SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Loss of appetite, or how to stimulate appetite

Happy2Heal

• Mentor

one symptom of WD that I haven't minded TOO much is that I've lost my appetite, and have, therefore, also lost a considerable amount of weight

I was (and still am) overweight, and am now getting closer to a normal weight for me.

at first this was distressing to me, as it's felt like just one more big change that I wasn't quite prepared for. I learned that my excess wt felt like a protection of a sort and I feel somewhat "naked" without it. Weird, eh?

my WD symptoms have decreased dramatically but two things remain that trouble me, my insomnia and my lack of appetite is now feeling like a problem.

I have to force myself to eat and nothing really appeals to me.

I recently saw the drs and had blood work done and my billirubin is coming up slightly elevated, as it was back in May.

Dr does not have any explanation but it's not a concern at this time, just something they are watching.

However I did see that it might be caused by fasting, and although I do manage to eat something every day, I wonder if the small amnt that I eat, coupled with the excess calories that I am sure I am burning off due to anxiety and possibly also lack of sleep ( I am awake from 4 am on, and sleep about 4 to 5 broken hours at night, on a GOOD night)

does anyone have any tips or tricks to help stimulate one's appetite?

I do find I can eat better when I am around other people but because of my personal circumstances, it does not happen very often that I can be around other people and healthy food at the same time.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

How much do you weigh? Perhaps a therapist could help?

2010: Nardil for depression and social anxiety. Psychotic reaction

2010-2013 reinstated Nardil several times, went psychotic at the end each time.

2013-today Seroquel(Quetiapin) average 700mg, Zyprexa(Olanzapin) average 17,5mg and low dose (75mg) Venlafaxine

2016-Trazodone 75mg since early June 2016

Currently: 

drug, morning dose - noon dose - evening dose - nighttime dose: 

Seroquel XR 300-0-0-0

Seroquel      0-0-0-650
Zyprexa      2.5-0-5-15
Trazodone    75-0-0-0
Venlafaxine  0-0-0-37,5
Metformin    500-0-500-1000

• Mentor

How much do you weigh? Perhaps a therapist could help?

I'm not sure what my weight was in Sept. exactly, I've weighed about 170lbs (or more) for a very long time now but had gradually gotten down to more like 165-167

I weigh about 143 now.

I guess that's not a huge drop in wt but I am a short woman so it really seems to show up.... :/

None of my clothes fit and I feel kind of naked LOL

I carried around this extra weight for decades.

what I weigh now is the lowest I've been since I was 35 yrs old- I am over 60 now

so I guess I probably should have been more concerned when I was heavy LOL

some days you just can't please me!

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've lost considerable weight since I started tapering a year and a half ago, weight I really couldn't afford to lose (jeans about to fall off).  

I've eliminated gluten, which I'm pretty sure was triggering anxiety, so there's a whole class of fattening--and delicious-- foods (bread, pasta) I can't have.  Also no sugar (anxiety again) or dairy (I've always been somewhat intolerant). I eat meat and vegetables, no processed foods, as organic as I can get it.  It's a healthy diet and that agrees with my GI system -- but not one likely to put on the pounds.  

I found interesting what you said about anxiety and insomnia (which are my main WD symptoms) burning calories.  Make sense.  Thanks for the insight. 

As far as suggestions, what my colon doctor suggested was several small meals rather than the traditional Big 3.  

Good luck, H2H, and much healing.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Gridley said:

I've lost considerable weight since I started tapering a year and a half ago, weight I really couldn't afford to lose (jeans about to fall off).  

I've eliminated gluten, which I'm pretty sure was triggering anxiety, so there's a whole class of fattening--and delicious-- foods (bread, pasta) I can't have.  Also no sugar (anxiety again) or dairy (I've always been somewhat intolerant). I eat meat and vegetables, no processed foods, as organic as I can get it.  It's a healthy diet and that agrees with my GI system -- but not one likely to put on the pounds.  

I found interesting what you said about anxiety and insomnia (which are my main WD symptoms) burning calories.  Make sense.  Thanks for the insight. 

As far as suggestions, what my colon doctor suggested was several small meals rather than the traditional Big 3.  

Good luck, H2H, and much healing.

I am now down to 133lbs, having just lost 7lbs in less than a week

I've had no appetite at all so I am forcing myself to eat small things here and there.

I have even eaten highly fattening foods like potato chips and candy (the candy was a mistake, it made me jittery)
The salt in the potato chips made my legs swell......

I also discovered that I'm exercising too much!! for the amount of food that I eat, anyway, according to this website someone linked me to: https://cronometer.com/

it calculates the calories, nutrients and other elements of the foods you eat, and also figures out by your wt and such, how many calories you need to maintain your wt

I am eating too little and exercising too much, according to that site.

I'm lucky I don't have a problem with gluten, because I"m making pasta for dinner, I hope that helps!

I hope you can find something that works for you too, Gridley.

are you feeling weak? I seem to have lost a lot of muscle, not just fat :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, H2H, I feel pretty weak a lot of the time.   I'm definitely not exercising too much--too much gets my cortisol going.  So just a gentle walk suffices.

I wonder, if there any special food that you really love?  I've found that if something is really good, I am able to approach eating with a little more enthusiasm.

I cooked up a special Italian meat sauce and ate it on gluten free bread and enjoyed it.

I hope you enjoy your pasta tonight. With a good sauce maybe?   Some really healthy fats are (in my opinion), avocado, coconut butter, eggs and nuts and nut better.  Maybe bread with cashew or peanut butter or almond butter? Get the health food store nut butter with no sugar.  Just some thoughts.  Our problem with weight loss is the opposite of most people's problem.  

Ah well, we'll make it through.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 years later...

Total lack of appetite and tight stomach. Please help!!!

I have few question about this syntmom.

First I wanted to state that I never had this pre-escitalopram. 

It's more than 8 weeks that I have no any desire of drinking and eating, I am in a very bad wave. I never feel hungry however my stomach growls sometimes but I don't have the desire to eat any food.

I have to force myself every single day. I try to remember what I was eating before and mimic it now, I lost already 3 kg. But if i lose 5kg more i will be underweight.

It's a very challenging syntmom for me and what it's scary too is that there is not a single second of improvement.

Doctor gave me 2 medicines for nausea in June, I had tried them with zero hope and as expected zero effect,i trashed them. Maybe they were even bad for wd.

Do you have any tip for me to survive?

Are there other people that had this for several months too?

Is there a hope it can get better?

I am eating a low carb diet, do you think i should change it to something else to try to not lose kg?

I am also doing mild exercise (when i can) do you think i should quit it?

Many thanks, it's very challenging for me :( I cannot mention this to anyone or they will think i have some eating disorder (which i never ever had)

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

06/2012 - 02/2015 CIPRALEX 10 mg (for somatic abdominal pain + reflux) - prior to this NOT any significant episode of anxiety/depression

on medication: emotional-sexual numbness, total inability to cry, +8 kg, fatigue -> abdominal pain gone

02/2015 - 1/04/2015 tapering from 10 mg to 0 mg doctor advised

05/05/2015 huge anxiety, burning skin sensation, panic, fear, not able to cry again, never-had-before insomnia, totally lost appetite, little loss of vision in one eye, sweating, chest pain, short breath, restlessness, accelerated heartbeat, mild akathisia legs-feet

30/05/2015 reinstated 8mg (I was suggested 5 mg here)

middle 07/2015 general improving

10/2015 start disastrous too long taper 7mg  11/2015 6mg  12/2015 5mg 1/2016 4mg  2/2016 4mg  3/2016 3mg ->FAIL back to 4mg .... 8/2016 3mg 8/2017 2mg  (short wave in summer '17) 8/2018 2mg stable  8/2019 1mg  1/2020 0.6 mg 

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

7/2020 - 10/2020 MILD WAVE(mostly anxiety, poor sleep)

6/2021 - 9/2021 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, deep depression, internal restlessness, anhedonia)  0.125g triazolam  2 times

18/03/2022 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, PAIN in muscles and nerves, arms and right leg,cannot exercise,hard to walk) 0.125g triazolam 3 times

7/5 rein 0.1mg

Dealt with the same…you just need to eat what you need to keep going make sure you choose the right foods. I’ve lost 10kg in approx 6 weeks but I won’t die snd the weight loss will slow as your body adjusts.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

@Tom37thanks. I feel less alone.

Also apart from these q

6 hours ago, Marta said:

Do you have any tip for me to survive?

Is there a hope it can get better?

I am eating a low carb diet, do you think i should change it to something else to try to not lose kg?

I am also doing mild exercise (when i can) do you think i should quit it?

I have another one.

Do you think its ok to drink some protein shakes (my boyfriend has them at home for the gym) from time to time? They are easier to swallow for me.

06/2012 - 02/2015 CIPRALEX 10 mg (for somatic abdominal pain + reflux) - prior to this NOT any significant episode of anxiety/depression

on medication: emotional-sexual numbness, total inability to cry, +8 kg, fatigue -> abdominal pain gone

05/05/2015 huge anxiety, burning skin sensation, panic, fear, not able to cry again, never-had-before insomnia, totally lost appetite, little loss of vision in one eye, sweating, chest pain, short breath, restlessness, accelerated heartbeat, mild akathisia legs-feet

10/2015 start disastrous too long taper 7mg  11/2015 6mg  12/2015 5mg 1/2016 4mg  2/2016 4mg  3/2016 3mg ->FAIL back to 4mg .... 8/2016 3mg 8/2017 2mg  (short wave in summer '17) 8/2018 2mg stable  8/2019 1mg  1/2020 0.6 mg 

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

6/2021 - 9/2021 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, deep depression, internal restlessness, anhedonia)  0.125g triazolam  2 times

18/03/2022 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, PAIN in muscles and nerves, arms and right leg,cannot exercise,hard to walk) 0.125g triazolam 3 times

7/5 rein 0.1mg

@Marta

Hello Marta,

I too have exactly what you are mentioning along with other stomach problems since withdrawals started. Has been one of my major symptoms. I believe it is common in withdrawal. So you are definitely not alone and the symptoms do get better. I don’t want to take any pills anymore so I used peppermint to try and calm my stomach down to hopefully get an appetite. Also ginger helped. These remedies unfortunately only took the edge off and didn’t always work but it’s something. For me it was easier to drink than eat. I would and still do drink protein shakes or make my own smoothies at home with fruit. And I would drink plenty of water. But unfortunately I haven’t been able to find anything to stop the symptoms. I do exactly what Tom37 recommended. I try and eat healthy and enough to keep going. I never thought it would get better but it does. It will get better for you also. I know this wasn’t much help but at least you know you’re not alone. I hope you get relief from this symptom soon. One last thing. I know for me I would stress about how many days I wouldn’t eat for. The stress only added to my stomach problems. It’s not comfortable at all but humans can go a while without eating. The symptoms will lessen and you will be eating more. I really hoped this helped and if you have any questions I’m here. 

1993 - 2003 (Prozac 40mg)

2003 – 2/1/17 (Paxil 40mg)

4/10/18 – Present (Paxil 50mg)

1993 - Present (Klonopin 2mg) 

1996 - Present (Levothyroxine 100mcg)

2/1/17 - Quit (Paxil 40mg) Cold Turkey

2/1/17 – 10/1/17 (No Paxil) Acute withdrawal

10/1/17 – Reinstated (Paxil 40mg)

4/10/18 – Up dosed to (Paxil 50mg) 

4/10/18 - To present. Still in protracted withdrawals 

Supplements - Multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d3, Magnesium 

@Anthony75 many thanks for your long answer and tips. It's a very creepy symthom for me as even in my saddest days pre med I did not feel like eating for one/two day maximum, while here weeks become months. Anyway now I started to weight myself more often to monitor how I am doing. I really hope it will be better. 

