If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

BBC Radio 5 live investigates

anti-depressant BBC

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Distraut

Distraut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

For those of you who can access it, tomorrow, Sunday 12th February, on BBC Radio 5 from 11.0 - 12.0 am here is a programme on anti-depressants.

James Moore started a Petition on Change.org to get assistance with tapering medication

Make Pharmaceutical firms help users who want to stop taking anxiety & depression drugs

:

https://www.change.o...ocation=minibar

BBC Radio 5 live investigates

KTRngJDWsEevkte-128x128-noPad.jpg?147189
James Moore
Caldicot, United Kingdom
vUbnistEvwTdzBK-800x450-noPad.jpg?148680

11 Feb 2017 — Hello there

As we approach 1,400 signatures, I wanted to let you know that BBC Radio 5 live are broadcasting a programme on antidepressants on Sunday 12 February from 1100 to 1200. I am interviewed as part of the program. If you could listen in that would be great, if you felt like making contact with the show to share your experiences that would be even better.

Here's a link to the programmes web page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b08dnpkn

Contact details are:
Phone 0500 909 693
SMS 85058
Email: 5liveinvestigates@bbc.co.uk
Facebook: www.facebook.com/5live
Twiter: @BBC5live

Thank you, as always, for your signatures and your support.

James

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron which was taken until  6th December 2016, decreased to 7.5 mg

Reducing since 24 December 2016.  Now taking approx. 0.625 mg & CBT weekly

#2 powerback

powerback

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

great distraut ile do my best to listen .thanks for bringing the awareness and issue to the public air waves .

June 2012 citroll 10mg

​July 2012 citroll 20 mg

​September 2013 Lexapro 20mg

October 2014 venlafaxine xl 75mg

January 2015 venlafaxine xl 37.5mg

April 2015 venlafaxine xl 75mg

June 2015 venlafaxine 37.5mg ..this is my current dose to this day at present

IVE had 2 unsuccessful tapers in the last year . 

#3 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

Way to go Distraut. What a brilliant idea you have had.

Thankyou for all you're doing.

I'm sure after the radio piece you will get a big surge in signings. Just forwarded it to two others to sign.

nz11

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#4 powerback

powerback

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

just signed petition. Ile be listening .

June 2012 citroll 10mg

​July 2012 citroll 20 mg

#5 Distraut

Distraut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

This radio programme should now be available on BBC catch up:

change-logo-106-22.png spacer1.gifKTRngJDWsEevkte-fullsize.jpg

James Moore just posted an update on Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt: Make Pharmaceutical firms help users who want to stop taking anxiety & depression drugs

spacer1.gif BBC Radio 5 live programme spacer1.gif

For those that are interested the full BBC Radio 5 live programme on antidepressants can be accessed here... http://www.bbc.co.uk...es/b08dnpkn#plaThank you.

spacer1.gifRead full update spacer1.gif

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron which was taken until  6th December 2016, decreased to 7.5 mg

#6 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Thanks James.

After listening to Dr Zoe Noris spouting pharma propaganda i dont hold out much hope for the flood of ad prescribing slowing any time soon.

The good thing (or bad thing) is that doctor Noris is taking these very chemicals for herself ...in time she will have first hand experience as to the fate that awaits. She has already had to ri because of wdl symptoms from trying to get off. I wonder if she is aware its the drug and not her.

In Britain, 63.5 million prescriptions for the yr ending  Sept 2016 up 4 million on the twelve months prior. Oh boy!

The 'prescribe and forget' statement sums it up really.

The very last word the very last sentence by Bryly Gordon was disappointing to say the least.

nz11

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#7 Martina23

Martina23

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:25 AM

I would be much more for a petition that the pharma companies stop producing antidepressants at all, I know that tapering kits help some people but in some way it helps pharma only to produce more antidepressants not less.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-
symptoms OCD

#8 JamesMoore

JamesMoore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hi there

Firstly, thanks to anyone who took the time to listen in to the programme. To have a whole hour dedicated to this topic is important. I know it wasn't as in depth as we would like but I'm hoping to use this to get more airtime to explore the plethora of issues that exist and to tell the real horror stories. I actually thought Dr. Norris went easy on me, she could have made me out to be a moaning, attention seeking so and so, or that my experience was unusual and that most people are fine. Instead I thought I was treated fairly. They only used half of the interview I recorded. I went on to talk about solutions including a national helpline, more training for GPs and Pharmacists and better prescribing guidelines but none of this was used. Maybe next time! But I completely accept that things won't change quickly, however, nothing will change at all if we don't keep pushing.

