SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

snostorm: long term Paxil user - making another attempt

snostorm

I have had a few blood tests recently and my thyroid panels are all in the normal range. I have anodular gland for sure and family history of thyroid issues. The bridge so far is going ok. I do feel better I am not in withdrawal hell. My sleep isn't great. I'm jittery at times. I know bridging with Prozac was risky but from where I was I felt I had little to lose. The gamble so far has been worth it. Life goes on and I'm trying to stabilize on Prozac while navigating a move. So stress is high and complicating things. I'm thinking a few months on Prozac before I even think of tapering. See my psych NP in a few weeks.

14mg prozac liquid 4/20/2018

3/11/2019 6.0mg prozac liquid. 

2/17/2020 3.6mg prozac liquid

• 2 weeks later...

Im feeling ok.  Currently 40mg Prozac.  Not perfect.  Tired. Sleep is spotty.  But no where near where I was in Paxil hell withdrawal.  Im a little pissed at my Psych NP.  She recommended I go on Wellbutrin.  She seems to have forgotten that my intention is to come off medication.  She gave me the classic diabetics need insulin analogy. It is apparent that now that the bridge to Prozac is complete it is under my own guidance that I will responsibly taper.  I will  use her for my scripts.  I am not going on Wellbutren. 

Sh

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey snostorm - thanks for the update. I'm glad you're through the worst of the paxil to prozac switch.  Hope you'll hold at the 40 mg Prozac for several months before even thinking about a decrease.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks Scall.  Definitely risky.  Grateful to not be in hell. Gonna hold at 40mg Prozac for a few months for sure.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi snostorm, yes, going to a provider just to get your needed prescriptions is definitely valid.

A hold sounds like a really good idea!

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Having a bad day.  Many triggers.  For me I was so traumatized by Paxil that I am hypervigilent I get anxiety and fear its Paxil withdrawal.  Im curious how long should I give it to stabalize on prozac before I even think if tapering.  Im guessing three months?

• Moderator Emeritus

If it was me, I would be holding for at least 3 months.  By making that decision now, it will allow you to be at ease with holding and not have the stress of continually thinking should I or shouldn't I drop.

Once you reach the end of the 3 month hold you could then assess how things are going.  It is better to hold for longer than to try and reduce sooner.  If after 3 months things still aren't stable, then make the decision to hold for a 4th month.  And instead of doing a full 10% drop you might want to consider a smaller reduction, eg 5% or even 2.5%.  The aim is to get off the drug whilst being able to live as normally as possible, not being rash and trying to go too quickly and upsetting the CNS.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought id check in and update my progress.  Im doing ok stabilization is slow but proceeding.   Some days better than others.  Fatigue plagues me.  Next week I have an appointment with a Holistic psychiatrist.  He has an interesting bio...traditionally trained in Psychiatry came to the conclusion that he wasnt helping his patients just masking symptoms. Perscribes medication if needed but his main focus is to use non traditional modalities to help people come off their medication.  Treating the body as a whole to address the cause rather then treating symptoms.  Supports his patients tapering.  Very naturopathic.  Interestingly after breakfast one day I became agitated and felt like I was in Paxil withdrawal.  The following day same thing.  Common denominator was the cereal I was eating. Whole grain wheat and flax flakes. I was tested for gluten sensitivity and it came up negative. 

I eliminated it and started some probiotics.  I feel better.  I definitely have food sensitivities. Im fairly certain this Psychiatrist is going to put me on some sort of elimination type diet.  Im pretty convinced its key.  

hoping for healing for everyone

best regards

6 hours ago, snostorm said:

Just thought id check in and update my progress.  Im doing ok stabilization is slow but proceeding.   Some days better than others.  Fatigue plagues me.  Next week I have an appointment with a Holistic psychiatrist.  He has an interesting bio...traditionally trained in Psychiatry came to the conclusion that he wasnt helping his patients just masking symptoms. Perscribes medication if needed but his main focus is to use non traditional modalities to help people come off their medication.  Treating the body as a whole to address the cause rather then treating symptoms.  Supports his patients tapering.  Very naturopathic.  Interestingly after breakfast one day I became agitated and felt like I was in Paxil withdrawal.  The following day same thing.  Common denominator was the cereal I was eating. Whole grain wheat and flax flakes. I was tested for gluten sensitivity and it came up negative. 

I eliminated it and started some probiotics.  I feel better.  I definitely have food sensitivities. Im fairly certain this Psychiatrist is going to put me on some sort of elimination type diet.  Im pretty convinced its key.  

hoping for healing for everyone

best regards

For what it's worth, flax seed made me crazy anxious too. 

