SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

anongrl5590: Withdrawing from Prozac

anongrl5590

• Moderator Emeritus

That's good thinking anon, slow and steady will get you there much better than second-guessing or reacting to each new issue with a dose-change. 

Keep it simple; Keep it slow; Keep it Stable

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

That's good thinking anon, slow and steady will get you there much better than second-guessing or reacting to each new issue with a dose-change. 

Keep it simple; Keep it slow; Keep it Stable

Yeah I'm gonna see how this goes... I hope I don't reach tolerance or have an adverse reaction.

I feel like I may be one of the worst out there with so many physical and mental symptoms... I just want to at least have 50% of those symptoms to go away right now... Hopefully 100% if I can stabilize.

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

BTW I did get a prescription of liquid Prozac. Haven't used it yet because I already did my own solution from a capsule. But if I decide to switch to the liquid form from my capsule solution, is that ok? Will this affect anything?

My medication -- Prozac
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)

• Moderator Emeritus

It is usually suggested that if you are changing from one form of the drug to another to do a gradual switch over, eg a few days on each of the following:  3/4 current + 1/4 new, 1/2 current + 1/2 new, and 1/4 current + 3/4 new.  If it is too difficult measuring because of your low dose, you might be able to do a 1/2 + 1/2 switch over 1 week.  If it was me, I would be trying to do it the first way.  However, it is important to keep your total dose accurate.

Also when making a change in the form of the drug do not do it at the same time as a taper drop.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Anongrl, 

Feel free to read my thread. I was exactly where you were and have/had a lot of the same physical symptoms as you so you are not alone. Muscle pain, fatigue, burning skin, blurry vision. I'm 11 months med free and yes I still have those symptoms but they aren't as bad as they were a few months ago. It does start to get better! I promise you! Hang in there!  :)

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

It is usually suggested that if you are changing from one form of the drug to another to do a gradual switch over, eg a few days on each of the following: 3/4 current + 1/4 new, 1/2 current + 1/2 new, and 1/4 current + 3/4 new. If it is too difficult measuring because of your low dose, you might be able to do a 1/2 + 1/2 switch over 1 week. If it was me, I would be trying to do it the first way. However, it is important to keep your total dose accurate.

Also when making a change in the form of the drug do not do it at the same time as a taper drop.

Thanks Chessie for the info. It's now 6 days into reinstating. I feel like my body is getting woozy, eye pressure is back, and my head is buzzing. Also my head was bobbing forward and backward. This happened 15 min after I took my 1mg dose...

How will I know if the reinstatement is working? I'm still going to feel the WD effects from the CT right? So how will I know that I'm affected by the CT or the reinstatement?

Also, if the reinstatement results in an adverse reaction or doesn't work well, do I completely stop the drug or would I need to taper down slowly still, even though I am may be doing worse?

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their thoughts on this.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Hi, anongrl.

Have you started the bottle of Prozac liquid yet?

Do you take the Prozac in the morning? Sounds like maybe you might take it later, if it makes you woozy. To move the dose, take it an hour or so later each day until you're taking it in the evening.

It does sound like even 1mg has helped take the edge of your withdrawal syndrome. If I were you, I'd stick with it. Better sleep is indeed a good sign.

Natural Calm is good magnesium but if you take too much mag citrate, it will act as a laxative. Magnesium glycinate does not have this effect.

Many people have tight muscles and body pain as withdrawal symptoms. Magnesium can help with this, also acupuncture, chiropractic, or osteopathic manual treatment. This could also reduce as your nervous system stabilizes with the reinstatement.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, anongrl.

Have you started the bottle of Prozac liquid yet?

Do you take the Prozac in the morning? Sounds like maybe you might take it later, if it makes you woozy. To move the dose, take it an hour or so later each day until you're taking it in the evening.

It does sound like even 1mg has helped take the edge of your withdrawal syndrome. If I were you, I'd stick with it. Better sleep is indeed a good sign.

