KD0105: Cymbalta

KD0105

Welcome, KD0105. Please read this topic from the beginning. Counting beads is the only way to taper Cymbalta. Some people weigh them to be sure dosing is consistent.

Thanks! My 60mg cymbalta has the 12 bigger beads. Some say I need to get the caplets with the hundreds of tiny beads. What is the consensus here?

I have been on 11 of the 12 beads for 2 months now and am pretty stable. I am thinking of going to 10 of 12 beads for the next cut. If I feel too awful, I can always go back to the 11/12? Is this okay strategy?

I realize that when I get down further, I will have to get the ones with the tiny beads so my cuts are not so large percentage wise.

Thanks for being here for us!!!

Edited by scallywag
posted moved from Tips for Tapering Cymbalta

I've been on 60mg Cymbalta for 10 years. I attempted a slow taper 5 years ago and did not make it. This time I know more!  :wub:

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post to your Intro/Update topic because it is about your own situation and will keep your history in one place.

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose.  It might be a better idea to go from 12 to 11 instead of ten.

My calculation is that 11 beads would be a 9% drop, whereas 10 beads would be about a 17% drop.  So yes, if it was me, I would definitely be going to 11 beads instead of doing a bigger drop and then having to try and stabilise if things go wrong.  Some members have found that once they destabilise their CNS (central nervous system) that they are unable to become fully stable.  It's not worth the risk.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi ChessieCat! Thanks for moving this for me!

In early December 2016 I went from 12 bead to 11. These are the bigger beads. I'm stable on 11 beads so it's time to go from 11 to 10, possibly this weekend.

I know when I get down lower, I will have to find the cymbalta that has the tiny little beads (hundreds) so my taper won't be so large. 

KD

I've been on 60mg Cymbalta for 10 years. I attempted a slow taper 5 years ago and did not make it. This time I know more!  :wub:

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry KD,

I obviously wasn't completely with it this morning when I "read" your post.  For some reason I only saw the 10 of 12 and thought danger!!!

Pleased to know that you have already been on the 11 beads for the 2 months.  10 beads and 9 beads will still be under and equal to 10% respectively.  It will be once you go under the 9 beads that you might want to consider switching to the pesky little so and sos!

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Today was the first day I took 10/12. The only thing I noticed is my tinnitus is a little louder. I can deal with that! I'll check in later this week to update.

:)

I'm on my second day of my second cut... down to 10 balls (beads, what are these called?) out of 12. 

So far so good!   B)  B)

Good job!! Remember slow and steady

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

KD - some people call the contents of the generic capsules "mini-pills."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Good job!! Remember slow and steady

Thanks Ali, I intend to go slow and steady!! 5 years ago I weaned by counting the little balls (I had never read anything about it, just figured that's how I had to do it) and took about 6 months to do it. After being totally off for about a month, I caved and went back on. But after reading this site, I now know much more and am better prepared to get off this drug.

KD - some people call the contents of the generic capsules "mini-pills."

Thanks scallywag! How would I know which pharmacies have cymbalta with the mini-pills vs. the tiny balls?

2nd day on 10 of 12 mini-pills and I'm feeling pretty good! 

In Italy I have found only cymbalta with micro spheres,

It is problematic to divide the dose

September 2013 - decembre 2013 : sulamid 50mg  for 10gg, sulamid 25mg for 10gg + citalopram 15 drops with bad result

December 2013 - july 2014: sulamid 25mg + cymbalta 60mg

july 2014 - may 2015: cymbalta 60mg

june 2015 attempt to reduce the dose of cymbalta to 30mg. failed

june 2015 - january 2017: cymbalta 60mg

January 2017: Failed attempt to tapering cymbalta with terrible withdrawal symptoms.

Now I still taking 60mg of cymbalta.

In these years I have made occasional use of xanax (15/20 drops)

• Moderator Emeritus

KD - the mini-pills are from generic manufacturers; the tiny beads are used by Lilly, the name brand manufacturer.

The name brand is, of course, more expensive. However, you'll use fewer capsules every month as you taper.

A word of caution about generics:

There are multiple generic manufacturers for many medications, including for duloxetine (aka Cymbalta). This page lists those who have FDA approvals to manufacture generic duloxetine and distribute it in the USA. Generic duloxetine manufacturers.

The label on your prescription will have an abbreviation for the manufacturer, e.g. APO (apotex) or ANC (anchen) or TEV (teva). If you can't find the abbreviation, the label should also have an FDA assigned number specific to that manufacturer's formulation at that specific dosage.  You can use that number to look up the manufacturer, probably on the FDA website. (Living in Canada, I have Canadian government information and links, not those for the US.)

Some people react to their medication after having had no previous problems, when the pharmacy substitutes a generic drug from one generic manufacturer to another, e.g. November prescription filled using Apotex generic, December prescription filled using Teva generic. Reactions are usually caused by the differences are between the fillers and maybe even the capsules and mini-pill coatings, not the duloxetine itself.

If your pharmacy is responsive to such requests, ask to have your prescription filled each time with medication from the same manufacturer.  Insurance company policies sometimes limits your flexibility on these issues.

If you can't specify the generic manufacturer, do your best to avoid dose reductions at the same time as you start taking duloxetine from a different manufacturer.

Not everybody has this level of sensitivity. I hope you don't!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Supermario, I am sorry that you have the micro spheres, is this the one with uneven sizes in each pill? Can you get the brand name?

Thanks scallywag, I'm on the 60mg from LUPIN LTD. 

​I really dislike the pharmaceutical companies for not warning doctors about the withdrawal from these drugs. And now I'm going to have to pay more to Eli-Lilly just to get the brand name to wean off. At lease my doctor understands and will go with the brand name.

Some drug company should come up with a pill to make weaning off C easier, they'd make a fortune!   :wacko: 

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size

• Moderator Emeritus

There are petitions to force manufacturers to provide "taper packages." I believe that one active petition is for the U.K. And if I recall correctly, a the Netherlands requires that manufacturers provide small number of medications in taper-level doses. 

I came up with this idea too when I had a rough experience tapering off Effexor XR in 2004/5.  After reading how ChessieCat orders compounded doses, I think taper doses should be available in denominations just like currency, 5 mg, 2 mg (we have $2 coins in Canada), 1 mg, 0.25 mg, 0.1 mg, and 0.05 mg. That way people could make up doses to fit a 5% or 10% taper.  Heck, pharmacies already offer to make up daily foil packs for people who take different combinations of medications at different times of day; it would be just as easy to make custom taper packs for people.

scallywag's Introduction