SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

snostorm: long term Paxil user - making another attempt

snostorm

• Moderator Emeritus

Scales may be an option to consider. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I am on day 2 of updosing to 5 mg tablet from 2.2mg liquid. Having some anxiety issues. Yesterday had a panic attack driving. Overall I would characterize as slightly better. I'm not sure how long it would take to stabilize. Is there a minimal therapeutic dose for Paxil?

14mg prozac liquid 4/20/2018

3/11/2019 6.0mg prozac liquid. 

2/17/2020 3.6mg prozac liquid

• Moderator Emeritus

It normally takes a minimum of four days for the dose change to register in your system, and then it can take a week or two after that (sometimes longer, depending on how destabilised a person has gotten) for stabilisation to happen. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

I am going to stabilize at 5mg and hold for a good long while.  I believe the liquid was my problem.  Being on such a low dose and having severe withdrawal right when I got it is too much of a coincidence for me.  I remember switching to generic paxil at the same dose and feeling it back when I was on 20mg.  I spoke with the pharmacist and they said the amount of medicine is always the same.  But different suppliers may use different stabalizers etc.. the liquid seems thinner than the last batch.  It is certainly different. 

Its hard enough tapering off this damn drug throw in inconsistent formulations and its just insult to injury. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds sensible, snostorm. 

To answer your other question about minimum therapeutic doses, there is no such thing.  It's a fictional idea used by manufacturers.  In withdrawal, your 'minimum therapeutic dose' would be the lowest amount you can personally stabilise on.  Which hopefully will turn out to be 5mg.

8 month hold.

Ok so severe reaction is not something I think I am experiencing so far. When I wake in the morning I feel a little on edge. About an hour after I take my pill I get sleepy but the edge subsides. It's kinda all seeming familiar to me. stuff has a sedative effect. Hoping stabilization comes. Day three of updosing.

Ok on day three now I am having a significant anxiety issue. Diahhrea I believe I am sensitized now my worst fear. Do I stay At 5 or go back down to 2.5?

Whoa serious crying spell that gives a little relief. Never could understand how a drug can do that. Have an appointment with a therapist. Still not sure what to do. Any input would be appreciated

• Administrator

What time do you take your drugs, and what is your symptom pattern? This information can help us figure out if you're having an adverse reaction to Paxil.

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

seems I wake in the morning  feel a little edgy.  I take paxil first thing in the morning.  About an hour after taking Paxil I feel tired. lots of yawning.  That subsides and by the afternoon I start to develop anxiety. Today was difficult,  Today I had crying spells.  They seem cathartic as after their conclusion my anxiety subsides a bit.  Evenings seem best for me.  I am on day 3 of updosing from 2.5 mg to 5 mg. 

So far today I seem to have improved. But it's still morning. Plenty of time for that afternoon wave........should be interesting to see what the professionals say.

My sleep has been poor and it has exacerbated my anxiety symptoms.  I have some melatonin.  I was wondering if its ok to try a little.  Im very scared of reactions.  Its from Trader Joes chewable 500mcg.  I was gonna cut one in half.  Is that safe to try?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've never used it, but the basics for how to carefully and properly do so are here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/189-melatonin-for-sleep/

8 month hold.

• Administrator

What time in the afternoon do you feel anxiety? What time in the morning do you take Paxil?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I take Paxil first thing in the morning. My symptoms are changing. I have significant anxiety. Lightheadness shaky motor skills with my hands my vision is affected. I have been on 5 mg from 2.2 for almost a week. I have aappointment with. Psychiatrist the end of next week. I'm not sure what to do. If I should reinstate 10 mg which I was at for long time or try and ride out the 5 mg. I am borderline not functional at this point. I have seen no overall improvement. I need relief I'm going insane.

It's curious. It seems mid day seems to be the worse time. I calm slightly in the evening. Today was bad. Now I'm getting achy. Flu like which I know is withdrawal chills. Unless I'm actually getting sick. This sucks.

• Mentor

I am sorry you are struggling so much, all I can tell you is that it does get better

it is odd the things that happen in withdrawal, I get all stuffed up like I've got a cold and then it disappears, I've never had a real cold that came and went that quickly :/

I hope you're not getting sick, although sometimes it's almost a relief to have something happen that is NOT related to withdrawal :P

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

It was withdrawal. And I too get sinus symptoms. Never attributed to Paxil. I'm strongly considering updosing to my last real stable dosage 10mg. But I had a window last night. I just need to be stable. Day by day.

• Moderator Emeritus

A week is still within the minimum time-frame for a change in dose to take effect.  If you can get yourself through a few more days you may indeed start to notice improvement.  That window last night was a good sign.  Sorry it's so miserable right now for you.   

8 month hold.

My anxiety is still present however it has improved.  Sleep is still a problem.  I do not sleep through the night.  Im so against taking anything to help me sleep.  I have some xanax but im very wary.  I keep it in case of crises but I do not want to take it.  Just having it as a security blanket helps in some way I think. My anxiety comes and goes in waves.  I still have some motor impairment with my hands. Like a tremor or something.  It comes and goes. I have the utmost empathy for those affected by WITHDRAWAL.......not discontinuation syndrome.  Lets call it what it is.

My conundrum is, as I initially took this medication for panic, and it was effective, what is return of symptoms and what is withdrawal.  FLu like symptoms, visual disturbances, shakyness, dizzyness yes withdrawal.  But the panic and anxiety seems familiar..although more intense.  The depersonalization is most disturbing. It is awful borderline insanity. 

I want to thank all those who responded to my posts.  This has been a trying ordeal........and its just the beginning.   I have a question.  I remember back in the day there was a website Paxilprogress.  Its gone .  What happened to it? Was it shut down because of litigation? It was a frequented site.  Seems odd that it doesn't exist anymore.  

I see a psychiatrist at the end of the week.  If he minimizes withdrawal im gonna walk out of his office. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain so as Karen said you are still in the time frame for things to be adjusting.

I understand your thinking that 10mg was your last stable dose, but with AD drugs, what "worked" in the past may not necessarily work in the future because your CNS (central nervous system) changes.

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

From your signature your doses drops have been 12.5%, 14.3%, 33.3%, 25%, 33.3%, 50%.  These have all been significantly higher than SA's recommended 10% taper of the previous dose.

If you do feel that you need to increase your dose after you have given this updose a good chance, please consider increasing by only a small amount.  1mg or maybe 2mg may be enough.  When it comes to these drugs more is not necessarily better.

It's important to learn non drug coping techniques.  Claire Weekes was a doctor who suffered from anxiety and learned and also taught others how to cope:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Here are SA's topics concerned PP.  If you google it you can find other information.

paxilprogressorg-closed-forever

the-closing-of-paxil-progress-from-the-truthmans-blog

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

These really helped me to understand SA's recommendations and have helped me to stay patient:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Ok this is were it gets tricky. So I am a little over a week updosing to 5 mg. I'm not stable but better than 2.5. It is advisable to wait more time to see if I stabilize at this level as I am in that window of potential stabilization? If in fact I need a higher dose to stabilize will I be sensitizing myself to the medication by waiting another week to decide? if I updose to 10mg or 7.5 I could have negative outcome and be worse off?

I'm of the thinking that I didn't give it enough time to feel the effects of my reduction to 5mg. And I rushed down thinking I was good to 2.2. Like a total dumbass.

Many of us on here have kicked ourselves for lowering doses too quickly, myself included. It's a learning moment.

Since you have some relief at 5 mg from 2.2, waiting another week can be a good move. Hang in there and review the nondrug methods of helping yourself to try and find things that work for you! Moving up a dose too quickly can cause problems as well. I have been through some of this myself when I was messing around with my mirtazapine dose. I know others have more experience and may chime in. Going slowly is often the best move. It is hard to be patient. I am of the slower-is-better opinion, up or down in dose. I am also on Paxil. At the most, I cut 0.1 mg at a time, 2 or 3 times a month. I was prescribed 10 mg a day in December 2015. I refused to take that much as I am very sensitive to meds. I took a little less than 1/2 tablet, went to 1/2 and hated it, and back down to about 1/3 tablet, all within a week. I am now down to 2.4 mg (pill weight by scale) since then. 

2014-2015, tapered off risperdal 1 mg done 11/14, Librium 2/15 from 25 mg (switched from Klonopin), and Prozac 40 mg to 20 mg and went off without tapering last 20 mg I think (no record of that) by March or April 2015. Possible rebound anxiety started in May 2015 (plus I'm anxious anyway but controlled usually).

Flexeril in August 2015 (for a couple weeks) and then 1 5 mg dose of Prozac in September 2015. Either going off flexeril or trying the Prozac or both plus my previous jump off Prozac that spring set off withdrawal symptoms, which at the time I just thought was severe anxiety due to a frightening situation that had happened plus insomnia and neuro symptoms. Also had a 1-week of steroid in July 2015 that made things a lot worse (anxiety, obsessing)

Buspar, Sept. 2015, didn't work well (severe chest pain), tapered off. Ambien, 2 nights for terrible new insomnia. Afraid of Ambien and went on Mirtazapine. Tried some ativan 2 or 3 times during this time, felt great while on, but rebound anxiety severe so stopped.

Mirtazapine 15 mg, 1 night on Oct. 9 '15, brain fog, too sedated, groggy all day; Mirtazapine 7.5 mg for about a week. Told pdoc didn't like bc side effects. He said I could jump off. Tapered down to 5.8 mg in a few days and held to talk to doc. He said stay on, seemed to help. It is helping sleeping but nothing else. Went from 5.8 mg to 5.6 mg on one day and 5.7 mg the rest. Taken from 5.7 mg to 5 mg while hospitalized in December 2015. Took a total of 3 doses of Valium during that time. Started on less than 5 mg Paxil by pdoc after hospitalization.

Started lowering mirtazapine dose from 5 to 4.6 mg on Mondays on Jan 4, 2016. Horrible. 1/18/16. Held mirt at 5 mg and 4 mg Paxil by weight on scale until April 2016. Slowly tapering since then 0.1 mg at a time.

Current dose: 2/17, 3.4 mg mirtazapine; 2.4 mg paxil; 3/17, 3.1 mg mirt; 2.1 mg paxil; 7/17 2.8 mg mirt, 1.8 mg paxil; Jan 2018 1.5 mg paxil, 2.5 mg mirtazapine  Update; January 11, 2021:  1.1 mg paxil and 2.5 mg mirtazapine and holding since at least January 2019.

I can tell you one thing. Once stable I will stay there a few months. Then I will micro taper this horrific poison. I don't care how long it takes. I will be free. This damn crap. Up dosing has opened my eyes to the side effects this drug was giving me. GI issues that seemed to subside as I went down are resurfacing. Other things like dizziness when I move my head quickly. All coming back. I want the people who pushed this drug addicted to it. Let them feel what it's like to come off when "the small percentage" of people have a bad time for a couple of weeks. I'd like to get them hopped up on 60 mg of the crap them pull the rug out and let them cold turkey into hell. Bastards.

• Moderator Emeritus

Herenow is on the money.  Keep holding, Snostorm, to allow good stabilisation to occur.  Time is your healer.

8 month hold.

Another window this evening.  Seems its when I get them.  During the day I get the anxiety.  I believe I might be starting to stabilize.  God I hope so.  I will stay at 5mg for at least another week and see how I do.  If I can stay at 5mg and stabilize I would be thrilled.  

Again I am so grateful for those who contribute to this site.  I will stay active through my journey in the hopes it can help someone like me.  Just hoping to get some solid sleep I think that will help immensely.  

Significant wave of anxiety this afternoon. Worse than yesterday. Very disheartening. Was hopeful of stabilization.

Up and down. Slept better last night that helps. I'm curious if a Prozac bridge is something that I should consider. Years ago I had I quack suggest I do it but he did it all wrong. Gave me a few Prozac pills and said stop the Paxil. That didn't end well as I went straight to cold turkey Paxil hell. I really wanted to break his face. Anyway being on a relatively low dose of Paxil is this a strategy ghat might work for me? Or am I just asking for trouble

• Moderator Emeritus

It's usually best to dance with the "one that 'brung" ya." In other words, switching has its risks.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Administrator

Another window this evening.  Seems its when I get them.  During the day I get the anxiety.  I believe I might be starting to stabilize.  God I hope so.  I will stay at 5mg for at least another week and see how I do.  If I can stay at 5mg and stabilize I would be thrilled.  

Again I am so grateful for those who contribute to this site.  I will stay active through my journey in the hopes it can help someone like me.  Just hoping to get some solid sleep I think that will help immensely.  

When do you take Paxil? Please be patient about waves and windows, it can take time for your system to settle down. Everybody is frustrated by waves.

I take Paxil first thing in the AM. Always have. I always wondered in the evening would be better. Yesterday was my best day yet. Some depersonalizations at times. Which I hate. And some anxiety but milder. No panic. Sleeping a little better. I see pschiatrist tomorrow. When you are in panic mode you will try anything for relief. Scouring the internet. It's amazing how many people out there suffer from this. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But there is something very wrong with the FDA and big pharma.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you're up to some reading, you may find the book, Anatomy of an Epidemic, by Robert Whitaker an eye-opening read. It's an investigative journalist's look at the history of psychiatric pharmaceuticals -- the  development, approval, promotion, and prescribing -- of each class of drugs, anti-depressants, "tranquilizers" (benzos), "anti-psychotics."

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks for the book recommendation. So today I'm feeling the flu symptoms. haven't had that for a while. I