SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jaco2016: How do I do a 10% taper?

Jaco2016

Hi new to the forum here. 10 year history on various drugs for anxiety/mild depression with the longest use being 8 years of celexa. So i felt like I was stable in life and the side effects were making me crazy so I talked to my PCP about tapering. I tried to reduce the drug 5mg every 2 weeks (starting at 30 mg) and of course after I was off it was hell (physically - brain zaps, vertigo, motion sickness, etc) for the next 6 weeks until I decided to put myself back on the drug.

So I recently went back to my PCP and he recommended genesight testing to find which antidepressant would cause fewer side effects . Results came back that Wellbutrin was he best. I quite celexa cold turkey the day I started taking Wellbutrin. I'm having w/d symptoms again but not as strong - yet. It's been 3 weeks. Mood is fine but body feels bad. I'm reconsidering tapering off drugs completely again.

What should I do? Should I d/c Wellbutrin and go back to celexa and taper using 10% method? How does that work??? Should i keep up wii Wellbutrin hoping it kicks in soon and the celexa w/d goes away?

One thing that concerns me is that I've learned celexa isnamd SSRI and Wellbutrin SNRI. I've read Wellbutrin acts more on dopamine and norepinephrine than it does serotonin. This probably explains the celexa withdrawal symptoms.

I honestly don't want to go back on celexa but if that's he best chance of getting of meds altogether it might be worth!

Thanks for your support !!!

Edited by scallywag
tags

June-Current Started Pristiq 50mg 

March-June Discontinued Wellbutrin. 

February 15-March 1 2017: Taper Wellbutrin. 

December 24, 2016- Feb. 15 2017: Switched to Wellbutrin 150mg 2x/day after Genesight testing; 

August 4-December 23, 2016: Reinstate celexa

March 18-August 3, 2016: Switched to Prozac 

Feb-March 2016   Reinstate celexa

Jan-Feb 2016  Tapered 5mg/every week to 0mg

August 2015-Jan. 2016: Celexa 30mg

2008-2016: Celexa 30-40mg/day for anxiety

2006-2007: Strattera ?80mg/day + xanax

• Moderator Emeritus

Jaco -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You're asking good questions. I hope that we can point you to information so that you can feel confident about your decision. I'm glad you found us before too much time has passed.

As you discovered from a difficult withdrawal experience, it's best to taper very slowly to minimize the risk of symptoms. Here are a few links that provide lists of symptoms
What is withdrawal syndrome
Important topics about symptoms including sleep problems
Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly?

• Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Please spell out the months; 9/1 can be interpreted as Jan. 9 or Sept. 1.
  • Any drugs prior to 18 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • You don't need to include symptoms or diagnoses other than the initial condition that led to prescribing the first drug.
  • We ask for this information in your signature so that we can see it at a glance. A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 8 and Post 9

Once we hear back from you with the timeline of your medication dose changes, we'll be able to offer ideas of possible next steps for you to consider.

For the record, here are our discussion topics on both Celexa and Wellbutrin:
Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)
Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin XR, SR, XL (bupropion)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Jaco,

"So I recently went back to my PCP and he recommended genesight testing to find which antidepressant would cause fewer side effects".

This is pretty amazing, I didn't know that genesight testing was available already.  Wonder if the UK medical profession are onto it yet?  Guess its too costly for the NHS.

Welcome to SA!

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi Jaco,

"So I recently went back to my PCP and he recommended genesight testing to find which antidepressant would cause fewer side effects".

This is pretty amazing, I didn't know that genesight testing was available already.  Wonder if the UK medical profession are onto it yet?  Guess its too costly for the NHS.

Welcome to SA!

JC

Hi! Yes my PCP is a younger guy who seems to say up on the literature although he tells me "Genesight testing has been around for several years."  I guess only recently though insurance companies will pay for it.  Out of pocket it costs $250-$300. Glad to have found this forum!

December 24, 2016- Feb. 15 2017: Switched to Wellbutrin 150mg 2x/day after Genesight testing; 

Hi Jaco,

Welcome to SA!