The taste for example improved, in the beginning everything was tasting the same...

Again thank you ❤️

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

7/5 rein 0.1mg

@Marta

Happy to hear your taste is improving. It will keep getting better and as soon as you know it you will be complaining that you gained too much weight. It will definitely get better. Take care & if you ever have any questions just ask.

1993 - 2003 (Prozac 40mg)

2003 – 2/1/17 (Paxil 40mg)

4/10/18 – Present (Paxil 50mg)

1993 - Present (Klonopin 2mg) 

1996 - Present (Levothyroxine 100mcg)

2/1/17 - Quit (Paxil 40mg) Cold Turkey

2/1/17 – 10/1/17 (No Paxil) Acute withdrawal

10/1/17 – Reinstated (Paxil 40mg)

4/10/18 – Up dosed to (Paxil 50mg) 

4/10/18 - To present. Still in protracted withdrawals 

Supplements - Multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d3, Magnesium 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Loss of appetite, or how to stimulate appetite
  • 1 month later...

My body does not want to eat. I force food down. I don't know if it is nausea. Its just hard. can only force down so much.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

I’m the same I’ve lost a lot a weight I have been drinking meal replacement shakes yfood chocolate, soup and grazing through the day. At one point I was only eating the shakes but has improved. 

Escitalopram 10 years- October 17th 2021. 
for PMDD. 
Cold turkey 20mg as of 17 th October 

I'm drinking protein shakes too, sadly with water as I don't tolerate milk now very well, we do what we must to fight another day :)

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

• 1 month later...

Just update from August last year. Highs and lows. I think it follows the pattern of windows waves (after all I am not even 2yrs drug free after almost a decade so what else could i expect). I try to enjoy the good periods and force the food in the bad periods. In bad periods I try to eat while doing something else trying to forget that i am eating.

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

7/5 rein 0.1mg

• 2 months later...

Going through this right now. Trying to taper celexa, No appetite. Just a small hint of hunger when there is a window but it's been around 10 days of little hunger. My stomach growls and feels empty and I can tell my body wants food but there is no feeling of hunger. 

I feel my anxiety rise when I don't eat also. Anyone experienced this?

- Late 2011/Early 2012? - Started celexa 10mg.

- Sometime in 2012? - Due to doctors advice, jumped to 20mg. Not sure when but doctor suggested 40mg. Tried it for a bit, did not like it, felt flat and had low libido so doctor told me to go down to 30mg.

- Started skipping 1 day or 2 days sometimes due to forgetting and hated being on drugs, felt it was a hassle. It became routine to skip one day and only take it when I felt withdrawal symptoms kick in like dizziness. Always took one 20mg pill and broke the second pill in half.

- May 17 2022, finally talked to my doctor about tapering. Suggested I take 10 mg everyday. Tried taking only 10mg, started getting dizzy, took another half tablet, got horrible anxiety that night. Got scared, had to stop and reinstate back to 30mg that night.

- May 18 2022 discovered and joined survivingantidepressants.org (woozy head and impaired balance lasted 1 week)

- May 19 2022, began trying a reduction, (still skipping a day). Though had no scale so was inaccurately cutting my pills. No idea what dose I was taking, 25-27mg?

- May 25 2022, bought a mg scale and started to better measure my dose. Tried 10% reduction, 27mg. (still skipping a day)

- Ending of May was when I started having horrible anxiety

- June 1 2022, finally started 13.5mg dose 8:15am, and began taking my dose everyday now

- went to 13.7mg after a few weeks and still on it currently. Still taking my dose everyday. went up to 14 on 11/6

@Wanttofreemyself

If your blood sugar gets too low it could exacerbate anxiety, irritability, and other emotional symptoms. 