Natural Calm is good magnesium but if you take too much mag citrate, it will act as a laxative. Magnesium glycinate does not have this effect.

Many people have tight muscles and body pain as withdrawal symptoms. Magnesium can help with this, also acupuncture, chiropractic, or osteopathic manual treatment. This could also reduce as your nervous system stabilizes with the reinstatement.

Hi Alto --

No I haven't started the liquid Prozac yet. Still making mine with water. I'm not even sure if the reinstatement helped yet because even though I have had natural sleep this week, my sxs are still SUPER bad. And there's no triggers for them. They come and go as they please. I also barely have windows. My nightmares and vivid dreams are still present. I can't even nap without anxiety waking me up. Also my morning cortisol rush is Horrendous. I have a feeling my body is still taking its time to register the 1mg because it's only been 6 days... Since you guys said it would take 2 weeks for the CNS to register it?

Also the mag has not made any difference to my diarrhea nor my sleep. No supplements have helped so far. I get diarrhea regardless of any supplements I do or don't take.

Also starting to get crushing fatigue. I think this is the side effect of the Prozac since I had chronic fatigue while I took it last year.

My medication -- Prozac

• Administrator

That symptom pattern is very characteristic of withdrawal syndrome. It might take a while for your nervous system to settle down, you can still have waves.

The morning cortisol rush is triggered by sunrise. You might be able to dampen it by putting blackout shades or curtains on your bedroom windows and using a sleep mask to keep out the light.

Please keep daily notes on paper of your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This will help us figure out what's causing what, and whether to increase the Prozac.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

OK since yesterday, I have noticed drop in BP. I'm feeling super lightheaded, wobbly, disoriented, and weak. When I put my hand over my chest, I barely feel a heartbeat. I'm sure this is because of the reinstatement. I haven't had this symptom until I reinstated...

My medication -- Prozac

Day 7 reinstatement --

No change in sxs. All my sxs are still from the CT. Had badly broken sleep last night. I believe the natural sleep I had this week was just coincidental 'windows' and not due to reinstatment. Will wait few days to see if any changes take place. If not, I will updose at a later time. If I have an adverse reaction at some point, I will fast taper off it.

My medication -- Prozac

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to anyone out there --

I'm REALLY not doing any better at all. I reinstated at 2mg Prozac the last 2 weeks and haven't seen ANY sign of change or improvement. I still feel depressed because I'm experiencing sooooo many physical symptoms (my mouth burns, legs are on fire, brain is on fire, back muscles are sore, itchiness, skin tingles EVERYWHERE...Etc).

Should I try to go on another SSRI that will hopefully alleviate the symptoms and try to stabilize on that? I have no clue what to do at this point.

My medication -- Prozac

anongrl5590 -

Sorry to hear that you haven't seen any improvement over the last two weeks.  I also experience the feeling of my brain being on fire, my muscles being sore and having itchiness and tingling on my face. 

I can't advise on whether you should switch to another A/D, but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with your withdrawal symptoms. 

Hang in there and hope you get some relief soon. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

anongrl5590 -

Sorry to hear that you haven't seen any improvement over the last two weeks.  I also experience the feeling of my brain being on fire, my muscles being sore and having itchiness and tingling on my face. 

I can't advise on whether you should switch to another A/D, but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with your withdrawal symptoms. 

Hang in there and hope you get some relief soon.

This is so damn hard. I've called SO many nurses and doctors to see if I could find anyone who could help me and I keep getting the same answer - "how can Prozac have withdrawal symptoms? You can't be suffering this far out especially after taking Prozac which is not that bad of a drug. You're probably relapsing." I keep having to repeat myself to them that I am not relapsing. I know what depression and anxiety is but whatever I'm going through now is on ANOTHER level! I tell them that I've talked to people online and in person who are going through SSRI withdrawals. The medical staff just doesn't take my word. They think I'm crazy.

At this point, I sometimes believe I'm crazy. I don't understand what I need to do at this point... And every time I wanna set up an appointment with a doctor, I always have to wait about a month before seeing them. I don't have all this time to wait! I need urgent help. What do I have to do to get a doctor who will take me in?! It's preposterous!

My medication -- Prozac

anongrl5590 -

I am sorry you are struggling and I understand it is hard.  When I learned the manufactures of the Prozac I was taking stopped making the 10mg tablets I freaked out.  I tried several other manufactures of Prozac but my body couldn't tolerate it so I had to c/t off it.  I was desperate in my search to get better.  I called different manufactures of Prozac to see if they had something similar, I talked with pharmacists, and doctors and no one could help me.  No one understand why my body was reacting this way.  I was told I must just be super sensitive to medicine.  No one listen and I just suffered.  I knew what was happening to me but no one would believe me.  I even went to a psychiatrist who said that Prozac doesn't cause withdrawal symptom's and I was relapsing and needed to go on a different antidepressants.  It is so frustrating when all you want to do is feel better.  My doctor knew something was wrong with me.  I was in her office at least twice a month.  I lost 55 pounds, couldn't eat, had visible tremor, and tons of other symptoms but no one would help me. 

You are NOT crazy.  You are having a reaction to coming off Prozac.  Unfortunately, it is withdrawal and it will take time to heal.  I know you don't want to hear that it will take time to heal because you want to feel better right now.  I totally understand.  In my experience not one doctor helped me.  I have had days where I yell and cry at the makers of Prozac and the doctors that prescribe the medicine to me.  Doctors easily give you the medicine but when you really need them when you are suffering they don't know how to help.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this.  I know the struggle and it is real.

I am here for you. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

anongrl5590 -

I am sorry you are struggling and I understand it is hard.  When I learned the manufactures of the Prozac I was taking stopped making the 10mg tablets I freaked out.  I tried several other manufactures of Prozac but my body couldn't tolerate it so I had to c/t off it.  I was desperate in my search to get better.  I called different manufactures of Prozac to see if they had something similar, I talked with pharmacists, and doctors and no one could help me.  No one understand why my body was reacting this way.  I was told I must just be super sensitive to medicine.  No one listen and I just suffered.  I knew what was happening to me but no one would believe me.  I even went to a psychiatrist who said that Prozac doesn't cause withdrawal symptom's and I was relapsing and needed to go on a different antidepressants.  It is so frustrating when all you want to do is feel better.  My doctor knew something was wrong with me.  I was in her office at least twice a month.  I lost 55 pounds, couldn't eat, had visible tremor, and tons of other symptoms but no one would help me. 

You are NOT crazy.  You are having a reaction to coming off Prozac.  Unfortunately, it is withdrawal and it will take time to heal.  I know you don't want to hear that it will take time to heal because you want to feel better right now.  I totally understand.  In my experience not one doctor helped me.  I have had days where I yell and cry at the makers of Prozac and the doctors that prescribe the medicine to me.  Doctors easily give you the medicine but when you really need them when you are suffering they don't know how to help.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this.  I know the struggle and it is real.

I am here for you. 

Thank you, O2bhappy. It's good to know I am not alone. I am here for you too!

I definitely have cried so many times shouting why I put myself in the doctor's office in the first place. I thought I needed medication because I thought I needed something to help with my social anxiety (which I now believe was only mild and not anything severe). There are no quick fixes for anything... and I am learning that the hard way now. 

Seems like we are all in the same boat - not one medical professional believes us because they don't understand that a drug like Prozac can do something so inhumane. And yes, right when we need them, they have no idea how to help us. It's a freaking nightmare! I miss how I was before all this happened... I was physically functioning fine, going out, being a normal 25 year old. I just had anxiety issues that I wish I could have resolved with natural ways of healing instead of a pill. 

