hadrianus4: SSRI withdrawal nightmare

hadrianus4

I’m looking for wisdom…It’s about my mother that was put on psychiatric drugs as everyone else on this forum, it started about 13 years ago, for few months she was taking the meds then she quits them cold turkey (no one advised about withdrawal) 10 - 14 months later when she felt same symptoms she was put again on meds and so on. At the begin she had a depression during the menopause and she felt great on those meds. Every time she was put on meds she felt the side effects of them but doctors dismiss them saying she is sick. When she cold turkey the meds she was feeling great

Now reading through this site I realize that probably protracted withdrawal she was suffering of.

Usually she was put in hospital when a new crisis erupted. I do not have the list of all meds she was taken during this time but it includes: venlafaxine, trazodone and for few weeks after coming from hospital zolpidem (ambien) and carbamazepin (tegratol)

About 4 years ago (beginning of 2012) the hell broke loose and since she feels really bad. She had high blood pressure along with headaches, insomnia and other symptoms associated with withdrawal so she started again with venlafaxine 75 mg, trazodone 150 mg, carbamazepin 200 mg and zolpidem. She felt horrible while on meds but again doctors dismissed all symptoms as possible side effects or withdrawal symptoms.

She did not feel well and in may 2012 she had venlafaxine 75 mg replaced with zoloft 50 mg. Now looking back I realized it was a big mistake but she was feeling so horrible (physical symptoms) she did not realized zoloft amplified muscle tensions. Eventually in the summer 2012 she cold turkey carbamazepin and cut trazodone to 50 mg with horrific symptoms (I did not know anything about withdrawal) . She has tried various supplements but none helped at most they made the situation even bad.

Anyway about 2.5 years I’ve found this web site and start reading it and I realized she is suffering protracted withdrawal along with meds’ side effects.

We had to stop using Omega 3 oil and Mg as both seem to activate.

Now I can tell she is suffering side effects from zoloft (morning doze) and trazodone (evening doze) cause she feels bad starting 2 hours after zoloft doze and very bad in the second part of the day.

She is so sensitive that any attempts to reduce any of the meds puts her in withdrawal. She is taking zoloft in liquid form following instructions on this web site while trazodone is cut dry using an analytical balance. I feel cutting dry trazodone also add some issues as my balance is not that great

I know we have to taper the meds as it’s the only way to reduce the side effects but the last attempt of reducing zoloft with 0,05 mg went wrong.

About 22 days ago we have reduced by 0,01 mg the zoloft and till now it seems good

Currently she’s taking 43,3 mg of zoloft, 46 mg of trazodone and about 0.86 mg prestarium (prescribed for high blood pressure)

She has headache (most likely tension headache) all the day long but in the second part of the day the muscle tension is so bad she has to sit down in bed, she feels pressure on abdominal area, muscle tension on both foot and head

Other symptoms: tinnitus, she feels having the skin on the back burning; high blood pressure and insomnia during acute withdrawal periods

PS: I will add a signature

Edited by scallywag
tags

Med history: venlafaxine, trazodone, zolpidem (ambien), carbamazepin (tegratol) and zoloft (sertraline)

Current meds: Zoloft (sertraline) 43.28 mg (8:00 AM), Trittico (trazodone) 46 mg (9:00 PM), Prestarium (perindopril) 0.77 mg (11:00 AM)

Current status: holding

The plan is to taper Prestarium and holding on Zoloft and Trazodone

Symptoms: headache, muscle pain, stiffness of the limbs, tightness in the chest and abdominal area, difficulty with breathing, tinnitus, she feels having the skin on the back burning, loss of appetite. Also less frequent she has nosebleeds and bleeding gums.  

Welcome Hadrianus

Your mother is lucky to have you looking out for her.

Normally its the parent needing help for the drugged child.

Wow you've been a silent lurker for 2.5 yrs well done on finally adding your voice to the forum.

I see you know the drill and are working on the drug sig.

Drugs interaction checker?

Zoloft taper link? Im sure you have read it. 

I think you are onto it in all areas so i dont have much to say which is a bit unusual...well actually i could mention something...it appears to me that you are tapering two drugs at the same time?

This makes it difficult should wdl symptoms hit because from whom do they come from. This site rec to taper one drug at a time.

Finally i assume you are making your own zoloft liquid. 

Did you make a 1mg : 1ml solute or is it something else im just asking as you said the drop of 0.05mg went wrong. Have you cross checked what you are measuring out is what im saying here.

Anyway welcome

America needs more children like you...hold on i think Montreal is in Canada right?

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi nz11,

Thank you for your words. It's been a while I read this site, I've found valuable information on it.

I've already checked the drugs interaction and unfortunately there is a MAJOR interaction between zoloft (sertraline) and trazodone.  

At this moment we're trying micro tapering zoloft and prestarium (prescribed for high blood pressure). I know I should avoid tapering 2 drugs, I'm just hoping that a slow taper of prestarium will not impact. I'm sure there was no need for prestarium as high blood pressure is a symptom of withdrawal for my mother. 

I read this post http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1705-fishy-trazodone-for-sleep/and there is a suggestion to taper zoloft first.

We are making our own zoloft liquid following information found here on this site http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/, in our case 1mg = 1ml of solution.

For the past 6 months my mother was on 43.2 mg of zoloft and 46 mg of trazodone. About 6 weeks ago we tried micro tapering zoloft with 0,05 ml but after 2 weeks withdrawal hit so we had to go to 43.3 mg of zoloft and withdrawal symptoms subdue. Her nervous system seems very sensitized 

As of right now she is using a 10 ml and 1ml syringe both with 50 gradation on them, so she draws 6 ml using the 10 ml syringe than she draws 0.72 ml using the 1 ml syringe for a total of 6.72 ml therefore she is taking  43.28 ml (mg) of zoloft

post-2406-0-66773100-1483452247_thumb.png

With 1 mg = 1ml the smallest amount to taper using 1 ml syringe is 0.02 ml, so this is what we will try next.

I know that she has to taper these drugs cause she has adverse reactions to SSRIs.

I'm living in Canada but my mother lives in Romania.

Med history: venlafaxine, trazodone, zolpidem (ambien), carbamazepin (tegratol) and zoloft (sertraline)

Current meds: Zoloft (sertraline) 43.28 mg (8:00 AM), Trittico (trazodone) 46 mg (9:00 PM), Prestarium (perindopril) 0.77 mg (11:00 AM)

Symptoms: headache, muscle pain, stiffness of the limbs, tightness in the chest and abdominal area, difficulty with breathing, tinnitus, she feels having the skin on the back burning, loss of appetite. Also less frequent she has nosebleeds and bleeding gums.  

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm don't understand your arithmetic in calculating the dose. Oh, wait -- I think I get it.

You use a 50 mg tablet with 50 mg water. The quantities you've posted are amounts that are withdrawn by syringe and discarded, correct?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Well picked up SW i was having trouble understanding what was going on until i then read your post and it was no longer as clear as mud!

Hey thats a very good picture hadrianus i think i will save it in my intro.

Could you please do a drug signature.

This is a bit over my head because i dont know anything about perindopril/prestarium. But when did you start tapering that.

This may or may not be anything but i did a wiki on prestarium and there is precaution for combination with neuroleptics or imipramine-type drugs may increase the hypotensive effect. There is also a contraindication for 'Situations where a patient has a history of hypersensitivity'

we know that ssri wdl can cause a sensitized cns.

I guess what i am saying here is maybe you have dropped the prestarium by too much but you havent revealed from what dose you have dropped.

Personally im surprised that 0.05mg drop in zoloft would cause a crash needing an updose.

But then again i suppose nothing should surprise me in this game.

Would you be so kind so as to do a drug sig then a moderator can better advise you.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

For zoloft the solution is made using a 50 mg tablet with 50 ml water therefore 1 ml solution = 1mg zoloft

You're right scallywag the quantities I've posted are amounts that are withdrawn by syringe and discarded

I'll work to add the signature.

Prestarium has been tapered for the past 1.5 yrs from 2.5 mg to 0.86 mg right now and trying to go down slowly. In fact we're trying to taper zoloft and prestarium avoiding to taper both in the same moment.

I know that my mom has a very sensitive CNS right now caused by past cold turkey + various supplements tried in the past, so unless she made a mistake when I've told her to taper 0.05 mg it seems that caused a crash.

Also I have hard time to dry cut trazodone (trittico) to 46 mg using the balance I have, probably I will need a better balance to avoid instability caused by trazodone.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hadrian,

Why are you reducing her prestarium?  Did her doc okay her coming off of this medication?  If this medication is making her feel ill, there are others she can try,  For hypertension, it does not matter the CAUSE of the high blood pressure, even if it is WD, it matters that it is being treated if she has it.  It may ease after coming off of the other meds, but without a doc's okay, generally one should not change any cardiac medication without a doctor's order.  Hypertension is a slow, silent killer in most cases. 

Does she have a BP machine, or someone capable in the household of taking it manually?  She has some symptoms that are concerning me.

Thanks,

Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Hi Skeeter,

Prestarium has its own side effects that might add up to those of Zoloft and Trazodone. My mother never had high blood pressure or any issues with her heart, in fact she is monitoring her blood pressure daily and it's OK when she is in stable period, she has a BP machine. Prestarium was prescribed to her when she had hypertension as an acute withdrawal symptoms, but her doctor is in a total denial about withdrawal so I assume he treated her symptoms.

I'm aware hypertension is a slow, silent killer if not treated and this is the reason I asked her to check it every day.

For me hypertension is a sign of acute withdrawal and usually it's happening when we taper zoloft. But when she stabilizes the hypertension is OK. I've noticed that when she's in acute withdrawal Prestarium could not lower the blood pressure, though it might have a positive impact overall 

Anyway tapering Prestarium slowly over the past 1.5 years from 2.5 mg to 0.86 mg has not triggered any issue.

Probably you are right and I will stop tapering Prestarium just in case she will need it to take the edge when we'll taper zoloft.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hadrian,

You know how she talks about her abdominal discomfort?  I was a little concerned when I heard that she had headache, abdominal discomfort and feet pain, as the first can be a sign of uncontrolled BP (but you advised that BP is normal, which is wonderful! But the last 2 symptoms can be  indicative of a "Triple A"  aka: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, but it is really rare in women (4x more prevalent in white males than any other population).

Prestarium is an ACE Inhibitor, as I am sure you know. I wonder if she did not need it at all if it would cause hypotension, but if her readings are normal for her age, at what, half the dose, it may just be offsetting minor increased BP from tapering, possibly?  Just a thought, not anything more. Really interesting stuff! 

At any rate she may want to mention the 3 symptoms to her docs next time she is in, just to make sure nothing is going on. if it is just WD, the tests will show nothing, generally.

It is wonderful that you care for her so much! I am not raising any alarm flags just advising that she might want to mention these 3 pain/discomfort issues when she is next seen just to rule out anything important.  Once in while the rare things do pop up.  To check the abdomen for that rare dx, it is just an ultrasound.

I am sorry she is not feeling well!

Best wishes!!

Skeeter

Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• Moderator Emeritus

OOPS forgot the link on AAA.  it is EXCEEDINGLY rare, but thought I would show you in case you were not in the medical field.  Is an interesting read, anyways.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/aortic-aneurysm-symptoms

Hope she is doing a bit better!

Skeeter

Thanks Skeeter,

Judging on symptoms patterns I'd rather say headache, abdominal discomfort and feet pain are all Zoloft / Trazodone side effects - most likely caused by muscle tension combined with WD, early in the morning they are not that intense but few hours after zoloft doze they become more intense and towards the evening it seems to be the worst time. Another reason I think zoloft is causing issues, she's complaining about muscle spasm after she takes zoloft.

I'll check the link you sent me. I just hope everyone that post on this site will do better .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hadrian,

I am so sorry to have offended you. The article is a interesting read if nothing else. I do hope you will find more acceptable responses from now on. I only mentioned it because I have head of the symptoms before, also why I mentioned how rare, I only wish the very best for her and for you, of course!

I wish your mom the very best! Good luck.

Skeeter

• Administrator

Welcome, hadrianus.

Thank you for your patience. We are all volunteers doing our best, Skeeter is very diligent.

About what times of day does your mother take her drugs?

When you say she feels worse after the Zoloft, what exactly are her symptoms? When she feels worse later in the day, what time is that and what are the symptoms?

Is she taking trazodone for sleep? Is it effective?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I apologise for delay but I had to travel and I got stuck in the airports

Hi Skeeter

You did not offend me

Thank you Alto for your time.

She takes Zoloft in the morning at 8:00 AM, Prestarium at 11:00 AM and Trazodone at 9:00 PM  

These are her daily symptoms: headache, muscle pain, stiffness of the limbs, tightness in the chest and abdominal area, difficulty with breathing, tinnitus, she feels having the skin on the back burning, loss of appetite. Also less frequent she has nosebleeds and bleeding gums.  

Based on what she's telling me, not long after she takes Zoloft (1,5 ~ 2 hours) she feels an increase in  muscle spams, muscle cramps and the intensity of symptoms exposed above increase in intensity. Mornings usually are bearable to support but noon and evening period is difficult to support, she stays most of the time seated. 

I've also noticed that between 12:00 and 18:00 there are chances she could become  more agitated (it might be anxiety) and during this time the BP could increase (for example in the morning the BP is: 117/68/57 and around 3:00 PM it might be 148/87/61 or sometimes a bit higher, going down to 110/60/56 in the evening before sleep)

I'm not sure but I think the doctor prescribe Trazone for sleep and it seems to work, she does not sleep all night but at least she gets some sleep 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hadrian,
Glad you got to your destination okay! Hope I do better for you this time.  With the info I had last time, it all sounded so different than it does with the wonderful info you shared this time. I have some surprising findings this time.

Thank you so much for the very detailed report on your mom. It really helped show a better pattern, but there are a couple of symptoms I worry about outside of just withdrawal.

Zoloft: Now I think your idea on the Zoloft correct in some ways, for sure (wait until you read the paragraph on the BP med!!) between 1200-1800 is about when Zoloft hits the mean peak plasma concentration (when it is strongest in the body), and half life happens at 26 hours, so this tells us that the drug remains pretty constant in the blood over a 24 hour period.. That does fit in with the time you said she feels the worst every day. 

Trazodone and Prestarium:  Together cause Hypotension, explaining her lower blood pressure in the evening just before bed.  Nz11 alluded to this in his message. 

Trazodone: With her dose timing, it is making more sense- peak plasma concentrations with Trazodone happen within a hour,(for insomnia half life is 3-6 hours- lower dose for insomnia than as an AD) so as soon as she takes it, it starts to take effect. And it seems to explain her lower blood pressure before bed (and I did a bunch of research) http://www.insomnia.net/medications/trazodone/

Prestarium:  Has SO MANY side effects: causes paresthesia   (burning, numbness, or pins and needles feeling on the skin commonly).  I am wondering if that is where part of her skin burning is coming from, possibly.  WD can cause it, too, but I am not used to hearing it only on the back for that  I am more used to hearing it in on the arms and head/face (this is my perception, and my own experience with paresthesia during WD, but everyone is different)!  Headache is common.so is tinnitus, AND difficult and labored breathing.  Also common are a slew of GI issues, including  nausea, dyspepsia, and diarrhea or constipation.  Muscle cramps, ae, as you at have guessed, common. Peak Plasma in 1 hour. Half life in 17 hours (time it takes the body to get rid of half the dose- so the medication is working less at that point).  Put that all together and it possibly explains your mom's rough hours starting at noon.      https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/32004  

***Right now it looks like it COULD be her BP med causing most of her issues.  These meds are known to really have some BAD side effects.  If her doc paid more attention, he may have noticed that she has almost all of the common side effects!!

I hope you do not mind if I ask a few questions.   These are general questions that go along with withdrawal and general health.  I am not asking these questions as a medical professional such as a nurse or a doctor. I am just trying to get information to better help your mother.    

1. What is your mom's age?

2. How are all of her symptoms just before bed when her BP is lower?

3. Other than med withdrawal related, has she had any major hospitalizations (pneumonia, etc.)?
4. Does she have any other diagnosed illnesses that could account for any of her symptoms?
5. When did she last have her last physical where here lungs/heart were checked, and a blood panel run?

6. Has she taken any antibiotics since 2012 (this could be important).

Best Wishes,

Skeeter

Thank you so much for your input Skeeter. I'll read carefully and I'll answer all questions shortly.

Skeeter,

You're logic seems right to me, some of those symptoms could get worst because of Prestarium. I always put all the blame on Zoloft.  

See the answer below:

1. What is your mom's age? She is 72 years old

2. How are all of her symptoms just before bed when her BP is lower? Usually she feels bad even before bed, mornings are better.

3. Other than med withdrawal related, has she had any major hospitalizations (pneumonia, etc.)? No she did not
4. Does she have any other diagnosed illnesses that could account for any of her symptoms? No
5. When did she last have her last physical where here lungs/heart were checked, and a blood panel run? About 2 years ago she end up in the hospital (I think it was WD symptoms that caused high BP) and they could not find anything. She had a blood panel run in August 2016 and it was OK.

6. Has she taken any antibiotics since 2012 (this could be important). No she did not take any antibiotics.

Edited by ChessieCat
change font from red to other colour for ease of reading

• Moderator Emeritus

Hadrian,
Your mom is in amazing health for her age!  She is so lucky to have you helping her.  I do thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions,   Sorry, it took me a while to do all of the research to give you tis response to try answer why she might be suffering from some of the issues she is having currently.  It actually started out totally different until I found the site on the BP med, then everything just really fell into place.  But I agree with you it did sound like it was the Zoloft, so that is where I started- it made total sense. I love research, so I am just glad I could help. Some people just REALLY do not respond well to BP medicine (esp, maybe if they do not need it, or need that kind).  

My suggestion to you would be for her to make an appointment with a cardiologist (or, if she only had her blood run maybe a physical where the doc can check her lungs and heart, too, if that has not been checked in a couple of years (with a different doc than put her on this BP med, possibly)?.  Maybe you could translate the info I have given you, if you find it helpful (or there are online translators), maybe the doc will see the pattern we both see, which seems go with the blood levels and interaction with the Trazodone, lowering her blood pressure, or so it seems, as it is a known issue with those meds.

Sure, she will probably still have some effects from lowering the Zoloft, but as long as you do it nice and slow, they hopefully will be NOTHING like she is going through now.  Her days just sound horrible, and she does not deserve that.

Her BP med is an ACE Inhibitor, and is meant for people that have hypertension all of the time, not just part of the day, or part of the time.  I would think an extra substance that is not needed probably is not doing her any good.  I hope you have relatives that live close to her that can take her to see a doctor to get a taper plan off of this med.  If they say to just stop taking it, that is your choice to follow that or not  I can see if I can find any information on coming off of this particular BP med, if there is anything, so it can be shown to the doc if he suggests that she go off of it cold turkey.  I do not wish her to go through anything else tan she is already going through.  Actually I looked this up, and found something rather surprising.  This person stopped taking the med after they had a stent put in,  noticed he was no longer having a hard time breathing, then doc caught it, had him start again, and the signs/symptoms that were similar to your mom (not all of the specific symptoms, but feeling awful most of the time, issues breathing), and immediately upon stopping taking it again, well you can read for yourself.  Let me know what you think of this if you like (you certainly do not have to): http://community.bhf.org.uk/group/discussion/perindopril-side-effects

She is also on a really low dose.  According to the info I have (now the ones in Romania may be different, they go up to 8mg pills here, with the smallest pill being 2mg, so she is on a very low dose.  I did not find any issues with low doses and stopping this med.  I am sure high doses over a long period of time is different than her slowly being lowered to half her dose over quite a while, as well. 

As for her normal blood pressure (for 70 year old's), "Normal blood pressure ranges for an adult will be 90 to 150 for the systolic (upper number) and 60 to 90 for the diastolic (lower number) when taken by sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff). A healthy 70 year old should have a blood pressure within these ranges, but can be slightly higher in the systolic range."  Written in an easier format: 90-150/60-90.   So on the med, it sounds like she can get CLOSE to this, but it also may be a paradoxical issue from this med causing her BP to go up, possibly/
Hypertension for her age, "Hypertension (in 70 year old's) is defined as a diastolic pressure (lower number) generally higher than 90 and commonly found in older people. Hypertension is treated with medications that can carry side effects, including weakness and dizziness."
Link: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5993530_normal-range-70-year-old.html

Please let me know if you have aby questions.  I am more than happy to assist you in any way I can.

I hope this info really does help her feel better!  It is a shame for her to have health this good and yet feel so awful!
Skeeter

Skeeter,

Thank you so much for your kind words and all the help you have provided to me.

I have to see if she can go to see a specialist. I agree with you probably Prestarium just complicate the all situation.

In Romania, Prestarium is sold in 5 mg pills. In Wikipedia it's written ACE inhibitors have also been shown to cause a central enhancement of parasympathetic nervous system activity.

I do not think she will be able to just stop taking it, most likely she will have to go with a slow taper as she is really very sensitive.

She is so sensitive that about 8 days ago she had to replace the 10 ml plastic syringe (it was worn out and it was difficult to operate it easily) she uses to take out 6 ml from Zoloft to discard. The new syringe seems to be of a different volume for the 6 ml scale compared to the previous one. In fact I think without intention she just tapered the Zoloft dose.

This is the second day she feels very bad with symptoms aggravating even in the morning and she could not sleep the night before. For me the lack of sleep is an indication she is in WD.

I have no idea what the difference in volume was between the 2 syringes. I suggested her to add 0,06 ml of Zoloft to see if that will help, she will take 43.34 mg of Zoloft rather than 43.28 mg. It’s not that much to add more side effects but I hope it will subdue the WD.

I know from past experience with tapering Zoloft that usually takes 4 to 5 days to register which fits with current situation.

With this in mind I was thinking of maybe holding on Zoloft and Trazodone (for her to stabilise) and slow taper Prestarium to see if some side effects will go down.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hadrian,

I think that sounds like a GREAT plan!  I am glad the research paid off, in this case.

Good thinking on how to solve the Zoloft syringe issue.  Maybe it was a different manufacturer, and there was a little difference...hmm..  With sensitive people, it can make a huge difference!

Now on the Prestarium, that means she WAS on 5mg before, and you have slowly brought her down to under 1mg. AMAZING! I wholeheartedly approve stopping the other tapers while you taper this one.  She may surprise you and be able to go a little faster than you expect, as some people feel better as the BP meds are reduced, if that is truly an issue for her (which I obviously think it is, but could be wrong, but the signs and symptoms are really spot on). Are you thinking a 5% reduction a first, and see how long it takes her to get back to normal, and go from there?  You have done a great job with her tapers, I am just curious as to your method.

You & she both know to watch her BP- goes without saying.   I assume you will not start the P taper until she has stabilized from her Zoloft issue.  You know your way around, very well!  It would be nice for her to see a doc before she totally comes off of the P with her BP & taper records from the BP med in hand, advising the doc she is at under 1mg, it it has NOT caused her hypertension to change at all, or be uncontrolled/changed at any time from what I understand.  Was her BP any different on the 5mg per day?  The advice from the doc on how to come off of the P may not be the same as you agree with, obviously. My guess will be they will say just to stop. You are very well informed on your options, which is great.

Are you going to fly over for the appointment, or can a family member go with her?  Not being nosy, just wondering, as she could really do with your virtual presence if they have  WiFi and she has a device that can Skype, or just even be on the speaker phone?  You care so much that I know you will really advocate for her, and ask the right questions. Her health is actually so good that I think if you can get over this hump, she should feel better with a very slow taper of her other meds, and you guys can get back to having a normal relationship.  It is not good stress for either of you! She should be enjoying herself in life now.

Good luck with her!  I truly hope she starts to feel better soon.  I look forward to hearing how she feels after being off of the Prestarium.  It may not get rid of all of her issues, but I would be thrilled to hear that the head, chest and abdomen and feet were no longer a daily fight for her!

If anything pops up, I am happy to help!

Skeeter

There might be other people having issues with changing the syringe, some are cheap plastic syringes where there is an acceptable level of tolerance that could impact someone very sensitive.

As for Prestarium she was on 2.5 mg but in Romania Prestarium is available only in 5 mg pills so she had to cut it in half.

I went slow on tapering Prestarium cause I did not know what the impact could be on her, but you might be right and she can support a faster taper.

Her BP was not any different when she was on 2.5 mg of Prestarium and I can say the BP will change mostly as a WD result from either Zoloft or Trazodone. As long as she gets stabilised on Zoloft the BP also is OK.

I cannot go there in short time maybe in 5 or 6 months, my dad takes care of her and eventually he'll be the one handling the doctor appointment.

Me to I hope that everyone here will soon feel better including my mom. I'll keep posting the results of tapering Prestarium.

Thank you so much for everything.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hadrian,

It has been my pleasure to assist you. The both of them with your help have been doing a spectacular job! I would adore updates, whenever you are up to it, just to know how she is. Does not need to be often if she is okay, but a line when you get a chance would be very welcome! I so much have my hopes set on her feeling a bit better getting off of this apparently unnecessary drug! Your mom and dad would be so happy (not to mention you)!

I would suggest a different doc, and get a BP med that is taken PRN (as needed). Have your parents call you before they fill any script. I am happy to assist if you need it. I do NOT want her to end u where she is now, ever again. Good think I like research!

Now we do suggest, as you probably heard, suggest only tapering one med at a time. It seems to be easier on the system. We can advise you which med would probably be best to come off of first, when she gets there, if you choose to go that way. I do not want to screw up your plans. I wonder if she might be better doing one med at a time, once she is down to only 2 instead of 3!

Best wishes!

Skeeter