SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Altostrata

• Administrator

Thank you, Clio. How long have you been off Lexapro?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! I decided to do the liquid since it sounded like it was much easier from you all and started on Monday. I just dropped 1 mg and have been feeling fine. I haven't noticed anything. How long will it take to notice the drop if I am going to? How long should I stay here before dropping another 1 mg? 4 weeks seems like such a long time. BTW - The liquid tastes horrible! Any suggestions on taking it?

Just started taking liquid escitalopram. I chase it with water and then salted rice cakes. That soaks up the taste pretty well. I think saltine crackers would work, too. 

Current: 300 mg Wellbutrin XL (was 450 mg 2005 to 12/18/2021); 5.22 mg Escitalopram

Escitalopram taper: 20 mg (2002? to 4/2016). Spring to Fall 2016: smooth taper to 8 mg. Winter 2016-l7: 7.8 mg Spring 2017: 6 mg. Fall 2017: 5.6 mg. Spring 2018: 5.2 mg. Fall 2018-Winter 2019: 5 mg, too big of a drop. 2/2019: 5.3 mg. 6/2020: 5.28 mg. 7/11/21: 5.26 mg. 11/21/21: 5.24 mg. 3/29/22: 5.22 mg. 4/10/22: 5.24 mg. 4/11/22: 5.23 mg. 5/8/22: 5.24 mg; April 7, 2023: 5.22 mg; 8/3/23: 5.24 mg

• 2 weeks later...

In the uk I only think it comes in 20mg/ml ...

Can i taper this with the benzos at the same time....also is the dropper accurate ....and how long will it take me to taper it ..

morning on waking  0.5 lorazepam

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Been Dry Cutting never stable ...constant depression and terror and fear. Nerve pain in the teeth causing gum recession and clenching all the time.

Not totally accurate as the 6am and 12pm arent always taken on time as sometimes i don't wake up on time also the 1mg tablet has no score on it so the first two doses can inaccurate.

• Administrator

Tapering more than one drug at a time complicates the process a great deal. We recommend tapering only one drug at a time (usually the antidepressant first).

Please consult your pharmacist about the accuracy of your dropper. We recommend an oral syringe for greatest accuracy.

Please read further in the Tapering forum -- see Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ and the topics pinned at the top of the forum. Your questions have most likely been answered.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Tapering more than one drug at a time complicates the process a great deal. We recommend tapering only one drug at a time (usually the antidepressant first).

Please consult your pharmacist about the accuracy of your dropper. We recommend an oral syringe for greatest accuracy.

Please read further in the Tapering forum -- see Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ and the topics pinned at the top of the forum. Your questions have most likely been answered.

pharamcist is clueless... and oral syringe will not do it i would need a pippette....20mg to ml...means would have to take .01 ml

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Been Dry Cutting never stable ...constant depression and terror and fear. Nerve pain in the teeth causing gum recession and clenching all the time.

Not totally accurate as the 6am and 12pm arent always taken on time as sometimes i don't wake up on time also the 1mg tablet has no score on it so the first two doses can inaccurate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hi Pete

I am tapering off Lexapro using the 20mg in 1ml solution. I use an insulin syringe as it contains 100 units per mil. For example 1mg of Lexapro equals 5 units on the syringe. It is difficult due to the unit markings being so tiny, I then draw up a bit of water into the syringe and then squrt it into a glass and add some juice or water before drinking it.

See if you can get an insulin syringe from the chemist.

Good luck

Jane

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

Jane,

I will bend your ear about this on 14th May at our first southwest UK SA meeting, as I need to get to grips with how to prep the liquid dosage.

JC x

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi Pete

I am tapering off Lexapro using the 20mg in 1ml solution. I use an insulin syringe as it contains 100 units per mil. For example 1mg of Lexapro equals 5 units on the syringe. It is difficult due to the unit markings being so tiny, I then draw up a bit of water into the syringe and then squrt it into a glass and add some juice or water before drinking it.

See if you can get an insulin syringe from the chemist.

Good luck

Jane

I take it the dro[pper it comes with is not accurate.