What symptoms do you have currently? Are they as intense as they were at the beginning of your CT? 

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

It can take more than 2 weeks after reinstating to experience an easing of symptoms. If I were you, I'd give it another 2 weeks. Then, If you want to titrate your dose upwards, make a small increase of 0.5 to 1 mg, taking your dose to 1.5 or 2.0 mg.

The goal here is to sneak up on the minimum dose. That helps you for two reasons: big jumps can be destabilizing; and, the higher the end dose, the more you'll have to taper later.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

anongrl5590 -

I went on Prozac for panic attacks.  I wish my doctor had recommend therapy instead of throwing Prozac at me.  The Prozac never helped me, I actually think it made my panic attacks worse. 

Inhumane is an excellent way to describe Prozac withdrawal.  I also miss how I was before I took Prozac, with the exception of having the panic attacks.  :-)   It is awful what these pills do.  They don't help, they only mask the problem because while on the medicine you are numb and don't care about anything.  

What symptoms do you have currently?  I am still dealing with smell hallucinations, muscle weakness, brain fog, memory issues, hot flashes, night sweats, internal shaking, crying, anxiety, anger, ruminating thoughts, panic attacks and fear. 

Are they as intense as they were at the beginning of your CT?   Some of my symptoms have actually gone away.  The ones that remain are still as strong as they were 17 months ago.  Some days I am better at dealing with them then others.  I try my best at allowing the symptoms but that isn't always easy. 

I am grateful that I have come as far as I have, but some days I don't think I have come far enough.  I would have never thought that 17 months off Prozac that I would still be dealing with all of this,  I guess it makes since because I was on it for over 12 years. 

I have seen a change in myself during withdrawal.  Things that were once important to me are no longer important.  I find myself comparing myself to friends and total strangers thinking how lucky they are to live their happy lives.  I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but I certainly do.  I noticed I do the comparing a lot more when I feel my worse.  

I hope you have something that you can do today that gives you joy.

Thanks Scallywag for replying. This reinstatement is just taking so long... I'm scared I'm not going to feel any improvements or changes and that I'm gonna have to keep waiting for long periods of time before I see changes.

I called a facility nearby who takes my insurance but they suggested I go to a detox facility... Ummm... Yeah, not doing that. I've already heard how horrible detox facilities are.

I'm at the end of my rope. There's not one medical professional who can truly help me. I mean, I did find one doctor but he charges $300/session. Omg why am I in this situation?!

My medication -- Prozac

I came off Prozac in May 2016 and had lots of the symptoms you describe and still have them. I have the same problem with getting doctors to believe. My main issue is medication intolerance nd it's awful, I react to everything. As we heal will this go away? Anybody answer me plwase

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

anongrl5590 -

Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you!

I came off Prozac in May 2016 and had lots of the symptoms you describe and still have them. I have the same problem with getting doctors to believe. My main issue is medication intolerance nd it's awful, I react to everything. As we heal will this go away? Anybody answer me plwase

Hi Bluebird,

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this too. I want to believe that we are healing already but it is taking a LONG time. Have you experienced any windows lately? How intense are your symptoms now?

anongrl5590 -

Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you!

Hi O2bhappy,

Thank you. I was thinking of you too actually and honestly I have concluded to stay CT. I talked with Dr. Jennifer Leigh who is a benzo survivor and she helps people all around the world who are going through WD. She gave me a lot of good suggestions and after I told her about my case, she suggested I don't reinstate and to not put any other kinds of psych drugs into my body. I had already CT'd once before and had a severe panic attack when I increased my dose from 20mg to 40mg last summer so because of that, she suggested I should stay off all meds. So... I am now just riding it out. 

How are you doing btw? 

My medication -- Prozac

anongrl5590 -

I know that you had recently reinstated.  Did you taper from your reinstatement or just stop taking the Prozac?  I am glad that Dr. Leigh was able to help and give you good suggestions.  Remember when you are "riding" it out to take a day at a time.  I know it is frustrating because you want to feel better.  You will get through this.  As my husband says "you just have to embrace the suck."

Thanks for asking how I am feeling.  I am hanging in here.  Like everyone else I have my good days and bad days.  This past week has been very emotional.  I found out one of my closest friends has cancer and she has been given less then two years to live.  I am numb and devastated.  I pray for a miracle. 

anongrl5590 -

I know that you had recently reinstated.  Did you taper from your reinstatement or just stop taking the Prozac?  I am glad that Dr. Leigh was able to help and give you good suggestions.  Remember when you are "riding" it out to take a day at a time.  I know it is frustrating because you want to feel better.  You will get through this.  As my husband says "you just have to embrace the suck."

Thanks for asking how I am feeling.  I am hanging in here.  Like everyone else I have my good days and bad days.  This past week has been very emotional.  I found out one of my closest friends has cancer and she has been given less then two years to live.  I am numb and devastated.  I pray for a miracle. 

No I just stopped taking the Prozac. I was only on 1mg-2mg for 2 weeks during that reinstatement and I didn't feel any changes or improvements. I also wasn't sure if I wanted to keep waiting for the reinstatement to kick in, so I just decided to go off of it completely. I am now back to no meds. 

I am sorry to hear that your closest friend has cancer... that is just awfully devastating, especially when you are already dealing with WD. I am sending you much love and my condolences. Keep hanging on! We will get through this.

BTW how old are you? I am just wondering...sometimes I feel like the youngest person here.

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi anongrl,

Would you please take a moment to update your signature so that we can see the changes you have made since 5 Feb at a glance.  Thank you.  This is a direct link to yours:  Update Your Signature

Hi anongrl,

Would you please take a moment to update your signature so that we can see the changes you have made since 5 Feb at a glance.  Thank you.  This is a direct link to yours:  Update Your Signature

Hi Chessie,

I just updated my sig.

My medication -- Prozac

anongrl5590 -

When was your last dosage of Prozac?  What suggestions did Dr. Leigh give you? 

Since I am already so emotional because of the withdrawal getting the news about my friend hit me like a ton of bricks. 

I am 49, but I act like a teenager.  :)

anongrl5590 -

Since I am already so emotional because of the withdrawal getting the news about my friend hit me like a ton of bricks. 

My last dose was Feb. 20

Some suggestions that Dr. Leigh gave me was:

• Diet is super important
    • Fruits and veggies are a must; especially dark green leafy veggies
    • good meats
    • healthy fats
    • be careful of additives
    • Juicing can really help (I just started this today)
  • Avoid marijuana, alcohol (she said CBD oil might work but it has to be true CBD oil with no THC whatsoever)
  • Coping mechanisms
    • take it one day at a time
    • evaluate your thoughts like being an observer and try to think positively
    • trust that there is always a beginning, middle, and end to everything
    • keep your mood balanced - don't be too happy and don't be too sad 
    • avoid people who are stressors to you
    • massages - not the deep tissue kind; effleurage massages may work better
    • avoid getting too overheated like in a sauna or jacuzzi
    • hold onto a spiritual higher power whether you believe in God, Buddha, anything 
    • find a sense of purpose and service to other people - volunteer somewhere, post youtube videos for others, etc. 
    • do an outdoor activity like gardening (she said this worked for her)

You can look her up at www.benzowithdrawalhelp.com if you haven't heard about her. Even though she didn't take an AD, she still went through the hell of WD. She has a blog there too which is interesting to read since she accounts everything from the time she began WD until she recovered.

I feel like I'm a toddler  :P I'm 27 and it feel like all my functioning is at a very basic level. 

My medication -- Prozac

anongrl5590 -

How are you feeling since your last dose?  Have you noticed any changes?

Sounds like Dr. Leigh gave you some good advice.  When I first went off Prozac I couldn't focus on my diet because I was so nauseous and didn't have an appetite.  I drank a lot of protein drinks. 

