I do have my future to worry about. My mom is starting to want to go to a retirement home.

If I get denied again, I'll get a lawyer.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Ajay,

Good to hear from you! I've been thinking about you. Are you on a short term disability or medical

leave of absence now? There are so many different disability insurance programs and they all seem to work differently.

I'm confused about the diff between SSDI and SSI that, I read, is 'awarded' to some kids w/disabilities (and possibly others).

• Administrator

SSI is based on income, it's for people with very little money.

SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance, for which you've been paying with every paycheck. It is calculated based on what you would have gotten if you were retired at 65.

As for the phone interviews from insurance companies, crying is a valid expression of what's going on with you.

• 3 years later...

What has other peoples experiences with this aspect of life during withdrawal been? I have been on disability on and off for 5 years (on it just now). I'm under no pressure to work just now but I wonder when I'm reviewed again (don't know when), if I will have problems as I will be seen as 'non-complaint'. The doctor last year said that he would not sign for disability for me unless I took the medication. I wonder if I should try and contact David Healy just to get a confirmation of what I'm going through to have this bit covered.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

I do not have disability but I have a disability application in process, I asked my lawyer this very question. Like lawyers do, he sort of talked around it a bit, but I think he said the following:"the fact that people have trouble with their psych meds is actually well known (at least in legal circles? if not medical?) people change up their psych meds quite a bit: again: he did not say this explicitly, but the message I walked away with was: do not say you are trying to get off your psych meds. say that you are working with your doctor to try to get the right dose of the right psych meds. and it's true. we are trying to work with our doctors to get the right dose (zero) of the right psych med (none). describe all the bad effects,all the wd effects as well as the side effects, focus on the symptoms without engaging in any discussion of whether or not these symptoms are caused by psych meds or not. after all, modern psychiatry hasn't got the vaguest bleeping idea what causes mental illness anyway. you can always say "well, right now my doctor thinks I might be bipolar" or whatever the heck your so-called doctor is saying this week. Focus on your mental disability. You are either ready to return to work or you are not. Focus on the facts.

by the way: the word is noncompliant. not noncomplaint. just reverse the a and the i and the word has a whole different meaning.

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

oh, and he also said to eliminate any discussion of illegal drugs & alcohol from your conversation.

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

Noncomplaint! Lol

Ok thank you. Yes, I have visions of myself sitting in front of the panel telling them all about withdrawal and getting very angry and upset and telling them they don't have a flipping clue! Maybe that is not the best way to go. Thank you for the advice.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Well, looking mentally unstable could have its advantages :)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Haha

I'm on disability, but I'm a bit concerned about reviews. :(

Also, I have no stress tolerance. Even having to pay bills puts me into a near full blown panic attack. I don't know what to do.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Joanna, as you know the benefit rules have been tightened in the UK and there was talk in the past about 

cutting benefits for people who don't take their meds, ironic really because if they banned psych drugs there would be 

thousands and thousands of people who would not have become disabled!  Some people collect their scripts but don't

take them to swindle the system. yet there are many people suffering badly who are open and honest about not taking

them and being in withdrawal but not believed :angry: . You still need the script for the small dose you take, maybe that

would keep the doctor happy.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Totally stupid and ridiculous! If your not well, your not well. After being in the medication loop for 11 yrs, it obvious that it's not working..if it's not obvious to them, then I despair..some screws loose there, I think. Time to visit the cursing thread. Unless your a danger to the public, then I don't see why someone should be almost forced to take a mind altering substance just to function..it surely has done the opposite to me. Going to visit cursing thread again. And if they are a danger to themselves, I almost feel that they should have that choice, not forced into a world of iatrogenic suffering. Will continue to practice good self care, but that will not be fast enough for them - will it. Well, I don't know what will happen as I'm likely to still be suffering and unwell for quite a bit yet (realistically). Homeless on the street but not forced into more medical suffering.

Where is that cursing thread?!

• 1 month later...

What do you say when you apply for disability? That you have been temporarily damaged by antidepressants drugs and can't work? I don't know what to say.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

I dunno moonlite. I'm already on some disability support for 'anxiety and depression' but have applied for more. When the time comes for interview I'm unsure but my previous doctor is on my form and she knows I'm in withdrawal but I'm worried if I say something that I should not say and I'm seen as non compliant.

See what ruby Tuesday said

Oh thank you didn't see that for some reason when I read the thread. Weird. Well where do you apply for disability?

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

I'm in the uk so it will be different for you.

Oh thank you didn't see that for some reason when I read the thread. Weird. Well where do you apply for disability?

What happened with me is I got it for PTSD, which I do have. They haven't acknowledged my WD. But, my counselor was the one who really provided the documentation for the disability. It is likely they will give you some psych label for the disability. But, at least in the US, you have to have that. You have to have a diagnosis to qualify and psych WD is not an option.

I do hope you get it all worked out. :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Ok, Moonlite, so I just checked your profile, and I see you are in the states.

I can try to help you. You apply for disability online. You fill out the form, and they then request info from the doctors. Then they will make you see one of their interviewers. Sometimes they don't make you do this, but I had to. Then they decide. Many people have to use an attorney. But, even if you do, they don't get paid until you get a settlement, and they take their fee from that.

Let me know how I can help you.

Thank you!! I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and ptsd.

• 1 month later...

Is it better to not mention protracted antidepressant withdrawal as a reason for filing for disability? I'm about to file my second appeal for SSDI and not sure if this is something I should mention.  I'm guessing only if the doctor corroborates? Or will they view this as a temporary thing that will pass? Or something that is made up, since it is not mentioned in the DSM V?

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

the government, to my knowledge, only pays out explicitly for conditions listed in their official 'coverage collection' of conditions.  its best to play by their rules with the terminology---for example, you cant get disability for fibromyalgia but you CAN get it for chronic fatigue syndrome.  they arent the same thing, to the experienced individual or to informed doctors, but you have to cash in on what conditions and portions of conditions the government is willing to recognize.  i dont think they take the DSM as gospel, so youre best off finding a list or searching to see what is and isnt covered through online descriptions of personal experiences with 'the system'---websites focusing on litigation and human rights are often better resources than more generalized pages.

i dont know what withdrawals they officially cover, but i would not bank on something so 'obscure' unless it is merely supplemental injury to your primary health status claims.  as for doctor corroboration, i highly suggest having a familiar, informed professional write you a personal recommendation that details their experience level with you and your conditions, the impact on your daily life activities by your conditions, and their personal thoughts on your capacity as a functional human being.  my disability claim was accepted without any need for appeals, and i think my pursuing such a recommendation was a big part of why.  (ultimately, i was rejected for disability paygrade but was given SSI because the government didnt like my work history even though i had years of employment under my belt.)

i would also prepare yourself for the post-acceptance examination.  they send you to their own docs to check up on your story and create baselines for your future coverage, and if you cant make a convincing (relativistically speaking here---its not about the facts of the matter to these doctors) case, i fear they grow suspicious.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• 3 months later...

Bump for important information in this thread for those of us trying to deal with withdrawal and working.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

Hello,

Does anyone have more to share on this topic? I am beginning to look into it since I am barely able to slide by at work now.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

• Administrator

merged similar topics