SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Shortcake: Effexor withdrawal. When will it end?

Shortcake

Most of my anxiety was gone until this withdrawal hit.

Started weaning from Effexor XR (put on these in 1999)in September 2013 150 mg by removing a few little balls a week and ended at 8 mg January 2017. ER doctor stopped them January 3rd, 2017 due to what she thought was seratonin syndrome. I now know it was withdrawal.

Reinstated 2.25mg Effexor Xr February 4, 2017

Previous meds Zoloft 1997-1999 stopped abruptly July 1999. A few months later I was diagnosed as bipolar and put on Effexor XR, Epival, and Trazadone. A few years after that I was told the bipolar was a misdiagnoses and they stopped the Epival. At some point I stopped the trazadone myself.

Supplements:omega 3 fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium, high dose probiotic.Ativan when needed

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shortcake

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

• baroquep

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Things I used to do when I had bad anxiety in w/d:  Sip at cold water.  (Some people dissolve magnesium in it too).  Have a hot bath with epsom salts.  Listen to soothing music.  Lie on my back with my legs up the wall.  Sit outside on the grass.  Cuddle my dog.  Listen to a guided meditation (you can google them).  Eat porridge (oats are very soothing).

It's good your mum is with you.  She'll be much more soothing than a hospital.  This is the time to really step up your self-care and soothe your way through this.  Remember that neuro-emotions can make everything appear much worse than it is.  

I know it's scary - I remember that feeling so clearly - and I'm sorry your feeling this now.  Try to hold on to the fact that many of us here have made it through, and stabilised, and now we are doing pretty well.  You will too.

Big hugs for you today,

Karen 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I cant stop shaking. I feel so sick. Why is this getting worse? When do i go to the hospital?

Started weaning from Effexor XR (put on these in 1999)in September 2013 150 mg by removing a few little balls a week and ended at 8 mg January 2017. ER doctor stopped them January 3rd, 2017 due to what she thought was seratonin syndrome. I now know it was withdrawal.

Previous meds Zoloft 1997-1999 stopped abruptly July 1999. A few months later I was diagnosed as bipolar and put on Effexor XR, Epival, and Trazadone. A few years after that I was told the bipolar was a misdiagnoses and they stopped the Epival. At some point I stopped the trazadone myself.

Supplements:omega 3 fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium, high dose probiotic.Ativan when needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you reinstated as suggested previously?  If you haven't taken any, you may find that your symptoms may start to reduce within the first day, possibly within a few hours.  Going to the hospital generally results in SA members being put onto a higher dose than is necessary and sometimes being given additional drug/s.

Reinstatement:

If you reinstate now, try between ¼ and ½ of your last dose, so between 11 and 22 beads. Pick a number between 11 and 22 beads. Take the same number of beads at the same time each day. If you have new severe symptoms or dramatic worsening of your current symptoms, stop the reinstatement. Otherwise, give yourself about 2 weeks: 4-5 days for the Effexor to reach a steady state and another 10 days for your CNS to start to stop the frantic work it started when you stopped taking Effexor.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I am going to reinstate tomorrow morning. Tonight has been the worst for withdrawal yet.

Have symptoms reduced quickly afrer people reinstate?

• Moderator Emeritus

Speaking from my own experience, I reduced my dose from 100mg Pristiq to 50mg.  After about 2 1/2 weeks of suffering a very foggy head I researched antidepressant withdrawal and thankfully found SA.  At the end of 3 weeks I was not able to type.  I am a professional typist so I was able to tell that something wasn't right.  I updosed and within 4 hours I was able to type again and my foggy head was clearing.

If you are feeling so bad my suggestion would be to reinstate a small dose immediately and then over the next few days bring your dose forward by about an hour (from the time you are taking it now, so in 23 hours' time instead of 24) until you are taking it at your regular time.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Your CNS react differently to meds now. This is very common in WD. Try to stay away from stimulants: No caffeine, not too much sugar etc. Any supplements and medications could trigger stress in your nervous system. It could be useful to write a log to keep track of your symptoms and reactions to meds and supplements. Some find magnesium and fish oil helps, but not all. Im extremely sensitive and have to stay away from all meds and supplements. I make juice from fresh fruit/vegetables only. No chemicals.

Everybodys nervous system is unique, so you need to find out whats best for yours. Reinstating at a very low dose is the way to go. If the dose is too high for your CNS, it can take a long time to correct. If you reinstate you need to give your CNS time to stabilize and you need to take care of yourself when you heal. Try not to focus to much on your symptoms and keep calm.

<p>Sept 2015: 5 mg Cipralex for 3 weeks. Lots of side effects. Reduced to 2.5 mg for 2 weeks. Experiencing withdrawal and side effects still after dose reduction. Quit after almost 4 weeks on 2.5 mg because of adverse effects. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms still. Reinstating 1mg after 3 weeks. Reduced to 0.50 after 2 days due to sensitive reaction (dysautonomia) and trip to ER. January 2016: After 14 months of tapering from 0.5 mg im now down to 0.08mg. Planing on one more drop before 4-8 weeks healing, then jump to zero. 14.03.17: Lexapro free!

Hi jen sorry for your pain ,i am also on effexor [37.5].i tapered with 5 beads out then up to 9 out from march till June last year ,my system seems very sensitive to reduction so I'm on back holding on 37.5 .

It is  frustrating and scary but in time u will look back and realise what u got through is inspiring.

I worked through scary symptoms in the last year, we don't realise what we can achieve so try b patient with yourself ,I'm not working at the moment because I need rest, so I try and respect that .

I often listen to stories on YouTube bout anxiety and  other symptoms. it  has given  me great insight and tips

I find distraction techniques is a must ,anything u feel up to at the time because we can reinforce our anger and symptoms when we ruminate .also there's a great app called TED I often listen to the stories on that its brilliant .

I exercise as often as possible ,some days I feel so self-conscious  about the  world around me I stick the shades on and stick the  earphones in and shut the world out ,it works and I'm always glad I got out for a walk .

if there's days I'm too tired I've learned to accept it and I spend the time researching ways to better my

circumstances.

My big distraction technique is diet and lifestyle and what I've learned is amazing the better we eat, it only helps with the symptoms we all go through.

A DR called john Bergan has been a huge inspiration for me well worth a check on YouTube ,he has a passion for helping people with there health and understanding how the body works, he goes way beyond the modern doctors that  are only prescription signers .

U are at the best place here, I've  found this site amazing for understanding and helping me

Take great care .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Shortcake when you take melatonin, you should start at a low dose, 250 mcg (0.25 mg), or lower.

I was able to find 1 mg tablets of melatonin by Natural Factors in a nothing-special health food store local to me.

For easy reference:

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks guys! I was having horrible panic attacks last night. Just getting out of bed for the day now and will reinstate at 2mg. Fingers crossed.

Okay so I read some of that topic but it seems to be mostly about tapering down? Once I reinstate I should wait 2 weeks right? Then how do I know if I should updose or stay there? I guess its wait and see?

• Moderator Emeritus

The process of adjustment to a new dose is the same -- whether the dose is a reinstatement, updose or reduction.

Reinstate. Take the same dose at the same time every day.  Take notes of the time you take your dose and the time your symptoms occur.

(link previously provided: This post has a useful format for a daily log:  Take notes of doses and symptoms.)

After 2 weeks, assess: Are your symptoms tolerable?

• If yes, then stay where you are.
  • If no, then either
    • increase a small amount (3 or 4 beads),
      -- or --
    • post requesting input about next step with a few days of your notes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Reinstated 2.25mg Effexor Xr yesterday and so far my symptoms have lessened. I had a great window yesterday and felt amazing. Some symtpoms again today though but not as bad as before.

Day 1:

930- woke up, slightly dizzy, out of it, nauseous

10am-reinstated 2.25mg effexor xr

1015-1/2 cup half caff coffee

11-breakfast

1115-fish oil, vit c, b complex

12-taste of metal on mouth, anxiety

130- 1/2 cup half caff coffee

145 snack

345- lunch

615 supper, fish oil, vit d, vit c, multi

830 snack, ginger gravol

940 magnesium, probiotic

10 went to bed

1030 nausea, slight anxiety

1am fell asleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Some thoughts:  If it were me, I'd cut out the coffee completely, take the fish oil in the morning, and stop the b-vitamins (unless you were already taking them before you got into w/d). 

Thanks for providing your daily symptom notes.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

All of the supplements I have been taking for years. Could the b complex be hurting me? I thought it was good for the brain? I take 2 capsules of fish oil in the morning and 2 more with supper. Should i take all 4 at once?

I actually bought decaf coffee today :)

• Moderator Emeritus

If you've been taking the b vitamin for years, then it's fine.  It's only when people start taking it when they are already destabilised by w/d that it seems to be more activating for them. 

Awesome about the coffee!  (So hard to make coffee changes, isn't it?)  Even now, after over a year being off coffee, I still walk past coffee shops and breathe it in deeply :P.

Hmm, you've got me thinking about the fish oil.  I've always taken it it the morning, as when I started it I went through SA noting down when best to take different things, but now I can't find anything discussing that, so lord knows where I got that from, and you should probably ignore what I said about fish oil!  (Unless you notice it causing you issues).

8 month hold.

Shortcake, just read through your post.  I hope you have a better day today and begin feeling better.  I don't any suggestions as the moderators are leading you down the right path.  Only be gentle with yourself.  I'm routing for you.  ((((( hugs )))))

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

KarenB, I troed taking the under the tongue ones, which I had only been taking for a couple of months (i believe i was withdrawing since early fall) amd it seems to key me up. So i cut those out for now.

I don't mind the coffee change so much as I drink instant, and instant regular and decaf all taste pretty crappy anyway lol So not a huge difference.

I'm wondering if I shoild up my fish oil, as I read in a post here that you shoild be getting between 2000-3000 epa a day and the 4 Im taking bring me to about 1700mg.

Mustangwoman, thank you so much *hugs*

Oh, also wondering, is there a way to change your screen name on here?

Day 2 of reinstatement:

7- awake

8-10- back to sleep

10-up for the day, half caff coffe (1/2 cup)

1015- 2.25mg Effexor Xr, little dizzy

1120- breakfast, fish oil, vit c, b complex

12- other half of half caff coffee

1210- upset stomach, ginger gravol

1215- slight anxiety, .5mg ativan

1- anxiety++, feeling out of it(heading out for groceries)

4- decaf tea

530- supper, fish oil, vot c, multi vitamin

630 decaf tea

7- feeling shaky

9- 26 minute meditation

945- magnesium, vit d, probiotic

10- bed

11- asleep

Hi Shortcake,

I'm not an expert by any means but have you ever considered cutting back a bit on the supplements you are taking?

That's quite a list.

B complex, b 12 sublingual, omega 3 fish oil, turmeric, vitamin c, vitamin d, multi vitamin, magnesium, high dose probiotic

This is just my opinion but I feel at some point supplements could also do more harm than good.

Just something you might want to consider.

Hello btw from a fellow Canadian.

I feel that they are all beneficial in their own way. They all do different things. I could understand that mindset if I was taking a ton of just 1 supplement.

• Moderator Emeritus

You could increase the fish oil, but perhaps wait until this latest reduction has settled out first.  One change at a time!  I get a fish-oil which has the recommended amount in one pill.  Easy. 

Alto only does name changes if a person has accidentally used their real name, and people could identify them by it. 

8 month hold.

People could definitely identify me by this and I need the name change. Is there a way for me to private message Alto?

Okay messaged Alto. I wonder if my brand fish oil is high enough quality? Its just the Costco brand.

To message someone click on their name. (For instance if you click on my name in this post, you will get to my profile. ) From the profile page you can send a direct message.  For now, you could also change your location in your settings to just have your province or country. That way, it's less likely someone can identify you.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Thank you Madeleine :)

Reinstatement day 4.

6am- up

730- decaf coffee

830-10 back to sleep

1025- decaf coffee 2.25mg Effexor XR

1115- brunch, fish oil, vit c, b complex.

2pm- lunch

430 headaches, sensitive to noise.

6- supper, fish oil, multi, vit c

8- vit d, probiotic, magnesium

830- agitated

9- meditation

1030-asleep

Had weird random headaches all day. Little pains all over my brain in random spots, not lasting long but moving around. Like brain zaps but not electrical feeling

This was yesterdays and I have to say I feel like the symptoms have lessened slightly.

Saw my family doctor today who really had no idea what to do with me. She said she wouldnt have thought that an abript stop at 8mg would have had ANY withdrawal. She has never seen this before.

I'm so impatient. I just want to be better.

Has ANYONE made a full recovery after reinstating?

When can I do my next updose again? I don't even care about getting off the drugs anymore I just need to get back to good. I had my life completely under control until i started tapering too fast and the er doc stopped them altogether. Put me back if it will fix it.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's very important to try and be patient and stay as calm as possible during this time.

Giving in to desperation may end up causing long term issues.

Being supported here at SA can help with this.  Instead of thinking in terms of "getting back to good" maybe think in terms of "improving".  It is important to learn Non-drug techniques to cope

Understanding the process can help with this.  You have been given the links to the information.  I suggest you read your Intro topic from the beginning and read or re-read the links previously provided.

Thank you ChessieCat. Sometimes I just need a reminder that this is normal. These intense emotions really throw me for a loop.

I have begun meditation again and will check out that link above. Thank you :)

I got the brain zap sensation when I re-instated after withdrawal.  I know it sounds crazy, but this is a good sign.  I'm hoping that sooner rather than later you will feel much better.  I never could take B vitamins in acute withdrawal/reinstatement, I still can't.  I think our systems are just super sensitive during those times.  I'm not saying that is the case for you.  I think you're brain is working very hard right now.  Be gentle with yourself. ;)

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shortcake, Thought I'd offer some support as I'm also tapering Effexor.  I won't go into my full story, you can read my thread if you are interested, but do know that at the beginning it was very very difficult.  Our stories are a little different, but maybe something I write might help you to feel a little stronger and more hopeful.

I switched from Pristiq to Effexor in order to taper properly and initially thought I was going mad and thought the craziness would never end.  Too many awful symptoms to list.  Thank God the central nervous system does settle down eventually, though it might take you a little longer as you jumped off at 8mg.  As much as I wanted to find something that would help, Ativan, a gun (lol) ... Chessie Cat encouraged me to stay the course and I'm glad I did as it does get better, it really just takes time.  I think it took me about a month or so to start feeling somewhat normal again. Now I have more good days than bad.  It really does get better as each day goes by even though it doesn't feel like it ever will.  

Also noticed that you are (were) taking vitamin B12.  I had a really bad reaction to a couple of supplements that I'd been taking long-term previously one was B12 and the other one was niacinamide, so I do think you have to be careful with supplements, especially the B vitamins.  Seems B vitamins cause a lot of problems for people in withdrawal.  Don't know if it's helped or not, but I religiously take at a minimum 4,000 mg Omega 3s and 600 mg magnesium every day.    

Anyway, hope you are feeling a little better soon.  Hang in there, it does get better.  

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Mustangwoman, i hope I feel better soon too. This is all just so overwhelming right now. As I'm sure it is for everyone here. I am so thankful I found this group. I dont know what I would have done. Probably ended up in emerge. I have stopped the b 12, but still taking the b complex. I thought b vitamins were good for anxiety?

Baroquep. Thank you for sharing your story. It's so nice to have others who have been through the same thing to talk to.

I think the craziness is the WORST part of this. I can handle the dizzy the nausea... but when my brain starts thinking im going crazy... and the thoughta of never getting better, never being able to work to support my daughter. I literally signed a new lease in November. Those are the worst thoughts.

I am still under 2000 epa with my fish oil, and 200mg with magnesium. I wonder if its worth a shot upping them? Makes me nervous while in withdrawal. Did you up yours while going through this or were you on that dose prior to?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shortcake, yes, the tricks of the mind are the worst of it for sure.  It will settle down though, know that, even when your mind tries to convince you otherwise.  There is a safe way off and you are in good hands here.  The moderators have a lot of experience dealing with withdrawal and know what they speak of.  Found it helped me to read a lot of the stories on the site so I knew what to expect.  It's pretty scary that many of the symptoms you will experience over the course of your taper have happened to so many before you.  It's reassuring in so many ways to know that this is normal, at least normal for withdrawal.  

I upped my Omegas when I started tapering as I read they were really beneficial and I'll pop an extra here and there just for good measure, lol.  Not sure why B vitamins seems to affect so many in withdrawal so I only take a B complex made by AOR once a day just to be safe.  You will get more comfortable once you are further along in your journey as you'll know what to expect as each month goes by.  Withdrawal starts to follow a pattern that you'll start to notice and be able prepare for.  Think it is particularly frightening at the beginning because it just doesn't make any logical sense as to why or what is happening.  You will start to feel a lot better as time goes on and you won't look back, you'll just get stronger and stronger and more comfortable with the process.  Hang in there.     

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Thanks Baroquep :) at this point I dont even care about going off the meds. If the meds help me live then fine, I'll take them. I was stopped abruptly by an er doctor (where i work), and it was not the right thing. I didn't want to stop them. I HAD been tapering but planned to still be tapering for a while. Right now I want whatever will let me function. I am a single mom to an almost 3 year old. Right now I can't function. I have to have my mom with me at all times. I have 3 more months off work. I just need to find a good level so i can support myself and my daughter. If that means staying on meds then thats what i will do. This waiting game is killer. Im the kind of girl who needs a plan at all times... not knowing right now is difficult.