If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone decided that it was best for them to stay on meds indefinitely?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jaco2016

Jaco2016

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:20 AM

This may not be the best place to post this question but I'm going to try it here.

Currently I'm in the process w/d from celexa as my MD switched me CT to Wellbutrin after doing Genesight testing. I'm definitely never going back to celexa but I'm wondering if/when i will ever be able to get off Wellbutrin in the future.

A psychiatrist has told me that my "genes are loaded" with propensity for mental illness.
Indeed they are - one aunt, one grandma, and one great grandma with schizophrenia.
Two parents both with undiagnosed anxiety disorders. A brother and sister who are both hypochondriacs.
Myself I've felt like I've always had social anxiety but no psychosis. I always just dealt with it because I didn't know it was "abnormal." I sought meds when I had some mild depression in college from being unable to relax and overworking myself trying to get straight A's. I also met my fiancé at that time which caused severe general worry about the future. When I got my first job out of school I had my first panic attack. All that time I was off and on meds. Citalopram seemed to be the only thing to help until the side effects became intolerable. I had a bit of counseling but not enough I think, to learn how to cope with excessive worry, overworking myself, and inability to relax. Those are traits I would say I've always had!

Deep down I feel like getting off meds altogether is best but I'm not sure.. it's been 8+years on meds so I've almost forgotten what I what I felt lik before, and maybe scared to find out ! I may be a point on my life that I can devote more time to therapy and I feel like if someone can learn how to cope with withdrawal successfully than ironically maybe they can cope with the relatively less difficult challenge of what got them on meds in the first place.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your support!

March 1, 2017-Present Discontinued Wellbutrin. Drug free DAY 1 - so far so good!!

February 15-March 1 2017: Tapering Wellbutrin. Now down from 150mg 2x/day to 75mg 1x/day; some w/d

December 24, 2016- Feb. 15 2017: Switched to Wellbutrin 150mg 2x/day after Genesight testing; currently in w/d from Celexa. Wellbutrin side effects: constipation, mild weight loss, vivid dreams

August 4-December 23, 2016: Reinstated Citalopram 30mg due to onset of depressive symptoms from Prozac.

March 18-August 3, 2016: Switched to Prozac 30mg

Feb-March 2016  After 5 weeks of severe withdrawal reinstated Celexa

Jan-Feb 2016  Tapered 5mg/every week to 0mg

August 2015-Jan. 2016: Celexa 30mg. (side effects: REM sleep behavior disorder, severe constipation, etc, etc.)

Prior drug history:

2008-2016: Celexa 30-40mg/day after severe panic attack after accidental CT from Strattera and Xanax

2006-2007: Strattera ?80mg/day for "ADD" in college, Xanax 2mg as needed for anxiety

#2 Jaco2016

Jaco2016

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:07 AM

I should also say that I do appreciate all the success stories that have been shared - I'm inspired by the perseverance and courage of those who are either trying to get off meds and those who have successfully gotten off meds.

March 1, 2017-Present Discontinued Wellbutrin. Drug free DAY 1 - so far so good!!

February 15-March 1 2017: Tapering Wellbutrin. Now down from 150mg 2x/day to 75mg 1x/day; some w/d

December 24, 2016- Feb. 15 2017: Switched to Wellbutrin 150mg 2x/day after Genesight testing; currently in w/d from Celexa. Wellbutrin side effects: constipation, mild weight loss, vivid dreams

August 4-December 23, 2016: Reinstated Citalopram 30mg due to onset of depressive symptoms from Prozac.

August 2015-Jan. 2016: Celexa 30mg. (side effects: REM sleep behavior disorder, severe constipation, etc, etc.)

Prior drug history:

2008-2016: Celexa 30-40mg/day after severe panic attack after accidental CT from Strattera and Xanax

2006-2007: Strattera ?80mg/day for "ADD" in college, Xanax 2mg as needed for anxiety

#3 Mort81

Mort81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

It's a tough decision to make, because going off meds can be extremely hard even done the right slow way. It's usually not your old condition you need to be worried about. It's the WD symptoms that can be 100x worse and last months to Years. .

Flip side is what do these drugs do you longterm? What kinds of serious problems does a person run into for being on these drugs. It can be quite a list and obviously coming off sooner rather than later makes it easier,
although possibly not easy at all.

Another thing is some people come off meds fast and have no WD symptoms. In fact probably more people than not have an easy time coming off. Which is probably why so many people are misdiagnosed.

It's very complicated and hard. Some people have no choice but to stop from dangerous side effects. Once anybody decides to try one of these drugs they are taking a major risk. I could never recommend anybody ever take one of these pills. But once they start it, it gets complicated. If I could go back in time I'd have seen a naturopath and made several life style changes for my situational anxiety than have taken this horrible drug. We live and learn and unfortunately trust a corrupt system with a brainwashed doctor.
Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th Clonazapam. Currently 0.10mg daily. PPI Dexlant 20-30mg for last 29 months currently at 30mg

#4 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

My own experience tells me that when we override our body's signals that we are doing too much, that our body's start to shut down,  In my case, I over-rode my body telling me I was over working and fhsn over giving when I took care of my mom.   My nervous system and adrenals were shot and that's on top of a stressful upbringing that had me in a chronic state of stress.

Chronic stress, violence both physical and emotional, wear the body down.  It's my belief that when the body gets worn down, it eventually can't produce what it needs in order to function.  Every system gets taxed and that's when depression and anxiety occur.

I agree with you Mort, if I had been able to stop the madness of my life style and make changes in body, mind and spirit, I truly believe I could have avoided collapsing and then making the horrific but critical choice to go on meds to stop my mental free fall. 

I  now believe that healing happens both from the inside and outside.  Stabilizing the body, and then using what ever form of self-reflection that fits, to stop behavior that works against us.  The ultimate lesson for me is that my depressive episode caused me to face the very things I needed to face in order to have a better life. 

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 6 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 4 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs 

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: Tapering both medications together using micro cuts. Started tapering Remeron in January 2015,  Started tapering Lamictal July 2015 Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety. 12/21/16 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs  3/4/17 Remeron 0.85  Lamictal 21.25 3/14 Remeron 0.85  Lamictal 20mgs

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200  Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#5 powerback

powerback

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

HI jaca,u make a very interesting point,my own situation at the moment is very worrying .

I have horrendous depression and other symptoms the last month that I didn't think was possible and I'm wondering about going on a different drug to stop this,I'm not happy at all with this possibility but it's so bad I can't look at people in the eye.

I wonder if I'm just to stubborn because I'm a huge critic of these drugs but the thoughts of years of this just isn't viable,I'm already 16 months putting up with it.(last few months the worst).
On a positive note I have great support .

21​/06/2012 citrol10mg for stress, constant urination ,diazepam 2mg 26/07/2012 .12/07/2012 citroll 20mg,

​24/09/2013 Lexapro 20mg.didnt take them for a week during this year felt extremely strange ,had no idea down to drugs at the time .

​20/10/2014 venlafaxine xl 75mg.09/01/2015 venlafaxine xl 37.5. questioned doctor about drop in dose ,I was told no problem.

​13/04/2015 venlafaxine xl 150mg NEVER TOOK THEM getting wise?.20/04/2015 venlafaxine xl 75mg.19/08/2015 Xanax 250mcg [agitated]

​10/06/2015 venlafaxine 37.5mg.02/03/2016 five beads out for taper only lasted till 06/06/2016 extreme irritability and anxiety. 

​11/11/2016 Xanax 250mcg took them for few days ,fairly distressing time [working nearly impossible].11/11/2016 I was given a prescription for  Zyprexa 2.5mg AND DECIDED  NOT TO GET IT FROM CHEMIST.[my doctor gave them a great sales pitch ,talking about other patients that have benefited ,in witch it just annoyed me ]

#6 Tootsieroll

Tootsieroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

powerback I would have to say 16 months was a pretty rough one for me. Maybe you can try something natural like Inositol. Pure Dark chocolate really helped me. It does get better.
<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

#7 powerback

powerback

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

Hi tootsieroll thanks a lot for the advice its much appreciated .I know ile b fine and well some day and being part of this community is a massive help .
I have great support so I'm calling on that a the moment and not pushing anyone away so I'm lucky .
I'm very big into juicing the last few weeks and I have a bar of dark chocolate 85% in the press ,think ile go get a square :)  
Take care

21​/06/2012 citrol10mg for stress, constant urination ,diazepam 2mg 26/07/2012 .12/07/2012 citroll 20mg,

​24/09/2013 Lexapro 20mg.didnt take them for a week during this year felt extremely strange ,had no idea down to drugs at the time .

​20/10/2014 venlafaxine xl 75mg.09/01/2015 venlafaxine xl 37.5. questioned doctor about drop in dose ,I was told no problem.

​13/04/2015 venlafaxine xl 150mg NEVER TOOK THEM getting wise?.20/04/2015 venlafaxine xl 75mg.19/08/2015 Xanax 250mcg [agitated]

​10/06/2015 venlafaxine 37.5mg.02/03/2016 five beads out for taper only lasted till 06/06/2016 extreme irritability and anxiety. 

​11/11/2016 Xanax 250mcg took them for few days ,fairly distressing time [working nearly impossible].11/11/2016 I was given a prescription for  Zyprexa 2.5mg AND DECIDED  NOT TO GET IT FROM CHEMIST.[my doctor gave them a great sales pitch ,talking about other patients that have benefited ,in witch it just annoyed me ]

#8 Tootsieroll

Tootsieroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

Keep up the self care and before you know it, a window will open wide for you. Slowly but surely. Good to hear of your support and i agree with you on having this great forum for support too. Been a lifesaver. *Cheers* with a piece of dark chocolate lol
<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

#9 DrugfreeProf

DrugfreeProf

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

Before you turn to meds, may I suggest you  try some or all of the natural remedies for depression:  exercise, mindfulness, meditation, magnesium, and cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, essential oils (bergamot, peppermint), EFT/tapping, and other non-drug strategies?  If you've not yet systematically given these a try, it is impossible to know how much improvement you could experience, and quite soon, if you give them a good shot.

The research suggests that most if not all of these are at least as effective, if not more effective, than an antidepressant and that much of the effects of these chemicals is due to placebo and to the numbing of emotions.  The primary effects are far from beneficial enough to override the risk of side effects, physical wear and tear, and of course, the possibility of severe protracted withdrawal.

There are a ton of resources on the net about all of the above.  Feel free to pm me for suggestions for specific programs or sites, if you'd like. Others on this board also are extremely savvy about these non-drug techniques.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

#10 peng

peng

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationS. Queensferry, West Lothian, Scotland

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:43 AM

My short answer to your question would be "yes".  

However, knowing what I know now, 40 years after first becoming ill, and having had some reasonable breaks from illness, I would suggest you firstly have thorough blood tests.

I believe that correcting a vitamin or mineral deficiency after 12 years of chaotic shift work in a busy environment may have saved me from being put on a benzo then antidepressants a long time ago.

Blood tests last year showed I had a Folic Acid deficiency and I did recover somewhat when I was prescribed this B vitamin.

This site is excellent for examining what is possible for some, and what the latest views on lots of relevent stuff are.  Also, nearly everyone has "been there".

Love and best wishes in your quest.

1977 - Collapse of health at 32 after 12 years of irregular and stressful shift work. 1977-84Ativan, then 1984-2002 Anafranil.  2002-13 – Effexor XL 150-187.5mg.

2014 Jan -2016 Jun. Had to raise Effexor to 225mg due external crisis.  Chronic fatigue, tiredness and low mood.  Felt I had reached a brick wall as far as medication went. 2016/6 - Blood tests, Folic acid.

2016 17Jun - Feeling better within a couple of days. 2016 13Jul  -  212.5mg Effexor. (-5.5%). 2016  6Aug  - 200.0mg Effexor. (-5.9%) 24Aug - 187.5mg Effexor. (-6.3%). 13Sep – 175.0mg Effexor (-6.7% .   Folic acid finished after 80 days.  Feeling best for a couple of years. 22Sep – GP Prescribed 5mg Folic Acid/day tfn.   3Oct   - 162.5mg Effexor (-7.1%)  7mg Omeprazole.   2016 15Oct -disappointing to hit extreme fatigue again after 3.5 months, by 23Oct not bad again, despite having cold and old familiar sinusitis. 26Oct - 150mg Effexor (-7.7%). 3mg Omeprazole. 31Oct - 2mg Omeprazole, off 5mg Folic Acid. 7Nov - ZERO Omeprazole.

2017 9Jan - 150mg Effexor. Stalled at this dose for >2 mo.  Will only resume later in year when mood lifts.  23Mar - 137.5mg Effexor.

Current other meds/Supps/Vits

540mg EPA /day - 280mg Magnesium Malate - Vit D, Probiotic. Honey instead of table sugar in tea and coffee, wef Oct16 and after taking sugar nearly all my life.

#11 Jaco2016

Jaco2016

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

Before you turn to meds, may I suggest you  try some or all of the natural remedies for depression:  exercise, mindfulness, meditation, magnesium, and cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, essential oils (bergamot, peppermint), EFT/tapping, and other non-drug strategies?  If you've not yet systematically given these a try, it is impossible to know how much improvement you could experience, and quite soon, if you give them a good shot.

The research suggests that most if not all of these are at least as effective, if not more effective, than an antidepressant and that much of the effects of these chemicals is due to placebo and to the numbing of emotions.  The primary effects are far from beneficial enough to override the risk of side effects, physical wear and tear, and of course, the possibility of severe protracted withdrawal.

There are a ton of resources on the net about all of the above.  Feel free to pm me for suggestions for specific programs or sites, if you'd like. Others on this board also are extremely savvy about these non-drug techniques.

Hi Silverstar thanks for your post.  Since posting my original message about considering staying on drugs I've begun to taper off wellbutrin. I think I got over the dizziness from the Celexa withdrawal so I think I feel well enough do try to get off WB.   Definitely reading CBT every day, and trying to use the various techniques.  Also doing exercise as able, juicing, oils, meditation, prayer.   Seems to be helping so far but feel so dumpy and apathetic on some days. But when I feel dumpy usually if I just do something, anything, I can distract myself and feel better, even if only temporarily. Thanks!

Prior drug history:

#12 DrugfreeProf

DrugfreeProf

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

Jaco2016-- That's great that you are already working with non-drug techniques. I'm sure they are sometimes difficult if not impossible to do.

Sometimes the suffering gets in the way of our doing the very things that would help ease some of our suffering!

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

#13 Squeak

Squeak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

I can attest to the benefits of EFT tapping. I started it a couple of years ago, and it helps with anxiety. Especially the "collarbone " tapping point. Sometimes I use that one for anxiety in the moment. Part of its usefulness is that you almost have to slow down your breathing to get into a rhythm of tapping. For pain, it seems to take longer. Definitely the mindfulness it takes is part of the equation. I am currently trying it for nerve pain and have had a bit of success.
2001: prescribed Klonopin for anxiety related to IBS/weight loss
2007-2010: 3-4 different antidepressants for very short periods
2012: Diagnosed major depression: settled on Prozac 40 mg
2012: daily use of Klonopin 0.5 mg 2014: switched to Ativan 0.5 mg
2014-15: tapered down Prozac and Ativan, not successful withdrawing Ativan
2015: off Prozac, used Chinese herbs and acupuncture
2016: diagnosed major depression for second time, put back on Prozac 40 mg also various small attempts with Wellbutrin, trazodone, Rexulti, mirtazepine, but resistant to adding to my mixture
2016: Gabapentin 1800 mg for severe nerve pain in feet (believe related to meds) (B12 injections also helped)
Low mood, low energy, no motivation.Frequent anxiety between doses of Ativan. Diagnosed adrenal fatigue, supplements.
2017: 40 mg fluoxetine // 1.5 mg lorazepam // 1800 mg gabapentin // adrenal and vitamin supplements
Mar 2017: continuing 40 mg fluoxetine // 1.33 mg lorazepam // 1800 mg gabapentin // only fish oil supplementation
http://survivinganti...apentin-enough/

#14 TeaBea

TeaBea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

Blood tests last year showed I had a Folic Acid deficiency and I did recover somewhat when I was prescribed this B vitamin.

Peng:  You might want to consider a DNA test and run the data through a "health" site (like genetic genie or strategene, etc.) to determine any gene mutations that might be affecting your methylation.  If you were low on Folic Acid, you might instead need FOLATE (there is a difference).  I've just ordered tests for my husband (he's in protracted w/d from Effexor) to see if we might need different nutritional support for his DNA makeup.