I like all the coping mechanisms that she offered.  Taking everything one day at a time is great advice.  I kept looking to the future and wanting to feel better.  That didn't help me at all or get me any where.  I know when you are in a bad place that it is hard to think about any coping mechanisms. 

Thank you for sharing the link. I will look her up. 

anongrl5590 -

How are you feeling since your last dose?  Have you noticed any changes?

Sounds like Dr. Leigh gave you some good advice.  When I first went off Prozac I couldn't focus on my diet because I was so nauseous and didn't have an appetite.  I drank a lot of protein drinks. 

I like all the coping mechanisms that she offered.  Taking everything one day at a time is great advice.  I kept looking to the future and wanting to feel better.  That didn't help me at all or get me any where.  I know when you are in a bad place that it is hard to think about any coping mechanisms. 

Thank you for sharing the link. I will look her up.

I have seen a good change with my sleep and appetite. They're both sort of coming back to normal but I still deal with broken sleep and sometimes I just can't eat because I don't feel hungry. But I noticed that my morning cortisol rushes have died down. I'm actually scared to have my period this week or next week because I think that is when my symptoms flare up intensely :(

Are you still feeling nausea nowadays? I can't believe you had to go so long without really eating :( that's horrifying! Can you eat more now?

Yes, just take it a day at a time. I agree that it definitely is hard to implement coping mechanisms when you are really in the thick of it. I have cried so many times, almost everyday because the symptoms are so bad. But I can't believe I got this far ... 5 months. Now going into my 6th month.

My medication -- Prozac

anongrl5590 -

My last dose was Feb. 20

Some suggestions that Dr. Leigh gave me was:

• Diet is super important
    • Fruits and veggies are a must; especially dark green leafy veggies
    • good meats
    • healthy fats
    • be careful of additives
    • Juicing can really help (I just started this today)
  • Avoid marijuana, alcohol (she said CBD oil might work but it has to be true CBD oil with no THC whatsoever)
  • Coping mechanisms
    • take it one day at a time
    • evaluate your thoughts like being an observer and try to think positively
    • trust that there is always a beginning, middle, and end to everything
    • keep your mood balanced - don't be too happy and don't be too sad 
    • avoid people who are stressors to you
    • massages - not the deep tissue kind; effleurage massages may work better
    • avoid getting too overheated like in a sauna or jacuzzi
    • hold onto a spiritual higher power whether you believe in God, Buddha, anything 
    • find a sense of purpose and service to other people - volunteer somewhere, post youtube videos for others, etc. 
    • do an outdoor activity like gardening (she said this worked for her)

You can look her up at www.benzowithdrawalhelp.com if you haven't heard about her. Even though she didn't take an AD, she still went through the hell of WD. She has a blog there too which is interesting to read since she accounts everything from the time she began WD until she recovered.

I feel like I'm a toddler  :P I'm 27 and it feel like all my functioning is at a very basic level. 

I had a session with Dr. Leigh too!! She's great! I wrote you a PM. 

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

anongrl5590 -

I am glad that you have seen a positive change in your sleep and appetite.  That is wonderful news.  Your sleep will improve over time.  Be grateful for the sleep you do get.  Make sure you eat a little even if you are not hungry.  You need to keep your strength up.  I am glad to hear that your morning cortisol rush has died down.  You are healing. 

I can understand about being scared about your period.  Hopefully your symptoms will not be as bad this month. 

My nausea has improved.  I dealt with nausea for 14 months.  It was awful.  I could hardly eat.  I lost 55 pounds.  I was also diagnosed with delayed gastric emptying.  When I did eat my food would just sit in my stomach and not move.  That made my nausea worse.  I am able to eat more now, which I am truly grateful.  I have probably gain 5-10 back of the 55 pounds I lost because I am actually able to eat.  My thyroid levels are also off, but that is another story.  I am going back at the end of March to get my levels rechecked. 

