Madeleine

Anyone have low-symptom taper?

22 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone who is tapering and is close to the finish line can share if they have had a low-symptom taper.  

In May I will have been tapering for 2 years.  I am still a long way from the end, but thought I'd reply because since I began tapering by the brassmonkey-slide method I've been having extremely minimal symptoms.  Usually I'm in one long window, and when I do get a wave of a day or two, the symptoms are minimal.  I often feel a bit guilty here on SA due to my lack of suffering ;)

I totally recommend finding that tapering 'sweet spot' instead of pushing through. 

Thanks so much for sharing Karen. It's reassuring to hear.

In May I will have been tapering for 2 years.  I am still a long way from the end, but thought I'd reply because since I began tapering by the brassmonkey-slide method I've been having extremely minimal symptoms.  Usually I'm in one long window, and when I do get a wave of a day or two, the symptoms are minimal.  I often feel a bit guilty here on SA due to my lack of suffering ;)

I totally recommend finding that tapering 'sweet spot' instead of pushing through. 

KarenB, what is the brassmonkey-slide method?

The Brassmonkey Slide Method is a modification of the 10% every 6 weeks taper that is recommended here. Basically it is dropping by 2.5% a week for four weeks and then a hold for an additional 2 weeks. This gives a total of 10% every 6 weeks.  The idea behind it is to spread the symptoms out over several weeks instead of having then hit all at once.  I have had great success with it over the five and a half years I've been tapering.  I started at 40mg of paxil and m currently at 0.16mg.  I will be ending my taper soon.  I have to say that compared to others I have had a much easier time of it.  I know several people who CTed 40mg of paxil at the same time I started to taper and they are still having a rough time of it.  As you can read in my intro thread I'm reentering life in a big way and have the slow taper to thank for it.

Yes on the low symptoms. Mine are exacerbated by alcohol and caffeine (duh, right?) . exercise helps. Taking a good multi and some omega 3 as well.

For the most part my tapering has been relatively low symptom except for an episode last March that required me to updose. With finally hitting the 1mg mark I'm hoping the rest of my taper is kind to me like it has been for Brass.

Nice to hear about low symptom taper. Im at about 16mgs of paxil. I dropped from 17 to 15mgs and i got bad insomnia and night twitching. So i went back upto 16mg.

I've been on paxil for 11 yrs. Could this be the reason i got bad insomnia? Thank you.

It seems there are so many stories of people tapering off then being hit by withdrawals. I can understand why that would happen with a too-fast taper? Are there any members here who tapered slowly, got off the drugs and then felt okay 2 3 4 months down the line? If so, please share your experiences.

Nice to hear about low symptom taper. Im at about 16mgs of paxil. I dropped from 17 to 15mgs and i got bad insomnia and night twitching. So i went back upto 16mg.

I've been on paxil for 11 yrs. Could this be the reason i got bad insomnia? Thank you.

Yes I'd say so. Though Paxil is notoriously awful to taper, and symptoms can occur at any point of the taper. How slowly are you going?

So far my taper has been low-symptom. Some increased irritability, and some early morning cortisol spikes, but really manageable. I'm in the early stages though.

Other than a few hiccups when I first started tapering after joining SA, my taper has been low symptom.  I have been tapering a little less than 10% of my previous dose, did a long hold when I got to 50mg (being a tablet) and I'm planning on doing a medium hold as I get down to 20mg because I have plenty of 20mg capsules.

I went from 100mg Pristiq to 50mg for 3 weeks then found SA end of October 2016 and updosed to 75mg and I am now down to 25mg.

The daily micro-taper is working wonders for me. Instead of cutting 5% overnight every 4 weeks, I do it gradually so that at the end of the 4-week period, the micro-cuts add up to 5% but I also stay highly flexible, holding if symptoms ramp up.

While I am not totally symptom-free, I swear by this method!

Im going to go really slow. About 5% per month. Also seeing a therapist to help with the original issues and as symptoms arise. How far along are you?

after a few too fast tapers and CTs and a, thankfully, successful reinstatement, I am doing a slow taper now and the slower and steadier I go, the fewer symptoms I have.

I am at 0.2mgs of lexapro and will continue my taper based on symptoms.  as of right now I expect the taper to take up to 2 more years- Yes, even at this tiny dose.
My thinking is that, IF I had done the "10% every 28 day" taper in the first place, I would be finishing up roughly in 2 yrs anyway, so why not give my brain a break.

I have been on SSRIs for about 20 yrs or so and have a long history of other pysch meds; I'm now 61, so healing is typically slower overall as one ages, so- why not be kind to myself, right?

brassmonkey - I should perhaps have done more reading and I would have come across this earlier. I have been doing the 10% taper method and suffer dreadfully every time I drop, I figured it was just something I had to rough out. I might change to your method once I have stabilised on this last drop. At such low doses I assume you are on liquid? I make my own but I only have a 5mg syringe atm which makes dropping by tiny % quite difficult and not an exact science

Brass is in China where he has difficulty accessing SA, but he used a Gemini 20 scale for his Paxil taper, not liquid, and got down to a very, very low dose before jumping off to zero recently.

I'd love to know too!

why no one answer?its good question
maby ask it in other forum here

* merged similar topics

Hi artSet-- Gridley has it correct.  I used a scale and measured out powder for all of my doses.  It started to be a problem when I got below 0.8mg so I had to switch from four slides to three, then to two and finally to one.  But the amounts were so small it didn't cause any trouble.  There are a varsity of syringe sizes available, talk to your pharmacist and they can set you up with a smaller one so you can be more accurate. Be sure to add in a two week hold every four drops so your body has a a chance to sort things out and stabilize.  It may not feel like it is needed at the time, but it really is.  Keep us informed on your progress.

Brass

4.5 months in, down to 12mg from 40mg Citalopram, still low/no symptom.

I've been tapering for 14 months now and have had few symptoms. Most of those that did occur there were clear causes -- overexertion, alcohol consumption.