2002-2003 25mg Paxil CR due to PTSD and severe anxiety. 2005-2016 25mg Paxil CR due to resurgence of panic attacks and severe anxiety.

Started tapering late summer 2016.

Aug 2016 - 25mg CR immediate cut to 12.5mg CR, then held 4-5 months 

Jan 2017 - 12.5mg (CR) to 12.5mg (non CR), then after a week.

Jan/Feb 2017 - 12.5mg (non CR) taper down 2.5mg/week (1.25mg every 3-4 days), and felt no symptoms at all until debilitating withdrawal effects at 1.25mg, so immediately went back up to last stable dose of 2.5mg.

Held at 2.5mg. Experienced mild/moderate anxiety waves, brain zaps, lightheadedness, feeling fuzzy, cortisol spikes, burning/prickling skin and lots of anxious energy.

Tried Omega 3s for two days and experienced debilitating anxiety and depression (+urgent care visit), so stopped that 2/19. 

Mar 12 2017 - Switched to half liquid/half pill, had a minor spike in anxiety but it faded over a couple days

Mar 19 2017 - Switched to full liquid - 2.5mg/1.25ml - experienced a spike 7-8 days in, but stabilized over next week. Another awful spike over 4/12-4/16 due to inadvertently eating a ton of flax seed, but two amazing normal weeks followed that.

Tapering off liquid - 3/19 - 2.5mg, 4/30 - 2.25mg, 5/29 - 2.02mg, (weekend of depression around 7/2), 7/24 - 1.82mg, 9/4 - 1.64mg, slow taper (.04mg/wk) until .025ml liquid (0.50mg) last dose on 8/8/18, plus melatonin almost every night. Also daily mindfulness, CB therapy, exercise, and positive self talk. 1/2 lorazepam in emergencies (not since Sept 2017). Battle random nights of insomnia, and difficulty falling/staying asleep, lapses in focus, obsessive thought.

A/O Aug 9. 2018 - PAXIL FREE.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Id like to update my thread.  I am now under the care of a holistic psychiatrist.  I was not sure what to think at first he seemed out there.  I thought well this guy is either a genius or a quack. But im leaning towards master healer.  After my initial consultation with him he is conviced most of my issues stem from my gut.  He is focusing now on healing these issues and weaning me off of PPI medication.  He says its not time to start coming off of prozac.  Healing has to happen then we will go to liquid Prozac and start to slowly taper.  He is very caring and interesting man.   A traditionally trained psychiatrist who became disillusioned with modern psychiatry and felt he wasn't healing his patients just medicating and no one ever really got better.  He went and studied in Europe and now employs very non traditional modalities to address inbalances.  He performs neural therapy, Acupuncture, homeopathy, EMDR, UVB, among others.  

He has me on some probiotics which have helped significantly.  They are distributed through medical professionals only they are called Mega Sporebiotics.  This with some herbs and something called Restore for gut health.  He wants to put me on a specific carbohydrate diet which is very difficult im living in a construction zone and my kitchen isnt done yet.  I have thyroiditis which is auto immune and most likely caused by gluten sensitivity.  

He is certainly not conventional but look at where conventional medicine has got me.  Hooked on SSRI and PPI. I felt I had nothing to lose.  I feel better.  I trust him he explains I am not that complicated of a case and it will take some time but he will heal me.  

The journey continues.........

Best wishes with progress, there, snostorm.

Getting off PPIs for a start cannot be regarded as quackery, many of us will agree.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

this sounds promising ...wishing you all the best!

ds

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• 5 weeks later...

snostorm will you be doing the wdl survey?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I participated in the survey.

Gladly.

I have started my 10 percent taper from 40mg Prozac.  I have transitioned to liquid under the care of a holistic psychiatrist.  Have been weaning PPI medication as well.  Stable with mild akathisia at times.  My Doctor said side effect of prozac.  Taking Mag Taurate, cod liver oil, probiotics, Restore for gut health, And a supplement called Nervoheel.  Gonna be a long haul hoping for the best.

regards

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, snostorm said:

Gonna be a long haul

Learning and using non drug coping techniques, acceptance and patience are very important.

I found that as I reduced my dose I started feeling like my old self.  Once this happened I found that tapering faded into the background and it's amazing how quickly the time has gone.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

25 minutes ago, snostorm said:

I participated in the survey.

Thank you kindly.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 3 weeks later...

I am slowly tapering prozac down to 32 mg from 40.  My holistic psychiatrist has me off PPI.  I am thrilled at this.  I never thought I would be off them.  The rebound was horrible. Mood is low at times.  Exercising and eating clean as I can.  

wishing all well

regards

• 4 weeks later...

I am down to 28mg prozac.  Doing the Brassmonkey slide method micro drops every 2 weeks. staying relatively stable.  Kinda concerned about my past experience tapering Paxil feeling ok and tapering too fast then having it all hit me at once.  I know Prozac has longer half life which is good but possibly bad as in giving a false sense of stability. 

Im grateful to be able to exercise.  It helps so much.  Diet is huge as I pay when I go off the rails.  

Taking Cod liver oil, mag, EMPOWER plus supplements.  Some herbal preparations, probiotics. 

wishing all well.

• 2 months later...

I am now down to 20 mg of prozac.  I recently foolishly dropped from 24 mg to 20  searching for a milestone.  As if I didn't learn my lesson.  I felt it.  It was that old familiar feeling.  It freaked me out but I pushed through it and stabilized. Holding till after the  holidays then will resume micro tapering.  Diet, exercise, Magnesium tuarate, cod liver oil.  This is my regimen.  

Wishing stability, healing and peace for all.

• 1 month later...

Updating...I am now down to 17.5mg prozac liquid.  Relatively stable.  Sleep is spotty at times.  Very sensitive to diet.  Digestive issues have arose.  But I haven't been behaving lately.  Very grateful for the ability to exercise its key.  I guess at this point its safe to assume my prozac bridge was successful.  Awaiting the day I am free.

• 1 month later...

I am now down to 16 mg prozac liquid.  Food sensitivities digestion issues are constant. Diet is key. Along with exercise.  This morning I had a brief window. I can always identify them when driving.  All of a sudden my vision and perception behind the wheel become normal.  And I feel like I can drive like Mario Andretti. Very confident on the road.  I got home and was hungry and ate crap. I feel it.  Sometimes I wonder just how much Prozac covered the Paxil withdrawal.  It took months to reach something resembling being stable when I bridged.  Withdrawal normal for almost a year now.  The window gives me hope that I wont feel like this forever.  I have felt worse for sure.  But Im still not there.Soon it will be a year since I took my last dose of Paxil and completed the bridge to 40 mg prozac. That went fast.

• Moderator Emeritus

Snostorm, please update your signature to reflect your current Prozac dosage.   Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 weeks later...

I am down to 14  mg Prozac liquid.  Im coming up on a year paxil free after bridging from 8 mg Paxil to 40 mg Prozac.   My current state is the most stable I have felt in over a year. I credit this to the holistic psychiatrist who I have been seeing.  His guidance and the very slow tapering regimen he has me on. The grip of paxil is scary.  I am having windows and waves as I taper Prozac.  I know this is still legacy effects of being on Paxil for 15 years.  

• 5 months later...

Currently I am down to 8.4 mg of prozac.  Seems once I got below 10mg drops have become more difficult.  Symptoms are anxiety, hypochondria, low libido.  Recently came down with pneumonia so i cant exercise and that always helps.  I wonder if what I feel is prozac withdrawal or legacy withdrawal from Paxil. Going to hold for awhile.

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, snostorm said:

Currently I am down to 8.4 mg of prozac.  Seems once I got below 10mg drops have become more difficult.  Symptoms are anxiety, hypochondria, low libido.  Recently came down with pneumonia so i cant exercise and that always helps.  I wonder if what I feel is prozac withdrawal or legacy withdrawal from Paxil. Going to hold for awhile.

Hi Snostorm,

Sorry to hear that below 10mg gives you trouble. 

It could be the rate you are decreasing. Can you update your signature to reflect all recent changes (not just your current dose, but the changes you made to get there)? Please also include how long ago you stopped Paxil.

On 3/25/2018 at 3:01 PM, Gridley said:

Snostorm, please update your signature to reflect your current Prozac dosage.   Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 4 months later...

checking in.  Down to 6.3mg prozac.  Its been a slog.  But closer to my goal of being SSRI free. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Well done in your tapering snostorm, 

It certainly feels good to see those numbers going down. How quickly are you tapering? Could you please update your signature so we can see your tapering schedule and the dose you are on now. Can you also put in the date of when you stopped the Paxil. Just press on the signature link Gridley gave you. Thanks so much.

What symptoms are you having now?

Wishing you all the best in your healing journey💚

P.s. Have you been going down by 10% a month?

Edited by Carmie
Added postscript

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to snostorm: long term Paxil user - making another attempt

I was so traumatized by my PAxil withdrawal i am going very slow under 10mg of Prozac.  I am in no rush.  This time next year I should be very close to being off. Slow and steady.  Diet, exercise all very important.  Sugar, GLuten are triggers.  WIshing all healing and health.

• 11 months later...

Greetings

Figured I should update my thread.  I am currently at 3.6mg of Prozac.  I just recently did a 10 percent drop from 4mg after a long hold due to the holidays and a job change and the need to be as stable as possible.  The drop hit me rather hard as I am significantly more sensitive to reduction at this low dose. You would think that after all I have been through that I would know better. I am stabilizing however but of course I was wondering if I ever would....yet again. Slow and steady.  At this point i guess its safe to say that my Prozac bridge worked.  Although I still feel I have legacy effects from my 15 year exposure to Paxil. What exactly is normal anyway?  Not sure I even know. But I have certainly been worse. one day....

• Mentor
2 hours ago, snostorm said:

Greetings

Figured I should update my thread.  I am currently at 3.6mg of Prozac.  I just recently did a 10 percent drop from 4mg after a long hold due to the holidays and a job change and the need to be as stable as possible.  The drop hit me rather hard as I am significantly more sensitive to reduction at this low dose. You would think that after all I have been through that I would know better. I am stabilizing however but of course I was wondering if I ever would....yet again. Slow and steady.  At this point i guess its safe to say that my Prozac bridge worked.  Although I still feel I have legacy effects from my 15 year exposure to Paxil. What exactly is normal anyway?  Not sure I even know. But I have certainly been worse. one day....

Hey, you will know what normal is. I was on Paxil for a long time. I have had emotions come back that I did not know existed. Slow and steady wins the race! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

@snostorm, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...
On 6/17/2020 at 5:42 PM, Altostrata said:

@snostorm, how are you doing?

Its been quite sometime.  I am still not free from Prozac but very close.  I have just dropped to .6 mg of prozac liquid.  Its unbelievable how drops with such a low dose trigger symptoms. Im wondering at what point do I just stop taking it. After all these years I cant imagine not taking it. And am still traumatized after all these years. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, snostorm said:

I have just dropped to .6 mg of prozac liquid. 

What does this amount to in milligrams of Prozac?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What does this amount to in milligrams of Prozac?

Actually let me clarify, I have reduced the volume of liquid to 0.15ml.  The concentration of the liquid is 4mg per ml. 4x0.15 = 0.6mg.  Its becoming difficult to gauge this I am using .5 ml syringes. So I have tapered to 0.6mg prozac. The lower I taper the harder it is to reduce by 10 percent.  Under 10 mg the drops hit harder.  So I have held longer.

Symptoms when I drop are typical, agitation, gastrointestinal issues. dizziness at times. Sleep overall is ok.  That's my biggest fear. I have come so far.  And this has taken way longer than I had anticipated. But I am close.  I still have that detached feeling that's hard to describe.  It gets triggered by foods. I am going to do a significant journal entry when I get more time. If only to help someone else going through the same things.

But for now I would have to say one of the hardest things to endure throughout the whole process is the feeling of being alone. Even though being surrounded by loved ones the experience you are having is really something you cant appreciate unless you have been through it.  

Glad to see this site still active.

Wishing healing for all those unfortunate enough to have to go through this. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, snostorm said:

So I have tapered to 0.6mg prozac. The lower I taper the harder it is to reduce by 10 percent.  Under 10 mg the drops hit harder.  So I have held longer.

It's quite common that the low doses are the most difficult to taper. You can also increase the volume of the liquid vehicle and reduce by less than 10% per step, e.g. 5%.

With the additional dilution, you should be able to measure accurately with a 0.5mL oral syringe -- the ticks are hundredths of a mL. Please let us know if you need assistance with the math.

• 2 months later...

It stole so many years of my life.  As I look back through the years, the impacts it has had on myself are hard to come to terms with.  But the impacts it has had on the people I love are the are the absolute worst.  The feeling of loneliness, the isolation, the feeling that no one really can relate and truly appreciate the living hell and ever enduring pain. I often think to myself ....why. And I work to circumvent the anger, seek to serve those fellow souls, and somehow provide utility to another.  I am SSRI free.  after so many years.  But I am not healed.  It comes.  Ever so slowly. I can sleep.  And for someone who needs to be functional to survive, you take it and appreciate how far you have come.

Slow....listen.  Believe in the resilience of your body. Do not succumb to the notion this is your destiny to suffer in silence. It took so long, and I don't know if I will ever exist in a state that resembles anything that I remember to be normal.  But I am BETTER  than I was. And that gives me hope.