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Hey everyone
Doing good on my Lexapro taper using the liquid 20 mg and a 1 ml syringe.
However, I am now so low in dosage that each 10% cut needs to be less than the .01 ml intervals the syringe has.
Any tips on how to solve this? Switch to pipette, electronic scale, might I be able to get hold of a finer syringe?
I live in Denmark. 

1998-2001 Cipramil (Citalopram) 20-60 mg
2001-3 drug free
2003-5 Cipramil 40 mg
2005-7 Cipralex (escatilopram/Lexapro) 20 mg
2007 unsuccesful 3-month taper, mild depression resulted in meds restart
2007-9 20 mg Cipralex
2009 3-month taper, same result
2009-10 20 mg Cipralex
2010-12 slow taper, stable on 10 mg for half a year. Tapered completely over 3 months or so the summer of 2012. Slow onset of depressive/withdrawal symptoms over 1-2 months to severe depression, anxiety in September-October.
Back on 10 mg since oct 10th or so, withdrawal symptoms abated but still present.

2016: at 1,6 mg and slowly tapering off. Feeling GOOD!

• Administrator

See Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

One option is to dilute your suspension more (usually with water) so you can draw measurable amounts into your syringe.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the answer! :) 
Since I last wrote I have been questing all over Ye Olde Internet and found out that:
such a thing as microlitre syringes actually does exist - and I've ordered one (100 microlitre with 0.2 microlitre intervals) at a very reasonable price (around five dollars) from Germany.
I've also found a microlitre pipette and will test that out. 

A microlitre is 0,001 ml. 

If that doesn't work, the next step is ordering an electronic pipette. Price is steeper, but still somewhat affordable (120 dollars). 
Also, I'm contacting Lundbeck to ask if water is indeed usable for diluting liquid Lexapro (it says alcohol for the liquid on the bottle). They were very helpful with a question about exposure to sunlight last year!

Will of course share my experience/info in here. Wondering if this is the right thread to do so? Or if another is preferable?

1998-2001 Cipramil (Citalopram) 20-60 mg
2001-3 drug free
2003-5 Cipramil 40 mg
2005-7 Cipralex (escatilopram/Lexapro) 20 mg
2007 unsuccesful 3-month taper, mild depression resulted in meds restart
2007-9 20 mg Cipralex
2009 3-month taper, same result
2009-10 20 mg Cipralex
2010-12 slow taper, stable on 10 mg for half a year. Tapered completely over 3 months or so the summer of 2012. Slow onset of depressive/withdrawal symptoms over 1-2 months to severe depression, anxiety in September-October.
Back on 10 mg since oct 10th or so, withdrawal symptoms abated but still present.

2016: at 1,6 mg and slowly tapering off. Feeling GOOD!

• 1 month later...

Hi, for the people tapering liquid Lexapro with oral syringes, do you use the bottle with the special cap and draw upside-down, or do you pour some liquid into a container and draw it up that way? Thanks!

6/2015: 10 mg Lexapro generic + 100 mg Seroquel following episode of severe insomnia.

12/15 - 2/16: self-tapered Lexapro (no Dr. supervision) too rapidly: 3 weeks at 7.5 mg, 3 weeks at 5 mg, 3 weeks at 2.5 mg then off. NO W/D SYMPTOMS.

3/16 (about two weeks after final dose): bad insomnia again. Tried to hold out. Failed.

5/1/16: Saw psych. He said relapse and put me back on 5 mg Lex + 50 mg Seroquel to be reduced as Lexapro takes effect. I now believe it was only W/D. Dr. wanted me to updose, but after finding this site I decided to stabilize at 5 mg and start tapering at a later date.

Supplements: Magnesium citrate, fish oil, probiotics (from food not from pills)

Month of 7/16: Tapered off Seroquel: 1 week 20 mg, 1 week 15 mg, 1 week 10 mg, 1 week 5 mg. No problems sleeping throughout this process. Stopped Seroquel several days ago (7/21?) and sleep has been mostly good, some bad.

Reinstated 5 mg Seroquel 7/25 and stabilized my sleep.

9/1/16: Started tapering generic escitalopram liquid: 4.5 mg  :D

6/1/17: No longer taking seroquel for sleep. Escitalopram liquid down to .9 mg  :D

6/10/17: .8 mg

• Administrator

Lexapro liquid is just like any other referred to in Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

For any amount under 1mg, I dilute my 1mg drop in 100ml water. So if I need, for example 3.35mg, I take 3 drops straight from the bottle, and for the remaining .35mg, drink 35ml of the 100 ml solution. I think this adds up...

Lise, I have never considered that lexapro can't be diluted with water. I don't see why not, but I think I'll ask a pharmacist friend now that you've raised it.

<p>Several periods of depression starting in teens. 2010- 2014 escitalopram 20mgs. tapered to 5mgApril 2011- December 2011 seroquel2012-2014 don't know exact dates! 2014/15 Lamactil 200mg. 2015 lamactil 150mg. (Several attempts at coming off escitalopram and lamactil). March 2015 tapered to 37.5mg lamactil- Reinstated. July- Aug 2015 tapered off 5mg escitalopram. Dose reinstated Nov 2015.

7/1/16 Lamactil 137.5mg. Escitalopram 5mg; 24/3/16 lamactil 125mg; 20/4/16 escitalopram 4.5mg. 6/5 escit 4mg. 5/6/16 escit 3.6mg; 16/7/16 escit 3.5mg. 27/7/16 lamactil 112.5mg 18/8/16 escit 3.2mg 10/9/16 escit 3mg 16/9/16 lamactil 100mg 11/10/16 lamactil 112.5mg 28/10/16 escit 2.9mg 4/11/16 escit 2.8mg 10/11/16 lamactil 125mg 11/11/16 escit 2.7mg. 25/11/16 escit 2.4mg 10/12/16 escit 2mg 1/1/17 escit 1.7mg 17/1/17 escit 1.5mg 4/2/17 escit 1.4 19/2/17 escit 1.3mg 13/3/17 escit 1.2mg 22/3/17 escit 1mg. 4/5/17 escit 1.15mg 5/5/17 turmeric 800mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Ali, from the first post in this thread:

Do-it-yourself liquid
People report that they can make their own liquid from Lexapro tablets and water.

It is soluble in water, see http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01175 -- stability (shelf-life of dilution) is unknown.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...

Thank you for info I wish I would have found this before my dr had me start tapering by cutting 20 to 10.

PTSD GAD been on Lexapro 20mg for two years Xanax as needed 2 years and Singular for sinus issues for a year

• 3 weeks later...

I found this today.

Regarding prescribing tips, escitalopram equivalent dose is half that of citalopram

line 14 from

http://psychopharmacologyinstitute.com/antidepressants/ssris/citalopram-escitalopram-differences-similarities/

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Tapering absolutely did NOTHING for me personally. Been on this poison for 8 years. Just stopped COLD TURKEY 12 days ago and I'm alive! Symptoms of WD suck but better than when I tapered. Just my experience, not advice.

• Administrator

Hi, PrinceChuck. I see your prior attempt at tapering involved a 50% decrease in dosage. That's a lot faster than we recommend.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I just created a profile here and will be writing an introduction soon. I have read this whole thread with great interest. I am trying to taper off Lexapro after 13 years on various SSRIs and have tapered with some success very slowly for almost two years from 45mg (very high dose) down to 1mg. I

now am having horrible symptoms of WD when I try to go off the one mg. I would be so helped by a smaller dose so I can drop by less than 1mg per drop. Preferably 0.1. mg.

I live in Europe and was hoping anyone knows of a compounding pharmacy in the UK or Germany, or anywhere else. I have tried the links on the page here and have not been lucky (yet).

Sorry if I am not compliant with the group's purpose and format yet, but will work on learning it all.

THANK you.

added: Karenrose Introduction topic

Edited by scallywag
add link to Karen's intro topic

Began Paxil in 2003 plus Trazodone to sleep. Tapered off as per doctor's suggestion in less than two months i.e. CT. Got zapped and depressed/anxious worse than before.

Got on Cymbalta in 2005. Cross tapered to 20mg lexapro from 2005, Tapered off fast/CT and took amino acids, total crash.

Started Lexapro in 2008 and got to 45 mg before full "effect"

Erfa thyroid and organic paleo food, lots of healthy fat, no gluten/dairy. Depression lifted.

Tapered off Lexapro from 45 mg since March 2015. Came off Lexapro fully  in summer of 2016. Reinstated at 1mg.

CBD oil plus small dosis THC.

Switched to Celexa 2mg and tapered slowly to 0,05 over a year with a liquid formulation. Jumped off and crashed horribly again! 

Am now at 0,00125. Will taper slowly down to an almost non-existing dosage and then either jump off or keep going lower and lower and lower until...

As of July 29th 2019 I am med free and just fine. I jumped off at 1/1000 mg. 

As of July 7th 2020 I am feeling great and just here for a check in. 

Current dose: 0,000.

• 1 month later...

With regard to Escitalopram suspensions, I am in Australia and tried to start a taper using the suspension back in May '16. 

When I rolled along to the pharmacy with my prescription, I was told that the suspension wasn't available any more. 

I ended up tapering (much faster than recommended) by taking a half tablet, then making a suspension. After my first two or three suspensions, I ran out of tablets and rolled along for a refill. Of course, I was silly and didn't pay attention to which pharmacy I was at and got a different generic brand of tablet. However, it does put me in a position to confirm that different brands must contain different "fillers" as the second set of tablets did not dissolve as well as the first. 

Fortunately, when I reached the smaller dosages, I found a compounding pharmacy and managed to get the prescription for the suspension filled.

I'd go further into my taper and withdrawals, but I sense that this is not the place for it :)

Started 10mg Escitalopram March 2013
Stopped Escitalopram cold turkey December 2013 (Unsuccessfully)
Restarted 10mg Escitalopram February 2014
Started tapering May 2016 - 5mg
Estimated drops - 4mg, 3mg, 2.5mgOctober 2016 - 1.25mg
Stopped 19 Dec 2016
Withdrawals from 27 December - Anxiety, Insomnia, Nausea, Diarrhea, Headache (1 day), inc heart rate
7 Jan 2017 reinstated 1mg/day escitalopram

4 Feb 2017 - inc to 1.25mg Escitalopram after some feelings of depression returning

Currently experiencing generalised anxiety in waves

• 5 weeks later...

What are people's experiences of doing this?

I was anticipating not too many repercussions given how chemically similar they are.

My plan would be to switch from 2.5 mg Escitalopram to 5mg Citalopram.

Is it wise to do it this way, or should I do it differently?

Thanks guys,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Once my CNS had settled, then I would do my taper as before using Brass's slide technique.

Major Life Events: 

Would appreciate one of the Mod's wisdom as to how I could best X-taper safely from escitalopram to Citalopram.

I have the spreadsheets with which to do my dose reduction calcs.

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Why do you want to switch?  I'm not a mod but I don't follow your rationale.  Why not just do the taper with escitalopram?  What do you think the benefit of the cross taper will be?  Maybe I missed something?

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi MMT,

Thanks for your message.

Citalopram has half the strength than that of Escitalopram by 2:1.

My rationale for switching has been the issues I've been having with trying to get to the lower doses on escitalopram.  The liquid Lexapro concentration was too high for me to be able to taper properly (1ml / 20 mg).  I have major doubts that by diluting the solid form of Lexapro, I still wont get the accuracy I need.

By switching to Citalopram (which is chemically similar), I should be able to get from the equivalent of 2.5mg to 0mg more easily.

JC x

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm.......possibly.  Back in the day, when I believed my AD was actually helping........I was switched to Celexa/citalopram.........due to it's being cheaper and insurance protocols/coverage.  It had a different effect completely on me.  So with my Dr.'s agreement to do the necessary paperwork to submit to insurance I got switched back to Lexapro/escitalopram.  This was also before it went generic as well.

Anyway........in my experience they were not the same.......in effect........on what I now know was my own fragile and medication changed neuro system.  Sure, they might be somewhat chemically similar but my guess is that you might put your nervous system through some additional stress.

I still have the 1ml.(cc) syringe that came with my liquid Lexapro/escitalopram and it's marked pretty good as far as doing reductions goes.........just thinking you could work on getting some decent syringes.  I also have one that came from the vet which is clearly marked in the 1.00 ml., then .9 ml and on down with gradients in between.  Either that or do your own added further liquid to what you can obtain from the pharmacy as far as the liquid Lexapro/escitalopram?  Or.........dissolve the tablets yourself in more liquid?  Why are you having major doubts about that?

I don't know but from my experience with the 2 drugs............I think it's possible you might get into trouble switching the excitalopram to citalopram.  Why risk it?

Just my 2 cents in the matter and from my experience.  Good luck in whatever you decide.

Best,

mmt

Oh......I think that the fact that you are maintaining on just 2.5mg. of escitalopram is great!  When I got to 3mg. of escitalopram all Hello broke loose and I checked into the hospital(it's in my signature).  I just couldn't function at all and my brain had gone haywire.  Just saying that as maybe it's not going to be so bad for you.  signed: Lexapro/escitalopram foe!!!!

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hmmmm :unsure: 

ok mmt, I have to do some serious mulling........thank you very much for your input on this.

As it is, I'm sure the pills I have cut in half are never exactly the right dose anyway and are likely out by 1mg.

Its daunting contemplating continuation with the taper down to the lowest doses that's all and I'm trying to mitigate further WD symptom risk.....I now have a pack of Citalopram and a bottle of Lexapro in my medicine cabinet.

Best,

JC

Major Life Events: 

• Mentor

Hi MMT,

Thanks for your message.

Citalopram has half the strength than that of Escitalopram by 2:1.

My rationale for switching has been the issues I've been having with trying to get to the lower doses on escitalopram.  The liquid Lexapro concentration was too high for me to be able to taper properly (1ml / 20 mg).  I have major doubts that by diluting the solid form of Lexapro, I still wont get the accuracy I need.

By switching to Citalopram (which is chemically similar), I should be able to get from the equivalent of 2.5mg to 0mg more easily.

JC x

I understand thinking that switching might make things easier but first, have you ever taken citalopram/celexa before?

I was on citalopram before being switched to the lexapro (Cipralex/Escitalopram) and there is a BIG difference in the side effects from these two different drugs (I mean, I was prescribed celexa/citalopram for depression but when lexapro hit the market, i was switched to that because it was supposed to be "better" with fewer side effects)

one reason I was so happy (at first!) with the lexapro/Cipralex/Escitalopram was that there were almost NO side effects compared to the citalapram.

Citalapram caused me constant jaw pain, nausea and a bunch of other side effects I dont' recall now.

lexapro caused some yawning and some mild jaw pain at first but that went away.

While you might be getting a lower strength, it could come along with all those added side effects, and at least initially, you might not be able to tell the side effects apart from the WD symtoms

:(

I totally understand your thinking but I dont know if it would work out as well in reality as it does in theory

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Here is the full info about the two

http://psychopharmacologyinstitute.com/antidepressants/ssris/citalopram-escitalopram-differences-similarities/

the main difference

lex is twice potent as citalopram )

Citalopram also inhibits another receptor--histamine, while Lexapro only inhibits SERT.

Other stuff listed in the link such as QTc prolongation is not really accurate as Lexapro is just as bad as citalopram in affecting QTc prolongation.

So the main thing I would be concerned about is something new that is histamine related.

Otherwise, I read ppl say citalopram is indeed much easier to taper than lex.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Administrator

In your situation, Junglechicken, diluting escilatopram liquid probably would be preferable to switching to citalopram.

Milligram for milligram, escilatopram is stronger than citalopram, but the 2:1 proportion is only approximate. You might have to make many adjustments to find the equivalent dosage to your current escilatopram dosage.

I would substitute citalopram only as a last resort, or when reinstating after a period off escilatopram, where the dosage equivalence would not be as important.

Diluting the escilatopram liquid with water is a legitimate technique. One of the ingredients in the bottled liquid is water. If you are nervous about this, either get the pharmacy liquid (if available in your country) for the dilution, or purified water from the pharmacist.

• Mentor
Citalopram also inhibits another receptor--histamine, while Lexapro only inhibits SERT.

excuse my ignorance, I keep seeing this but realized I don't know what it means, what is SERT?

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

• Moderator Emeritus

Serotonin would be my guess. 

Yes, it stands for serotonin transporter

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Mentor

Yes, it stands for serotonin transporter

thanks!!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy