If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Article in the Daily Mail: 'Doctors gave me depression pills I DIDN'T need for 20 years': Coming off his antidepressants drove Viscount Hinchingbrooke to the brink -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Madeleine

Madeleine

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Article in the Daily Mail: 'Doctors gave me depression pills I DIDN'T need for 20 years': Coming off his antidepressants drove Viscount Hinchingbrooke to the brink 

http://www.dailymail...d-20-years.html

March 15/2017: 3.75 zyprexa; January 16/2017: 6.25 mg; down from 10 mg December 2016
200 zoloft. Tapering that next.

#2 AmyK

AmyK

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

I read this. What a story.
It's impossible to sue doctors in my country though. (Sweden). Pity.

Tapering Zoloft since 2011. Current dose: 0,0003 mg (!)

0,00065 mg 18 May 0.001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March? 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg

2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg

2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg

2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg

2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg

2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks, then after two weeks up to 50 mg, which dose I was only on for five weeks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months on 25 mg/12 mg/18,75 mg I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the prevoius dose all the way from 17,5 mg.

#3 DrugfreeProf

DrugfreeProf

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

I read this, too, after Distraut (who lives in the UK) sent me the link. I think it is GREAT. Here is a member of the upper class who was harmed by these drugs and had the courage to speak out publicly against it.  He seemingly went through hell getting off of them. Imagine how much harder it is for most other people, who don't have the family support and $$ that this Viscount has. Good on him for getting this article into press, because it is not an easy thing to discuss--having a breakdown when getting off (or going on) psych drugs. Even harder to announce the corruption of the power structure--which all of us, really, need to be doing. This unethical, actually criminal experimentation on the most vulnerable members of the population all over the world must be exposed and stopped.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

#4 Martina23

Martina23

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

I liked the article also. It is great that he got a chance to speak about it in the newspaper. Here in Austria they dont even answer you, I would so much like to go away, somewhere where the system functions
05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-
symptoms OCD

#5 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

I know this story well so i only skimmed read it until i got to the bottom of the article.

Then i couldnt believe what i saw ..and watched and listened to

What really infuriates me is that NHS video at the bottom of the page is undermining the whole story... !!

This is what that clown says 'D is a very common illness' that was the very first sentence. As if they are mocking LM's story.

.."and it goes on for more than 2 weeks" ...Thats just because the pharma influenced fraudulent unvalidated DSM says so.

Then the doctor talked about drugs and other talking treatment.

What really made me laugh was when Dr Hague has talked about taking an antidpressant for moderate or severe D then the he says "Dont use alcohol as a drug as it is a very bad drug and doesn't necessarily help your mood at all "

"You certainly shouldnt use street drugs to try to help yourself feel better ...it makes D worse"

wtheck !! What about ad's they are very bad drugs they actually have the same effect as alcohol....to emotionally numb.

They are just as bad if not worse than street drugs. What about the withdrawal from ads why the heck was that not mentioned? Side effects? addiction?

Then he  finishes with put down some of your friends phone numbers to phone if feeling D and ALSO dont forget to put down your GPs number too ...!! Boy there is a lovely fate awaiting should your friends not pick up the phone.

Just sickening.

I wonder what the CEP team have to say about that little NHS video at the end of the article.

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#6 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,059 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

Good. Finally someone with the financial resources and media connections brought this issue to light. I'm glad that he co-founded the Council for Evidence-Based Psychiatry, cepuk.org. Let's hope the Council's work is so effective that they make themselves obsolete.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, exact doses and dates in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15; 5.1 mg (47) Mar. 25; 4.9 mg (45) Apr. 5; 4.5 mg (42) Apr. 14; 3.5 mg (32) Apr. 26;
Current dose: 2.6 mg (24) 2017-May-17
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

#7 LostInTheWoods

LostInTheWoods

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationJalisco, Mexico

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

20 years... I can empathize with the pain but at the same time, me being at like 5 years and with off times, can't probably imagine it.

However, it's damn scary how quickly do the years on these can pile on. During the "SSRI-spell", the passage of time kind of vanishes, or more properly the awareness of it.  Puts you in some sort of emotional, limbic limbo (pun unintended, yet appropiate) whose whole  meaning and weight its only felt on retrospective, when you actually opt out, and lures you into entering it again into it as the WD hits hard.

These link was also on display in the Mad In America site, so maybe the zeitgeist will turn.

Name LostInTheWoods evokes both the feeling of getting stranded, forsaken and alone in an alien, hostile environment and the chance to experience awareness, tranquility and self-discovery during the experience. Just call me Lost in the posts.

February 2012. After a crisis, a crippling anxiety that culminated in a panic attack. Started 20 mg Paxil and Clonazepam.

Clonazepam left quickly in the 2nd attempt.

About about a year on 20 mg, begin tapering.

June 2014, after several weeks on 5 mg and trying to dose down, went CT.

May 2015.Anxiety came back again, went to psychiatrist back. Fluoxetine was tried and left because of bad reaction, returned to paroxetine. Start tapering in mid 2016.

December 2016. After like 2 months of going 2,5 mg, stopped paroxetine.

Truth to be told, descended into a downward spiral of caffeine, alcohol and masturbation.

January  26, 2017. Wave with some tinnitus that was fixed by a visit to the ENT.

April 21, 2017. Acid reflux at night was a stressor that triggered another wave.Vices have been put into check and only a drink or two a week remain.

By May 7 stabilized with a little anxiety left and some pains.

#8 Distraut

Distraut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:31 PM

There is a follow-up article in today's Daily Mail - DO ANTI-DEPRESSANTS DAMAGE THE BRAIN?

http://www.dailymail...mage-brain.html

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron which was taken until  6th December 2016, decreased to 7.5 mg

Reducing since 24 December 2016.  Now taking approx. 0.625 mg & CBT weekly

#9 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Distraut thanks heaps for posting that.

Even before i clicked on the link i thought i wonder if the article will end with a video (again)...and i wonder what the last word from pharma will be this time and i wonder what the pharma doctor puppet will have to say this time.

Well i didnt read the article but went straight to the end to see if there was another video. My heart sank as i saw there indeed was another video and then to my joy i found this time truth had the last word. Now rather than the BS from pharma we got a video on akathisia i applaud the daily mail for that and couldnt be more pleased. Personally i think its a lot higher than 5% but hey things are looking up when it comes to being 'informed'.

Three cheers for the daily mail...now to go back and read the article....

nz11

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#10 DrugfreeProf

DrugfreeProf

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Great new book just coming out--I read the sample of the kindle edition--The sedated society: The causes and harms of our psychiatric drug epidemic, by James Davies. Here is a description, below. I plan to purchase the kindle book, which is a bit expensive ($30 U.S.) but worth it, in my opinion.  We need more of these exposes to come out in the mainstream press.

This edited volume provides an answer to a rising public health concern: what drives the over prescription of psychiatric medication epidemic? Over 15% of the UK public takes a psychiatric medication on any given day, and the numbers are only set to increase. Placing this figure alongside the emerging clinical and scientific data revealing their poor outcomes and the harms these medications often cause, their commercial success cannot be explained by their therapeutic efficacy.

Chapters from an interdisciplinary team of global experts in critical psychopharmacology rigorously examine how pharmaceutical sponsorship and marketing, diagnostic inflation, the manipulation and burying of negative clinical trials, lax medication regulation, and neoliberal public health policies have all been implicated in ever-rising psycho-pharmaceutical consumption. This volume will ignite a long-overdue public debate. It will be of interest to professionals in the field of mental health and researchers ranging from sociology of health, to medical anthropology and the political economy of health.

41hRpdYShmL._AC_US160_.jpg

FREE Shipping on eligible orders
Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on February 15, 2017.

Drugfree Prof

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

#11 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

Thank you for posting.   It was a familiar story to read and very much like the ones on this site. 

I too was told within 15 minutes of seeing my first psychiatrist that I had probably been depressed my whole life.  I was so exhausted, grief stricken and yes depressed from care taking my mom and over working for many years that I believed him.  Like the writer in this article I was relieved to know there was someone who could diagnose and help me.  I too went on and off 4 or 5 drug in a short period of time, and then became dependent on Xanax and Clonazapm.  From never taking any medication to being on 3  medications in a year. 

I'm glad people keep publicly sharing their stories. 

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 6 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 6 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: I tarted tapering Remeron from January 2015-April 2017-2 years, 3 months.  Started tapering Lamictal July 2015.  Tapered both medications together till I got to the lower doses of Remeron.   Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety.

12/21/16 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs 3/4/17 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 21.25 3/14 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 20mgs 3/22 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 20mg 3/25 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 18.75mgs 3/30 Remeron 0.025 4/7 Lamictal 18.75mgs Remeron 0.025 5/19/17 Lamictal 17.50

4/7/2017 Remeron Free stopped at 0.025mgs

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200 Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#12 powerback

powerback

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

Heard bout this guy a while ago its great hes telling hes story ,we all need someone that can penetrate the public eye like this .I by no means want to sound pesimistic but drop in the ocean comes to my mind here .

The reality is someone high up in government would have to go throught the same hell for anything to change ,its such a mess and a lot of governments around the world at that.

we are looking at decades for change I reckon.

Big pharma has built a gigantic conglomerate around these drugs ,taxes and jobs and lives built around it ,I hate to say it but it could be to big to fail.the same with the banks and big oil companies.

Just look at the thousands of court cases that settle out of court to do with big pharma and then the records are buried .

On a positive note all of us on this site and amazing people like Robert Whitaker will eventually bring the change so I will never give up the fight and will always follow and welcome all the change hopefully to come .

June 2012 citroll 10mg

​July 2012 citroll 20 mg

​September 2013 Lexapro 20mg

October 2014 venlafaxine xl 75mg

January 2015 venlafaxine xl 37.5mg

April 2015 venlafaxine xl 75mg

June 2015 venlafaxine 37.5mg ..this is my current dose to this day at present

IVE had 2 unsuccessful tapers in the last year . 

#13 powerback

powerback

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

Great new book just coming out--I read the sample of the kindle edition--The sedated society: The causes and harms of our psychiatric drug epidemic, by James Davies. Here is a description, below. I plan to purchase the kindle book, which is a bit expensive ($30 U.S.) but worth it, in my opinion.  We need more of these exposes to come out in the mainstream press.

This edited volume provides an answer to a rising public health concern: what drives the over prescription of psychiatric medication epidemic? Over 15% of the UK public takes a psychiatric medication on any given day, and the numbers are only set to increase. Placing this figure alongside the emerging clinical and scientific data revealing their poor outcomes and the harms these medications often cause, their commercial success cannot be explained by their therapeutic efficacy.

Chapters from an interdisciplinary team of global experts in critical psychopharmacology rigorously examine how pharmaceutical sponsorship and marketing, diagnostic inflation, the manipulation and burying of negative clinical trials, lax medication regulation, and neoliberal public health policies have all been implicated in ever-rising psycho-pharmaceutical consumption. This volume will ignite a long-overdue public debate. It will be of interest to professionals in the field of mental health and researchers ranging from sociology of health, to medical anthropology and the political economy of health.

41hRpdYShmL._AC_US160_.jpg

FREE Shipping on eligible orders
Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on February 15, 2017.

thanks for posting this ,ile b keeping and eye out for it ,give it a while till price comes down :) 

June 2012 citroll 10mg

​July 2012 citroll 20 mg

​September 2013 Lexapro 20mg

October 2014 venlafaxine xl 75mg

January 2015 venlafaxine xl 37.5mg

April 2015 venlafaxine xl 75mg

June 2015 venlafaxine 37.5mg ..this is my current dose to this day at present

IVE had 2 unsuccessful tapers in the last year . 

#14 Distraut

Distraut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

For those of you who can access it, tomorrow, Sunday 12th February, on BBC Radio 5 from 11.0 - 12.0 am here is a programme on anti-depressants.

James Moore started a Petition on Change.org to get assistance with tapering medication:

Make Pharmaceutical firms help users who want to stop taking anxiety & depression drugs

:

https://www.change.o...ocation=minibar

BBC Radio 5 live investigates

KTRngJDWsEevkte-128x128-noPad.jpg?147189
James Moore
Caldicot, United Kingdom
vUbnistEvwTdzBK-800x450-noPad.jpg?148680

11 Feb 2017 — Hello there

As we approach 1,400 signatures, I wanted to let you know that BBC Radio 5 live are broadcasting a programme on antidepressants on Sunday 12 February from 1100 to 1200. I am interviewed as part of the program. If you could listen in that would be great, if you felt like making contact with the show to share your experiences that would be even better.

Here's a link to the programmes web page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b08dnpkn

Contact details are:
Phone 0500 909 693
SMS 85058
Email: 5liveinvestigates@bbc.co.uk
Facebook: www.facebook.com/5live
Twiter: @BBC5live

Thank you, as always, for your signatures and your support.

James

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron which was taken until  6th December 2016, decreased to 7.5 mg

#15 DrugfreeProf

DrugfreeProf

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

This looks just great, Distraut. It looks like it will be archives and available on the BBC radio link you provided shortly after the show is aired. It is so good to see these things coming to light at last, and on such a mainstream outlet as the BBC.

Drugfree Prof

#16 Distraut

Distraut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

This radio programme should now be available on BBC catch up:

change-logo-106-22.png spacer1.gifKTRngJDWsEevkte-fullsize.jpg

James Moore just posted an update on Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt: Make Pharmaceutical firms help users who want to stop taking anxiety & depression drugs

spacer1.gif BBC Radio 5 live programme spacer1.gif

For those that are interested the full BBC Radio 5 live programme on antidepressants can be accessed here... http://www.bbc.co.uk...es/b08dnpkn#plaThank you.

spacer1.gifRead full update spacer1.gif

#17 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

"Six years after taking my last dose of antidepressants, I am still suffering from their effects. 

I have constant nerve pain all over my body, like a burning pins and needles sensation. 

I'm agitated much of the time and I lose my temper quickly — perhaps understandable for someone always in pain. 

I also have tinnitus and can sometimes feel muscles twitching in different parts of my body.

I can't have sugar, caffeine or alcohol, as these all intensify the symptoms

That is about where I was at 6 years off I wonder if in 9 years he will have a movement disorder?

"It may take a decade or more before today's mass psychiatric drugging is consigned to the bulging dustbin of failed psychiatric treatments — but I hope that telling my story will help bring the date forward, and thereby reduce this entirely unnecessary contribution to human suffering. "  

Maybe his name will help his story is just another story like all our stories... I hope they listen to him I don't care why.  Just listen and change this.... 

Thanks for the heads up on the video at the end NZ I skipped I don't need any more aggravation today.

I see a couple of news books are in the offering ... I wonder if they will say anything new I have so many now most say the same things ... in a bit different way.  

Let me know if any are worth buying... my book budget is maxed out buy multiple chemical sensitivity books from the pot to the fire that is how this has gone for me and I wonder how much these drugs have to do with MCS... I wonder. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivinganti...ng-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)