And, just to respond to Martina23, I'm sorry I really have to disagree. For many people, myself included, having their drug suddenly stopped would be terrifying, leading to hospitalisation in some cases. What users want is a safe, proven method to withdraw that causes the minimum possible suffering. The better the withdrawal, the better the chances that the user will be drug free rather than giving up and going back onto a drug or having to find an alternative. Getting all pharmaceuticals stopped is not reality, getting better support from manufacturers for users is possible, that's where I am focussing my efforts.

March 2012 - Prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg for anxiety and phobias

May 2012 - Jan 2017 - Had several brief spells on 30mg, none helpful, remained at 15mg

May 2017 - Started my withdrawal by transferring to liquid preparation at the same dosage (1ml = 15mg)

#9 Distraut

Distraut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hi James

Very good to see you here and thank you on behalf of all of us for highlighting this problem, both with the petition and the radio interview.

Very well done!

p.s. The history below is that of my son - who today after just over nine months stopping Sertraline "cold turkey" has experienced his first serious "window".  I am over the moon!

#10 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

They only used half of the interview I recorded. I went on to talk about solutions including a national helpline, more training for GPs and Pharmacists and better prescribing guidelines but none of this was used.

This is disappointing as the whole reason for your petition is to demand tapering kits.

I dont think Martina is meaning the drugs should be stopped across the board we are all aware that doing that would put many in a body bag. But  imo no new ssri patients should be triggered and those already on the drugs should be given informed details about the nature of the stuff thats being swallowed and on safe tapering and attempts made to start a tapering programme.

#11 Martina23

Martina23

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:10 AM

Nz, I did not mean it like that. Sure, tapering is better than c/t. But, what I meant is: For me this taking Lyrica made such problems which are for me unacceptable. And this , that I had this problem, comes from using the drug, not from failed tapering. And therefore, for me I dont think these drugs should be on the market, because as long as they are on the market they are prescribed to people, where even the first injection of the drug can make you terrible problems like this woman Katinka which wrote that book. She got the problem even after first dose of Sertralin. This is not normal. Sure, after the people are already dependent, I am all for tapering kits. But I would be for stop prescribing these drugs to new users and tapering kits for the people who are already dependant on these drugs.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-
symptoms OCD

#12 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

Nz, I did not mean it like that. Sure, tapering is better than c/t. But, what I meant is: For me this taking Lyrica made such problems which are for me unacceptable. And this , that I had this problem, comes from using the drug, not from failed tapering. And therefore, for me I dont think these drugs should be on the market, because as long as they are on the market they are prescribed to people, where even the first injection of the drug can make you terrible problems like this woman Katinka which wrote that book. She got the problem even after first dose of Sertralin. This is not normal. Sure, after the people are already dependent, I am all for tapering kits. But I would be for stop prescribing these drugs to new users and tapering kits for the people who are already dependant on these drugs.

Isnt this what i said?

#13 Distraut

Distraut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

Isnt this what i said?

That's how I understood it too.

#14 fema4psychiatrists

fema4psychiatrists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

"we don't have much evidence to suggest that antidepressants cause harm in the long term". That's exactly the point, you NEVER had any evidence. You just used us as guinea pigs. wow she thinks the reason it is hard to come off them is "because it has been helping you for so long" "it's because it made you feel better". She shouldn't be let near a hamster let alone a child or a human being. THIS stole my life! How pathetic. My ancestors actually lost life by fighting nazi's and wild beasts.

And some ignoranus doctors that are on drugs. they believe in was allowed to carve up my little body with chemicals that cause 60+ percent sexual interference.

My government allowed this to happen. 

Cocktail drugged since 9

Genitals went numb

Extreme intestinal gas and pain

Extreme anxiety cant concentrate

All permanent

Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD)

http://pssdblog.blogspot.com

#15 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for posting your thoughts fem

Glad someone else listened to this and came to the same conclusion i did ..Noris is very disappointing.

#16 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,108 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

I listened to at least half or maybe as much as 2/3rds of it and became disappointed with what was being said and gave up.

Reminder to self:      P A T I E N C E       I want to go faster    but I won't

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 24mg (from 19 May 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#17 Distraut

Distraut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

James Moore now has a website and has started a series of podcasts about anti-depressant withdrawal to which you can subscribe

#18 powerback

powerback

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:10 AM

James Moore now has a website and has started a series of podcasts about anti-depressant withdrawal to which you can subscribe

Just listened to podcast .Well done to james for this .kudos to him .

It will be a long time before change but there's a sense of validation of how we suffer from the lies from doctors and big pharma

June 2012 citroll 10mg

​July 2012 citroll 20 mg