JC

Hi! Yes my PCP is a younger guy who seems to say up on the literature although he tells me "Genesight testing has been around for several years."  I guess only recently though insurance companies will pay for it.  Out of pocket it costs $250-$300. Glad to have found this forum!

Its great to see that this is actually happening as I had heard about it.

However, given the number of people from the US on this site, their PCPs perhaps did not know about it?

Maybe its the younger PCPs these days that are more up on the area of mental health?  Before we moved back to the UK from Canada, I saw a Junior PCP who knew about WD, and the dangers of ADs.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi just posting an update. So after three weeks of switching cold turkey citalopram to Wellbutrin I'm putting myself back on 5mg citalopram today combined with Wellbutrin. I slept poorly last night - kept having dreams with motion sickness and would wake up feeling ill. I know it's only 3 weeks and I feel somewhat like a failure because I "should" be feeling ok being that I'm on another drug! I don't want to start becoming irritable and ANGRY like I did last time and the withdrawal symptoms wouldn't away! I have a wife and 4 young kids and If I want to keep my family intact I can't do any cold turkey quitting or switching.

Maybe if I taper slowly over several years.... but then again so many are posting success until that last 1mg taper then all hell breaks loose! Damn (are we allowed to swear on this board?). Damn,should I taper citalopram now from 5mg until Welllbutrin kicks in and then taper off Wellbutrin or taper off both? Wellbutrin is supposed to be more tolerable so I hope it kicks in finally with another week or two. Until then I can't stop citalopram .. damn!

Edited by scallywag
merged from new topic started

Can anyone help me find info on successful transition from celexa / citalopram to bupropion/ Wellbutrin? I searched the site without any luck . Thanks!

Edited by scallywag
merged from new topic started

Hi Jaco i think you might be hard pressed to find info on that because this site does not do drug switching recommendations.

I think one reason for that is that the literature is hopelessly poisoned and so noone really knows what these chemicals with hundreds of side effects known and unknown are actually doing. If there was a magic pill to take away wdl then im sure sa would tell us. Sadly there isnt.

Once you trigger full blown wdl all bets are off on how to get out of it. Its a crap shoot doing xyz may or may not work. 

Thats why if you read the ri link it talks about medicine only knows about a ri of the current drug to try to relieve wdl symptoms. And sa takes a harm reduction approach by recommending a low dose ri.

"Switching antidepressants is not a good strategy" Glenmullen.

Could you explain this genesight testing thing to me what does that entail and did or how did  the medical profession draw a switching is best for you conclusion out of that?? What exactly was the reasoning behind that.

So what you are saying is on the basis of some gene they have decided that wellbutrin is the drug for you and not celexa so we just CT the celexa and give you wellbutrin and hey presto we live happily ever after?

I didnt think my faith in doctors could be pushed to new lows  but i think it just has.

Sorry you are in this difficult position and at no fault of your own.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Jaco,  I've moved your posts and questions to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place. Posting here in your introduction topic is the most likely place for your questions to be both seen and answered.

Please let go of the thoughts about failing. The failure is your doctor's not yours. Citalopram (Celexa) acts on serotonin processes. Because bupropion (Wellbutrin) acts on dopamine and norepinephrine, it is extremely unlikely that a switch to Wellbutrin will assist with symptoms of discontinuing Celexa. Reinstating Celexa was a good idea.

Citalopram to Wellbutrin switches are not well documented probably for that reason. (different neurotransmitters)

Regardless of how long you plan to stay on Wellbutrin, please run an interactions report for all the medications you take: Celexa, Wellbutrin, + others(?). Follow the link below to get your report. Just select the text, copy it and paste it in a post here.
Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major

bupropion citalopram

Applies to: Buproban (bupropion), Celexa (citalopram)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with citalopram. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of citalopram, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Hi Jaco i think you might be hard pressed to find info on that because this site does not do drug switching recommendations.

I think one reason for that is that the literature is hopelessly poisoned and so noone really knows what these chemicals with hundreds of side effects known and unknown are actually doing. If there was a magic pill to take away wdl then im sure sa would tell us. Sadly there isnt.

Once you trigger full blown wdl all bets are off on how to get out of it. Its a crap shoot doing xyz may or may not work. 

Thats why if you read the ri link it talks about medicine only knows about a ri of the current drug to try to relieve wdl symptoms. And sa takes a harm reduction approach by recommending a low dose ri.

"Switching antidepressants is not a good strategy" Glenmullen.

Could you explain this genesight testing thing to me what does that entail and did or how did  the medical profession draw a switching is best for you conclusion out of that?? What exactly was the reasoning behind that.

So what you are saying is on the basis of some gene they have decided that wellbutrin is the drug for you and not celexa so we just CT the celexa and give you wellbutrin and hey presto we live happily ever after?

I didnt think my faith in doctors could be pushed to new lows  but i think it just has.

Sorry you are in this difficult position and at no fault of your own.

So apparently the gene testing allows to find the "best match" of AD for your gene type. Wellbutrin, pristine and fetzima were all the best and Citaloscam was one of the worst matches for me. By best match I think less chances of the worst side effects like weight gain and loss of libido etc. the doc swabbed the inside of my mouth and sent the sample to a lab and within a week I had results.

When he told me to go CT off celexa I thought it's be ok because I thought I had read that Wellbutrin was it only an SNRI but also affected serotonin as well as dopamine and norepinephrine. I'm thinking that it doesn't block reuptake of serotonin like I thought I'd at all!

Are we allowed to swear on this forum?! Anyone else have a hard time with anger because of just the persistence and apparent no end of w/d? How do you function in intellectually demanding work?? I pray for the courage I will need to face each coming day .. and to find ways to cope with what could be a long drawn out process !!

On a positive note I had sex with my wife today and the sensation was absolutely incredible! I can't believe how numb my penis had become while on citaloscam!!

I wonder if the  lab testing centre is blind to what you were currently taking.

I wonder if they ever rec a drug to someone and then discovered  thats the drug they are already on!

I wonder if this genesight thing is another way to mislead patients into believing that the drug recommended doesnt carry any risks as is in fact associated with ALL the ads like say sucidality and mania and ...

I wonder if genesight is simply another take on the flawed tailoring hypothesis

I wonder if we scratch the surface we will find pharma (GSK?) money behind this genesight thing.

I wonder how doctors can be such academic giants and yet so disappointing at the same time!

I wonder how  'do not stop abruptly' can be so easily discarded  and become irrelevant

i wonder....if doctors are really being clear with themselves and their patients on drug identification not by gene type or treatment function but by pharmacological classification and properties including adverse drug effects.

i wonder if.....

wishing you strength for the journey ahead

sorry about my wonderings.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Many instances of swearing will be censored automatically with asterisks, e.g. ****. Remaining instances will likely be removed by a forum moderator or site administrator.

If you want to let loose, feel free in Lalochezia - the cursing thread.

scallywag's Introduction

Great I'm glad there is a place we can swear!! It's funny but swearing seems to somehow help me cope with the w/d symptoms- it's like a sensory stimulation or distraction thing or something... or I have Tourette's!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone had advice for tapering Wellbutrin after only

two months use? I'm assuming go in 10% increments... should I do 10% every

couple weeks, faster? I'm thinking reduce every two-four weeks and then go more slowly

as needed if I feel withdrawal s/e but wanted to see if anyone else has any advice

before proceeding.

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi jaco,

I've merged your new moved your new topic to your original Intro/Update topic.  Each member has 1 Intro topic where they can post questions and journal their progress.  This keeps your history in one place.

I'm unable to answer your question, but hopefully one of the other mods will pop in soon.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

So just to provide an update I'm now off all drugs. I'm having my windows and waves . Nothing too terrible

physically thank Heaven but what is really bothering me is APATHY and anhedonia! I honestly don't have

interests that I once had- sports, movies, reading, etc. I feel content to just sit and do nothing lol.

A

Hey jan,

just searched anhedonia to find more people with this. I have terrible anhedonia most of the time but there are occasional windows....I average a half-normal day once every two weeks where i might enjoy a movie/music/reading/sports...but apart from that nothing!.....but it seems alot of people go through this...but it ain't easy!

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20....stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...mid novemeber 2016 , began taper.....very small windows of emotion...Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks in ealry 2016.......doubting recovery......

BIG WINDOW IN july 2017, felt incredible, lasted a month or so, felt close to recovered...window left, september to Chrimstas 17 was anhedonic hell.....Turn of the year, January 2018, some very strong days (a window) offering renewed hope

back to hell until late February 2018, strong 10 day window....followed by anhedonic wave for 7 months straight! not a flicker of normalcy

September 2018 ...incredible window...followed by three month wave.January 2019.... a strong window

window subsided, but new baseline was higher.....life since January 2019 ( 9 months and counting) has been far better. Complete anhedonia is gone!! God, I've tears writing that. I am far from recovered, but far from hell...to use a scale, if life is rated out of a hundred, I was about minus 50 for the majority of 2 years..I know feel about 30 per cent of self, experiences intermittent flickers of normal life regularly....My days have more quality and I am optimistic of recovery. 

how long do you have anhedonia???

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20....stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...mid novemeber 2016 , began taper.....very small windows of emotion...Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks in ealry 2016.......doubting recovery......

BIG WINDOW IN july 2017, felt incredible, lasted a month or so, felt close to recovered...window left, september to Chrimstas 17 was anhedonic hell.....Turn of the year, January 2018, some very strong days (a window) offering renewed hope

back to hell until late February 2018, strong 10 day window....followed by anhedonic wave for 7 months straight! not a flicker of normalcy

September 2018 ...incredible window...followed by three month wave.January 2019.... a strong window

window subsided, but new baseline was higher.....life since January 2019 ( 9 months and counting) has been far better. Complete anhedonia is gone!! God, I've tears writing that. I am far from recovered, but far from hell...to use a scale, if life is rated out of a hundred, I was about minus 50 for the majority of 2 years..I know feel about 30 per cent of self, experiences intermittent flickers of normal life regularly....My days have more quality and I am optimistic of recovery. 

Too long. I never had anhedonia until getting off this drug a month ago. I feel miserable, I hate my job. I have very little interest in

anything. I don't know how much longer I can do this

• Moderator Emeritus

Jaco, I wish we could tell you WHEN the anhedonia will lift; we can only tell you that it will at some point.

scallywag's Introduction

I have been doing a bit of reading on this and it seems we can to some extent influence or mood by our thoughts, so the theory is that we must be active, doing things that used to make us happy, and replace negative thoughts with positive ones (even if it is difficult, it's important to try.)  These positive actions and thoughts lift our mood, and the more we do this, the more positive and happier we can be.

I appreciate having been there that when going through the depths of withdrawal, it might not be a "cure-all", but even when we are at our lowest, trying to think of and do things as much as we can that give (or in the past) gave us pleasure can actually help lift anhedonia and our emotions.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

I have been doing a bit of reading on this and it seems we can to some extent influence or mood by our thoughts, so the theory is that we must be active, doing things that used to make us happy, and replace negative thoughts with positive ones (even if it is difficult, it's important to try.)  These positive actions and thoughts lift our mood, and the more we do this, the more positive and happier we can be.

I appreciate having been there that when going through the depths of withdrawal, it might not be a "cure-all", but even when we are at our lowest, trying to think of and do things as much as we can that give (or in the past) gave us pleasure can actually help lift anhedonia and our emotions.

Thanks Madeleine I appreciate your comments. I like CBT and that sounds very much like CBT - feelings result from thoughts as well as actions so try and change both to feel better. I haven't exercised in a while and that's something I used to enjoy so I may have to try

that again and hopefully some good feelings will follow. Also may try reading some professional literature. I used to get a great deal of satisfaction from this but now i loathe what I do in part because I have difficulty concentrating . Maybe if I force myself I can rewire my brain to start liking it again.

Ok I'm h

Jaco, I wish we could tell you WHEN the anhedonia will lift; we can only tell you that it will at some point.

Ok I'm holding you to this !

On 2017-03-28 at 0:54 PM, Madeleine said:

Today I did something at my job that I've done many times before flawlessly and I was startled

by how challenging it was to do in the current state I'm in. I had to walk myself through each step. It was like I had been paralyzed

and am learning how to walk again. It was the strangest thing!

Edited by scallywag
no edit, goofed again with upgraded software

• Moderator Emeritus

I have times at work when I have to talk to myself as I'm doing something.  It's like my brain can't process it internally, possibly the short term memory, but talking through it, it seems easier to do.  Maybe it's because I'm using a different part of my brain, but not sure if it's to do with speaking, hearing or both.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of another week of constant anxiety. I'm taking St. John's wort, seeing a counselor and trying to use CBT on my own but I'm struggling with constant anxiety that greatly increased with an interpersonal conflict that my coworker has initiated with me.  

Can someone comment on magnesium for anxiety?  

I need something as I'm afraid of spiraling back into depression as I have in times past before I started taking medication. 

Thanks 

Edited by scallywag
merged from new topic started in Symptoms forum

Hi J -

So sorry to hear that you are in anxiety wave. We have all been there - more times than we want to remember.

First off, know that it will end. Secondly, work your tools during anxiety waves, especially mindful breathing.

Here is the link to the main magnesium thread: 

In general, many of us have success with magnesium. It's a matter of finding the right dose, the right type, and the right schedule.

It is a long and useful thread. But if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help you through the weeds or point you to a more knowledgeable source.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

20 hours ago, ShakeyJerr said:

Hi J -

So sorry to hear that you are in anxiety wave. We have all been there - more times than we want to remember.

First off, know that it will end. Secondly, work your tools during anxiety waves, especially mindful breathing.

Here is the link to the main magnesium thread: 

In general, many of us have success with magnesium. It's a matter of finding the right dose, the right type, and the right schedule.

It is a long and useful thread. But if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help you through the weeds or point you to a more knowledgeable source.

SJ

Thanks SJ I appreciate it. I'm going to buy some magnesium today and try to find right dosage.  Is there a thread on St. John's wort dosage as well on here?

I know that this is not a wave- I've dealt with this anxiety all of my life and so I'm very familiar with it - now trying to find natural ways to deal with it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Jaco, we have a topic on Tapering OFF St. John's Wort (Hypericum), nothing that talks about recommended doses.

scallywag's Introduction

• Mentor

you might want to try glycine

I know a lot of supplements don't work for us in WD and some work once or a few times and then not again

personally I"m getting a lot of relief from taking glycine, I take 1g at night, 1 in the middle of the night when I wake up and one later on when I am ready to start my day

Some days I only take 2, if I feel good enough when I get up

It comes in a powder form so you can take much smaller doses to see if it helps. That way you can reduce the risk of it causing some problem for you, although I don't think I've heard of anyone having a problem with it.

But that means nothing, basically, because I've never gone looking for any problems with glycine

It's an amino acid that is found in a lot of foods. For me it just helps with anxiety and seems to help me to sleep more deeply.

good luck

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
2 hours ago, Jaco2016 said:

I'm going to buy some magnesium today and try to find right dosage

The general recommendation is start low. What our bodies used to tolerate, we don't right now.

I used to take 400 mg of Magnesium-Citrate for years with zero problems. But in recovery (I no longer am going to call it "withdrawal") that dose not only had a paradoxical effect, I found my guts would not longer tolerate the citrate form. I switched to Magnesium-Glycinate, which seems to be milder on the stomach - and has the added benefit of having glycine in it, which some people here have also found helpful. I bought 100mg veggie caps - I take one cap in the morning and one before bed, and the other one I open into my daytime water bottle and sip on it over the course of several hours.

Let us know how it goes for you.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

I can't switch to full version of the website and can't see signatures .. por que??

• Moderator Emeritus

Jaco, I've moved your post/question to your introduction topic for now.   We're a one-intro-topic-per-member kinda site. 

If you navigate to the Signature Settings page, you'll see a switch/button to view signatures. If it's showing grey, then just click it and you'll then be able to see all members' signatures. Here's the link:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

scallywag's Introduction