SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LexSuks: Debilitated from lexapro withdrawal after 3 months

LexSuks

OK I'm praying things are going to start improving and wanted to hear opinions of what maybe could be done to lessen the severity of what I'm going through now . I'll try to give a brief history of what has transpired over past year when this started .

So I got bored and lonely one month when the main person I hanged with when I moved to a different state went away for school for 5 months , n began drinking every other day for bout a month then had my first ever panic attack . ( before this happened I was not a very anxious person , a little social anxiety and no depression that was really that bad . I was a pretty laid back , humorous, very loving & caring , compassionate dude. )

So right off the bat doctor gave me Zoloft for panic attack. Took it for few months but had side effects I didn't care for that I can't remember what they were now . So they put me on lexapro which they told me was a new improved version of citalopram ( which I took briefly for bout 3 months in 2010 without any side effects and quit cold turkey when lost my job with only withdrawal being depressed for a week then it went away and I don't remember anything strange after that , just got back to normal )

So lexapro had bad side effects I didn't care for. Felt like I was constantly at war with myself. Could tell certain emotions and feelings were not natural to me . So I convinced doctor I just want an anti anxiety med , which was something non habit forming that took time to build up in system like antidepressant . So they said to just take 2 more 10mg doses of lexapro and stop . Well I took the new anti anxiety for maybe 3 days ( can't remember name of it ) and 2 more doses of 10 mg lexapro doses and quit .

First month don't recall any major withdrawals.

2nd month started having really bad head pressure , a lil nausea, little breathing issues, depersonalisation, anxiety , concentration problems , brief eye issues . But was still able to function and get out and drive and go places without debilitating anxiety .

But now a lil over 3 months out I feel completely debilitated. Woke up bout a week ago in a new " wave " I guess and it's the worst yet . Hard to think or remember, depression , derealisation, my true emotions almost seem non existent , or they come on very strong . Anxiety in my whole body is pretty high , feel pretty weak and achy , flu-ish, can still tell my minds not right , and difficulty breathing . Have anxiety about going anywhere and it's depressing .appetite pretty much gone , And it's very upsetting seeing my mom feel hopeless in helping me out of this .

I am just so exhausted n drained , this crap has robbed me of everything I was and pray still am, and I'm angry the docs did not try other natural solutions to deal with my panic attack issue cause all these symptoms are pure hell by comparison . Is there any way to lessen the severity of symptoms or I just got to ride it out , and I'm hoping there's no permanent damage going on and I'll get back to being my normal self, whom I miss very much .

By the way , also stopped smoking cigs after 11 long years and switched to vaping. And have no plans to ever drink again . And have not even had decaf coffee since this horrid wave started and have exercised walking and also we just moved back to my home state so got alot of exercise past 2 days . Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by scallywag
tags

Was put on Zoloft 15mg 1/17/2016 after I had my first panic attack I believe due to excessive drinking mostly .

Quit Zoloft 4/16 due to side effects and was put on lexapro 10mg

Quit lexapro 10 mg due to side effects 8/16

I don't want to reinstate any drug

Started citalopram 10mg 1/10/17

By the way , I'm in constant worry that this will cause a serious medical problem like a seizure with the kinda tightening I feel in my head at times . N worried I won't be myself when this is finally over . Last time I felt kinda normal was maybe 5 weeks ago , n think I was pretty much my good ol normal self until I went to bed and woke up . But that was only after a trip to er for head pressure and they gave me some kinda strong nasal medicine n hooked me up to Iv that had other medicine in it that made me feel wired and tired at same time , but when I woke up my head was more clear , no pressure , felt more free from this withdrawal crap than I'd felt in a while .I pray every day for relief and if it wasn't for God and my awesome family I wouldn't have made it this long without getting desperate and trying another drug that'd prob just mess me up more . Sorry I'm probably rambling . Just can't express enough how ridiculous this b.s. is . Oh n forgot , went to er for really bad head pressure again not long ago and they tested everything n gave me a cat scan and said everything looked fine . They told me to see my primary doc n therapist n told them what I've been experiencing and neither believe I have withdrawals from antidepressants , cause they think they go away in a few weeks or something . N I was like ," hate to tell you all , but I never had these probs until the medicine " . Just so tired of this. I'm ready to enjoy life again , really starting to miss playing xbox , but can't even do that at the moment

Was put on Zoloft 15mg 1/17/2016 after I had my first panic attack I believe due to excessive drinking mostly .

• Moderator Emeritus

LexSuks -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You'll find numerous other members dealing with symptoms from discontinuing Lexapro.

You've given a good account of your history with SSRI medication. A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Please list dates using words or abbreviations, e.g. "Jan" or "August"; 1/9 could be January 9 or September 1.
  • Any drugs prior to 18 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 8 and Post 9

The experience and symptoms you describe sound like classic withdrawal from SSRIs. You can read more about that in the post(s) at these links:
What is withdrawal syndrome
Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

Lexapro is a one of the strongest SSRIs, if not the most potent. It's extremely unfortunate that neither your doctor nor pharmacist advised in strong words and tone AGAINST sudden discontinuation of Lexapro, i.e. cold-turkey.

The only effective remedy for these symptoms is to reinstate the medication. Most doctors, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, and nurse practitioners view these symptoms as the return of the "underlying condition"; their answer is a new prescription. Many people have found relief by reinstating a much smaller dose than the one previously taken. At 3 months since your last dose, it might be better to try reinstatement with citalopram (Celexa) rather than escitalopram (Lexapro). Reinstatement doesn't work right away and it doesn't work for everybody who tries it.

Please do not reinstate just yet and especially don't reinstate your last dose of Lexapro. Please post here in your introduction topic whether you are considering reinstatement or not, and any questions you have about it. You can read about reinstatement in the discussion at this link:
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Many people find supplementation with Omega 3 fish oil and magnesium helpful. If you want to try that, pick one of the two and start with a low dose for a week or so to see what reaction if any you have to it. If none, then gradually increase to the full recommended amount on the bottle. For more information, please look at the discussions at this links:
Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)
Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for the information, I'm praying these withdrawals end soon

From topic: 

Any possible long term or permanent problems quitting 10mg lexapro cold turkey

Severe withdrawal
Withdrawal
Lexapro
Side effects
Cold turkey

Edited by ChessieCat

I was on lexapro 10 mg for about 5 to 6 months and was told I could pretty much quit since it was such a small dose without tapering . Didn't have very noticeable withdrawal symptoms for first month but after that I was hit with really intense head pressure and felt like my brain was tightening up in specific areas in my head , woke up anxious , bad brain fog ,concentration problems, cognitive and memory problems .

Not long after that had a wave that consisted of depersonalisation on top of a few of previous problems.
Now I'm going through worst wave yet where I can't seem to think or feel much emotion at all other than depression. Feels like I'm alone though I know I'm not, and I feel like a stranger to myself . I guess cause before all this I rarely felt sick or even got a headache. And also instead of depersonalisation seem to have derealisation now. Have anxiety bout going out anywhere, feel like a prisoner in my own body .It's freaking me out to say the least cause before antidepressants I only had what even what therapist considered normal low grade depression and anxiety issues that don't require meds . So I'm just wondering if I really jacked my mind and body up , or if I stay the course of med free , exercising , eating healthy my mind and body will still find homeostasis and I'll feel like my old self again ? I just can't believe one panic attack and taking a medicine that was suppose to rid me of the panic attacks has done way worse to me than my original problem had

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LS,

I've moved the new topic you created into your Intro/Update topic.  It is best to keep all posts about your individual situation here as it keeps your history and responses to questions in one place.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

OK thank you Chessiecat . Sorry I've never been on a site like this before

Oh this crap is aggravating. Normally I wouldn't be able to stand being stuck inside the house all day , especially when the suns out, and have no probs whatsoever going to public places . But now we're about to go to the grocery store and I still feel so off I'm getting anxious about even going anywhere . Be somewhat ok if I at least had enough concentration and could feel the joy of playing my ol xbox one again to fend off boredom and depression , but man , I don't even know if I can do that . This ridiculous wave of symptoms is driving me up the wall . Know I've said it for months , but lexapro , you're a p.o.s.

Hi LexSuks,

Let me say, "Yes, yes it does 'suck'". In so many ways, too. I've been right where you are. Anxiety, depression, boredom, agoraphobia. Your brain is screaming at you to do something, ANYTHING to relieve this unrelenting torture, but your body just won't cooperate. You realize this is what it must've been like for Han Solo frozen in the carbonite, but you secretly believe this is SO MUCH WORSE! And you're probably right. Not just because Star Wars is fiction, either. This really IS torture.

I've been on this drug (and several others) for much longer than you have and I'm a whole lot older. If it's gotten better for me I know it will for you too. Hang in there.

Peace, love and healing. 

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Thank you so much for the encouragement Patricia, I definitely needed some . And love the Star Wars analogy . Although now it reminds me I still haven't been able to see Rogue One due to my current condition , now I'm depressed again . Ha , j/p . But ya , what you say is pretty accurate , I wanna get out and enjoy life again so bad but I feel like a prisoner in my own body . The wave of probs I had before this were more bearable since I could still drive and go places without any huge problem, but yep , now I'm pretty much a couch potato for the past like 9 days. And I know everyone's different , but bout how long were you lexapro free before you started feeling better if you don't mind me asking ? I'm praying since I was only exposed to antidepressants for like 8 months I'm gonna improve greatly before long , although I did cold turkey the lexapro which I keep seeing n hearing wasn't a smooth move , but just followed Dr's orders . " 10 mg is such a small dose you can just quit taking it " , ya , apparently not . N of course doc n therapist I was seeing don't believe in withdrawals lasting this long . Least we got each other here . Thanks again, I'll pray we both return to 100% ourselves again soon

I'm actually not Lexapro free yet. If you look at my signature you'll see that over the last 16 months (Wow! Has it really been that long?) I've tapered down from 30 mg to 7.5 mg. Problem is at the beginning I went way too fast (On my idiot doctor's recommendation, of course). That's what put me where you are right now. Fortunately, I found SA before he got a chance to screw me up even worse.

I had to hold and taper other meds that were complicating the Lex withdrawal for a good four months. That's when I felt the worst. That hold did do me good, however. Things evened out and I have now returned to tapering much more slowly. Even now with much tinier drops, I still get pretty symptomatic each time, but now it passes much more quickly. Weeks instead of months. My point is that it ALWAYS passes no matter what.

While in withdrawal, our compromised brains are constantly trying to convince us that we're permanently damaged. We've always been like this and we always will, but it's just not true. I've seen too many amazing changes within myself in the past year to believe anything is permanent. It makes me hopeful for what may be just around the corner for both of us.

BTW Rogue One was AWESOME! You'll be seeing it in no time! We'll have to compare reviews.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Don't know if anyone here can answer this or not , but something else I tend to continually worry about is once I've conquered this withdrawal crap will my personality and original way how I thought and felt about things return to normal ? Although I know there will be one change for sure as far as how I view drinking. I'm never gonna do anything again that's takes me away from feeling like my normal self again . Use to drink cause some friends seemed think I was more fun and entertaining to hang with when I was boogered up , guess cause I was a lil shy and laid back otherwise . But I know now they just weren't really good friends n didn't have much in common with them. People I have more in common with enjoy my company plenty while I'm sober .ive also learned drinking doesn't solve boredom or loneliness issues . Wish every day since my panic attack n all this crap with antidepressants n withdrawal started I had realized that before this hell happened to me . But I'm praying when I recover from this I'll be able to help others. And if I can make it through anyone could I think . Because all in the year this happened there's been personal hardships and big changes. Just while going through withdrawal I quit smoking after 11 years of cancer sticks, haven't drank in about a month n never will again , then my dad passed away last October and he wasn't just my dad, he was one of my best friends who was helping me through this tough time though he had a bigger health problem of his own he didn't tell anyone about ( liver cancer ) but I still hear him in my head as I go through this what he was telling me before " your condition is only temporary " , that of course was the toughest blow I've endured through this but I know he would want me to remain strong and be happy ....and also just had a big move from Missouri to back home to Oklahoma. But I'm remaining strong and trying to stay positive this hell will pass and I'll enjoy life again and more so than I ever have before .

Dear Lex,

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. What a terrible blow at such a difficult time! I bet he would be very proud of the bravery and strength you're showing right now.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Thank you so much Patricia . He was a great dad,though he was stubborn and wasnt very tactful sometimes ( if he thought you were being stupid, hed let you know ) not much of a sugar coater, but he meant well and was loving. You have definitely helped keep my hopes up too. Have been feeling really down since this new wave started since it seems hard to think and I want to get out and enjoy life so badly n be myself again. It's driving me nuts just laying around and can't do anything. Can't drive because of the derealisation. I hate putting this kind of stress on my mom . I've almost considered getting on a antidepressant I tried in 2010 for 3 months to see if it could get me out of this prison it feels like I'm in , but dunno . I want to be med free. I was a normal functioning dude until my panic attack. And all these new symptoms are causing me to feel completely unlike myself . Least bout 2 weeks ago I was having kinda bad symptoms but I could still drive and had some joy . Me n my mom actually even went to the casino a couple times n had fun . But now it's like I can't do anything . And it's bright n sunny outside n can't stand to be inside. Sorry , just having a hard time right now , I'm feeling very impatient and just want this over . Never thought I'd say it, but I miss having a job n working ha . But yes , I pray we both fully heal from these medicines and regain our lives back . Guess on the bright side it's winter and so I guess I'm not missing a whole lot as far as outside fun in the sun , but if I'm not better come spring dunno what I'll do . I'm looking forward to getting out and going fishing with the family , which if you were in Oklahoma I'd invite ya along. And good to hear rogue one was great by the way , guess I might be waiting till it comes out on bluray. Hope you're having a great day and enjoy some outside time for me

Guess I might be giving citalopram a try to see if I can get my mind n body stabilised . Feel completely disconnected today and feelings and emotions all mixed up , and everything seems strange to me , it's almost like my own mom is unfamiliar to me . Just pray that this is the right decision and at some point I'll be able to come off the citalopram too and with these symptoms from hell

I got out for a while yesterday. Had to go to the grocery store. Hate going to the grocery store. Get so overwhelmed and lost. I ended up forgetting 1/4th of my list. Poor dog had to eat cat food this morning because we were completely out and that was one of the things I forgot.

I was a different person before I started these drugs. So confident and active, The though of being overwhelmed by a grocery store wouldn't have made any sense to that woman. Thing was that back then, nothing was ever enough for me. I constantly felt like I needed to do more, be more. I think it was partially the pressure I put on myself that led to the anxiety and depression that caused me to seek help. Unfortunately the only help available came in the form of poison.

Withdrawal is teaching me to accept and even appreciate things in a way that I never could when I was more active. I wrote a little more about this in my most recent posts in my intro.

I believe things will improve for all of us. Like I said before, I've witnessed too much change in this past year to think that any of this is permanent, but the only time I have any control over is this moment, right now. I'm learning to take it for what it is and make the best of it. Even if that means just sitting on the couch and watching TV. Hey, at least I have Netflix!

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

I'm so sorry to hear that . I definitely relate . I had no issue driving in bumper to bumper traffic or packed out clubs or stores ( except on black Friday) before I had that stupid panic attack due to over drinking. N I was laid back n witty n very loving and compassionate before all this . Now I just feel like a shell of who I use to be . But guess I learned my lesson on drinking and lexapro . I ended up taking some citalopram today, I couldn't take the withdrawal anymore , felt completely disconnected when I woke up today and felt n thought nothing except depression over my circumstance . And it freaked me out that my mom feels like a stranger to me , and I love my mom greatly , but had no feelings really when she cried bout the condition I'm in . And before all this I was a very sensitive guy, when my mom cried , I cried . So I went to the doctor n of course he thought everything I've been experiencing was a return or worsening of original condition n not withdrawal ha . But whatever , soon as I feel stable again I'm gonna come off this crap too but I'll taper slowly like I should of last time . Hopefully it'll go easy as last time when I even CT'ED Celexa. Just had manageable depression for like a week n I was over it n back to normal. But ya I pray we both see some relief n fun great days ahead symptom free

Sounds like you made a good choice for yourself by starting the citalopram. You really needed some relief, and based on your previous experience coming off it might be easier when the time comes. I have heard that it can take as long as two or three weeks to really notice an improvement in symptoms so don't be discouraged that it's not helping right away.

A recurring theme on this site seems to be time. Long holds. Slow steady tapers. The message I've gotten over and over again is that the best way to become drug-free is to give the whole process plenty of time. Heed this advice and I know you'll be just fine. :)

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Thanks so much for the support . Still miserable, but hopefully will feel better real soon . Really didn't wanna go back to meds, never needed them for a mental condition before the panic attack and it's hard for me to accept this is where I'm at now . Just praying I get stabilised and get off this crap at some point . But I'll be praying for both of us. How's your day been , doing OK?

