Trisha: New here

Trisha

Hello everyone, I figured I'd introduce myself. I have been on effexor for quite awhile. I am going to slowly start to wean off of it starting next month. I have read so much bad about this medication. It doesn't help me, it just makes me not to feel emotions.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Hello Trisha.

I am not on effexor and am also new here. I am on Luvox but I also greatly lost my hability to feel emotions other than sadness, despair and that kind of things.

I am at a point in my life that I can't be of great help to you but I am sure the amazing people here will.

I just want to wish you well on your journey and that all your good emotions come back to you as soon as possible. We will all be happy again I hope.

Hugs.

2001 - 2004 (9yrs to 12 yrs old): Clomipramine (don't remember dosage).

2013: Sertraline on September but stopped after two weeks. Xanax for 3 months (late september to december). Two days of terrible withdrawal insomnia and panic but stopped.

2014 - 2015: Luvox 50mg (february 2014 to june 2015).

2015 - 2016: Luvox 25mg (june 2015 to april 2016). Started to taper in April, taking one every other day for a week, one every two days. Severe dp/dr, anxiety and panic attacks.

2016 - 2017: Reinstated Luvox 50mg in June. Started to feel very depressed and anhedonia. Thoughts of suicide that scared me.

January 2017: stared tapering Luvox.

(Gradually reducing 1/8 of the pill, 6.25mg each time (every 4 to 6 weeks) - 12% of original dose, because my taper was going well and couldn't cut pill into smaller bits)

July 2017: 25mg

(Reduced 1/8 of the pill, equivalent to 6.25mg - 12% of original dose)

August 2017: 18.75mg

October 2017: 18.75mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Trisha,

You will find many people here to relate to, and also lots of information to help you taper safely.  I am currently tapering effexor and have begun to feel much better over the last year or so. 

Before you begin tapering. 

We recommend a gentle taper, reducing by no more than 10% of your current dose each month.  This allows your brain time to adjust as you go, and lessens any withdrawal.  Many people find Fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal. 

Keep it simple; Keep it slow; keep it stable.has general tapering tips which are good to understand before you begin.

Tips for Tapering Effexor

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature – all drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately. Thanks.

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.