SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Have been on multiple anti-psychotic drugs for the past 8 years. Had a nervous breakdown, was put on anti-psychotic. Tried coming off before knowing any better. Now on Risperdal Consta 37.5mg. Want to switch to Risperidone tablets or liquid. Have lost all emotions, become lifeless and constantly tired. Want to get my life back. Read on the forum about switch. Would 37.5 mg injection be equivalent to 3mg tablets or 3ml liquid started 5 weeks after last injection? Has anyone successfully made a switch and tapered off Risperdal? Thank you for any help. Also does anyone know of a good doctor in NJ who may be able to help?

Edited by scallywag
tags

Various meds from 2000 Jan

Risperdal Consta from Sep 2013 25.0mg

Increased to 37.5 in June 2015

Increased to 50.0mg in Sep 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Sky -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Your question is a good one. There are several people switching from injected formulation to oral formulations (liquid, tablets, capsules). I can't remember if they are taking Risperdal or another a/p medication. I've added tags to your topic "Risperdal" and "risperidone." Clicking on one or the other will do a search for all threads with that tags; you will get a list of introduction topics of folks who are tapering or have tapered Risperdal.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 9 and Post 10

Have a look at the posts in this topic to see if there's a doctor in New Jersey:
Recommended doctors, therapists, or clinics.

There is information in the Risperdal topic about switching from injection to tablets. Although you may have read this already, I'll post a link to the topic on Risperdal:
Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone).

I've been looking for dose equivalency information for risperdal consta vs. the tablets, as you probably have. I haven't found anything yet but will post if and when I do.

edited to add: from the Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy (cited in the risperdal tapering thread)

There are no ideal conversion ratios from oral dosages to long-acting preparations ...For risperidone, 25 mg long-acting preparation is equivalent to about 2 to 3 mg oral risperidone. Because these conversions are only approximate, individual dosage adjustments will have to be made.

The timing sounds right, about 5 weeks after last injection. Using the same approximation as quoted, 37.5 mg Consta would be equivalent to 3 - 4.5 mg oral risperidone.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Edited by ChessieCat
corrected doctor link

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your help. I did find some information on switching from Risperdal Consta to tablets however not sure if someone was successful.

If anyone has successfully done so can you please help?

Being forced on involuntary medication. Injected forcefully with 50mg Risperdal Consta. This post is for a relative of mine. I cannot understand how the world can be so barbaric and cruel and force drugs into patients without any regards to their health. I can go on and on about it however I have come to realize that there are millions of people in the same boat.

Thank you so very much for the administrators and owners of this site. There is a wealth of knowledge found here.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm a bit confused: Are both your posts about your relative? Or is one about you and one about your relative?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Sorry to confuse you. Both posts are for a relative.

• 1 year later...

Sky320 how Are you doing today? 

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Risperdal consta 37,5 mg 2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018