SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MaizeNblue81: Tapering Zoloft during severe acute Xanax WD

maizeNblue81

Ok I took the 100mg Zoloft tonight at 10pm as per usual and I'm getting ready to try and lay down. My symptoms feel worse tonight for some reason but there always bad so I don't know? Severe burning, numbness and pressure that moves all over my head and tonight it's especially bad in my forehead up to the middle of my head. Extreme confusion DP/DR I can't even hardly stand up as I feel lightheaded and dizzy and like I'm gonna pass out and it's just like living in a complete non reality world and like this can't be happening! The dull sense emotionally with horrible evil intrusive thoughts is still there and I just feel like I can't breath and a feeling of deep despair like I'm not going to survive and this is the end! My vision is off and I guess it's like that brain fog and cognitive fog everyone talks about but whatever it is it's complete torture and misery so much pressure down into my ears and neck it's all the same and I just laid at my moms feet for the last half hour rocking back and forth crying and just in complete despair it's so miserable and all very scary I don't know if I'll ever recover!

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maizeNblue81

• ChessieCat

• JanCarol

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize, hey.

I think you will recover, as miserable and scary as things are now. Your symptoms sound a whole lot like mine, a whole lot. Particularly with the intrusive thoughts which are so vile and terrifying; but those thoughts aren't you, they don't represent who you are, and eventually they will go away. It's hard when we are polydrugged (take, or have taken multiple drugs) to know which is causing which symptoms. I was polydrugged with Xanax/Ativan and Mirtazapine (antidepressant). I basically did a rapid detox of the Xanax the way you did and that was what caused the initial problems for me. Everything just fell apart and I experienced many of the symptoms you described. The mirtazapine was something I basically had to tolerate through it all and I am at a very low dose of it, still tapering as we speak. Your central nervous system has been destabilized. I personally was not able to find any drug that helped me stabilize my own when I was in the throes of suffering. And I tried many of those you mentioned; seroquel and risperidal were hospital favorites of the doctors and I hospitalized myself twice because of the intensity of the intrusive thoughts. They were my worst and most frightening symptom. It's difficult to say when things may settle down for you. It took me many months to see signs of improvement, but your body and your nervous system are resilient systems and they are always seeking homeostasis, balance. I think it is important to be as gentle with your nervous system as you can now. No big introductions or subtractions to what you are currently taking. And you basically have to allow those symptoms to rev up and burn themselves out without the knee-jerk reaction to do something about it. I mean that is what it came to for me. I had to let the symptoms be symptoms without trying to fix them - they'll fix themselves. Eventually.

Hang in there. I know how remarkably scary the symptoms you are feeling are. But you haven't broken yourself for life. Things will get better with time, inordinate patience, and sensible nurturing of your body and nervous system.

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

Well I woke up this morning the same with the severe numbness and pressure in my face and forehead and the horrible evil intrusive thoughts are extremely bad this morning as my mind just goes to a dark place and some of the thoughts are really disturbing and crazy! Confusion DP/DR off the charts! I'm just laying here in bed now after I just got up to get a class of water and I'd say those are the worst symptoms that I have right now and they are pretty consistent and never ending. Just the constant head pressure and numbness the confusion DP/DR and the dark intrusive thoughts honestly I feel like I'm losing my mind and becoming psychotic! I don't have any control of my brain anymore and I know a lot of the symptoms are from acute benzo WD as the head pressure and intrusive thoughts seem to be a common symptom with severe acute benzo WD but I just can't tell what the Zoloft is doing or if it is exasperating some of these symptoms especially the mental ones and the thoughts so I don't know what to do? I feel like I will never recover and these drugs have destroyed my brain and the old me is lost! So I'm stuck I don't know if I should very slowly taper the Zoloft or ride it out a little longer but I can say the Zoloft doesn't seem to have helped or elevated any of my symptoms since my detox of not made the situation worse!

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Moderator Emeritus

maize - because of all the changes in your medication in the last few months you are not going to be able to sort out what symptom is caused by what medication without taking notes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Well I only take the one medication now just Zoloft and I take it at the same time every night before bed and these are my symptoms and have been since I came out of the hospital! As far as any noticeable changes that came during this period was about a few days maybe a week after I got completely off the resperdal and upped the Zoloft to 100mg the symptoms seem to worsen from that point after about a week I did notice a change and it's hard to do that on a daily basis cause the symptoms are so constant and consistent so I just don't know what to do but this is our misery!

