If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

In person support groups

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bachicara

Bachicara

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWest Valley City, Utah

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:44 PM

I have a question for everybody. I've been searching the web and haven't come across much in the way of in-person support groups. Does anybody have an in-person support group for psychiatric drug withdrawal in their community? I'm from Salt Lake City, Utah, and Utah LEADS the nation in antidepressant prescriptions per capita, so you'd think if there was one, it would be in Salt Lake. But I haven't been able to find anything. 

I'm a pharmacist, and I was so uneducated about psych drug withdrawal until I had problems myself. I knew that polypharmacy with psychiatric meds was a huge problem, but did not have a clue the scope of what happens to people when they withdraw. I wish there was something I could do professionally, but since I'm not working now (staying home raising 2 kids and recovering from psych meds) I thought maybe I could look into organizing some sort of local support group. 

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with local support groups specifically for psych med withdrawal. Or, if there was anybody from Salt Lake who might be interested in forming a group. 

#2 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,832 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

I suggest you check out and post in this topic:  check-in-topics-survivingantidepressantorg-members-near-you

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 28mg (from 3 March 17)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

I've still got a way to go ... but I've already come a long way!!!

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.