I have cried so much during withdrawal.  Partly because I felt so bad and partly because I was so emotional and couldn't help it.  If you get a chance you should read my intro page.  Tomorrow will be 18 months for me being off Prozac.  1 1/2 years without ingesting that poison.   Guess I should celebrate.              

anongrl5590 -

I am glad that you have seen a positive change in your sleep and appetite.  That is wonderful news.  Your sleep will improve over time.  Be grateful for the sleep you do get.  Make sure you eat a little even if you are not hungry.  You need to keep your strength up.  I am glad to hear that your morning cortisol rush has died down.  You are healing. 

I can understand about being scared about your period.  Hopefully your symptoms will not be as bad this month. 

My nausea has improved.  I dealt with nausea for 14 months.  It was awful.  I could hardly eat.  I lost 55 pounds.  I was also diagnosed with delayed gastric emptying.  When I did eat my food would just sit in my stomach and not move.  That made my nausea worse.  I am able to eat more now, which I am truly grateful.  I have probably gain 5-10 back of the 55 pounds I lost because I am actually able to eat.  My thyroid levels are also off, but that is another story.  I am going back at the end of March to get my levels rechecked. 

I have cried so much during withdrawal.  Partly because I felt so bad and partly because I was so emotional and couldn't help it.  If you get a chance you should read my intro page.  Tomorrow will be 18 months for me being off Prozac.  1 1/2 years without ingesting that poison.   Guess I should celebrate.              

O2Happy you sound like me. I lost 36 lbs in the last year. I'm practically skin and bones right now. I don't want to lost anymore weight. My appetite has gotten better but still not 100% back. I get a little nausea too. It will be 1 yr for me off meds tomorrow! Wow! 18 months!! That's awesome! Keep going!!!  :)

Omg you guys I am having a really bad mental breakdown today. I cannot tolerate the symptoms anymore... I feel VERY suicidal and out of control. I don't want to go to the ER but I really cannot take the burning skin, burning BRAIN (this one is so bad), burning throat and mouth, buzzing, trembling, loss of taste and appetite, severe depression and anxiety, anhedonia, tinnitus, looping songs (it's 24/7 from the moment I wake to the moment I sleep)... and all the other goddamn symptoms that intensify at any moment. Even though some symptoms have gone, I am just getting WORSE and WORSE! No windows, no breaks for the last 2 months now. It is 6 months since my CT. My parents and friends are doing all these nice activities without me because I literally cannot handle being out with them anymore. I have screamed at the top of my lungs all morning because I. Just. Can't. Deal. I feel the need to just tear my body apart!!!!!

I feel like just going back on my 10mg pills and stabilizing on that. When I tried the 1-2mg from Feb. 5-20, I felt nothing. Absolutely no changes whatsoever. 

My medication -- Prozac

I'm so sorry you are going through such a tough time anongril!!! I know you are sick of this and tired of it, but please trust me that it does get better. I was my worst 6-7 months out.  We had/have so many of the same symptoms. Trust me, I felt like ending it all too, but you have to dig deep and find that inner strength inside. All this is just temporary for all of us. It's just a small chapter in our lives even though I know it feels like each minute is a lifetime. Coming from someone who literally was in hell with symptoms, I promise you they will start to lessen in intensity as time goes by. My right arm literally felt like it was being electrocuted for 7 months straight. I took baths, put ice packs on it, used heating pad, etc. I tried everything. Then by the 8 month it went from a level 10 pain to more of a 7 or 8, then would start to go down little by little from there. Please don't lose hope!! We are here for you and understand what you are going through. You are doing all the right things and just need to be patient even though it's soooo hard at times. I wouldn't reinstate 10mg if I were you because you may have an adverse reaction and feel worse. Please just try to take some deep breaths and do anything you can to relax. I'm here for you!  :)