blackhill4: Finally back :) withdrawal continues after 3 years 1 month

blackhill4

I have a few symptoms I want to mention. I get numbness on the left side of my head, it goes down my nose too. The reason I get concerned is because it was something I suffered from on the paxil this time, I get worried about things being permanent. Numbness in my face and lips, made it hard to talk yesterday. I feel like my heart is pounding in my head, like I'm not getting enough blood going somewhere. Feeling faint and fixate on things too long, looking in the mirror I look unreal and look crazed. Sometimes things look like they are split in half, like I can only see part of it( but my eyes see all of said object). This also causes me horrific mental problems like the thoughts and sometimes things I hear repeat in my head (effects like this). Gotta say feels like brain damage to me. :(

Paxil 2007-2012, somnolence for a few months so quit, anxiety gets severe again, put on citalopram (horrible reaction). Used august 2013-September 2013, quit and doctor reinstates paxil (reaction again ) on from sep to dec. Quit cold turkey and suffer problems to this day

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blackhill4

• Fresh

• westcoast

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

It does feel like brain damage , but it isn't.    You brain is in the throes of a crazy shake-up.

Do you find that it comes in waves ?     Like it comes , and you feel crazy , then it goes away for a while , then comes back a while later?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yes fresh it does, I have had good days in between recently when my symptoms started spiking in November. Before then I had no good days, my symptoms just stayed level ( not horrible or good). But I don't have many good days, that's for sure.

Paxil 2007-2012, somnolence for a few months so quit, anxiety gets severe again, put on citalopram (horrible reaction). Used august 2013-September 2013, quit and doctor reinstates paxil (reaction again ) on from sep to dec. Quit cold turkey and suffer problems to this day

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand Blackhill.     Read the Windows and Waves thread in Symptoms and Self-Care , it will help to make sense of what's happening to you.   

If you've gone from  "no good days"  to "some good days" , then overall there's been an improvement.   That's heartening.

Be patient with yourself , it's going to take a while.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I get scared thinking this isn't withdrawal when I haven't seemed to have a normal waves and windows going on. And I think feb may be getting worse again :(.

I think this is a hard month for those in cold weather, even if they aren't dealing with WD from meds! I know I always feel better when the weather is nice and I can get out of the house. Hang in there blackhill, this too shall pass...☺️

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

I realise agitation is the wrong word now, because agitation is where you cannot sit still right? I can sit still but my effects are I am suddenly going to destroy anything in my way or around me. This comes with powerful urges and has been my ultimate horror, this happens if I eat too much, get too warm, don't eat enough and so on. But it is always there to a degree and it tortures me day to night EVERY DAY. After a while I am starting to break down slowly, I haven't been eating (I can sleep though) and I feel this thing will finally beat me after so long. I do find myself rocking my leg constantly and I jitter a lot so maybe akistithia  can do all this? But I don't feel I have to walk at all, some days I don't. Can I still have akistithia? One good day of relief would be nice but they are very far apart and only half an hour of relief? That isn't enough for me to regain any strength. At least I know this will last for years haha...

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes , you could have akathisia.     In the same way that the term withdrawal covers a range of symptoms , so does the term akathisia.

It can include inner restlessness , needing to move , feelings of low-grade electrical current running through parts of your body , a sense of despair , preoccupation with thoughts of death and dying , having the urge to jump out of a moving car.  It's a fluctuating condition , so sensations will come and go , and vary in intensity.

Monitor the periods of relief.    You'll be able to see if they are increasing in frequency and length , or if they're becoming more frequent.

Not everyone has the classic pattern of windows and waves , but I know when I was very sick any relief , for however short , was a window in my eyes.

I am concerned that you're having powerful urges to rage / destroy things.    Do you have a plan for how to deal with it when these urges come?

Blackhill , this won't last for years.   Let's just work with one day/week at a time.     You will get through it , but it's going to take some time.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I get scared thinking this isn't withdrawal when I haven't seemed to have a normal waves and windows going on. And I think feb may be getting worse again :(.

This all sounds like withdrawal. There is no "normal" as far as waves and windows, they vary from case to case. For example, I am going through a wave right now and it has lasted for three months so far. It sucks and it seems like it will last forever. Symptoms evolve within the wave, so the body is dealing with all the instability as best as it can and in the order that it must. It will deal with it on its own timetable, not faster as I would like it to. All I can do is wait it out. Parts of my life are on hold for now until I get out of this wave. Within the wave, some things have improved and some things seem worse at times.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Thanks you two. I am having severe mood swings and post when I feel horrible. (I'm pretty average right now) With my urge to destroy things there is no rage behind it, I believe it is related to the akathisia because you mentioned the jumping out of a car thing and I've thought about doing that. It's the same with the thoughts to destroy objects it's impulsive but I never act on them, however it can get frightening when my akathisia gets worse. Oh by the way I am not working now because I don't think I can right now (someone asked if I was working but I don't remember who).

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had that blackhill , you describe it so well:   " With my urge to destroy things there's no rage behind it."

When I went into hospital last year , the first thing they gave me was Effexor , and it made me violent.   I was picking up a chair (which was the only thing in the room that I could move)    and slamming it down into the ground over and over , until my wrist hurt too much.    I wasn't feeling angry , but was getting a curious pleasure from doing it.     Later I lunged towards the meals lady and slammed her trolley into the wall as hard as I could.

After that , they stopped the Effexor . . . lol.     I have never had that type of violent urge before , or since.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

It seems my emotional distressed state wont settle until I take a walk, I forgot to mention I have on and off insomnia too right now.

• Administrator

Walking is good, if it works, walk!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Feeling better today when yesterday was a nightmare. I wanted to mention something I have experienced in wd on a lighter note. I had an emotional numbness for the first year but I also got this strange nice feeling at times, it made me like things I normally do not care for. It wasn't bad or alarming in any way just bizarre, I don't usually watch a lot of tv but I was watching it constantly during the first year and was loving it. That feeling during this wave has began to disappear, replaced by anxiety and many horrible emotions and I am losing interest in tv again lol. So I think it's part of recovering but in a way that feeling was nice, not all parts of wd are terrible, it has some upsides. I believe I will be a much stronger person after all this and I have accomplished things I may never have done in a normal state. It's certainly a life changing event and I will be doing things much differently after I recover. Just some thoughts since I feel somewhat better today.

Blackhill I just read your posts for the first time and I relate so

much to your story. I am almost fifteen months off Cymbalta.

It has been a horrible 15 months, but. I thought I was seeing

very gradual improvement, with some windows, until a month

ago. I hit a most severe wave or setback and it has been almost

unbearable since then. The akathisia and agitation are relentless.

The feeling of going crazy is one of the worst things for me too.

I'm sorry you are suffering too, but knowing someone else's journey

is following a similar pattern relieves my worries a little bit. I hope

the wave passes soon for you

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

Thanks lundeliz, I think I will follow your topic.

Today is a very, very bad day. I feel horrible, didn't sleep well and emotional/crazy feeling is really bad right now.

I think this may be too much for me, what should I do? Should I go to the hospital? Please help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Blackhill ,    what do you usually do when the panic is this bad?     It did pass all the other times , right?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Have you taken a walk today? A few days ago you had a bad day and then it looks like the next day was better.

When things were bad for me-- I would pick a spot in tome to hang on to. I always thought to myself, "if I can make it to 3 pm, I can make it through the day." Somevtimes I had to hang on through the rest of the day but I just kept picking a time to look towards.

Do you enjoy movies? Light hearted, funny or hopeful. TV doesn't help much now, would a movie work?

40 mg Paxil for 2.5 years

Quit cold turkey March 2006

WIthdrawal painful but gradually felt better after a year or so.

Now, ten years out, life has its problems because life is life But I am so happy and grateful for my life.

Hi Blackhill. A hospital might be in order here. I would just not want to see you treated with antidepressants or antipsychotics. The staff will probably think you are in the manic phase of bipolar illness, if they don't know your history. This can be a problem. They might tell you you simply have to take Abilify, for example, and that pill is a nasty bugger in my experience (akathisia). My heart goes out to you. I have been through what you describe, even the fun-watching-TV phase. If you do go to hospital, take an advocate who can insist that you be treated as a Paxil withdrawal patient, not bipolar or any of that baloney.

Some people get a little useful sedation from Benadryl, but I think others feel worse when they try it. 

Keep us posted.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

I walked but it didn't help and it's not just panic I am dealing with, it's other horrible emotions and I think that it is getting worse, this is just about impossible now... I am afraid they will give me something and I will get worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

Blackhill , the most important thing is that you are safe.  

If you're thinking about harming yourself , if you have a plan , and are scared you might do it , then please go to hospital.   

Better yet , have community crisis services come to you so they can organize the admission , and you won't be waiting around ER and

have to explain over and over. 

You will have people around you there.  

That's my view.

Fresh

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Can a wave really get this severe? It seems I feel a little better now but this has been very hard. I am starting to believe I just started withdrawing in November, or this is recovery from an adverse reaction instead. Is there a difference between the recovery symptoms of the two?

I know how tough this can be I had a crash last month. Is visiting a psychologist that is knowledgeable in withdrawal a possibility? I went to the website Mad in America and there was a psychologist in Canada of the name Brad Hagen. http://www.madinamerica.com/service-directory/

Also here is a link of you may find helpful of withdrawal http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/392-one-theory-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

If there is possibility for you to not be alone and try to stay calm.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

Just wondering how you are doing now blackhill. I really hope you

are feeling a little better.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

Sorry I didn't reply. I am ok right now (sort of) but today was the same old nightmare, the thoughts come on all the time but I am trying to deal with it.

Anyone else get hives (only on the legs) and have a red chest?

I keep forgetting to mention these two symptoms. I get a weird tension in my arms and it makes me want to squeeze down on something really hard. Also I sometimes constantly fidget and rub my hands.

• Moderator Emeritus

Anyone else get hives (only on the legs) and have a red chest?

I've had a rash on my chest and stomach and it seems others have had hives on the legs, see this topic:

Mysterious hives

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks petunia, I think my blood pressure may be a little high (red chest). And the hives which look like bursted blood vessels are not as bad with my new diet. Maybe related to food sensitivities?

• Moderator Emeritus

It's possible blackhill.     There's a thread in Symptoms and Self Care on food sensitivity , might be worth checking it out.

:huh:

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I would see a doctor about the rash and the hives. Rashes can be signs of things being quite wrong.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

The hives are almost gone now that I have started to eat healthy, so I think that they were caused by food sensitivity. And I don't have a rash my chest is flushed looking (just red colored, no sores or itching).

I think I may have what may be called excitability, is this what jumping out of your skin is supposed to be?

So is this supposed to just get worse and worse? It seems to be and I get no relief. :(