Maize,

I cannot help you from a medical point of view but if you are willing I would like you to try something:

You need to raise your vibration to deal with the horrible intrusive thoughts. I don't know if you pray but I suggest you start out under the shower and keep saying the prayer below over and over again. If there is another prayer you like more, by all means say it over and over again, don't give up, be persistant. Pay attention to what happens and if you notice that the evil thoughts are less then show gratitude. You may have to repeat this for quite a while.

Our Father-God who art in heaven; holy is thy name. Thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is done in heaven.

Give us this day our needed bread;

Help us forget the debts that other people owe to us, that all our debts may be discharged.

And shield us from the tempter's snares that are too great for us to bear;

And when they come give us the strength to overcome. 

If you hear strong thoughts of resistance/ridicule, all the more reason to try it.

In August 2012 I was hospitalised after going through a psychosis. I used to wander around in the hospital in order to cope with everything that went on in my mind. At one point I had a complete black-out and the psychiatrist on duty gave me two injections with clopixal 50 mg, dehydrobenzperidol 5 mg and tranxène 50 mg. I was completely off the world for a whole weekend. After I woke up he prescribed me Invega 6 mg which I used to flush through the toilet. After two weeks I could leave the hospital and over a period of about 4 months I felt more and more terrible up to the point where it felt as if my mind was shutting down and I started losing all coordination. At the end of December I finally decided to be hospitalised again and I was given Invega 3 mg and Lorametazepam 2 mg at my own request. I used to break the Lorametazepam in half just to get me through the night. In May 2013 I tried to stop taking the Invega but I couldn’t cope. It wasn’t until July/August 2015 when I felt both physically and mentally strong enough that I decided to taper off the Invega. As recommended on this website I switched from Invega 3 mg to Risperdal 2 ml. I tapered off by 10% every 2 to 3 weeks. Towards the end I tapered off by 10% every other week when only a few drops were left. In April 2016 I took my last drop of Risperdal. In general I didn’t have any problem falling asleep but it was only for 2 to 4 hours. So I took the Lorametazepam ranging from 0,5 to 1 mg to help me sleep the rest of the night. In July I started taking Lavender tincture to replace the Lorametazepam and it worked out fine but I am sad to say that I take the Lorametazepam again when my mind is very overactive.

I can honestly say if it wasn't for the prayers of my mother I would not be here! I feel I nothing short of a miracle to survive this as it is the worst most horrific thing I have ever been through torture and torment with no end! I'm losing hope more and more by the day! My symptoms are so severe they have taking over my life and it's hard to see any hope for a future. The constant burning, tingling, numbness and pressure in my head is unbearable and the fear anxiety and horrible evil intrusive thoughts are very scary and I feel like I'm losing my mind! The confusion DP/DR and just feeling like I'm not even in reality anymore is insane! I don't know what to do either and this is not even the only health concern I face at the moment and it's hard to even function or put one foot in front of the other! I don't know what to do with the Zoloft as the benzo WD is still in the acute stage and very severe so I'm at a loss and losing hope!

Im so very scared and losing hope by the day! Im 11 weeks out today from a CT detox in the hospital in which I spent two weeks. All I can do is set here and rock back and forth on the couch or in my bed in total pain and misery! The worst of it is constant burning, tingling, numbness and pressure in my brain that moves from my forehead to my temples to the top all the way down into my ears and back of my head and neck! It's so bad all I can do is set in the floor and cry or on the couch or in my bed rocking back and forth! Today it's especially bad in my forehead and burning and numbness in the back of my head and neck! It's relentless never ending and no relief. Then there's the constant confusion DP/DR and having one day roll into the next not knowing what I'm doing half the time can't recognize myself in the mirror having to remind myself when I stand up or go to do something of what it is I'm supposed to be doing! It's crazy! And one of the scariest besides the pressure in my head is this constant dark cloud evil intrusive thoughts that are scary and make me feel like I'm losing my mind! I just grab my head with the physical pain and can't even lay down and watch TV without my mind going to a dark place I feel like I'm honestly dying! The only med I'm on now is Zoloft 100mg and honestly the benzo WD is so severe I can't tell what the Zoloft is doing to my brain or if it's not just making it worse! I'm losing hope that I will ever recover and all I see is more pain and suffering ahead! I just don't know what to do?

