If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Shortcake: Effexor withdrawal. When will it end?

venlafaxine Effexor

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#145 Shortcake

Shortcake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationOntario, canada

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Chessie! I wish I had knwon all this a month ago.... i seriously thought I was losing it/had a haunted house. I'm still nervous down there but I'm sure with time that will pass.
Started weaning from Effexor XR (put on these in 1999)in September 2013 150 mg by removing a few little balls a week and ended at 8 mg January 2017. ER doctor stopped them January 3rd, 2017 due to what she thought was seratonin syndrome. I now know it was withdrawal.

Reinstated 2.25mg Effexor Xr February 4, 2017

Previous meds Zoloft 1997-1999 stopped abruptly July 1999. A few months later I was diagnosed as bipolar and put on Effexor XR, Epival, and Trazadone. A few years after that I was told the bipolar was a misdiagnoses and they stopped the Epival. At some point I stopped the trazadone myself.

Supplements: B complex, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin c, vitamin d, multi vitamin, magnesium, high dose probiotic.Ativan when needed

#146 Shortcake

Shortcake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:56 PM

So my house is gone. Big fire at adjacent unit.... water damage and smoke to my unit... fire possibly hit it... but basically its gone. At my parents with my daughter and my cat. We are all safe. I cant sleep.
Started weaning from Effexor XR (put on these in 1999)in September 2013 150 mg by removing a few little balls a week and ended at 8 mg January 2017. ER doctor stopped them January 3rd, 2017 due to what she thought was seratonin syndrome. I now know it was withdrawal.

Previous meds Zoloft 1997-1999 stopped abruptly July 1999. A few months later I was diagnosed as bipolar and put on Effexor XR, Epival, and Trazadone. A few years after that I was told the bipolar was a misdiagnoses and they stopped the Epival. At some point I stopped the trazadone myself.

Supplements: B complex, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin c, vitamin d, multi vitamin, magnesium, high dose probiotic.Ativan when needed

#147 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,822 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

Oh dear.  What a horrible thing to happen.  Glad you are all okay though.  I can understand not being able to sleep.  When we had bushfires here a friend of mine's daughter was really affected by it.  It might be worth seeing a (non drug prescribing  ;) ) counsellor.

Take care.

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 28mg (from 3 March 17)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

I've still got a way to go ... but I've already come a long way!!!

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#148 Shortcake

Shortcake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:05 PM

I emailed my psychologist but hes on holiday for 2 weeks :( i was doing so well with the withdrawal... accepting my panic was making it happen less. And now this.

Also... im taking 11 beads of effexor xr a day. The pharmacist today told me i could take the beads in applesauce? I dont need to take it in capsules? My empty capsules again... in the fire... so.... its okay to take effexor xr in applesauce? I thought my stomach acid would destroy it.

#149 Shortcake

Shortcake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:05 PM

My pharmacist also told me to try taking them once every second day if i was weaning... which makes me totally not trust him now lol.

Edit to say: not weaning right now. Staying stable. Trying to.

#150 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:08 PM

Yep, from drug.com

Swallow Effexor XR extended-release capsules whole. Do not break, crush, chew, or place in water before swallowing. If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open it and sprinkle the contents over a spoonful of applesauce. Mix the medicine with the applesauce and swallow the mixture right away, followed by a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine before swallowing.

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 28mg (from 3 March 17)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

#151 Shortcake

Shortcake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Okay perfect. Now i need applesauce. I just bought some. But. Fire.

#152 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

You'll be doing that for a while yet, unfortunately.  If you have an apple you could grate it finely for the time being.  Or stew it.

Tapering history & graph

#153 Shortcake

Shortcake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:24 PM

Thank you Chessie.

#154 Shortcake

Shortcake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

I really felt like I was getting better. And then the fire happened. And now Im having another wave of symptoms. Well 1 symptom. All the others are gone except random waves of feeling "butterflies" all over my body and then I feel the derealization. Like I can't function the way I used to.

I had been reading books to help with it. Noting irrational thoughts. But all that stuff is in the old apartment. Where I cant get any of my stuff because of the fire. I ordered Claire Weekes book... it was attempted delivery 2 days after the fire so it went back to the depot. Because I dont have photo ID they wont let me pick up my mail.

#155 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

It's to be expected after such a traumatic event that you would be hit with a wave.  Even a person not going through withdrawal would have problems after this.  Also realise that you are going through a time of grieving.  It's important to understand this and allow yourself to feel the feelings and not bottle them up, because they have a habit of getting back to you later, and if they return later, you don't always attribute it to the cause of it, and you can get in a state trying to work out what is causing it.  I think accepting that it's normal is a start.  It may take a while but as time goes on it will lessen.  The main thing at the moment is to try not to stress yourself further and to do what you need to do to keep yourself as settled as possible.  Here a couple of things which might help:

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Yoga for calming (very simple poses can help greatly) (some members have found the "legs up the wall" helpful for anxiety)

USE A TIMER:  A year ago my 14 year old dog died and my daughter was concerned about how I would cope.  She suggested that I "check in with myself" during the day to see how I was.  Because I knew that I would probably forget and sometimes things creep up slowly and then all of a sudden I am in a bad state, I set a timer for an hour during the morning (and it became easier to do it without the timer in the afternoon) just so I could be reminded and I would stop and think, okay, how am I feeling, what thoughts am I having.  This meant that I could nip it in the bud and do some controlled deep breathing before it became too much of a problem and harder to deal with.

Tapering history & graph

#156 Shortcake

Shortcake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

Thank you for this Chessie. The first few days I had to take ativan in order to stay calm and deal with all the meetings and stuff that go on after a fire. Signing paperwork, meeting with tons of insurance people etc. Everyone commented on how well I was dealing with it, but I was on ativan. I havent taken it in 3 days and the anxiety has hit hard. Definitely a wave of symptoms, physical now too. And I was fighting it. Telling myself no, I need to be strong, I cant feel this right now. But I am.. and fighting it makes it worse. Reading your comments were a bit like a breath of fresh air, like the permission I felt I needed to be anxious and not feeling well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: venlafaxine, Effexor