SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Buccaneers47: Antipsychotic medication advice

Buccaneers47

• Administrator

Welcome, Buccaneer.

It does sound like you are sensitive to psychiatric drugs. Going on and off them is hard on your nervous system.

How do you experience OCD? How do you experience akathisia? When do you get akathisia?

How do you experience homicidal ideation?

Do you have help with your child at home? Do you have a childhood history of abuse or abandonment? Have you ever seen a psychotherapist?

What is your drug schedule? Please keep daily notes of your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Please be very steady on your drug schedule.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

It's been a while since I have come on this site.

I experience OCD that I have a harm thought, which makes me freak out and have a panic attack. I do not always get akathisia, in the physical sense but when I am stressed.

When I experience the homocidal ideation it varies. Sometimes I am at home thinking about it and sometimes I'm out and about and the thought pops in. The crazy part is the harm OCD is still somewhat there. I did not experience anything like this until meds were introduced. it seems as though I started having delusional thinking once these meds were introduced.

I do have help with my son, as my family is very close and my sister moved in. The only downfall to that is that I get HI towards her too. It's genuinely crazy what these medications can do. I was never abused, but abandoned I would say for my emotional needs. My mom suffered from depression so she would be in bed a lot, and my dad left at the age of 15 and came out gay. He didn't see us for over 2 years.

I'm currently about a little less than half of my Seroquil (25mg) tablet. I take that at night.

I am also taking B12 and Coq10 and RNA.

I do take about 1mg of Xanax daily to help with the thoughts.

The symptoms I am dealing with is just severe memory issues, almost like dementia. I had a little memory loss with the OCD but nothing like this. I also deal with moments of rage and anger for no reason. I lack emotion, although I do cry sometimes. Some days I am fairly okay to work through this stuff, and some days I am like a potato. It's actually quite frustrating that (although the OCD was ruining my life) it was NOTHING of this. I genuinely have no energy to do anything at all. Nothing. I can't snap back into reality either. Symptoms of withdrawal?

10/28: khlonopin .50 mg (taken very sparingly)

11/25-11/27:Ambilify 1mg

11/27-11/29: Risperidal .5 mg

11/29-12/2: Risperidal 1mg

12/2-12/1:Riperidal .5 mg

12/1-12/23: Seroquil 25mg

12/1-12/5: Prozac 10mg

12/23-1/3: Zyprexa 5mg

1/3- :Seroquil 50mg

1/4: Xanax .50mg

Currently on 37.5 mg Seroquil, Xanax .5 mg used as needed typically 4

days a week.

• Moderator Emeritus

What you describe is likely a withdrawal symptom. You may want to consider holding at your current dose for several months. When you resume tapering, making smaller dose reductions seems wise.

Brain fog; blank mind; comprehension, cognitive and memory problems. (updated to working link)

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases.

Example of brassmonkey slide -- another way to taper more slowly

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Scallywag, the first link you posted did not work.

I don't really have the option to continue to keep at this dose for several months. I only have enough to last the 6 weeks of weaning that I was suggested to do. I have been tapering pretty slowly, but quicker than the 10% decreases for weeks.

days a week.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've corrected the link. ... And tested it. -_-

Is your supply of Seroquel limited because of doctor issues or budget issues?

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Doctor issues unfortunately. They want to add, boy take away even though it's obvious that it's the meds that have caused this

days a week.

• Moderator Emeritus

The doctor who's prescribing for you isn't open to you tapering more slowly? Is this about Seroquel, Xanax or both?

There may some helpful ideas in these topics:

How do you talk to your doctor about tapering and withdrawal.

What to expect from your doctor about withdrawal symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Buccaneers - 

I'm so horribly sorry to hear what you have been going through.  

There have been others here who have been through the same HI that you describe, as a symptom of the drug or withdrawal.

I confess to being a little confused:  frequently you say you never had these obsessions before the drugs - and yet - you say you were given these drugs because of obsession.

So my understanding of your story is:  you had PPOCD, went to a program, they gave you the drugs, and you got worse?

I just read an article (I'm so sorry, I can no longer find it - it was on MadInAmerica.com or rxisk.org) that indicates if an antipsychotic is not working, it is likely that no antipsychotics will "work" in your case.  This is the mistake your doctor made, and I wish I could find that article for you to send to your doctor to prevent further drugging.

It is difficult to imagine what you are going through - and vitally important that you find new coping mechanisms to add to your toolkit.

Look at it this way - you've been suffering from this extreme condition for awhile now - and yet - you haven't harmed anyone.  The thoughts are there, charged with emotion - and yet, you have not harmed anyone.  You are stronger than you know.

There are many cognitive and mindfulness techniques to help "unstick" these sticky thoughts.

Change the Channel

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/thoughts.htm

Redirect with Timothy Wilson - Video

the mindfulness techniques start with your body and breath.  Breathing, you notice the sensation of your breath - in your nose, your sinuses, your throat, your lungs.  Feeling your chest and belly move with each breath.  Engage all of your senses.  What do you hear?  What do you smell?  What are you touching?

I have seen good results with having a piece of soft cloth or a small plush toy, that you can carry.  When you start to feel sticky, feel the toy.  Feel the texture of it on your fingertips.  Breathe, as you immerse yourself in the feelings in your fingertips.

More here:

Mindfulness and Acceptance

Mindfulness Meditation - Quick 15 minute Stress Relief

and, I always like Jon Kabat-Zinn:

Jon Kabat-Zinn Body Scan

As far as your tapering goes, it does seem to me that your worst symptoms are from all of the drug changes.  But if you are limited and have to come off quickly, and you are afraid doctors will overdrug you, it is not a horrible thing, to come off of 25 mg Seroquel.

The main problem I see for you - is what will you do with the symptoms - how will you accept and make peace, so that these thoughts are no longer ruining your life?  That is why I have offered some techniques which may help you through the transition from drugged to undrugged.

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!