SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Shortcake: Effexor withdrawal. When will it end?

Shortcake

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad my math explanation helped.  You could try 1 extra bead to start with.

Some people have mentioned that they can get windows and waves moment by moment throughout a day, so I don't think what you are experiencing is anything unusual.

I'm not sure if it's been posted before but this really helps me (I think because I have solved a Rubiks cube by following along with a YouTube video and realise how messed up it can seem at times and because it is visual) to remember what is going on Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shortcake

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

• baroquep

Top Posters In This Topic

I can go from window to wave on alternate days.  We just have to try and ride it out.

What about the Ativan "as required"?  I have experience of that medication, years ago.  It could be a big fly in the ointment, so to speak.  It is notorious, and was, even in the 1980s just after it came out.  "Non-addictive !", they shouted.

I found it relieved anxiety for a few hours but eventually gave chronic depression.

I believe nowadays, our GPs are instructed to prescribe it for only a max of four weeks.

However, it is perfectly understandable that you will have needed extra anxiety relief after your traumas.

Best wishes,

peng

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Thank you Chessie, I had seen that before but it was a good reminder.  Sometimes I forget I have withdrawal and I think "wow... My mind is really messed up.  I need drugs or something"  but the drugs did this.  I just want to get back to myself.  Something needs to change soon because i feel like at times things are getting WORSE.  

Peng, yeah... I have a love hate relationship with ativan. Sometimes i really need it to get me through hard times... But i dont like the after effects.  I dont take it "willy nilly", only when its a last resort.  

All i know is that i cant do this for much longer.  I need to get back to work to pay the bills and rent.  I need to be a good mom again.  Ill do whatever it takes.

Started weaning from Effexor XR (put on these in 1999)in September 2013 150 mg by removing a few little balls a week and ended at 8 mg January 2017. ER doctor stopped them January 3rd, 2017 due to what she thought was seratonin syndrome. I now know it was withdrawal.

Reinstated 2.25mg Effexor Xr February 4, 2017

Previous meds Zoloft 1997-1999 stopped abruptly July 1999. A few months later I was diagnosed as bipolar and put on Effexor XR, Epival, and Trazadone. A few years after that I was told the bipolar was a misdiagnoses and they stopped the Epival. At some point I stopped the trazadone myself.

Supplements:omega 3 fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium, high dose probiotic.Ativan when needed

Ativan is probably the worst thing you could subject your already delicate nervous system to....be careful. :)

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Today is day 1 of my 1 bead updose.  Nervous.  

Started weaning from Effexor XR (put on these in 1999)in September 2013 150 mg by removing a few little balls a week and ended at 8 mg January 2017. ER doctor stopped them January 3rd, 2017 due to what she thought was seratonin syndrome. I now know it was withdrawal.

Previous meds Zoloft 1997-1999 stopped abruptly July 1999. A few months later I was diagnosed as bipolar and put on Effexor XR, Epival, and Trazadone. A few years after that I was told the bipolar was a misdiagnoses and they stopped the Epival. At some point I stopped the trazadone myself.

Supplements:omega 3 fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium, high dose probiotic.Ativan when needed

So far feeling shaky/gross/tired.  I dont like the way this makes me feel.  Does the feeling go away after a few days?  Normal to feel icky when updosing? Like I feel shaky like my whole body is staticky? Like t.v. static? Lol.  

Now I'm not sure if I want to do this.   

How are things going for you?

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

I couldnt do it.  Day 1 and I just felt so weird.  Like a body buzz.  And I had insane diahrea and even my 3 year old (who I nurse) had diahrea.  After a 7 week wave I had just hit a window and then did the updose and felt like crap.  I just couldnt bring myself to do it again the next day.  

I'm in my window and I feel great.  Again better than I did last window.  I feel like after each wave I'm that much better.  I thought of it like if you fall and get shards of glass in a cut.  While they are removing the glass and cleaning it, it hurts sooooo much but they are actually healing it.  So when I'm in a wave it is literal hell... But my brain is healing.  And when the wave is done it feels better.  Youve improved.  You just need to get through the bad parts and there's light on the other side.  

Someone please remind me next wave lol.  

I had an ultrasound appt at my work today and actually talked to them about coming back.  Thst is my goal.  Back to work.  I want to go back so bad and in a window I could do it, but whats holding me back are the waves.  I'm not sure I could do it while in a wave.  Luckily for me tho I never work full time.  And my supervisor today said I could just work even once a week if I want.  I'm just still scared.  