I've been doing pretty well. Feel like I've pretty well stabilized again after my last cut. Now the side effects of the Lexapro are starting to annoy me again, but I still need to wait a few more weeks before cutting. Make sure my system has had plenty of time to even out before introducing another change. The thing is that every time I drop I get a little boost for almost a week at first before the withdrawal symptoms set in. I find myself anxious to feel that boost, and it becomes really hard to hold off even if I know it'll be better in the long run.

Oh well, for now I'll just concentrate on the ability to relax free of anxiety and akathesia, and ignore the demotivation and lethargy caused by the drug itself.

How's your day going? Any relief yet?

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Ya I seem to remember feeling good for a brief period when I'd drop my dose then withdrawal would hit me like a brick wall . But ya , just hang in there n think of how great you're gonna feel anxiety and withdrawal free. And I'm OK I guess. The 10 mg seemed to be too much and had worse anxiety issues so dropped my dose to 5mg today . Hoping I'll do fine on doses under 20mg cause I want to feel as natural as possible and experience my true emotions and not feel numb n like a zombie . If I can just be rid of the anxiety I'll probably be great. How you feeling today? Get hit by any of these ice storms ?

• Mentor

Hi LexSuks,

First off, welcome.  I am very sorry that you have to be here to begin with, but indeed glad you found us.  I am on a different medication than you but it is in the same family.  I went off cold turkey and suffered the way you are suffering.  I had to go back on medication and it did give me relief.  The relief though took me about 3 weeks, so give it time. What you are going through is truly horrible but I want to assure you that you will recover.  That doesn't help much when you are in the middle of suffering, but keep telling yourself you will feel better.   I am not a moderator here, just another person, like you, who has gone through torture.  It's been a big year for you with a lot of changes, with loosing your father the biggest.  I am so sorry.  My suggestion to you would be to keep reading as much as you can on this website, also look at other people's threads, especially the ones you think you might have something in common with. After I reinstated and quite a few ups and downs I am now in the process of a very slow taper.

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Thank you so much for the encouragement, it's definitely needed. I worry constantly about ever feeling like myself again , the way I was before the panic attack . I sure miss just being myself, I realise how blessed I was now to just be me , once I feel like myself again I'll still never drink again n let anything take it away from me . And ya , it was a hellish year last year , praying I can overcome this and concentrate on other things and live happier than I ever have . And I hope your taper goes more smoothly this time around . I don't wanna be on this med for life but sure hope neither of us go through this withdrawal hell again . Literally felt like I was starting to lose my mind n wanted to check into hospital till they got me straightened out . I would of never imagined myself having these kind of psychological problems. I'll pray for us both when alls said n done were our natural selves and happier than we've ever been . Thanks again

• Mentor

LexSuks,

Hopefully the Citalopram will help.  Also you might want to use the following link which is a drug interaction checker.  If you are ever on more than one medication at a time it's a good idea to see if they interfere which each other.  It also tells you about food and alcohol interaction with medication.

https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Please keep us posted as to how you are feeling.  And yes you will feel like yourself again.  I had a lot of the same symptoms you do and I wondered the same thing.  I now feel like myself. I too wanted to check into a hospital because I thought they could fix the symptoms right away. Again, I am so sorry for the torture you are going through.

R.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Doing OK. Had a lot of anxiety and irritability this morning. Thought that had passed. Oh, well, that's what I get for thanking.

The ice storms were way west of us, thank goodness. Not supposed to be a problem here.

Be very careful with your dosing. Reinstating at such a high dose and then suddenly halving it like that can be tantamount to bouncing your brain like a rubber ball. It doesn't tend to like that very much. Pick it and stick it till things even out seems to work best for most.

If you have questions about specific dosing suggestions, I'm sure the mods would be happy to help.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

• Mentor

Hi LexSuks and PatriciaVP,

I just wanted to say I agree with Patricia about reinstating and then halving it being risky.  After I reinstated I did very similar things to what we are suggesting that you do not do. It did not work out well for me.   Sticking with something, seems to be the best course of action. Again, just my opinion. 

I know I said it before but I am saying it again, you will feel like yourself again. It just takes time. 

Patricia, I am not sure if I am reading your signature correctly, but it looks like you are currently are only on a low dose of Lexapro.  Good for you. I'll read your thread to find out more.  I am working my way down with Zoloft, after a very difficult time last summer.

