SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

celery: coming off risperidone, does anyone have tips for tapering of risperidone 2mg

celery

hello,everybody. im verygrateful i found this site.it is so informative and helpful. can anyone give as many tips for coming of/tapering  from risperidone?

I currently take 2mg of risperidone and i have seen my doctor and she has agreed to allow me to taper from the drug.

Any reccomendations in terms of diet,sleep and rest would be grateful especially in response to the withdrawal period. Im eating well and including good nutrition in my diet such as beans,meat fish, eggs and plenty of vegetables as well as plenty of complex carbohydrates.My diet is not restrictive. I also drink milk. I also now eat alot of good fats like coconut oil,omega 3. I eat a very nutritious diet and im aware that diet is very important.

I also know that sleep deprivation is something to be aware of  and that i need to sleep well and sleep long enough. I also make sure i rest. i do yoga, aqua aerobics and pilates so i do activities that are helping my mind and well being.

My living situation is very good and i feel safe though i live on my own. i dont smoke,i dont drink any form of alcohol, and i dont drink fizzy drinks. i also dont drink tea or coffeee. I drink herbal teas.

Any useful information that offers more clarity and insight would be very beneficial as well as supportive. Thank you Celery

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks and tags

I have been taking 2mg of Risperidone since January 2000. Since January 11 2017 I have been tapering off 2mg of Risperidone with the assistance of my doctor. My doctor has been very supportive. I now take 2mg of risperidone and 1.5 mg of Risperidone on alternate days. This will continue for the next 7 weeks. Then I will meet up via appointment to check in with my doctor to discuss how I am feeling and then discuss the next stage of tapering and find out what may be the right dose for me. I have had 2 admissions into hospital in the past 17 years. Once in 2002 and once in 2008 due to tapering which was done in my opinion in a way that was unlikely to benefit me the patient as I was not fully prepared for it and I did not have the self-awareness that I do now. Though in some ways I admit that I was not fully ready for it! At the moment I feel very well and I'm coping well. 

Kind Regards

Celery

hello,everybody. im verygrateful i found this site.it is so informative and helpful. can anyone give as many tips for coming of/tapering  from risperidone? I currently take 2mg of risperidone and i have seen my doctor and she has agreed to allow me to taper from the drug. Any reccomendations in terms of diet,sleep and rest would be grateful especially in response to the withdrawal period. Im eating well and including good nutrition in my diet such as beans,meat fish, eggs and plenty of vegetables as well as plenty of complex carbohydrates.My diet is not restrictive. I also drink milk. I also now eat alot of good fats like coconut oil,omega 3. I eat a very nutritious diet and im aware that diet is very important. I also know that sleep deprivation is something to be aware of  and that i need to sleep well and sleep long enough. I also make sure i rest. i do yoga, aqua aerobics and pilates so i do activities that are helping my mind and well being. My living situation is very good and i feel safe though i live on my own. i dont smoke,i dont drink any form of alcohol, and i dont drink fizzy drinks. i also dont drink tea or coffeee. I drink herbal teas. Any useful information that offers more clarity and insight would be very beneficial as well as supportive. Thank you Celery

I have been taking 2mg of Risperidone since January 2000. Since January 11 2017 I have been tapering off 2mg of Risperidone with the assistance of my doctor. My doctor has been very supportive. I now take 2mg of risperidone and 1.5 mg of Risperidone on alternate days. This will continue for the next 7 weeks. Then I will meet up via appointment to check in with my doctor to discuss how I am feeling and then discuss the next stage of tapering and find out what may be the right dose for me. I have had 2 admissions into hospital in the past 17 years. Once in 2002 and once in 2008 due to tapering which was done in my opinion in a way that was unlikely to benefit me the patient as I was not fully prepared for it and I did not have the self-awareness that I do now. Though in some ways I admit that I was not fully ready for it! At the moment I feel very well and I'm coping well. 

Kind Regards

Celery

• Moderator Emeritus

Celery -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

It's great that you're investigating how to manage all the different aspects of your well-being before beginning to taper risperidone.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Any drugs prior to 18 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 8 and Post 9
It will probably be helpful for you to read these topics:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know

What is withdrawal syndrome

We suggest that people taper slowly, decreasing by no more than 10% per month, to minimize the risk withdrawal symptoms arising. Here are tapering topics relevant to your situation:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

If you want to find topics on this site, one great way to do that is using a web search engine like google or bing. Search for the topic of interest and include site:survivingantidepressants.org as a search term.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 year later...

Celery how are you going with that taper?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017