SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

shellyfrompa about me 1/7/17

shellyfrompa

i took celexa or citaophram or lexapro for over 20 yearson the advice of my dr i had cried in his office he thought i could feel better

i stopped taking it 20mg cokd turkey about 5 days ago the only thing hsppening is a clumk sound in my head usually if i am walking it sounds like a car driving iver a manhole cover

Hi Shelly.  I'm so sorry you're in this fix but you have landed in a place of support. We can help to guide you through this.

The first step is to please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Drugs/ dates/ dosages & discontinuations - so that we can see your situation easily whenever you post and help more accurately. It appears below each of your posts. We are mainly interested in what medications you have been taking in the last 18 months if you can't remember your whole history.

What was the last medication you were on - drug / dose ?

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

It sounds like you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms . This link will help to explain a little more about that :

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Reinstatement of a little of your last medication is an option at this point. As it has been only 5 days it is worth considering as a way of helping to alleviate symptoms and soften the withdrawal process. Some have success and others don't but it pays to be informed of the possibility at this point.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

I'll leave it at that for now as it's a lot to take in. Read the links and come back with further questions of which I'm sure there will be many.

This is your thread to ask questions, find help and journal progress. Bookmark it so you will find it more easily. Click " Follow" above so that you will be notified when someone responds in your thread.

Welcome to SA.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Welcome Shelly

In the yrs in which  i took paxil i had two occasions were i went on holiday for 3 or 4 days and forgot to take my pills.

After the second time i made sure that error would never happen again for i always ensured when i went away from then on that i placed some pills in the suitcase some in my hand luggage and some in my wallet.

If it is correct that you CT 20mg of citalopram after 20 yrs use just 5 days ago then in my opinion if i was you and knowing what may well be coming down the CT pipeline i would reinstate to your normal dose of citalopram immediately.

The good folk here at sa can later walk you through a safe taper.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi Shelly,

Good you found this forum at this early stage of cold turkey!

I pd like to chime in to support the idea of reinstate. Time is very critical for the best results of reinstate ( in terms of number of days) and best is to reinstate before your system is shocked which means no bad symptoms appear. Considering the short time you have been off the meds and the limited symptom, I agree with nz11 for a full dose reinstate before a proper taper plan.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

About a year ago i knocked a wasps nest the size of a small soccor ball out of a tree in the garden. It sat on the ground for a couple of weeks until i came to mow the grass. I decided i would put the mower over it. Silly me!! I hopped and skipped and jumped my way back to the front door of the house in terror and couldnt get the door open fast enough. I spent the rest of the day inside self-soothing and trying to get some relief from the pain in the back of my neck and legs were i had been stung numerous times. I reflected at the time that this was a little bit like ssri withdrawal with one difference. 

In ssri wdl the wasps arent external to you. They are residing in your head.

Does your doctor know that you have CT-ed maybe he told you to CT or perhaps you just decided to do that  yourself.

Withdrawal symptoms can be delayed several weeks or often a month or two.

We all think that we are the exception until the tide starts to reappear on the horizon.

Please read the links AliG gave you. And Lex is right you are so lucky you found sa at this time.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017