SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

BBC Radio 5 live investigates

Distraut

For those of you who can access it, tomorrow, Sunday 12th February, on BBC Radio 5 from 11.0 - 12.0 am here is a programme on anti-depressants.

James Moore started a Petition on Change.org to get assistance with tapering medication

Make Pharmaceutical firms help users who want to stop taking anxiety & depression drugs

:

https://www.change.org/p/secretary-of-state-for-health-jeremy-hunt-make-pharmaceutical-firms-help-users-who-want-to-stop-taking-anxiety-depression-drugs?source_location=minibar

BBC Radio 5 live investigates

KTRngJDWsEevkte-128x128-noPad.jpg?147189
James Moore
Caldicot, United Kingdom
vUbnistEvwTdzBK-800x450-noPad.jpg?148680

11 Feb 2017 — Hello there

As we approach 1,400 signatures, I wanted to let you know that BBC Radio 5 live are broadcasting a programme on antidepressants on Sunday 12 February from 1100 to 1200. I am interviewed as part of the program. If you could listen in that would be great, if you felt like making contact with the show to share your experiences that would be even better.

Here's a link to the programmes web page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b08dnpkn

Contact details are:
Phone 0500 909 693
SMS 85058
Email: 5liveinvestigates@bbc.co.uk
Facebook: www.facebook.com/5live
Twiter: @BBC5live

Thank you, as always, for your signatures and your support.

James

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

great distraut ile do my best to listen .thanks for bringing the awareness and issue to the public air waves .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Way to go Distraut. What a brilliant idea you have had.

Thankyou for all you're doing.

I'm sure after the radio piece you will get a big surge in signings. Just forwarded it to two others to sign.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

This radio programme should now be available on BBC catch up:

change-logo-106-22.png spacer1.gifKTRngJDWsEevkte-fullsize.jpg

James Moore just posted an update on Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt: Make Pharmaceutical firms help users who want to stop taking anxiety & depression drugs

spacer1.gif BBC Radio 5 live programme spacer1.gif

For those that are interested the full BBC Radio 5 live programme on antidepressants can be accessed here... http://www.bbc.co.uk...es/b08dnpkn#plaThank you.

spacer1.gifRead full update spacer1.gif

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

Thanks James.

After listening to Dr Zoe Noris spouting pharma propaganda i dont hold out much hope for the flood of ad prescribing slowing any time soon.

The good thing (or bad thing) is that doctor Noris is taking these very chemicals for herself ...in time she will have first hand experience as to the fate that awaits. She has already had to ri because of wdl symptoms from trying to get off. I wonder if she is aware its the drug and not her.

In Britain, 63.5 million prescriptions for the yr ending  Sept 2016 up 4 million on the twelve months prior. Oh boy!

The 'prescribe and forget' statement sums it up really.

The very last word the very last sentence by Bryly Gordon was disappointing to say the least.

nz11

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I would be much more for a petition that the pharma companies stop producing antidepressants at all, I know that tapering kits help some people but in some way it helps pharma only to produce more antidepressants not less.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Hi there

Firstly, thanks to anyone who took the time to listen in to the programme. To have a whole hour dedicated to this topic is important. I know it wasn't as in depth as we would like but I'm hoping to use this to get more airtime to explore the plethora of issues that exist and to tell the real horror stories. I actually thought Dr. Norris went easy on me, she could have made me out to be a moaning, attention seeking so and so, or that my experience was unusual and that most people are fine. Instead I thought I was treated fairly. They only used half of the interview I recorded. I went on to talk about solutions including a national helpline, more training for GPs and Pharmacists and better prescribing guidelines but none of this was used. Maybe next time! But I completely accept that things won't change quickly, however, nothing will change at all if we don't keep pushing.