• 2 months later...

Well things had been improving.  Haven't had a big wave since July.  But still battling gi problems.  Recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and was diagnosed as ibs and diverticulosis.  Still waiting on celiac biopsy.  I started the fodmap diet for ibs with the help of a registered dietician.  And I felt even mentally better the first week. However I'm having a flare up now.  My whole body aches, nausea, diahrea, feeling of full, increased anxiety.  Others have mentioned talking to my doctor about sibo or fibromyalgia.  I should mention mental health issues and ibs/gut issues run in my family.

I'm wondering... Could the effexor have been treating all these things?  I had gut issues prior to effexor and they went away.  Go off effexor and major gut issues.  I wonder if it was not only treating my anxiety but also my ibs and whatever else I may have. 

Could all my current issues be from withdrawal?  I feel like mentally ive come so far but now I'm battling these gi issues.  

I'm scheduled to return to work in 2 weeks and with these flare ups I don't see myself being able to go.  If I don't go.. I lose my home.  

Okay so just got diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  Doc gave me lyrica.  Not sure I want to take it.  Still on 2.25mg effexor xr.  Is there anyway this could be a withdrawal symptom?  

I just read "The causes of fibromyalgia are unclear. They may be different in different people. Current research suggests involvement of the nervous system, particularly the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). "

And I know withdrawal messes with your cns...so could this really just be withdrawal still? 11 months later? Grasping at straws.  

Mods have you seen a lot of fibro dx after withdrawal? 

Hi Shortcake. I would not take the Lyrica if I were you. It could start a whole cascade of extra symptoms from the side effects of the drug not to mention it is a drug you will eventually have to taper off as well. We have members here who are tapering this drug.

This is an extract by Alto from the Fibromyalgia thread

can we all agree that fibro is hard to diagnose and often misidentified?

There's even a lot of controversy about the significance of those trigger points.

Also, pharma has seen a big pot o' gold in blurring the definition and diagnosis of fibro to sell drugs like Lyrica, making every doctor this he or she can identify and treat it.

Incessant TV advertising makes people believe ordinary aches and pains are fibro and Lyrica is just the thing to ask the doctor for.

Pharma has seen the opportunity in hard-to-diagnose conditions with no physical markers and made billions from encouraging doctors to throw anyone with complaints (usually women) into one wastebasket diagnosis or another, like depression or fibromyalgia.

In terms of withdrawal syndrome-fibro overlap, my understanding is that one theory of fibro involves hyper-reactivity of pain neurons or an autonomic hypersensitivity syndrome. Since withdrawal syndrome often frequently incurs autonomic hypersensitivity, it can also incur sensations that some might call fibromyalgia-like.

This article from Beyond Meds:

https://beyondmeds.com/2013/07/08/psych-drug-withdrawal-cfs-fibromyalgia/

Edited by AliG

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with AliG ^.  Sometimes we get so desperate that we are willing to try anything.  Since joining SA I have become very cautious about pharmaceutical drugs.  My vet suggested a drug for my dog and whereas before I would have blindly gone along with it, I came home and researched it before deciding that I didn't want my dog on that particular drug.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Im not going to take it right now.  This is all super new to me.  The thing is the fibro symptoms seem to explain my entire life.  Even before withdrawal.  But I've also been on meds since I was 14. I just dont even know anymore.  I didnt listen to my doctor when she wanted me to go back on the effexor when I FIRST went through withdrawal (er doc stopped my meds at 8mg).  I thought I could tough it out and stayed off and went through hell.  I wish I had listened to her and went back on them in order to taper slowly and safely.  So now I want to listen to her.  

But I also know that my system is so senaitive right now.  I am FINALLY becoming stabalized.  10 months of withdrawal hell, off work, and finally starting to feel better (or maybe just in a good wave).  But also was just diagnosed with severe ibs (it keeps me from leaving the house), and now she saya she thinks fibro because I have all of the symptoms of it.  

As for the lyrica I'm not going to take it right now.  I'm so scared to mess up the bit of balance ive found.

1 hour ago, Shortcake said:

As for the lyrica I'm not going to take it right now.  I'm so scared to mess up the bit of balance ive found.

Ok .That's a GOOD THING !  It's best to remain stable and establish homeostasis.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Shortcake, please dont take Lyrica if you can help it. Lyrica damaged my brain so much that now  almost three years after stopping it I am still not healed. I am still having intrusive thoughts, intrusive pictures and an absolute hypersensitivity against all chemical products, can not drink alcohol anymore. On my thread you can read what I went through because of Lyrica. I had no mental problems before (was put on it for pain after caesarian delivery).

Hope you are well.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Thanks Martina. Hopefully between you and me we have convinced Shortcake not to take it. 

I do believe I had fibro prior to coming off the effexor/ going thru wd.  The main reason I wanted off effexor was what I thought were the side effects.  

-brain fog

-sensitivity to noise/bright lights/temperature

-always exhausted, never enough sleep

-aches and pains all over my body

-tender when people touch me

-restless legs

-memory issues

I was convinced it was effexor. So I weaned off. And these symtpoms intensified.  My doctor believes I had undiagnosed fibro for years and that the effexor was actually treating it as well as my ibs and anxiety.  

That being said.  After withdrawal hell... And finally starting to find balance, would I jump right back onto one and rock the boat? No chance.  If I knew what I know now, I would have stayed on low dose effexor maybe forever.  But now that I'm down to 2.25mg and went through what I did, I cant risk messing with my poor brain anymore.  I need to try do get my life back after wd.  I will try natural things.  Meds will only be a very last resort.  Eventually I will finish tapering fully from effexor but very slowly and not yet.  

Thank you guys for your help.  ❤  

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so had a major breakdown and my doctor put me on cymbalta.  I'm on 30mg for a week then go up to 60mg.  

I am still weaning off effexor xr.  I am at 2.25mg (11 beads).  My doctor said now that I'm on cymbalta I can just stop the effexor.  Is this true? Or should I still slowly wean off?  Can an admin help please?  

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear that.

What happened when you say you had a major breakdown? Why would you go to 60 mg Cymbalta (except that your doctor says so)? That's a very high dose and we often see high doses unnecessary and only increasing side effects. Did you try any non-drug coping skills when hit with symptoms you refer to as a major breakdown? It must have been something that scared you very much.

For me 2.25 mg Effexor is much less of an issue now compared with the possibility of 60 mg Cymbalta :( . But since you are so unstable, removing it might cause even more distabilisation although your doctor thinks that such a small dose is nothing. 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

This entire withdrawal thing has been too much for me.  I'm a single mom struggling to take care of a 3 year old.  Ive recently been diagnosed with ibs/diverticulosis/fibromyalgia.  For the past 10 months I havent lived.  If my anxiety is okay, then my ibs is acting up, if ibs is okay anxiety is acting up, or my fibro.  I'm exhausted all the time.  I have zero patience anymore.  Even during my Windows , I still cant live fully.  I cant go out by myself.  I'm bewildered all the time.  I am the only source of income and haven't worked since January when withdrawal hit.  I recently went back to work for a day and the stress leading up to and the exhaustion from just working 1 shift had me so sick the next day.  Ive gone from 125 lbs to 107 lbs.  I cant eat or sleep.  Im just done.  I give up.  I need to work to support my daughter and I can't work while I feel like this.  I honestly dont even care if I'm on drugs.  My life was better on them.  I have no quality of life now.  I dont have time to let my brain heal from withdrawal, I need to work, I need to care for my daughtee.  I should have never gone OFF effexor.  The only reason I did was because I thought I had side effects but since going off those side effects are worse and my doctor thinks ive had fibromyalgia and ibs for years and that effexor was treating that as well as the anxiety.  I'm just done.  Im done feeling "alright" but still not living fully and then hitting a wave of hell.   The stress my body is going through is doing more damage than the drugs did.  

So, should I still wean off the effexor slowly? 

As for why 60mg cymbalta I'm not sure.  I asked if 30mg would be enough and she said probably not, that even her 90 year olds are on 60mg.  And honestly I've followed my own rules since I went off effexor and went through hell.  She tried to put me back on effexor 2 weeks after withdrawal and I said no.  I should have listened to her before and I didnt and I paid for it, so I want to listen to her now. 

45 minutes ago, Shortcake said:

This entire withdrawal thing has been too much for me.  I'm a single mom struggling to take care of a 3 year old.  Ive recently been diagnosed with ibs/diverticulosis/fibromyalgia.  For the past 10 months I havent lived.  If my anxiety is okay, then my ibs is acting up, if ibs is okay anxiety is acting up, or my fibro.  I'm exhausted all the time.  I have zero patience anymore.  Even during my Windows , I still cant live fully.  I cant go out by myself.  I'm bewildered all the time.  I am the only source of income and haven't worked since January when withdrawal hit.  I recently went back to work for a day and the stress leading up to and the exhaustion from just working 1 shift had me so sick the next day.  Ive gone from 125 lbs to 107 lbs.  I cant eat or sleep.  Im just done.  I give up.  I need to work to support my daughter and I can't work while I feel like this.  I honestly dont even care if I'm on drugs.  My life was better on them.  I have no quality of life now.  I dont have time to let my brain heal from withdrawal, I need to work, I need to care for my daughtee.  I should have never gone OFF effexor.  The only reason I did was because I thought I had side effects but since going off those side effects are worse and my doctor thinks ive had fibromyalgia and ibs for years and that effexor was treating that as well as the anxiety.  I'm just done.  Im done feeling "alright" but still not living fully and then hitting a wave of hell.   The stress my body is going through is doing more damage than the drugs did.  

So, should I still wean off the effexor slowly? 

As for why 60mg cymbalta I'm not sure.  I asked if 30mg would be enough and she said probably not, that even her 90 year olds are on 60mg.  And honestly I've followed my own rules since I went off effexor and went through hell.  She tried to put me back on effexor 2 weeks after withdrawal and I said no.  I should have listened to her before and I didnt and I paid for it, so I want to listen to her now. 

Dr's tend to diagnose fibro and IBS a lot when they don't know the answers.

i wouldn't honestly be so quick to believe that those are what you have. 

Paxil and other antidepressants tend to cause inflammation. 

I ended up very inflamed after 14-15 years on Paxil. The pain and agony I went through after getting off Paxil was devastating. I thought maybe I had fibro as well. My inflammation markers were off the charts, I could hardly move I ached so badly and my legs felt like tree trunks.

after about two years from my cold turkey I no longer ache! I am not so full of pain and agony like I was. I had horrible gut issues before Paxil and they did get better on it but they flared up really badly after I went off. I'm doing much better in that regard too.

i just wouldn't be so quick to believe everything the dr says, they are good at pushing pills. 

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

I honestly dont have any time left to just wait to feel better.  Unless someone wants to pay my rent and bills and take care of my daughter for me then I dont feel I have a choice.  Sure i can stay off the drugs and live on the street, with a 3 year old, in the middle of a Canadian winter, but I'm not up for that.   I've had fibro symptoms for years now, thinking it was effexor side effects and my doctor said those are actually fibro symptoms.  Fibro also runs in my family.  Ive had multiple tests checking for inflammation and inflammation is basically non existant in my body.  If these drugs can let me live my life again then I'm all for it.  I will probably be on them for the rest of my life.  Ive been on them for 20 years since I was 14.  Regardless, I've made my decision for now.  I was having suicidal thoughts, and that cannot happen.  I have a life to live and a little girl to take care of.  Sure they are over prescribed and most people dont need them, but some people actually do.  Mental illness runs in my family.  

Anyway, my family, psychologist and doctor and myself have made the decision that this is what a best for me at this point in time.  I may come off them eventually but right now I need something to help me deal.  I just need to know about weaning the effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I listened to my doctor for 15 years and that was the reason my life was turned to hell.

You didn't listen to your doctor when you went off Effexor and you did things your own way but sadly that decision was not well informed either. The reason for digestive system problems is the fact that our gut is called our second brain due to the number of serotonin receptors it has. 

You seem to have made your decision. Of course we can fully understand the wish to be fully functional. We all want that. It is just that for some of us drugs don't do the trick any more and only make us worse. I've been following many stories and there are some examples were going to the full dose of another drug helps but there are also cases where it makes things worse. I really hope you are the former category. Also, I see every day examples when people wanted to feel better but only ended up feeling worse.

I would personally wait and see how I feel on a few weeks of 30 mg Cymbalta. If you don't feel better or worse you can always double the dose (ouch).

Then you can see what to do with Effexor. If you start fiddling with Effexor now you won't be able to tell what is causing what if there are some problems. (whether it is te introduction of the new drug, too high dose, reduction and stopping of Effexor - and then you won't know what to do to make things better). 

I'm only saying this because you asked. You will of course make your own decision. 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thank you bubble.  

We did discuss that it could make things worse, and in that case she would take me off immediately and I could try something else or nothing.  It was like the devil you know or the devil you dont know, but I have to try it.  I cant keep going the way I was.  Not with the responsibilities I have.  I pray it doesn't make me worse but its a chance I need to take.  I'm on day 3 and already seeing a slight improvement.  Fingers crossed.  I will leave my effexor for now and continue to wean off once I am stable.  I also want to stay at 30mg cymbalta until I see if it works.  Apparently 60mg is the therapeutic dose on which all studies were based, so I really havent made up my mind.    

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Shortcake said:

Apparently 60mg is the therapeutic dose on which all studies were based

This is a term that pharmaceutical companies have invented.  It is better to think in terms of "lowest effective dose".

On 04/05/2016 at 9:32 AM, Altostrata said:

"Therapeutic dose" means absolutely nothing. It's an arbitrary number from the drug companies.

• 6 months later...

Shortcake, 

I just read your entire thread and wondering how you’re doing now. 

Good, I hope!

Sheri

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

Hello!  

I am actually doing really well!  I'm on 60 mg Cymbalta and feel like my old self again.  After 16 months off work I am finally back.  I've fallen in love , I have no more waves...  

Going through withdrawal was the worst thing I have ever experienced.  If I could have seen what going off the effexor was going to do, I would have never gone off it.  I basically lost a year and a half of my life during a critical part of my daughter's young life.  I'm okay with being on meds if it means I am happy and can live my life.  

We are here for a good time, not a long time.  

• 5 years later...

Title: Switching from Cymbalta to Pristiq

Hey everyone.  

It's been a while.  In 2017 I came off Effexor XR over 4 years and still had insane withdrawal.  I became non functional.  Falling down to 100 lbs. I couldn't est or sleep or function.  I was a single mom to a 3 year old.  I had to leave my amazing job at the hospital.  6 years later I am still not the same.  The only way to stop it was to go on something.  My doctor chose cymbalta.  

I have now been diagnosed bipolar2 with mixed states, bpd, asd level 1 ontop of generalized anxiety and depression.  

After trying for 6 years to get into see a psychiatrist at the local psych hospital (I saw Dr. David Bakish), I finally got in and got these new diagnosis.  He wants me to go to Pristiq and Topamax.  

First thing my GP has me doing is moving from cymbalta to pristiq.  

So they had me do 1 week of 25 pris/30cym. Then next week 50 pris and 0 cym 😵‍💫 By day 3 with 0 cym I was a wreck.  

I called my pharmacist bawling my eyes out snd she told me to do every 2nd day 30 cym for 3 doses, then every 3rd day for 2 doses (that's long with the 50 pris). 

Well yesterday I took the dose of 30 cym and woke up with the most horrific panic attack. I normally get panic attacks but this was whole body tensed next level. It's like my body is in withdrawal, but then getting that big dose all of a sudden is too much for my body.  

How do I slowly taper off cym while already being on the new one (pris 50)? I thought because I was switching to an snri in the same category there wasn't supposed to be withdrawal?  I'm supposed to do another 3 doses of cymbalta 30mg 3 days apart but it terrifies me.  Maybe I can bead count and do 10mg or 15mg each time instead?  So it's not so hard on my system?

Edited by Shep
added title after moving from another intro thread

• Moderator Emeritus

@Shortcake Please note I moved your latest post from a new intro thread to here in your already-existing intro/update thread.

Only one intro/update thread per member. This keeps all of your information in one place.

On 6/4/2023 at 7:10 PM, Shortcake said:

How do I slowly taper off cym while already being on the new one (pris 50)? I thought because I was switching to an snri in the same category there wasn't supposed to be withdrawal?  I'm supposed to do another 3 doses of cymbalta 30mg 3 days apart but it terrifies me.  Maybe I can bead count and do 10mg or 15mg each time instead?  So it's not so hard on my system?

Are you here to taper off these drugs and live drug free or are you simply going from one antidepressant to another antidepressant with plans to keep taking it?

On 6/4/2023 at 7:10 PM, Shortcake said:

I have now been diagnosed bipolar2 with mixed states, bpd, asd level 1 ontop of generalized anxiety and depression.  

Just about everybody who stays on antidepressants long term ends up with these types of labels. You may want to read Robert Whitaker's Anatomy of an Epidemicwhich explains how the rise in labels such as "bipolar" are directly connected to these drugs. 

I hear Cymbalta is really hard to get off of. I was only on it a few weeks before I knew it was not for me. My Psychiatrist had me do the same. 25 mg Pristiq 30 Cymbalta. Then no Cymbalta and 25 Pristiq. Been about 6 weeks total but I'm up to 50 mg the last 3 weeks(ish). I was on Effexor for many year till it stopped working. I still have side effects. Just not sure if its from stopping Effexor, stopping Cymbalta, starting Pristiq, or all of it. I hope you start feeling better soon.