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Thanks for looking out for me Patricia and Susan, I really appreciate the support . I'm sticking with 5 mg . The 2 days I took 10mg seemed to be too much since I got some not so good reactions to it . 5mg hasn't been too bad. I still feel disconnected , anxious, and derealisation... but maybe not as bad . Driving me nuts feeling like a stranger to myself n having anxiety about driving anywhere cause that's so not me , even though it's crappy out, still can't stand being stuck in house all the time , very depressing n frustrating. But some good news is at least I have been able to somewhat enjoy some Xbox past couple days though my concentration n derealisation do hinder me a bit . How you 2 doing now ?

So have you been hit with the ice storms I've been seeing on the news? Looks pretty bad. I'm OK. Still feeling some withdrawal so I know I need to wait a good while before continuing the taper, but that's OK. It will even out. Always does. Just have to be patie.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Sorry you're still having withdrawal symptoms, I pray it gets easier for you . How long you been taking a dose before you taper down? After what I'm going through I'm almost considering once I get stabilised if I'll just have to taper a tiny bit every 5 months or something . And ya , we got hit by some of the ice but wasn't too bad. Just can't wait for spring , sunny warm weather I'm sure will be helpful in improving all our moods . I just better just not have this stupid anxiety about being out n about n driving by then . Crazy , never had anxiety about driving until these symptoms .

Does this morning anxiety ever go away ? Even when I was on the meds before I still never really woke up feeling good and normal . Man I miss those days . N this derealisation crap has gotta go to , this feeling detached from everything is really getting to me , sure hope some relief from all this is coming, been suffering every day it seems like ever since the panic attack :/

I sure hope and pray this detachment from everything goes away . Freaking me out to the point where my anxiety is up and hard to stop worrying about feeling like myself again n hard to sleep

• Mentor

Hi Lexsuks,

It's very difficult, I know.  You started the Citalopram on 1/10, that's just nine days ago, then you went down to 5 mg, I'm not sure on what date. So your medication changes are fairly new.  I've heard that it can take a few weeks to feel the effects.   I know that feeling like this for even a minute is dreadful, and when someone comes along and suggests to you that it can take time it's very hard to hear. Hang in there my friend. Are mornings still the worst time for you?  They were difficult for me. Can you still enjoy some Xbox? How about friends or family, are they listening to you? I know you and you Mom love each other based on your previous posts.  Are you able to talk with her on an ongoing basis about this?

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Ya this sucks big time when I just feel blank n without much emotion and everything seems unfamiliar n strange . But trying to cope using techniques I read about on here to get outta this hole. And ya I live with my mom so though I don't feel right I still talk to her n everything n talk a lil about how I feel but I know it upsets her cause she wants to help me out of it but not much she can do. Like me I'm sure she's really missing the me before the panic attack. And ya I've still been able to distract myself with xbox but hoping we can get out of the house a lil more, I'm sure it's not helpful being stuck in the house all day . And ya I just did the 10 mg for 2 days, could tell it was too much . Thank you so much for encouraging me , it's nice to hear from others who have been through it n know it'll pass n everything will be ok . How have you been ? You getting through ok ?

• Mentor

I started a taper yesterday. So if it's going to hit me I will start to get symptoms, perhaps tomorrow, Sunday, or Monday.  See, I've been through this so I can now see my pattern. The symptoms then tend to hang around about a week to two weeks.  Last time was brutal.  I won't go into detail, but it was physical h*ll.  Oh joy, right?  That is pure sarcasm by the way. 

Right now though, for you, you are faced with stabilizing. When I wasn't stabilized the one thing I did have to do sometimes, was force myself to get out a little each day. Are you able to walk around outside?  Is the weather a problem? If you can get out perhaps you can start with 5 minutes and see if you can work your way up? If you can't go outside can you force yourself to walk around the house?  I would set a timer and walk around the house in circles, I have a small house. Have any of your symptoms decreased or gone away since you went off Lexapro in August?

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Hey how's your taper going so far ? I'm able to get out now , but still have derealization pretty, brain fog , memory probs and anxiety , and something going on with my stomach makes it feel kinda hard to breath standing up . And when I got of lexapro I think I wasn't too bad as far as withdrawals went . Seem to remember still feeling like myself , but then they just progressingly get worse . Decided it was time to try and stabilize after about a week of being bed ridden with anxiety , couldn't go anywhere , and felt like even my own mom was familiar but unfamiliar to me . She cried about the state I'm in and normally I can't stand to see my mom cry , but really didn't feel anything . Pretty scary cause I use to be a really compassionate caring guy but this crap has stolen who I am from me for the moment .