And, just to respond to Martina23, I'm sorry I really have to disagree. For many people, myself included, having their drug suddenly stopped would be terrifying, leading to hospitalisation in some cases. What users want is a safe, proven method to withdraw that causes the minimum possible suffering. The better the withdrawal, the better the chances that the user will be drug free rather than giving up and going back onto a drug or having to find an alternative. Getting all pharmaceuticals stopped is not reality, getting better support from manufacturers for users is possible, that's where I am focussing my efforts.

March 2012 - Prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg for anxiety and phobias

May 2012 - Jan 2017 - Had several brief spells on 30mg, none helpful, remained at 15mg

May 2017 - Started my withdrawal by transferring to liquid preparation at the same dosage (1ml = 15mg)

Hi James

Very good to see you here and thank you on behalf of all of us for highlighting this problem, both with the petition and the radio interview.

Very well done!

p.s. The history below is that of my son - who today after just over nine months stopping Sertraline "cold turkey" has experienced his first serious "window".  I am over the moon!

They only used half of the interview I recorded. I went on to talk about solutions including a national helpline, more training for GPs and Pharmacists and better prescribing guidelines but none of this was used.

This is disappointing as the whole reason for your petition is to demand tapering kits.

I dont think Martina is meaning the drugs should be stopped across the board we are all aware that doing that would put many in a body bag. But  imo no new ssri patients should be triggered and those already on the drugs should be given informed details about the nature of the stuff thats being swallowed and on safe tapering and attempts made to start a tapering programme.

Recovering paxil addict

Nz, I did not mean it like that. Sure, tapering is better than c/t. But, what I meant is: For me this taking Lyrica made such problems which are for me unacceptable. And this , that I had this problem, comes from using the drug, not from failed tapering. And therefore, for me I dont think these drugs should be on the market, because as long as they are on the market they are prescribed to people, where even the first injection of the drug can make you terrible problems like this woman Katinka which wrote that book. She got the problem even after first dose of Sertralin. This is not normal. Sure, after the people are already dependent, I am all for tapering kits. But I would be for stop prescribing these drugs to new users and tapering kits for the people who are already dependant on these drugs.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Nz, I did not mean it like that. Sure, tapering is better than c/t. But, what I meant is: For me this taking Lyrica made such problems which are for me unacceptable. And this , that I had this problem, comes from using the drug, not from failed tapering. And therefore, for me I dont think these drugs should be on the market, because as long as they are on the market they are prescribed to people, where even the first injection of the drug can make you terrible problems like this woman Katinka which wrote that book. She got the problem even after first dose of Sertralin. This is not normal. Sure, after the people are already dependent, I am all for tapering kits. But I would be for stop prescribing these drugs to new users and tapering kits for the people who are already dependant on these drugs.

Isnt this what i said?

Recovering paxil addict

Isnt this what i said?

That's how I understood it too.

"we don't have much evidence to suggest that antidepressants cause harm in the long term". That's exactly the point, you NEVER had any evidence. You just used us as guinea pigs. wow she thinks the reason it is hard to come off them is "because it has been helping you for so long" "it's because it made you feel better". She shouldn't be let near a hamster let alone a child or a human being. THIS stole my life! How pathetic. My ancestors actually lost life by fighting nazi's and wild beasts.

And some ignoranus doctors that are on drugs. they believe in was allowed to carve up my little body with chemicals that cause 60+ percent sexual interference.

My government allowed this to happen. 

Cocktail drugged since 9

Genitals went numb

Extreme intestinal gas and pain

Extreme anxiety cant concentrate

All permanent

Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD)

http://pssdblog.blogspot.com

Thanks for posting your thoughts fem

Glad someone else listened to this and came to the same conclusion i did ..Noris is very disappointing.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

I listened to at least half or maybe as much as 2/3rds of it and became disappointed with what was being said and gave up.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

James Moore now has a website and has started a series of podcasts about anti-depressant withdrawal to which you can subscribe

James Moore now has a website and has started a series of podcasts about anti-depressant withdrawal to which you can subscribe

Just listened to podcast .Well done to james for this .kudos to him .

It will be a long time before change but there's a sense of validation of how we suffer from the lies from doctors and big pharma

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy