snostorm: long term Paxil user - making another attempt

snostorm

Saw a new psychiatrist. Asked how he would taper someone off they are still out there it's unbelievable. I'm in a very bad hole. Very scared. Very high anxiety. This guy sai reinstate the Paxil.

On my own I updosed to 8 mg and it is not helping my anxiety. My ability to function is compromised. At this stage I'm thinking the worst. I'm in total crysis. Don't trust the professionals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

14mg prozac liquid 4/20/2018

3/11/2019 6.0mg prozac liquid. 

2/17/2020 3.6mg prozac liquid

Feeling a bit better today. I actually fell asleep last night with out taking anything to induce. Most likely from sheer exhaustion. Having sobbing spells. I have updosed to 8mg. Holding there. Praying for stability. Why does crying make you feel better. This is the second day in a row I have had a crying session. I welcome them. They help. So strange. Today i was driving listening to music and a song made me start uncontrollably sobbing. Here is a grown man driving a truck sitting in traffic sobbing. Must have been a bizarre sight. Really don't care the least it felt good.

I have another symptom I'm not sure if it's related to withdrawal. Seemingly out of no where I will get this chill to the bone and my fingernails get blue. It's weird. Lasts about 15 minutes or so. I have had extensive blood work done. All is pretty good. Thyroid is all in range. No antibodies. My A1c is 5.9. Which is down. Histamine levels normal. Could this be related to anxiety?

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

A good cry is natures way of balancing neurotransmitters.  Instead of in traffic try in the shower with a washcloth held over your face. Safe, warm and private, works wonders.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Well I got the results form my genesight test.  Apparently all major antidepressants are ok with the exception of Luvox and Cymbalta. Whatever that means.  NP wants to bridge me with prozac.  Feels confident I will do well.  Down far enough on Paxil.  20mg of prozac for 10 days then start cutting down on the paxil.

Scarred to death to do this.  She was pretty convincing.  I said wouldnt it be safer to reinstate Paxil?  She said you need to get off of that crap.  Then stay on Prozac for a while then take it from there.  She also prescribed remeron half a pill before bed for insomnia.  Im like isnt that poly drugging?  SHe said it is low dose and fine.  Dont think  Im gonna do that.

Gave me the lecture to stay off the internet.  And follow her instructions closely and stop playing with my doses.

Well here goes nothing..........

I am on day 2 of 20 mg of Prozac. so far so good. No increased agitation or anxiety.

I am at day 9 of introducing Prozac in addition to 8 mg Paxil.  I have been instructed to cut down Paxil to 5mg after 10 days.  So far I feel the start up effects of Prozac.  Nothing horrible.  My anxiety levels are generally low.  Still have issues sleeping. No panic.  Kinda a light minor spacey DP feeling at times.  I am not in crises mode which is improvement.  I have court this week so that isn't helping things.  Im cautiously optimistic that my bridge will work as I seem to be tolerating Prozac so far.

I know the Prozac bridge is not recommended and 10 percent taper is recommended but people have had success with this transition.  If all goes well and I can stabilize on prozac with out taking any Paxil I would feel it was certainly worth it.  I would stay on prozac for a few months then initiate the appropriate taper. 

That is a big if I know.  But I do feel better. I was prescribed Remeron for sleep and I took half of 15 mg pill and yeah it knocks you out. But I am resisting adding that med Im trying to sleep without medication which is my biggest challenge at this point. 

As per my psychs instructions I am now on 20mg prozac and 5 mg from 8mg paxil 10 days into the bridge.  Is it better to withdraw paxil faster or slower.  My symptoms are light headed spact feeling have some anxiety however life circumstance is contributing largely to that (divorce) proceedings.  Overall I do not feel too bad considering.  I do not believe I am feeling withdrawal from the Paxil drop...at least not yet.

Hi! Nice to see you, I'm watching your bridge with great interest, thanks for posting the details. I'm really glad to hear you're feeling ok - that's great!

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thanks for checking in Molly.  So far I am doing ok,  My biggest challenge is sleep.  Might be a side effect of starting up prozac.  Hoping it subsides.

Holding steady.  Feeling the paxil drop a touch I think.  Overall I think I am still stabalizing on the prozac.  Good sleep still eludes me.No panic.  I am hypersensitive to Dr Pepper apparently.  I generally dont drink soda anymore. Gave it up a while ago. Im going to make a concerted effort to clean up my diet.  Its clear the benefits are significant.

Is Prozac withdrawal easier than Paxil one? How much time do you plan or want to be under it?

Being avert to be on multiple drugs, both times I have recurred to clonazepam when sleep eluded me. It was a short term (2-3 weeks) measure and tapered quickly, so I felt it didn't leave a mark.

Nice to see you faring well despite the adversities.

Name LostInTheWoods evokes both the feeling of getting stranded, forsaken and alone in an alien, hostile environment and the chance to experience awareness, tranquility and self-discovery during the experience. Just call me Lost in the posts.

February 2012. After a crisis, a crippling anxiety that culminated in a panic attack. Started 20 mg Paxil and Clonazepam.

Clonazepam left quickly in the 2nd attempt.

About about a year on 20 mg, begin tapering.

June 2014, after several weeks on 5 mg and trying to dose down, went CT.

May 2015.Anxiety came back again, went to psychiatrist back. Fluoxetine was tried and left because of bad reaction, returned to paroxetine. Start tapering in mid 2016.

December 2016. After like 2 months of going 2,5 mg, stopped paroxetine.

Truth to be told, descended into a downward spiral of caffeine, alcohol and masturbation.

January  26, 2017. Wave with some tinnitus that was fixed by a visit to the ENT.

April 21, 2017. Acid reflux at night was a stressor that triggered another wave.Vices have been put into check and only a drink or two a week remain.

By May 7 stabilized with a little anxiety left and some pains.

I tapered too quickly off paxil.  Multiple successive drops cought up with me all at once. I had a hard time updosing and trying to stabilize. I think I became sensitized to Paxil if that is such a thing.  I feel my body couldnt tolerate it anymore.  Attempting a bridge was risky for me.  So far the risk seems to have payed off as that raw withdrawal feeling was pretty much abated as prozac has built into my system. My goal is to eventually stabalize on Prozac for a good while then hopefully responsibly taper.  If it takes time thats ok.  I have to function. 

Instructions from my psych NP were to drop from 8mg of paxil to 5mg after 10 days on 20mg prozac.  I was terrified to do that drop but so far so good.  Unsure what to do I reached out to her she said stay where you are until I see you which is May 9th. It is looking very possible that I will be from Paxil to Prozac and low dose remeron as I need that to sleep.  I have taken it 3 times and it does help me sleep.  My goal is to be stable and function.  I have to work a high pressure job and navigate life changes.

My overall goal however is to be drug free.  Unfortunately that will take some time. But the sheer hell I was in is gone for now.  And for that I am grateful.  I had so little trust in my practitioner.  She told me I will feel better.  She was right.  I do.  

Mirtazapine while helpful for sleep made me feel overall worse during the day.  I am not taking that anymore. I see my psych on the 9th.  Not sure how she will proceed.  Overall I am ok.  Some anxiety but I also have been sick with a virus.  Additionally I have been diagnosed with an insufficiency fracture of my medial femoral condyle.  Everyone is scratching there heads on how that happened.  Im not........

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi snostorm, please add the start date and dose of mirtazapine as well as the stop date and dose to your signature.

Sorry you're dealing with another medical "mystery."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I have updated my signature to reflect my brief use or mirtazapine.  Iam still stabilizing on the 20mg of prozac with 5mg of Paxil.  I am most concerned with how I will react when my Psych suggests I come down in Paxil again.  I see her tomorrow. I will share my journey and hope for the best.

As always indebted to the contributors of this site. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, and do remember who's in charge!  Your psych should be worried about what you might say, not the other way round...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Wish you luck pal!!

Name LostInTheWoods evokes both the feeling of getting stranded, forsaken and alone in an alien, hostile environment and the chance to experience awareness, tranquility and self-discovery during the experience. Just call me Lost in the posts.

February 2012. After a crisis, a crippling anxiety that culminated in a panic attack. Started 20 mg Paxil and Clonazepam.

May 2015.Anxiety came back again, went to psychiatrist back. Fluoxetine was tried and left because of bad reaction, returned to paroxetine. Start tapering in mid 2016.

Truth to be told, descended into a downward spiral of caffeine, alcohol and masturbation.

January  26, 2017. Wave with some tinnitus that was fixed by a visit to the ENT.

April 21, 2017. Acid reflux at night was a stressor that triggered another wave.Vices have been put into check and only a drink or two a week remain.

Im terrified TBH.  However when I dropped from 8 to 5mg of Paxil I barely felt anything as Prozac  was building.  My fear is that I am accustomed to both and I feel the paxil drop in spite of the prozac. I thought you had to pull out of the Paxil quicker to successfully complete the switch.  She said she does this all the time and has had success.  Yikes!!!

I can well imagine you're afraid snostorm - I've got everything crossed for you!! 

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, and do remember who's in charge!  Your psych should be worried about what you might say, not the other way round...

I love that, Karen!! <3 

Sno, one way to approach this is to get what you need from the prescribers, and let them think what they think. If they don't support your coming off, too bad -- it's your choice. It gets trickier when they DO want you to come off because you still need them (or somebody) in order to get the prescriptions, of course. But it's your decision, not theirs.

But you're holding everything for a while now, right? Going from 5 to 7.5 to 10 and back down--this is so many changes and was so recent. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Administrator

Words of wisdom, SkyBlue.

Snostorm, your psychiatrist is doing this cross-taper the right way. If you don't feel like taking the dive from 5mg Paxil to zero, how do feel about dropping to 2.5mg Paxil?

There's always an intermediary compromise. Use your intuition, what would make the decrease feel safer?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes Alto. This is exactly what she did. Well almost. She upped my Prozac to 40 mg and reduced my Paxil to 2.5 for 10 days then stop. Then I will be flying along on 40 mg Prozac. Which I guess is better than Paxil. I will stabilize for a good period then come off. The right way. Day 2 of 2.5 Paxil and doing ok so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been 10 days since I reduced Paxil to 2.5. Im doing ok but its now time to drop Paxil and stabilize on prozac.  Assuming I do stabilize how long should I stay on Prozac before I even think of initiating a taper?

Have you asked the doctor that question?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Have you asked the doctor that question?

I have not.  I will when I see her again.  

I have been 5 days 0 mg Paxil and on 40 mg of Prozac. Anxiety is building. Mild panic attack driving last night. Is this a sign of a failed bridge? Should I try and stabilize on prozac? My psych told me to go back and take my lowest dose of Paxil. Which was 2.5. I was doing ok then all of a sudden I wasn't. Now I don't know what the hell to do. Reinstate Paxil? Stop prozac or continue to try and bridge

Have you had some fluoxetine rejection symptoms like sudden tinnitus, akathisia, that kind of "sudden weakness" while yawning? I would leave Prozac ASAP if one of those weird symptoms appeared out of nowhere. If it's "just" (the hell I know it is no small deal) an anxiety spike I wouldn't be sure and am not qualified to give advice.

Good luck on whichever decision you make in the end.

I think I have tolerated prozac pretty well.  It definitely helped.  I think I was so traumatized by paxil withdrawal I am being hyper vigilant and any little anxiety spike snowballs. My fear is the prozac will not cover the paxil withdrawal.  I have been on prozac just shy of 6 weeks.  I think if I reacted badly to it it would have been evident by now?  

Im also getting ready to move which is stressful. IM gonna hold for a day or two and see how I do.  My sleep hasn't been solid so that is a contributing factor as well.

I think I have tolerated prozac pretty well.  It definitely helped.  I think I was so traumatized by paxil withdrawal I am being hyper vigilant and any little anxiety spike snowballs. My fear is the prozac will not cover the paxil withdrawal.  I have been on prozac just shy of 6 weeks.  I think if I reacted badly to it it would have been evident by now?  

Im also getting ready to move which is stressful. IM gonna hold for a day or two and see how I do.  My sleep hasn't been solid so that is a contributing factor as well.

Sno,

You hit the nail on the head. SO much of overcoming anxiety is learning to not be bothered by it when you experience it. It has made all the difference in the world for me. I highly recommend the app "Headspace". They have an anxiety pack of 30 days once you get through the first two 10-day packs. 

Positive self talk as soon as you feel anxiety, i.e., "I've survived this before, and will again" "It's just anxiety, no big deal" "I can handle this" will work wonders. 

Don't try to resist it - that's where it gets it's power. Just give yourself a moment to breathe, and allow it to pass. No big deal. You got this! 

2002-2003 25mg Paxil CR due to PTSD and severe anxiety. 2005-2016 25mg Paxil CR due to resurgence of panic attacks and severe anxiety.

Started tapering late summer 2016.

Aug 2016 - 25mg CR immediate cut to 12.5mg CR, then held 4-5 months 

Jan 2017 - 12.5mg (CR) to 12.5mg (non CR), then after a week.

Jan/Feb 2017 - 12.5mg (non CR) taper down 2.5mg/week (1.25mg every 3-4 days), and felt no symptoms at all until debilitating withdrawal effects at 1.25mg, so immediately went back up to last stable dose of 2.5mg.

Held at 2.5mg. Experienced mild/moderate anxiety waves, brain zaps, lightheadedness, feeling fuzzy, cortisol spikes, burning/prickling skin and lots of anxious energy.

Tried Omega 3s for two days and experienced debilitating anxiety and depression (+urgent care visit), so stopped that 2/19. 

Mar 12 2017 - Switched to half liquid/half pill, had a minor spike in anxiety but it faded over a couple days

Mar 19 2017 - Switched to full liquid - 2.5mg/1.25ml - experienced a spike 7-8 days in, but stabilized over next week. Another awful spike over 4/12-4/16 due to inadvertently eating a ton of flax seed, but two amazing normal weeks followed that.

Tapering off liquid - 3/19 - 2.5mg, 4/30 - 2.25mg, 5/29 - 2.02mg, (weekend of depression around 7/2), 7/24 - 1.82mg, 9/4 - 1.64mg, slow taper (.04mg/wk) until .025ml liquid (0.50mg) last dose on 8/8/18, plus melatonin almost every night. Also daily mindfulness, CB therapy, exercise, and positive self talk. 1/2 lorazepam in emergencies (not since Sept 2017). Battle random nights of insomnia, and difficulty falling/staying asleep, lapses in focus, obsessive thought.

A/O Aug 9. 2018 - PAXIL FREE.

• Moderator Emeritus

And a good way to help you get into the habit is to set a timer so that you can "check in with yourself" throughout the day and do some breathing and/or relaxation.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

thank you for the encouragement. I was working myself up for sure. I just need to ride this out. Having some agitation. It's gonna take some time to transition. I'm 6 days no Paxil 40 mg Prozac. Is it possible I haven't felt the full effect of Prozac? I have read it can take 6 to 8 weeks to build and have effect. I'm almost at 6 weeks of initiating Prozac and 2 weeks from increasing from 20 to 40mg.

Additionally could I still be experiencing start up effects?

thank you for the encouragement. I was working myself up for sure. I just need to ride this out. Having some agitation. It's gonna take some time to transition. I'm 6 days no Paxil 40 mg Prozac. Is it possible I haven't felt the full effect of Prozac? I have read it can take 6 to 8 weeks to build and have effect. I'm almost at 6 weeks of initiating Prozac and 2 weeks from increasing from 20 to 40mg.

Additionally could I still be experiencing start up effects?

I would argue experiencing some agitation and anxiety is to be expected, and if it's mild enough, absolutely ride it out and try to stabilize. If it's preventing you from living your daily life  - that's when I would look at making a change. You have made so many changes over the past few weeks, and it sounds like you are far from where you once were. If this is true, just hang in there! 

2002-2003 25mg Paxil CR due to PTSD and severe anxiety. 2005-2016 25mg Paxil CR due to resurgence of panic attacks and severe anxiety.

Started tapering late summer 2016.

Aug 2016 - 25mg CR immediate cut to 12.5mg CR, then held 4-5 months 

Jan 2017 - 12.5mg (CR) to 12.5mg (non CR), then after a week.

Jan/Feb 2017 - 12.5mg (non CR) taper down 2.5mg/week (1.25mg every 3-4 days), and felt no symptoms at all until debilitating withdrawal effects at 1.25mg, so immediately went back up to last stable dose of 2.5mg.

Held at 2.5mg. Experienced mild/moderate anxiety waves, brain zaps, lightheadedness, feeling fuzzy, cortisol spikes, burning/prickling skin and lots of anxious energy.

Tried Omega 3s for two days and experienced debilitating anxiety and depression (+urgent care visit), so stopped that 2/19. 

Mar 12 2017 - Switched to half liquid/half pill, had a minor spike in anxiety but it faded over a couple days

Mar 19 2017 - Switched to full liquid - 2.5mg/1.25ml - experienced a spike 7-8 days in, but stabilized over next week. Another awful spike over 4/12-4/16 due to inadvertently eating a ton of flax seed, but two amazing normal weeks followed that.

Tapering off liquid - 3/19 - 2.5mg, 4/30 - 2.25mg, 5/29 - 2.02mg, (weekend of depression around 7/2), 7/24 - 1.82mg, 9/4 - 1.64mg, slow taper (.04mg/wk) until .025ml liquid (0.50mg) last dose on 8/8/18, plus melatonin almost every night. Also daily mindfulness, CB therapy, exercise, and positive self talk. 1/2 lorazepam in emergencies (not since Sept 2017). Battle random nights of insomnia, and difficulty falling/staying asleep, lapses in focus, obsessive thought.

A/O Aug 9. 2018 - PAXIL FREE.

I am now off Paxil and on Prozac.  Stabilizing.  Realizing what filthy dirty drug Paxil was.  I traded my dependency on Paxil for one on Prozac.  The lesser of two evils?  Hoping so.

• Moderator Emeritus

hey Snostorm - I'm a few pages behind but - 

Let them feel what it's like to come off when "the small percentage" of people have a bad time for a couple of weeks. 

Paroxetine has 69% of people complaining of withdrawal symptoms, according to the Royal College of Psychiatry, London.  I was just working up a chart from them comparing the different drugs, and nearly all of them have higher problems than are commonly reported.

see here:  http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/treatmentswellbeing/antidepressants/comingoffantidepressants.aspx

Now if I can find some doctorly references that say - 18 months is "normal" for withdrawal.

We just don't know how many people "relapse" and return to the drugs when those delayed withdrawals hit!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sno - 

catching up - 

I saw this:

I tested thyroid antibodies positive but not to a large degree.  Was told that this wasnt the cause  that Hashimotos disease was hypothyroid and no connection to my mental health issues was made.  Was told eventually my thyroid would burn out and I would need hormone replacement therapy someday. 

I learned an awful lot about thyroid and Hashi's at www.verywell.com.

It is a doctor approved website (so - not the usual "freaky internet stuff" that doctors don't like)

First, I learned that Hashi's antibodies are present for 3-5 years BEFORE you go into hypothyroid.  NEXT I learned that you can stave off the "inevitable" Hashi's destruction of the thyroid by taking the hormone before your levels go down.  FURTHER I learned that diet (autoimmune diet) can slow the progress of Hashi's.

here's a slew of articles:

https://www.verywell.com/hashimotos-thyroiditis-3231701

https://www.verywell.com/hashimotos-vs-hypothyroidism-whats-the-difference-3231721

https://www.verywell.com/nutritional-factors-that-affect-hashimoto-s-thyroiditis-4139796

https://www.verywell.com/hashimotos-thyroid-3976273

and finally - about Thyroid testing (there are controversies, and knowing what you are testing is an important part of taking charge of your thyroid process):

https://www.verywell.com/thyroid-testing-and-diagnosis-4013578

Additionally, we have found that these drugs and withdrawal from them can invoke autoimmune disorders - and problems that you have while in withdrawal may come right as you heal.  Low histamine diet (imagine that!) has been known to cut Hashi antibody numbers way down.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6722-auto-immune-diseases-triggered-by-ssri-withdrawal/

Then I see that your blood panels are normal?  Was it just a one off?

How's Ye Olde Prozac Bridge going?  Like Molly, I'm keeping fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for you!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!