If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

MaizeNblue81: Tapering Zoloft during severe acute Xanax WD

sertraline Zoloft alpazolam Xanax

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#397 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,005 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

If you are feeling you want to do an exploratory decrease now, Maize, that's up to you. There's no rule you can't.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#398 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

Do you think it's safe or ok knowing my symptoms and where I'm at? That's why I try to update everyone here on my symptoms and how I'm doing on a regular basis and I've been as open and honest with them as I can so what's the suggested action here?

I'm just trying to do this right without making it any worse than it already is.

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

#399 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,005 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

We're back to your usual question. It's up to you to make the call. If it doesn't feel safe, don't make the change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#400 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

I'm sorry I'm trying so hard here and I don't know what to do? I know the head pressure numbness and physical stuff in my brain is benzo WD but I really can't tell what side effects or even when I decreased before the Zoloft is having but I know the longer I take it the more damage it's doing so I'm lost.

I'm trying so hard with work and everything else to be patient and try to focus on the good and that one day I will get better but this is so hard and the symptoms are still so bad I don't know what to do?

I'm 6 months off benzos now and that means I've been on Zoloft about as long.

I've made it through the first 3 weeks of a new job but it's still a struggle and a fight everyday but I'm trying I really am trying but these drugs especially xanex just did so much damage to me and I don't understand why it's still so bad cause I've officially been off now as long as I was on 6 months and still no relief.

Am I ever gonna heal?

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

#401 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,005 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

If you look back on your Intro topic, you will see you've asked the same questions perhaps 2 dozen times.

Yes, you will heal. It will take time. Further drug adjustments are up to you. We can't foretell what will happen. 

#402 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

Well it will just be going from 87.5 to 80mg and that way I can get it situated to where it's more accurate and prepared to taper later on down the road. Is 7.5mg gonna make that big a difference after 8 weeks this way?

#403 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,668 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

The only way to know if and how its going to effect you is to try it.

If you feel you are stable enough now, then make the decision you feel is best. We don't know what's going to happen, so we can't tell you what to do.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#404 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

I guess my question it's knowing my symptoms but not knowing what's the cause of all of them still in the early stages of my new job and taking everything into account what's the best choice here?

I don't want to make things worse and I want to be smart about all this cause my symptoms are still so severe but if the Zoloft is making things worse then I need to slowly ween off it but my brain can't handle much more I can't handle much more so I feel like I'm in a lose lose situation now .

#405 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,976 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

Something you might consider is doing a smaller reduction than 10%, perhaps a 5% drop.  For a 5% reduction you would remove 1 1/2 syringes or 15ml.

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 25mg (from 21 April 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

I've still got a way to go ... but I've already come a long way!!!

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#406 peng

peng

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationS. Queensferry, West Lothian, Scotland

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:00 AM

I am not a doctor, but have almost 40 years experience of being on varying amounts of tranx (ativan) then ADs.  For 20 years, or so, of the period 1977-2001, despite having some time off with illness, I held down a fairly taxing scientific job, (even appearing in court from time to time as expert witness - [tough going!]), raised 3 children to adulthood with my wife, and paid off our house.  There were extremely distressing times, but I survived.

Personally, I would not reduce the dose of Zoloft (whatever it is) - in my experience you sound in such a poor state of stability you deperately need a platform to rest on.  It has to be your own choice, of course, as Altostrata and others say.

Also, re sinusitis, ideally, you should not have ceased the full course of the relatively mild antibiotics.  I have just had the worst 3 months of suffering from sinusitis in my life.  It took 3 courses of antibiotics, each one stronger than the previous.   Amoxycillin is the 1st one to be tried IME, but is relatively weak.  Sinus infections are deep seated, often, and with little blood supply going to them, they can be stubborn to kill.  Believe me, sinusitis is a complaint I have had since childhood and despite being against the overuse of antibs, they are mostly the only thing that can shift my infection.

It is easy when you are severely overwrought and stressed, to blame something like, say, an antibiotic or a food, shampoo, dry air at work, etc, etc, as the cause of a perceived worsening of your illness, which feels real enough, but often we are being tricked by our nerves into that conviction.  Many of us on here have been there several times.

Being a car dealership service manager is a highly stressful job here in the UK, I would say.  The last angry sounding-off I gave to someone was to a cold caller who was a man in that position.  He was trying to get me to book my car into them several months before it was due for its annual service and MOT (UK Government road-worthiness examination for cars reaching 3 or more years of age).  He represented the main dealer  of the French brand in the county, but I have had appalling work done (not done?) by them since I got the car and prefer to use a local non-franchised garage within walking distance, with whom I have been, most of the time, for the last 30 years, or so.  Really, I would hate that job.  You certainly have been through the wringer, Maize, if you have had that position as a new job - and with new colleagues and managers - in your state of health.  Well done, you!!

Anyway, best wishes for your coming few days and weeks, man, and remember, this is not a reprimand, only trying to give advice based on having been there. As most of us will say, hang in there, it does improve!

1977 - Collapse of health at 32 after 12 years of irregular and stressful shift work. 1977-84Ativan, then 1984-2002 Anafranil.  2002-13 – Effexor XL 150-187.5mg.

2014 Jan -2016 Jun. Had to raise Effexor to 225mg due external crisis.  Chronic fatigue, tiredness and low mood.  Felt I had reached a brick wall as far as medication went. 2016/6 - Blood tests, Folic acid.

2016 17Jun - Feeling better within a couple of days. 2016 13Jul  -  212.5mg Effexor. (-5.5%). 2016  6Aug  - 200.0mg Effexor. (-5.9%) 24Aug - 187.5mg Effexor. (-6.3%). 13Sep – 175.0mg Effexor (-6.7% .   Folic acid finished after 80 days.  Feeling best for a couple of years. 22Sep – GP Prescribed 5mg Folic Acid/day tfn.   3Oct   - 162.5mg Effexor (-7.1%)  7mg Omeprazole.   2016 15Oct -disappointing to hit extreme fatigue again after 3.5 months, by 23Oct not bad again, despite having cold and old familiar sinusitis. 26Oct - 150mg Effexor (-7.7%). 3mg Omeprazole. 31Oct - 2mg Omeprazole, off 5mg Folic Acid. 7Nov - ZERO Omeprazole.

2017 9Jan - 150mg Effexor. Stalled at this dose for >2 mo.  Will only resume later in year when mood lifts.  23Mar - 137.5mg Effexor.

Current other meds/Supps/Vits

540mg EPA /day - 280mg Magnesium Malate - Vit D, Probiotic. Honey instead of table sugar in tea and coffee, wef Oct16 and after taking sugar nearly all my life.

#407 Lakelander82

Lakelander82

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

Peng I think you are on the money with regard to searching for small innocuous things to blame ie food,antibiotic,shampoo etc for the worsening of the nervous condition. I read of people blaming their anxiety on eating a chocolate bar or something sweet when in all reality the chocolate bar had absolutely no impact on their condition, but the rumination after most certainly did. I find diet makes little to no difference on me anyway, there are weeks upon weeks when I've ate exceptionally healthy and felt ridiculously anxious and depressed but paradoxically there are days when I've ate nothing but rubbish and felt on cloud nine!
May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.
March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.
23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg
23rd July 2016 40.5 mg of Sertraline
23rd August 36.45 mg of Sertraline
27th September 34.65 mg
24th October 32.90 mg
28th November 31.26 mg
4th January 32mg
25th Feb 31 mg 22nd March 30mg 14th April 29mg

#408 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

Well as far as my symptoms today they have been really bad extreme pressure numbness and physical pain in my brain, extreme confusion, DP/DR, intrusive thoughts, fatigue are all my major symptoms and today it seems they are worse than even the last few days and on days like today I feel like I'm losing my mind emotionally and the fatigue pressure and pain in my head is so bad all I want to do is lay down and sleep.

As far as the Zoloft I just don't know what it's adding to my misery and it's hard to keep taking a drug after what I've been through especially if it's making these symptoms worse.

If I change to the more accurate way of measuring and just do a syringe and a half to make it 85mg from 87.5mg now to set a more accurate taper as I go down the road would that be ok?

#409 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

All we can do is offer suggestions which is based on our own experiences and knowledge.  Even with experience and knowledge we can't predict what will happen.  Nobody is able to do this.

Many members here face the same difficulty you have of not knowing what to do.  But it is up to you to make the decision about when you reduce your dose of Zoloft.

We, both mods and members, are not going to tell you what to do.

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 25mg (from 21 April 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

#410 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Well days like today make me want to give up and quit the symptoms are so bad and it makes me feel the idea of healing or ever having my life back is just not gonna happen.

So I don't know what to do? And the emotional symptoms with the head pressure confusion and fatigue has been more than I can bare today so I'm stuck

#411 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

You've managed to get this far when, several months ago, you didn't think you could.

We all get frustrated and feel hopeless.  All we can do is take one day at a time.

Tapering history & graph

#412 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

Forgive me but everyone keeps telling me it gets better and I will heal but after almost a year with this and 6 months off xanex and still no sign of relief or even improvement I'm losing hope.

My symptoms have been so severe today to the point it's got me in the floor crying in complete torture and agony and I just don't know how much more I can take?

I know I'm still dealing with and don't know what to do with the Zoloft but I've been off benzodiazepines now 6 months and the head pressure burning numbness and physical symptoms are classic benzo WD and the emotional symptoms and fatigue DP/DR could be either but this is crazy and I'm trying really hard with working and everything else trying to keep hope alive but it's fading fast.

#413 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

We figured my current dose at 87.5mg the way I'm measuring now but if I switch to the more accurate way of measuring and just WD 1 1/2 10ml syringes to make it 85mg to set up a more accurate taper down the road will that really hurt anything at this point?

#414 mammaP

mammaP

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,079 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:15 AM

That should be fine Maize, it is a very small cut. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

See how to create a signature here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Many drugs for many years, prescribed diazepam first 1973, took occasionally. 3 or 4 tricyclics  for short periods.

1993 had a breakdown leading to 10 years of drug experiments with all classes of psych drugs.

2002  effexor. 

Tapered by counting beads from March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Also tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg -hold- Feb2016 46mg  March 8 2016 45 April 44mg  May 11  43mg June 14 42mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, pro biotic.

My story http://survivinganti...king-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Following every sunset is a brand new day

#415 maizeNblue81

maizeNblue81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:57 AM

Ok and I may have to finish the other half of these antibiotics because this infection want go away and it's down into my chest.

My symptoms are still so bad and this morning the head pressure and emotional symptoms are off the charts but I don't know what else to do?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sertraline, Zoloft, alpazolam, Xanax