I hear you about not having an appetite. What happens if you eat a little bit anyway, despite not feeling hungry?

Have you tried healthy homemade smoothies, soups, purées? Sometimes those are easier to ingest when we have little appetite. 

16 minutes ago, Wanttofreemyself said:

My stomach growls and feels empty and I can tell my body wants food but there is no feeling of hunger. 

This is a really good sign. Try to eat what you can, when you can, even if there is no feeling of hunger *as you know it*. For the time being your body's hunger cues are just a little different but they are still there, as you describe you do register that your body wants food. Go with that. 

If you're able, go with healthy proteins (our bodies need a lot of complete proteins to rebuild!), healthy fats, dark leafy greens. Whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense food.

Try to let go of expectations around what's "normal" or "how it used to be" and listen to what your body is communicating in the here and now. The signals may be unusual compared to how it was before WD but you are still receiving messages, and that's encouraging. Similarly, let go of any idea of having to eat a "square meal" or "normal meal" like it was before. Experiment with what and how you're able to eat now, explore that and see what works for you. 

I know this can be tricky. Eating, food, digestion can be challenging for a lot of us in WD -- certainly I go through my own struggles on this front, too.

Just fiddle around with it and keep listening to your body. It's trial and error, learning by doing.

Keep us posted on your discoveries along the way!

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Thank you for the reply, and thank you for the advice and encouraging words. I will definitely keep everyone updated.

1 hour ago, Ariel said:

I hear you about not having an appetite. What happens if you eat a little bit anyway, despite not feeling hungry?

Its a weird thing, ever since withdrawal I do feel anxiety when haven't eaten and my stomach feels weird and growling but sometimes I feel anxiety when I'm eating so I have do idea what is causing it and when sometimes I force myself to eat I feel nauseous and want to stop.

I'm kind of scared to eat certain foods now because i don't know which ones are setting me off. Is it high sugar? high sodium? I'm trying to find out.

1 hour ago, Ariel said:

If you're able, go with healthy proteins (our bodies need a lot of complete proteins to rebuild!), healthy fats, dark leafy greens. Whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense food.

Yes I'll try to eat more protein. My diet actually does have a decent amount protein but as for dark leafy greens, I have to watch out which vegetables I eat because I'm on the kidney stone diet unfortunately.

- Sometime in 2012? - Due to doctors advice, jumped to 20mg. Not sure when but doctor suggested 40mg. Tried it for a bit, did not like it, felt flat and had low libido so doctor told me to go down to 30mg.

- Started skipping 1 day or 2 days sometimes due to forgetting and hated being on drugs, felt it was a hassle. It became routine to skip one day and only take it when I felt withdrawal symptoms kick in like dizziness. Always took one 20mg pill and broke the second pill in half.

- May 17 2022, finally talked to my doctor about tapering. Suggested I take 10 mg everyday. Tried taking only 10mg, started getting dizzy, took another half tablet, got horrible anxiety that night. Got scared, had to stop and reinstate back to 30mg that night.

- May 18 2022 discovered and joined survivingantidepressants.org (woozy head and impaired balance lasted 1 week)

- May 19 2022, began trying a reduction, (still skipping a day). Though had no scale so was inaccurately cutting my pills. No idea what dose I was taking, 25-27mg?

- May 25 2022, bought a mg scale and started to better measure my dose. Tried 10% reduction, 27mg. (still skipping a day)

- June 1 2022, finally started 13.5mg dose 8:15am, and began taking my dose everyday now

- went to 13.7mg after a few weeks and still on it currently. Still taking my dose everyday. went up to 14 on 11/6

• 2 months later...

Hi @Wanttofreemyself,

I'm suffering from the same, no appetite and feel very anxious when this happens. 

Wonder how you have been doing since your last post? Is your appetite any better?

2017 - 2018 Lexapro (CT, no withdrawals)  2018 - 2019 Zoloft (CT, no withdrawals)

2/15/21 - paxil 20mg

5/1/22 - started fast tapter,  10mg 3 weeks, 5mg 3 weeks, 0mg 2 days.   7/1/22 - start of withdrawals, dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, shaky. Reinstated 10mg

8/1/22 - 9mg - anxiety, panic attacks, sleep disorders (4-6 hours)  9/1/22 - 8mg - anxiety, panic attacks are gone. Sleep back to normal. Still struggling with appetite. Sporadic abdominal cramps  10/10/22 - 7.2 mg   11/10/22 - 6.6 mg - Tinnitus started after 2 weeks. Nausea is gone and appetite is slowly returning. 

12/12/22 - 6 mg  1/11/23- 5.4 mg  1/13/23- 6 mg (up dosed) nausea is back in full force 5/9/23 - changed to home made liquid (dissolves 20mg in 20ml) - 5.9ml

supplements: magnesium 300mg, taurine 2g, fish oil, vitamin E, probiotics, bioactive milk peptides,  L-theanine

@CloudyToday Thankfully my appetite came back. Trust me it will come back but its going to suck for awhile. I lost 10 pounds in a few days from not eating and I would get anxiety from eating also. It was terrible

But now I get some gut issues like growling and squeezing feeling. I noticed I get anxiety if I dont eat for awhile also.

What about you, whats your history?

@Wanttofreemyself, thanks for sharing. Glad to hear that your appetite came back.

I lost 10 pounds in a few days from not eating and I would get anxiety from eating also. It was terrible

I such a short period of time I would attribute this to lack of fluids.

I'm ~1.5 years on Paxil, started 20 mg. 2 months ago I tapered fast to 0 mg. After 2 days I got hit by nausea and anxiety. I reinstated to 10 mg.

Last week My appetite came back too all of a sudden, but now my main issue is sleep problems. I'm getting ~5-6 hours per night. Quality is not great.

Can't take naps. 

I'll try Epsom salt baths in a hope to get better sleep. 

2017 - 2018 Lexapro (CT, no withdrawals)  2018 - 2019 Zoloft (CT, no withdrawals)

2/15/21 - paxil 20mg

5/1/22 - started fast tapter,  10mg 3 weeks, 5mg 3 weeks, 0mg 2 days.   7/1/22 - start of withdrawals, dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, shaky. Reinstated 10mg

8/1/22 - 9mg - anxiety, panic attacks, sleep disorders (4-6 hours)  9/1/22 - 8mg - anxiety, panic attacks are gone. Sleep back to normal. Still struggling with appetite. Sporadic abdominal cramps  10/10/22 - 7.2 mg   11/10/22 - 6.6 mg - Tinnitus started after 2 weeks. Nausea is gone and appetite is slowly returning. 

12/12/22 - 6 mg  1/11/23- 5.4 mg  1/13/23- 6 mg (up dosed) nausea is back in full force 5/9/23 - changed to home made liquid (dissolves 20mg in 20ml) - 5.9ml

supplements: magnesium 300mg, taurine 2g, fish oil, vitamin E, probiotics, bioactive milk peptides,  L-theanine

@CloudyToday

Im glad your appetite came back also.

yeah my sleep is not great too but if I could fall sleep without too much trouble then i consider that a win.  Do you wake up a few times during the night? its been happening to me in this withdrawal situation but Ive been able to fall asleep pretty quick after thankfully

Hey @Wanttofreemyself

I do wake up at night and then really struggling to fall asleep again. 6 hours of bad sleep which brings more anxiety through the rest of the day.

2/15/21 - paxil 20mg

Yes same thing with me. When I don't get enough sleep my anxiety is higher, mood is lower, more ocd @CloudyToday

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy