If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Someone give me akathisia hope

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Annabee

Annabee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio Texas

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

I got akathisia from a potent antipshotic (latuda ) after being on it for 3 weeks.Its now been 2 1/2 months since my last pill and the akathisia isn't improving and I've tried propanalol and klonopin ...

I keep seeing Peter Breggins articles of it being permanent and so many suffering for so long

If this is permanent I won't make it thru this life .

Anyone?

#2 KarenB

KarenB

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

Hi Annabee, I just saw this and was going to direct you the Akathisia thread, but saw you've already seen it and written an unanswered post. 

People do recover from it.  It can take a while, but it does happen.  Even the worst sufferers eventually find relief.  There's many examples in the Akathisia thread, plus it's really worth checking out this intro thread by Fresh.  It has a happy ending!

I'll merge this with the other thread eventually. 

2010 May Fluoxetine 20mg. Raging mostly stops, become more functional.
2011 February Escitalopram 10mg (sudden switch). 2012 January Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Early June Feeling great, decide to taper. Doc advises alternate days 20mg/10mg for 4 weeks.  Late June Steady. Drop to 10mg daily. Early July Not coping, raging, flu symptoms, shaky, anxious, low, spaced-out, self-destructive.  Mid July Return to alternate days 20mg/10mg - minimal improvement. Early August Return to full dose 20mg. Lost.
2014 February Switch to Venlafaxine. (First reduced Esc. to 10mg/day for a week) Feb-April Lost, 'light' self-harm, exhausted.
April Increase Ven. to 150mg/day. Dizzy. July 75mg twice a day to improve dizziness. Deep depression remains.  2015 Feb Vigilant dose spacing partially eases dizziness. Mar Switch to Effexor 75mg 2x/day. May Cut 10% to 135mg - bad w/d 2 mths, held 1 mth.  Aug 1.3% cut - bad 1mth, held 1mth. Oct 4 wkly 0.4% cuts held 6 weeks. Jan 2016 2 wkly 0.4% cuts. 8 month hold. Sept Wkly cuts: 0.5%, 3 1% cuts.  Oct 4 wkly 1% cuts, hold 3-4 weeks.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamins E & C, magnesium, iron, MSM, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.  My story of healing: ContinuedHealing

***I am not a doctor or counselor; please do your own research and be prepared to take responsibility for decisions you make.*** 

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

#3 UnfoldingSky

UnfoldingSky

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

Oh Annabee, you can't believe the Breggin articles.  I bought into him saying it was permanent when I developed it too and it was not true. It left me with no hope yet I still recovered anyway, I don't have it anymore. I was sure I'd never recover yet here I am able to sit still and to be honest not even all that inclined to even want to get up...I could lay in bed all day and never get any feeling remotely approaching it.

Please don't lose hope!

Partly recovered from AD withdrawal/reactions as well as issues with other psych drugs.  Also, I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions. Also due to the withdrawal/reactions I have had I may at times have cognitive problems so please keep this in mind when reading my posts (also please note, these issues are improving as I recover).

#4 chicken

chicken

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Go read my thread. I thought I would never survive akathesia but I did....so far. I'm symptom free now. I hope to stay that way.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

My PH balance thread: http://survivinganti...wonders-for-me/