• Moderator Emeritus

maize -- I don't know how to be any clearer than this -- Your overall summary of symptoms doesn't help us help you.

If you'd like to report symptoms in a way that will allow us to help us help you, please post in this format:

For every individual day over several days please list:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning
- Time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon
- Time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening
- Time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night
- Time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Where do I do that? And I don't know what else to do cause the symptoms are the same everyday some days worse than others like today! But again the only med I take now is Zoloft at night before bed and my symptoms today I've posted all day long and their almost the same as everyday!

I'm scared out of my mind and I'm freaking out! The pressure and numbness and burning in my brain is so intense and the horrible evil intrusive thoughts in my mind scares me so bad and have been off the charts the last few days and I just wander if the Zoloft isn't making this worse?

• Moderator Emeritus

Where do I do that? And I don't know what else to do cause the symptoms are the same everyday some days worse than others like today! But again the only med I take now is Zoloft at night before bed and my symptoms today I've posted all day long and their almost the same as everyday!

maize, post your daily symptoms and medications log right here in your introduction topic.

scallywag's Introduction

Ok well today my symptoms were I woke up with severe pressure and numbness in my head as usual and the confusion and intrusive thoughts hit me first thing! As the day went on about lunch time into the afternoon the pressure got worse in my forehead and burning and numbness in the back of my head! It was constant confusion DP/DR all day long when I laid down to watch TV this afternoon all I could do is set on the couch and rock back and forth caus the pressure and pain in my head was so severe and I noticed this morning in the am and this afternoon especially the horrible evil thoughts where off the charts so much so o had to get up and walk around and go out side and pace they were so bad! The only meds I take is Zoloft and I took it at 10pm and I'm getting ready to go to bed now but the symptoms are still the same constant pressure burning and numbness in my face, forehead down into my ears and back of my neck, extreme confusion and horrible evil intrusive thoughts all off the charts these are the most disturbing symptoms and again they are all pretty constant and no relief in sight!

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize, please answer:

• Do you get any other symptoms such as nausea or dizziness after taking Zoloft?
  • After you take Zoloft, how long does it take you to fall asleep?
  • How many hours do you sleep?

These are the questions we need answered in order for us to help you. 

I don't think any other symptoms but I'm not sure? As far as sleep normally about a hour after I lay down I can go to sleep but the last two nights have been different! Tonight the pressure and numbness in my head is so severe along with I don't know if it's anxiety or what but I feel like I can't breath or I'm having trouble breathing I haven't been able to even get to sleep tonight I almost dozed off once but then I just felt like I couldn't breath and had this sharp pain go through my chest and almost like an electric shock on the left side of my brain and it woke me back up and here I am feeling like I can't breath short shallow breath tons of pressure in my head and my chest and can't sleep but normally about an hour after I lay down and about 5-6 hours a night is normal. Sometimes I may only get a few hours of sleep at night but then sleep 4-5 hours after I wake up and lay back down in the morning.

I do get dizzy and have nasuea but it's not particularly from or right after I take the Zoloft but again the symptoms are so severe it's hard to know?

• Moderator Emeritus

Since you're sleeping about 5 hours, that's a really good sign, Maize. I know you're really struggling right now, but to sleep for 5 hours when you're only 2.5 months off Xanax, that's a very good sign. 

I would hold the Zoloft at 100 mg. To make any cuts right now might destabilize you more. 

Tonight the pressure and numbness in my head is so severe along with I don't know if it's anxiety or what but I feel like I can't breath or I'm having trouble breathing I haven't been able to even get to sleep tonight I almost dozed off once but then I just felt like I couldn't breath and had this sharp pain go through my chest and almost like an electric shock on the left side of my brain and it woke me back up and here I am feeling like I can't breath 

This sounds like a symptom sometimes called "air hunger". It's extremely common in benzo withdrawal.

If you can, take long, deep breaths and try to calm yourself down. It will pass. 

This is a really gentle and calming breathing exercise that helped me a lot during my own benzo withdrawal. 

4-7-8 Breathing Exercise by GoZen - VIDEO (3:39 minutes)

Slow, deep breaths. Gentle thoughts, calming thoughts. 

Learning these types of breathing techniques has been one of the most helpful things I've learned so far. It takes practice, but it's well worth it, especially for symptoms like intense dp/dr, anxiety, and air hunger. 

Here is more information:

Pranayama Breathing for Anxiety and Depression

And continue with the gentle thoughts, calming thoughts. 

And again, I would hold the Zoloft steady at 100 mg, as your sleep is good for someone going through the acute stage of benzo withdrawal. 

Hang in there. It will get better.

Im 11 weeks out today from a CT detox in the hospital in which I spent two weeks. 

What did the CT detox entail?

I can honestly say if it wasn't for the prayers of my mother I would not be here! I

It is very positive that you gain strength from your mother's prayers but you have to do your own praying if you want to be relieved from the torture and torment. Your fear and not knowing how to deal with the horrible intrusive thoughts allow them to occupy all the space in your mind and paralyze you. When you watch TV, what do you watch?

You have to create space in your mind for uplifting thoughts. Do you hear any uplifting thoughts as well? Do you like: read, write, music, walk, jogging, swimming, doing odd jobs… ?

It is important to shift your focus and get breakthrough, even if it is only a tiny one at first.

In August 2012 I was hospitalised after going through a psychosis. I used to wander around in the hospital in order to cope with everything that went on in my mind. At one point I had a complete black-out and the psychiatrist on duty gave me two injections with clopixal 50 mg, dehydrobenzperidol 5 mg and tranxène 50 mg. I was completely off the world for a whole weekend. After I woke up he prescribed me Invega 6 mg which I used to flush through the toilet. After two weeks I could leave the hospital and over a period of about 4 months I felt more and more terrible up to the point where it felt as if my mind was shutting down and I started losing all coordination. At the end of December I finally decided to be hospitalised again and I was given Invega 3 mg and Lorametazepam 2 mg at my own request. I used to break the Lorametazepam in half just to get me through the night. In May 2013 I tried to stop taking the Invega but I couldn’t cope. It wasn’t until July/August 2015 when I felt both physically and mentally strong enough that I decided to taper off the Invega. As recommended on this website I switched from Invega 3 mg to Risperdal 2 ml. I tapered off by 10% every 2 to 3 weeks. Towards the end I tapered off by 10% every other week when only a few drops were left. In April 2016 I took my last drop of Risperdal. In general I didn’t have any problem falling asleep but it was only for 2 to 4 hours. So I took the Lorametazepam ranging from 0,5 to 1 mg to help me sleep the rest of the night. In July I started taking Lavender tincture to replace the Lorametazepam and it worked out fine but I am sad to say that I take the Lorametazepam again when my mind is very overactive.

Well I say 5-6 hours but that's not consistent every night and it takes me a long time to get to sleep and sometimes my sleep is broken up like maybe a 3-4 hours at night and then a few hours in the morning it's different from night to night and again last night I didn't hardly sleep at all as I tried to lay down at about 12:30-1:00am and laid here with all that pressure in my head and feeling like I couldn't breath till after 4:00am then I might have dozed off for a few hours then woke back up at 6:10am. The pressure, numbness, burning in my head is intense and constant one of the worst symptoms I have and have had since towards the end before and after I went into the hospital so I know that's from benzo use and WD as many on BenzoBuddies have had this same symptom and it is relentless and nothing I do or can do brings relief! The constant confusion DP/DR and horrible evil intrusive thoughts some that I wouldn't tell anyone about are all apart of my WD symptoms and very scary and have not faded at all and some have gotten worse! What I worry about with the Zoloft is my benzo WD still being in an acute like phase and so severe that I don't know what Zoloft is really doing or how it's contributed to all these symptoms besides the head pressure as I know that's the benzos! I just know the longer you take these meds and the higher the dose the more damage they do and the harder it is to come off of down the road and I worry about what it's really doing to my already severely damaged brain so I'm scared to keep taking it but then I do worry about WD and the way it might affect what I'm already going through but then it might be making that worse by taking it! All I know is I knew in the hospital I was experiencing severe tolerance WD to Xanax before I went in and after being CT off it the severe acute WD took over and nothing can help benzo WD other than another benzo but the damage was already done and the Zoloft and resperdal I was on for a month was just more drugs in my brain and haven't done anything to eleviate any of my symptoms if not make them worse and here I am now 11 weeks off the Xanax and I've been taking the Zoloft 10 weeks and 5 weeks at 100mg and I'm no better if not worse than when I started!

• Moderator Emeritus

maize, I'd really like to assist you. I'm having a hard time reading your posts.

Two requests:

1. Would you use the "Enter" or "Return" key when you post so that you create several paragraphs instead of one massive one?

2. Would you report symptoms as I've suggested?

scallywag's Introduction

Ok last night and today have been complete misery! I didn't get much sleep at all. I took my Zoloft at 10pm and then tried to lay down about 1am. The constant burning, numbness, and pressure in my head was so unbearable I couldn't sleep and I just laid there feeling like I couldn't breath! I finally feel asleep about 4:30am and then had to get up about 6:15am to take my girls to school then tried to come back and lay down and tossed and turned in complete misery till about 2:30pm when I got up. My symptoms are still the same and severe to the point I can hardly function! The burning, tingling, numbness, buzzing and pressure in my head is so unbearable and very scary! Constant confusion DP/DR, anxiety, fear, dizzy, nauseous, feel like I can't breath, and horrible evil intrusive thoughts that make me feel like I'm having a psycho breakdown! It's all the same everyday misery with no end! I'm losing hope and don't know what to do?

I really need some help I'm losing hope! I don't know what to do with the Zoloft and this misery and torment is more than I can stand! I feel like I'm dying and losing my mind! The torment and torture is taking its toll on my mind and my body!

The constant numbness burning intense pressure in my head is relentless and unbearable! Everytime I tense my head up it's like some has my head in a vice and has taking a corkscrew and stabbed my brain and just keeps twisting it and buzzing like an electric current in my head and ears!

The extreme confusion DP/DR and horrible evil intrusive thoughts are so very scary! Even setting here writing this my head is just burning and numb with this dull sense emotionally and nothing but an evil cloud of thoughts in my head my lord I can't breath!

All I can do is set on the couch or on the floor at my moms feet and cry and rock back and forth in constant torture and misery! I don't think I can make it or I'm gonna survive this is so bad and no end to the torment in sight! I'm losing hope and I have several other health concerns like quitting smoking and othe things I can't mention on here but my chest feels like it's gonna explode and I can't breath and my mind is filled with so much evil and all the bad that's gonna or could happen to me and all the suffering ahead! I mean it's been 11 weeks and no improvement still in severe acute benzo WD and I don't know what Zoloft is doing to my brain this is misery and I just want my life back but I don't know if I'll ever smile again?

Not much sleep again last night as my sleep pattern has changed over the last 3 or 4 days. I didn't get to sleep again till about 4am and has to get up at 6am so that's two nights in a row only getting a few hours of sleep!

The burning, numbness, and pressure in my head is still off the charts and unbearable! Constant confusion, anxiety, fear, severe DP/DR and horrible evil intrusive thoughts are still the main symptoms and I don't even feel like there is anything left of the old me at all! It's like living in this non reality state with constant physical and emotional torment in my brain and I feel like I'm losing my mind and I just don't know how much more my brain or my body can take? This is complete misery and suffering without any end in sight!

• Moderator Emeritus

From what I've read this is what benzo WD looks like :(

But people make it! Our former mod Wellness wrote a lot on how to cope. There was a member Desertchild who had it real bad (that would probably scare you :(

I should ask Shep what she thinks would happen if you were to take a tiny crumb of xanax after all this time...

It's hard to say what role Zoloft is playing now. When I significantly reduced Xanax my AD seemed to have become too activating (would wake up every 2 hours for 5 months!). That's why Scally keeps asking about symptoms relative to when you take Zoloft: to see if it is too activating or producing other adverse effects.

But I understand how hard it is to it with everything being so off charts without a discernable pattern...

However reducing the drug with an already badly compromised central nervous system is very likely to make things even worse (unfortunately as bad as things are they can get even worse...)

But people survive it and recover! You didn't take the drug for so long as some of us. Just focus on making it from one moment to the next and things will get better. Have you ever checked benzo buddies? I could never make myself feel at home there but people say they have a great section for protracted benzo WD...

Hang in there.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Yeah I have been on benzo buddies since august now when I started running into major problems with Xanax to begin with and I've had good and bad experiences on there but I can also say if it were not for the information and a few very helpful people who have suffered the way I have I wouldn't have made it this far!

I have learned a lot more about these drugs than I ever wanted to know and it's still so hard to believe that I'm even in this situation due to a prescription med! I had no clue Xanax could do this to someone but it can and it's destroyed my life and any hope of any kind of a future!

My symptoms are already unbearable and very scary and seem like they have not gotten any better in the now almost 3 months since I've been off that horrible drug! It has taking over my life and left me without hope!

I really don't know what to do? I do think the majority of my symptoms are still severe acute benzo WD but it's so hard to tell what the Zoloft is actually doing cause my symptoms are so bad and I can't tell what if any benefits it gives me or if it really is making me worse and amplifying what I'm already going through? I'm sure it can get worse but it's hard to imagine with the symptoms I already have!

I've been off Xanax now 11 weeks and I've been on Zoloft for 10 weeks and 5 almost 6 weeks at 100mg. My symptoms are still severe and to give a full list it would be:

Severe unbearable burning, tingling numbness and pressure in my head that includes some kind of buzzing noise everytime intense my head in anyway. Severe dizziness and nausea when I stand up and my balance seems to be really off cause it feels like I'm gonna fall over and pass out everytime I stand up or walk!

Constant confusion, I don't even know what day it is half the time as one days torture and misery rolls into the next and this includes severe DP/DR honestly I can't even hardly recognize my own face in the mirror and when I touch my face it's honestly like I'm touching someone else's face or someone else is touching my face! I have to constantly dig deep inside to even find any kind of true reality anymore!

Other than the head pressure the second most disturbing symptom is the horrible evil very scary intrusive thoughts that are filled with fear and anxiety to the point at times I don't want to be by myself or around anyone else at times and this symptom the most I worry about the Zoloft making worse that and the anxiety as I already suffer from panic attacks and now have that health anxiety they talk about on top of all this!

So what do I do? Constant misery and torment with no end in sight and I'm losing hope and feel like I'm dying! And this is not the only health issue I have.

Oh and my sleep has been ok up until the last 3 or 4 days it's been really bad just a few hours in the early morning is all I get...

• Moderator Emeritus

Please read this entire post.

MaizeNblue: I know you're having a hard time. Benzo withdrawal is a real beast.

To report your symptoms, please do not  post them as you have been doing, all at once in one or multiple paragraphs.

Please follow these four (4) steps:

1. Get a notebook or a blank piece of paper.

2. Keep the notebook or paper with you during the day.

3. Write your symptoms and medications down in the notebook in the format detailed below.

4. Copy the notes for one day in a post here in your introduction topic.

Format for notes about symptoms and medications:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning
- Time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon
- Time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening
- Time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night
- Time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

end of post

scallywag's Introduction

• Administrator

maize, many people here have had severe withdrawal symptoms like yours and come through it. It can take more patience and persistence than you ever thought you had in you, but you have it, you need to find it.

Please seriously consider taking up meditation in the form of deep breathing, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/This will help you get through this bad patch.

Also see Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

Do you remember how your symptoms got worse after increasing from 50mg to 100mg Zoloft? We need to figure out if it's worth risking further destabilization by reducing the Zoloft.

If you do decide to reduce it, if I were you, I'd take the cautious 10% route, see Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ok I'm trying but my symptoms are so bad I can hardly function! I'm still at 100mg on the Zoloft so I have not changed the meds situation at all and Zoloft is the only med I have been on now for 6 weeks!

Today has been especially rough and my symptoms have been extra severe today! The pressure burning numbness in my head has been so bad I can hardly stand up and if I do it's even worse and I get light headed and dizzy and feel really nauseous like I'm gonna pass out!

My sleep has been pretty rough the last 3-4 days as I've only been getting about 2-3 hours of sleep a night and usually in the early morning!

I must keep myself or try to keep myself as busy as possible to keep my mind busy cause if not the intrusive thoughts overwhelm me and I feel like I'm losing my mind and so much confusion DP/DR I don't even feel real anymore but the worst symptom by far right not is the physical pain burning numbness and pressure in my head it is relentless and unbearable!

I'm 11 weeks out off Xanax and I've been on Zoloft now 10 weeks and I can't tell still what's causing what and I feel like I'm dying and I don't know what to do?

Oh and I do remember it got worse about a week or seemed like my symptoms increased about a week after going up to 100mg on the Zoloft and coming off the resperdal it did get noticeably worse after that.

Maize, how long did it take you to come off the risperdal, what was your dosage and did you take pills or liquid?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Maize.

I'm going to post here instead of on your benzo thread.

Please read Alto's post, which I'm copying below. She does mention a 10% reduction. Let us know what you think. 

maize, many people here have had severe withdrawal symptoms like yours and come through it. It can take more patience and persistence than you ever thought you had in you, but you have it, you need to find it.

Please seriously consider taking up meditation in the form of deep breathing, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/This will help you get through this bad patch.

Also see Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

Do you remember how your symptoms got worse after increasing from 50mg to 100mg Zoloft? We need to figure out if it's worth risking further destabilization by reducing the Zoloft.

If you do decide to reduce it, if I were you, I'd take the cautious 10% route, see Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

• Administrator

Oh and I do remember it got worse about a week or seemed like my symptoms increased about a week after going up to 100mg on the Zoloft and coming off the resperdal it did get noticeably worse after that.

Hmmmm, could be that going off Risperdal caused that worsening, rather than the increase in Zoloft.

You might try a 10% reduction of Zoloft and see what happens. It will take at least 4 days for the change to fully register in your system. Please let us know how you're doing.

Good for you keeping your mind off distressing thoughts. We call that "changing the channel." Keep at it, this is a constructive way to deal with the problem.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was only on resperdal for 4 weeks and took pills not liquid. I was only on it for 4 weeks and the first two weeks I was on .5mg and then I dropped to .25mg for two weeks then I got off it!

The Zoloft I really don't know what to do? I've been on it now 10 weeks and almost 6 weeks at 100mg. Again I did notice my symptoms seem to I'm intensify about a week after I came off the resperdal and went up on the Zoloft from 75mg to 100mg. But my symptoms are still so horrible and severe I don't know what's causing what as I know I'm still in severe acute benzo WD so that makes it hard to tell.

I've tried to cut the 100mg tablets down and it's hard to be accurate with that but the best I could do was about a 12.5% cut taking the 100mg breaking them in half and then cutting the the half in half a couple of times but it's hard. I have a another appointment on January 31st and I'm gonna ask for 50mg tablets then that are easier to cut.

So what to do till then?

• Moderator Emeritus
So what to do till then? 

Do as much self care as you can. Do you have any guided meditations you like? Gentle music? Are you able to go for short walks outside? 

I found that watching old comedies on YouTube helped pass the time. I couldn't handle anything stressful though. Gentle comedies were best.

If going outside is difficult, you may find some of these yoga stretches to be a helpful way to get some gentle exercise, if you feel up to it:

Beyond Meds - Yoga

Before your doctors appointment, you may want to read through these threads and come up with how you'd like to taper later on. Dry cutting may be difficult and may not be accurate enough, so you may want to use a scale or even do a liquid titration. 

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Using a digital scale to measure doses

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Ok my symptoms are still pure misery and torture that words can not describe! The worst by far is the constant intense burning, numbness and pressure in my brain and today it's mainly in my forehead and above my eyes and when I stand up I get dizzy and feel like I'm gonna pass out and when I lay down it just pounds and I'm getting a massive headache today on top of it! And constant buzzing In my head anytime I tense up or move my head.

The constant confusion, DP/DR is off the charts I've lost me and just walk around dazed and confused all the time like I'm not even in reality anymore and this is not happening!

My vision is off too everything is blurry and hard to focus on anything not even the TV. And the horrible evil cloud over my head and the intrusive thoughts make me feel not like myself and like I'm losing my mind!

I know most of this is acute benzo WD but I just worry about what the Zoloft is actually doing to me and if it's not making some of these symptoms worse especially emotionally and the thoughts!

My sleep hasn't been good either especially because of the horrible head pressure I just can't sleep! All this is just taking a toll on my mind and body and I don't know what to do?

I've gained so much weight, I can't work or go to the gym or do anything and I feel like I'm dying! This is pure misery and torture!