SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MaizeNblue81: Tapering Zoloft during severe acute Xanax WD

maizeNblue81

PLEASE NOTE:  Member also has a Benzo topic here.

This is a simplified list of this member's drug history:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/13732-maizenblue81-tapering-zoloft-during-severe-acute-xanax-wd/?do=findComment&comment=264799

I have now been off Xanax from a CT detox in the hospital for 2 1/2 months and having severe acute symptoms still from that that is a complete nightmare and has destroyed my life! Bad thing is I keep trying to tell the doctors I'm the hospital and my family that what I was going through was Xanax WD and they keep looking at me like I was crazy and blamed my symptoms on anxiety and OCD. So they put me on .5mg of resperdal and 75mg of Zoloft out of the hospital then at my one month checkup I got completely off the resperdal and they bumped me up to 100mg on the Zoloft which I have now been on 2 months. I don't think it's helping as nothing like I told them would help Xanax WD other than another benzo and now I'm stuck with the Zoloft! I want to get off but after 2 months I know I can't quit it Cold turkey so I looked it up online and it shows two ways to either cut down a dose or 25mg every 2-6 weeks or so and even slower taper of 12.5 % once a week too get off in 8 weeks and for me with how bad the Xanax symptoms still are I know slow is probably the best for me in this situation but I actually ran out of my 100mg tablets last night and I have enough of the 50mg tablets to start the taper tonight breaking two pills down to where it's only a 12.5% reduced dose. But I only have enough to do that for about 4 days then I'm out! The 100mg and 50mg tablets are different and I don't know how that's gonna screw me up cause when I get my refill it will be 100mg so I don't know? This is crazy my current symptoms are horrible intense head pressure burning and numbness in my head, confusion, dizziness, DP/DR and horrible evil intrusive thoughts are all the worst! Most of which I think is still acute Xanax WD but I want to get off the Zoloft as safely as possible! Help and advice please

Edited by ChessieCat
Added link to drug history post/prev:tags / prev:Added link to benzo topic

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maizeNblue81

• ChessieCat

• JanCarol

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, MaizenBlue81.

I just posted on your benzo thread here, but wanted to also post on your main thread because it's important that you not start reducing your other drugs right away.

Please give your nervous system time to settle from the Xanax cold turkey and coming off Risperdal.

Here is some information on withdrawing from Zoloft:

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please fill out a signature:

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is your thread to give updates and ask questions. Please let us know how you're doing. 

I'm sorry I'm new to this site as I have been on BenzoBuddies now since I started the the nightmare that is Xanax and a very nice person there recommended me here for help with the Zoloft.

I don't really now how or where to go to fill out my signature but my history is I started with Zoloft back in 2012 when I began having severe panic attacks out of the blue and the first I had came out of nowhere and felt like I was having a heat attack and I remember it even to this day! I was put on a low dose of Xanax for the first few weeks till the Zoloft kicked in and then I didn't need it anymore so I got off.

Zoloft worked for about 1 1/2 years then the panic attacks came back so I was switched over to Prozac in the fall of 2013 and given a low dose of Ativan during the first month of the switch and after about a month on the Prozac I was a lot better and didn't need the Ativan so I got off. Then in the fall of last year after 2 years on Prozac I thought I didn't need it anymore so I got off and was fine till may of this year and after about 5-6 months off Prozac and a divorce and trying to quit smoking I got really overwhelmed and my symptoms came back hard so I tried to reinstate the Prozac and after 9 days it was given me suicidal/homicidal thoughts and I told my doctor and then she tried to switch me over to lexapro and boy was that a bad bad mistake!

I took it for 6 1/2 weeks half the time at 5mg and in the middle tried to go up to 10mg and just couldn't tolerate the drug and ended up in the ER more times than I can count! So I was taking off that and had horrible WD from that for about 6 weeks! Flu like symptoms, headaches, nausea, dizziness, DP/DR, horrible evil intrusive thoughts it's was a nightmare but last but not least nothing compared to Xanax! This whole time since may I was on Xanax from the ER after a panic attack between.75mg to 1.5 mg a day as I was told you didn't really run into problems with it till you got up to 4-6mg and not that was wrong too!

It wasn't till after the lexapro nightmare that I realized what Xanax was doing to me and by that time looking back the damage was already done as I had been on it for about 4 months already. I'm august I ride to start tapering to get off but it was too late cause by the time mid October came around the symptoms were so severe and I couldn't ever get past .75mg on my own I ended up in the hospital detox on October 20 and I was in there for two weeks!

Of course while I was there it was a complete nightmare! They pulled me off CT had me on a 3 day watch to make sure I wasn't gonna have seizures and then said it was over and began trying to shove more meds down my throat when I tried to tell them it was Xanax WD and these meds weren't gonna help and they thought I was crazy! So after a week in the hospital I finally agreed to take .5mg resperdal and started on 50mg Zoloft because they said it would help with anxiety and OCD which they said was causing all my psychosis type symptoms and intrusive thoughts but I was pretty sure it was the destruction of my brain from Xanax but I tried it or they wasn't gonna let me go home because my symptoms were so bad!

After 5 days they bumped me up to 75mg of Zoloft and that's were I stayed until I got out! When I went back to my one month follow up I got the new nurse practioner they sent me too who doesn't know jack to take me completely off the resperdal which I cut down to .25mg as soon as I got out of the hospital and he tried to bump me up to 100mg of Zoloft which is where I'm at now.

Sorry so long but here we are 2 1/2 months off Xanax and 2 months now on Zoloft and my symptoms are still horrible and I can't tell what the Zoloft is even doing because the Xanax acute WD is so bad! My most disturbing is the constant pressure, pain, burning, tingling and numbness in my brain it's like my head is in a vice, the severe confusion, DP/DR, to the point I don't know what day it is or what I'm doing half the time and I don't even notice my own self in the mirror!

And the horrible evil cloud of intrusive thoughts I feel like I'm loosing my mind or having a psycho breakdown and neither Zoloft or resperdal has helped this cause the majority of it is the nightmare that was Xanax and the devastation it has left in its wake! So here I am the Xanax WD is so scary and a nightmare I don't know what the Zoloft is doing so I'm scared to keep taking it but I don't don't know if I can handle WD from it so I'm lost and don't know what to do?

Edited by Shep
added paragraph spaces for readability

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Maizen.

At only 2.5 months following the cold turkey of a benzo, you are still going through benzo withdrawal, and you likely will have symptoms for quite awhile. I experienced all of the symptoms you list, even not being able to recognize myself in the mirror. I also had difficulty recognizing the faces of people I'd known for years. It was truly horrifying.

But even after coming off a cocktail of drugs cold turkey and rapid taper (including 2 benzos and a z-drug), I am recovering. None of this is permanent, so please try to reassure yourself that you will be okay. 

For many of us, going off and on these kinds of drugs causes a "kindling" reaction, making our central nervous system (CNS) more sensitive and likely to hyper-react to drugs, supplements, certain foods, and even stress. Here is more on kindling:

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

Although supplements can cause severe reactions in people going through withdrawal, many people do find relieve with fish oil and magnesium, as they can calm the CNS.  Always research supplements and only start on one at a time and at a low dose in case there are reactions. Here's more information:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

And here is some information on handling symptoms: 

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Here are the instructions for filling out your signature. Please kindly take the time to do this, as it makes it easier to answer your questions. 

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

For now, you are going to need to give yourself a long time to stabilize from the benzo cold turkey.  

Question - how long were you off antidepressants before you went back on Zoloft? 

3 months and this was the last post on BenzoBuddies I had! I have now been off Xanax from a CT Detox for 10 weeks and I just had something happen that scares me so badly I had to get up and post this!

My symptoms are completely miserable and very scary! The worst is this unrelenting pressure, pain, burning, tingling and numbness in my head especially in my forehead and it runs to to the middle to the right side down into my ears and my neck to the point I can't hardly function or get off the couch! That comes with severe confusion, DP/DR to the point I don't know where I am or what day it is, I can't hardly recognize myself in the mirror and everytime I stand up I get extremely dizzy and confused and have to remind myself of what I'm doing!

Then there's this horrible cloud of evil intrusive thoughts like I can't control my brain and it just goes to a dark place and craziness all the time but it just got so bad I was laying on the couch and grabbed my head and just say straight up and screamed my brain brain and I know I did it but it scares me and it was like I did it but it was like what the heck did that just happen then being confused about it! The pressure is so bad I can't hardly hold my head up! I'm struggling with what to do with this Zoloft as I can't tell what it's doing or if it's making it worse? But this is scary!

Edited by scallywag
paragraph breaks

• Moderator Emeritus

Question - how long were you off antidepressants before you went back on Zoloft? 

Hi, Maizen.

I'm sorry you're suffering so badly, but I need to clarify the answer to this question. 

Please answer - how long were you off antidepressants before you went back on Zoloft this last time? If you can, please list the month and year. 

From your last post, you mention 3 months, but I'm not sure that was the answer to this question, as you're talking about other issues, so please do clarify. 

Since you're active on Benzo Buddies, you've most likely been told that your symptoms are from the Xanax cold turkey, as that is a brutal way to get off. You also are most likely getting both withdrawal as well as side effects from going off and then going back on Zoloft. 

Try to stay as calm as possible. Find distractions (I'm sure you learned this over on Benzo Buddies). And give your mind / body time to rest. 

Ok to answer the question on Zoloft I came off lexapro in July and then on Zoloft in October in the hospital so around 3 months between lexapro and back on Zoloft.

I'm so sacred! The pressure, burning, and numbness in my head is unbearable. And the confusion severe DP/DR along with the horrible evil intrusive thoughts I feel like I'm fighting off death 24/7 and it is constant it never ends and no relief in sight!

I didn't want to get back on anything else but the Zoloft was pretty much forced on me in the hospital and my family. I feel so alone and without hope.

I've been off Xanax now for over 10 weeks and on Zoloft for I guess now about 9 weeks and I don't feel any better than when I went into the hospital if not worse! The Xanax Sxs are so severe I just can't tell what the Zoloft is doing if not making it worse and I've got so many different options on what to do with the Zoloft some say get off it and let your brain heal and others say don't do anything tell the Xanax symptoms calm down which from what o understand can be a really long time!

The thing is if the Zoloft is making it worse than I'm sacred to keep taking it but I don't know if I can handle the WD from it either as I feel like I'm dying now! I have no quality of of life at all I can hardly get up off the couch and I'm consumed with fear suffering and pain 24/7!

I go back to the doctor a new doctor on Tuesday and I don't even know if I have enough meds left as I've been using the 50mg tablet I had left to try and make it through taking two of them to equal the 100mg. I just don't know what to do or if my mind and body can handle much more and I know I can't take this another 3 months plus! Some on BenzoBuddies say at 5-6 months off they have the same symptoms i so and even get new symptoms this is crazy! I'm losing hope more and more by the day! I don't know what to do?

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks

• Moderator Emeritus

It may be helpful to find ways of distracting yourself from these counter-productive thoughts. Check these discussion topics for ideas:

Change the channel - dealing with cognitive symptoms

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Maize - 

I would love to comment and suggest some things, but I really need to know a time table. 

Please Put Your WIthdrawal History Into your Signature

and

Complete your Signature from Phone or Tablet

The information we are looking for is:

Drug Doses - dates, and dates of change.  You don't have to know the exact date, month and year is fine.

We are most interested in what has happened to you this past year 2016.  

As Shep has said, you have 2 things happening at once:  a cruel CT withdrawal from xanax, and major dose changes with Zoloft.  As well as a little stint on risperdal.  Each one of these changes is a bump.

I'm feeling like your Zoloft is too high, but how long have you been on 100 mg?

Here is a list of common withdrawal symptoms, you can check your symptoms against this list, and find relief that you are not alone.  Others have suffered this before you (and others will suffer it until these drugs are used more wisely!).  You can also print out several copies of the list and use it as a journal to log the changes in your symptoms, as they will change over time.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/page-2?p=208544#entry208544

Scally is right on the money, too.  It's hard, oh so very hard, I know - but you need to find a way to live through the symptoms.

The symptoms may be awful, and seem unendurable - but - they won't kill you as long as you stay calm.

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

These are only symptoms.  They are temporary.  They will pass.  It may seem like forever, but they will pass.  I wish I could tell you that they will pass tomorrow, or next week, but I am not in your body, and every body is different.

I do know it will get better, in Waves and Windows (so don't be alarmed if you have a good day, then a few bad ones - the good ones will gradually increase as you heal.  Symptoms are signs that your body is trying to heal.  It does get better.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Ok I got off 40mg of Prozac in the fall of last year I think towards the end of October. I was ok until march of this year when I started having panic attacks again and in may I went back in after a trip to the ER and a panic attack where they gave me Xanax 16 .5 mg the first week of May.

About two weeks after that I was put back on 20mg of Prozac and took it for 9 days and it started giving me su/hm ideation so I went back in and she took me off of it and after 5 days switched me to lexapro. Started that at 10mg and after 4 days I just couldn't tolerate the drug and ended up in the ER with extreme nausea, very light headed and dizzy felt like I was gonna pass out and fall over!

So my dose was reduced to 5mg to see if I could tolerate that and I took it for about 2 1/2 weeks at that dose. The whole time I was even at 5mg I had horrible thoughts that scared me and all of the physical symptoms I listed before

So this whole time throughout the Prozac and lexapro I was taking on average between .5 to 1mg of the Xanax still to help till what I thought was gonna be getting regulated on the AD and I was told it was ok with the Xanax cause you didn't run into trouble with it unless you got up to 4-6 mg daily and of course that was wrong and I had no idea!

After the 2 1/2 weeks at 5mg of lexapro I was bumped up to the 10mg cause I was told the 5mg was just not enough and I needed to try and go back up. I was on the 10mg for about 3 weeks and again ended up in the ER several times and couldn't tolerate the drug all the same physical symptoms were intensified and the mental ones got worse too!

So after that I was told to drop back down to 5mg for a week then get off and they basically looked at me like I was crazy and said all the symptoms I was having was not the meds but anxiety and to not worry I wouldn't have any WD.

And of course that was not correct either cause after coming off the lexapro completely in July I had horrible flu like symptoms, headaches, nausea, light headed and dizzy, DP, and severe intrusive thoughts after just 6 1/2 weeks on that crap! And they lasted about 5-6 weeks before the improved from that.

I still took the Xanax on average of .75 to 1.25mg daily during this whole process and by the time I got through the lexapro nightmare in mid august I had already been on Xanax now 4 months and began to realize something wasn't right still and started doing some research and asking around found BenzoBuddies and realized that the Xanax was not helping me anymore and I had built and tolerance and was having tolerance WD from it! The symptoms were severe at this point. Heightened anxiety, severe pressure in my head and burning, evil intrusive thoughts and mad me feel like I was having a psycho breakdown it all got really bad and I tried to begin tapering immediately! Of course I don't know anything about these drugs before all this and until the damage was already done!

I tried to taper in mid august till mid October but could never get past .75mg on my own and with all the number of symptoms I was having in tolerance WD from Xanax the worst and the most scary was the evil intrusive thoughts and that's what put me in the hospital after the pressure burning and pain in combination with the thoughts got so bad I was sacred for my life and those around me!

So my family forced me into Detox and I went in on October 20 2016 for two weeks and they took me off CT [off xanax] after around 6 months of use and the first three days had me on a seizure protocol and gave me nothing to help with the WD and that was the scariest three days of my life!

After that they tried to shove all kinds of drugs in me and finally after a week in the hospital I agreed to take Zoloft 50mg only because it was something I had taking before and I would only take the lowest dose of resperdal at .5mg.

When I was trying to tell them about the severe pressure, burning and numbness in my head and the evil intrusive thoughts they looked at me like I was crazy and said that I should have been fine after 3 days and most of my symptoms were caused by OCD and anxiety but they were the crazy ones!

After 3 or 4 days they bumped me up to 75mg of Zoloft and their goal was to get me up to 150mg before I left the hospital because he said as he was looking it up on his phone which I thought was funny that o needed to be on that dose atleast to control my OCD and the resperdal would help too.

I've learned these doctors don't know half of anything about these drugs they prescribe or what they really to to people while they are on them and what happens in WD when they come off! I myself have had to learn first hand and the hard and it doesn't help when the people who are prescribing the drugs don't know jack and their answer is let's just throw more drugs at it and screw your brain up more!

Anyway so I got out after two weeks and went into outpatient treatment the first of November. Did that for a week and the wanted me to go up to 100mg of Zoloft then and go up on the resperdal and I said no way!

After I got out of outpatient I did some research of my own and cut the resperdal down to the lowest prescription dose of .25mg because everything I read said the thoughts I was having were from severe acute benzo WD and the resperdal sounded like a nightmare to get off and I don't have bi polar or hallucinations so I got off that crap two weeks later when I when's into my one month checkup with a new doctor they recommend me too. So I was on resperdal for about 4 weeks. Two weeks at .5mg and two at .25mg then off!

At my one month check up I was upped dose onthe Zoloft to 100mg. So I have now been on Zoloft 9 weeks and up to 100mg for 5 weeks.

I go back to the doctor Tuesday and it is a new doctor so I don't know how that's gonna go but I get a lot of different options about what I should do with it and I really don't know?

I'm still in acute WD from Xanax and that is just a nightmare so I can't tell what the Zoloft is doing? I have severe intense head pressure, burning and numbness that runs from my forehead all the way back to my ears and neck, severe confusion and DP/DR to the point I feel like I'm not even living in reality anymore and the horrible evil cloud and intrusive thoughts make me feel like I'm having a psycho breakdown and I'm losing my mind!

I can't hardly get up off the couch much less do anything else and this can't be WD it's pure punishment and the most horrible things I've ever been through I honestly feel like I'm dying! Sorry so long but that's the jest of it.

Edited by scallywag
paragraph breaks for readability

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize, here's my attempt to summarize the key dates, medications and doses from your posts:

2012:  started Zoloft for panic attacks, took Xanax during Zoloft start-up for a few weeks and discontinued

Fall 2013: 

• Zoloft stopped working;
  • Switch to Prozac, prescribed and took Ativan during Prozac start-up for a few weeks and discontinued

Fall 2015: discontinued prozac

early 2016:

• symptoms arose during a time of stress (divorce, quitting smoking)
  • tried to reinstate Prozac, after 9 days experienced suicidal/homicidal ideation and discontinued
  • Doctor prescribed 5 mg Lexapro
  • Took 5 mg Lexapro for 6½  weeks
  • May 2016 was taking 10 mg, severe symptoms arose requiring emergency medical consult at local ER
  • ER doc prescribed Xanax

May - October 2016, post ER visit

• took Xanax 0.75 mg - 1.5 mg per day
  • August started tapering Xanax, couldn't get below 0.75 mg
  • October 20 -- severe  symptoms prompted family to urge/compel hospitalization

October - December 2016

• hospitalization for 2 weeks, Oct. 20 - Nov. 3 (?)
    • c/t off Xanax
    • prescribed 0.5 mg Risperdal and 50 mg Zoloft
    • increased Zoloft to 75 mg
  • post-discharge: self-managed reduction of Risperdal to 0.25 mg

• one-month follow-up appointment (late November/early December)
    • discontinuation of Risperdal
    • increase Zoloft to 100 mg

Is this correct? Please post to let me know it's fine "as is" or what needs to be corrected.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Yes that looks about right!

• Administrator

Welcome, maize.

Your symptoms have been the same throughout the time you've been taking Zoloft?

When you reduced Risperdal, did your symptom pattern change?

Do they follow any daily pattern? What times of day do you take Zoloft and Xanax and any other drugs?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This will help us figure out what's causing what.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It's been pretty bad throughout but it seem to get a little worse when I went up on the Zoloft and came off the resperdal or at least about a weeks after the change but the symptoms have all been there since Xanax and going to the hospital and have gotten worse and not better! The only thing I'm on now is Zoloft and I take it at night before bed.

• Administrator

What effect does the Zoloft have on you after you take it?

What times of day do you take Xanax and any other drugs?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Well I don't take any other drugs at all now than Zoloft. I was CT detoxed of .75mg of Xanax on October 20 and was in the hospital for two weeks. After a week in there is when I was put on the resperdal and I got off the resperdal after a month and have been on Zoloft now for 9 weeks and 5 weeks at 100mg. The bad thing is I'm still in acute benzo WD and it is so severe I can't tell what the Zoloft is even doing to my brain! The worst symptoms are horrible intense and constant pressure, numbness, burning tingling in my face, head and neck and I know that's from benzo WD and the confusion, DP/DR, and evil intrusive thoughts I can't tell if the Zoloft is making some of it worse but all of this was there before Zoloft as I was coming off Xanax so hard to tell what's causing what?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Maize.

I know it can be very difficult to tell what is causing what.

Please try listing your drug and your symptoms in this format:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Without some feedback from you about how you feel before and after you take the Zoloft, we can't give you any feedback or advice.

Please do the best you can. I know from experience how brutal a cold turkey off a benzo can be. But you will get through this. You will be okay. 

I just can't tell what the Zoloft is doing at all! The benzo WD is so horrible it trumps everything. The worst symptoms I have and the one I know is benzo WD is the constant burning, tingling, numbness and pressure in my head that never stops and never ends! The DP/DR confusion and intrusive thoughts are pretty severe too I mean one day just rolls into the next same symptoms never getting better just worse. Constant pressure in my head confusion dizzy and light headed DP/DR intrusive thoughts it's all the same so how would I know what the Zoloft is even doing? I just don't know what to do? I go back to the doctor tomorrow and I'm losing hope!

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize -- what you're saying, "can't tell what the Zoloft is doing at all!", makes great sense. You've been through several significant changes in neuroactive medications since September. Each one of these changes could be destabilizing on its own, the combination of changes would destabilize almost any person. It would be difficult for even the most experienced psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses who are both knowledgeable and sympathetic about withdrawal to untangle what is causing what.

Are you keeping track of your symptoms? Notes about symptoms and times of doses

• are very helpful in sorting out what is going on and
  • frequently provide clues for what next step is appropriate.

It's really worth investing your time and energy in keeping a log of symptoms.

Please check out the link Shep provided above that details a simple and useful format for a daily log.

scallywag's Introduction

Yeah I feel like my brain has been destroyed by these drugs and recovery is not even possible! I do feel like my brain was finally hit with the Prozac WD in the spring leading up to may when I tried to reinstate. Then the nightmare that was lexapro was a horrible experience and now recovering from benzo WD is the worst thing I have ever been through and has completely destroyed my life and left me with no hope! The resperdal probably didn't help and now I have Zoloft to worry about not knowing what it's even doing to me cause the benzo WD is so horrible! My symptoms are constant and relentless and the same everyday all day so I don't really know what else to say? I take the Zoloft at night before I go to bed and I just can't tell what it's doing? I go to bed and wake up with the same symptoms no matter what. Severe dibilatating head pressure and numbness, confusion DP/DR I don't even know what day it is I have to constantly remind myself of what I'm doing or what's going on I can't even hardly recognize myself in the mirror I can't stand up for to long cause I get really dizzy and feel like I'm gonna fall over and pass out and my mind is in constant chaos with all that and the intrusive thoughts can be pretty scary to especially if I'm not keeping my mind busy with something! So I just don't know what to do? I've been told to stay on Zoloft till the benzo WD calms but from what I understand that can be a really long time as I'm still in acute WD and then I've been told to slowly taper off the Zoloft and let my brain heal but I worry so very much about WD to that sending me to an even darker place so I'm so confused and losing hope everyday that I'll ever be the same or get my life back!

• Administrator

Okay, maize, so you don't feel any better or worse or different at all in the several hours after you take Zoloft?

I can't really tell? The symptoms are just so constant and intense I really just don't know? I wish I would have held my ground and stayed off all meds after Detox but they pretty much forced me to take something saying my symptoms were from underlying issues and not benzo WD and they were wrong! I really think the worst thing that could have been done was add more drugs to and already confused and damaged brain but doctors don't know about these drugs and the damage they can do especially benzos! I'm having to learn the hard way and on my own and the only information I get is from people who have suffered from these drugs before! I can say today for some reason the confusion, head pressure, dizziness, and anxiety all off the charts more than normal for some reason but the symptoms are so constant and severe all the time it's hard to know what's causing what? And I take the Zoloft at night so I don't really know a few hours after I take it?

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize -- are you keeping a daily log of symptoms and times of doses?

scallywag's Introduction

Yes I'm trying and as far as the time I'm only on Zoloft and I take it around 10pm every night.

I am so sacred and don't know what to do? I'm almost 11 weeks out now from my detox of .75mg Xanax and their has been no improvement at all and symptoms are actually getting worse! The main symptoms I've had is this severe and dibilatating pressure, burning, and numbness in my head that is always their no break and no relief! Extreme confusion, DP/FR, horrible evil intrusive thoughts that make me feel like I'm losing my mind! Today for some reason it has been even more intense the pressure and numbness in my head has gotten so bad I can't hardly breath and my head is pounding! Every time I stand up I fell extreme confusion and disoriented light headed and like I'm gonna pass out! I don't even feel like I'm living in reality anymore and I just went outside to the back porch and all I could do is grab my head just standing there shaking in pain with all the pressure in my head! I feel so confused all the time and am covered by all this pain and pressure in my head, the confusion and intrusive thoughts it's a nightmare and getting worse not better! I can't function at all and it has been so bad today I'm thinking I might need to go to the hospital it's so bad and scary! I can't get up off the couch but laying here in all this pain and confusion it horrible! I'm still on Zoloft as I have been since the hospital now over two months and I go back to the doctor tomorrow to talk about that but I can't tell what the Zoloft is even doing cause the benzo WD is still so severe! My hand eye cordination is getting bad too and my vision as well I can't even lay here and watch tv with all this going on as I don't feel like I'm even in reality anymore and the pressure and confusion is so bad to the point I have to get up and walk around for a few mins cause it's so scary!

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize -- are you keeping a daily log of symptoms and times of doses?

Yes I'm trying and as far as the time I'm only on Zoloft and I take it around 10pm every night.

Can you post notes from a few days here in your introduction thread?

scallywag's Introduction

I'll try I'm not sure I know how

I couldn't figure out how to do that and I just don't know what to do or where I'm at with all this? The symptoms are constant and severe and I'm losing hope! The suffering never ends and the only reality I know is pain and misery! It's like being stuck in your own little world of torture and torment! I go to the doctor tomorrow and I don't know what to do or tell him? It's a new doctor so that's stressful enough as it is and I gringe everytime I swallow that Zoloft and I hate all psych drugs now I think they are just poison!

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize,

Two items:

1.  How much are you sleeping? You are taking the Zoloft at night, so I'm wondering if that may be causing insomnia or making it worse.

2. When you talk to your doctor, remain calm. I know it's hard when you're this sick, but if you're only going in there for a Zoloft prescription, there's no need to go into any details. You're just there for a prescription. Getting hysterical or emotional around a psychiatrist may not be in your best interest if you truly want off these drugs. 

Doctors do not speak the language of withdrawal, they only speak in terms of mental illness. So keep the conversation short and to the point. You need the Zoloft to taper, but he doesn't need to know that. 

These threads may help:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

These are videos that may be of interest:

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

Remember to be as calm as possible with your doctor. 

Please let us know how it goes. 

Yes I'm taking the Zoloft at night and I don't know what the Zoloft is doing to me cause the benzo WD is so unbearable! I get probably about 5-6 hours of sleep a night and some nights are better than others. Like last night the numbness, burning, and pressure in my head along with the confusion and intrusive thoughts were so bad I tossed and turned most the night and woke up again this morning with horrible pressure and numbness in my head in a complete state of confusion with this dark evil cloud emotionally with horrible intrusive thoughts I feel like I'm dying physically and losing my mind emotionally! This is crazy and I'm losing hope and don't know what to do? My appointment is at 2:30pm and I can barely function around the house much less go out and I don't even know what to say to the doctor or what he will even be able to do for me? It's gotten so bad that all I can do is lay on the couch or set in the floor and cry and rock back and forth this is miserable and torture and torment with no end!

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are posting replies in this thread, you have the knowledge and ability to post your symptom notes. :)

Here's the text of post (linked to above) that details the format for a daily symptom log:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

What we need to see for every individual day over several days is:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning
- Time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon
- Time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening
- Time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night
- Time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, such as:

6 a.m. Woke and vomited
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Had diarrhea
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Stomachache
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Headache got worse
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")

scallywag's Introduction

Well like this morning same as it is every morning I woke up to severe pressure, burning, tingling in my head, very disappointed and confused extreme anxiety dizzy nauseous and light headed with severe DP/DR and the horrible evil intrusive thoughts that make you feel like I'm dying or going crazy! I tried to shave and take a shower to come to the doctor but I can't hardly even focus or recognize myself in the mirror and I don't control my brain anymore as it's filled with anxiety torture and and torment both physically and mentally all day every day I'm here at the doctor now and on the way here it was like not even being in reality couldn't hold my head up to look out the window or focus on the world around me with all the pressure and burning in my head and setting here now can barely hold my head up just so much pressure and burning and tingling with these horrible evil intrusive thoughts I really do feel like I'm dying or going crazy! It's like the world is not real anymore and all hope I had for the future is gone! I'm scared to be alone but I'm scared to be around anyone cause the thoughts are so horrible! This is crazy I'm 11 weeks off the Xanax and I know I'm still in acute WD haven't even got to the protracted symptoms yet no windows or waves just constant symptoms and I was thinking about the Zoloft on the way over and what that's doing to my brain and having to WD from that and it's just a very dark bleak world right now!

Ok I so feel all alone now and hope is all but gone! I just left the doctor appointment and it was useless. I tried to give a brief description about what I'd been through and am still going through with benzo WD and concerning the Zoloft and he just looked at me like he had no clue and like I was crazy! The only thing we could agree on was more drugs was not the answer and he left it up to me to start reducing the dose of the Zoloft but he recommended dropping to 50mg right off the bat and I don't know if that's so wise to cut 50% out of the gate after 5 weeks at 100mg. So I'm lost and don't now what to do? The burning and pressure in my head is relentless and these horrible evil intrusive thoughts never end and my mind has been so damaged by these drugs I don't see anything but more pain and suffering ahead!

Maize.   Please hold off making any changes to your Zoloft dose right now.

Dropping by 50 % is going to destabilize your CNS ( central nervous system) further which is the last thing you need right now. You need stability.

When we can possibly ascertain a symptom pattern we will be able to advise further.

If you can keep some notes ( as described above ) then we will have more information to work from. For now , PLEASE HOLD.

In the meantime if you can - work on calming yourself using the non - drug techniques mentioned in the link above.

These will help as symptoms are often exacerbated by stress.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I just don't know what the Zoloft is doing to my brain or if it's making some of these symptoms worse? I know the severe pressure pain and burning or the physical symptoms in my head are from acute Xanax WD and it's hard to imagine these symptoms not improving at all if not getting worse after 11 weeks so hope is fading! And the emotional symptoms like the DP/DR confusion and especially the horrible intrusive thoughts could the Zoloft be making these symptoms worse? I would never cut 50% the best I could figure is 12.5% every two weeks is the slowest I could taper off it.