SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Momma23dogs: Hello, introducing myself

Momma23dogs

Hi,

Off Lexapro for two weeks and took my last Ativan (0.5mg) pill last night. Have muscle and joint pains- more on my right side than on my left. Also have cold tremors when waking up in the morning. Lots of crying and anxiety - any advice or sharing of stories with similar symptoms will be much appreciated. See below for full story.

Does anyone have bad muscle knots, pain - primarily more on one side than the other? My Psychiatrist told me it couldn't be side-effects if it was more on one side. I am predominantly right-handed and have more pain there.

I have been on Prozac off and on since my mid-20s. I will be 45 this year. My last and highest dose was 60mgs. I decided to wean myself off last August (2016). I was sick of constipation, no libido, and emotional numbing. I had also gained about 30 lbs. despite eating healthy and working out 5 times a week.

I thought I weaned slowly - took about 3 months and was reducing by 10mg every 2-3 weeks. But in October, I experienced high anxiety and cold tremors when waking up in the morning. I thought my anxiety was back and went to see my Psychiatrist. He was upset that I had weaned off without seeking his help. He then prescribed Lexapro which he called a "clean drug". I started at 5mg and was also given a benzo - Restoril which gave me hives 3 days of usage. I then just used Lexapro and Benadryl for sleep. At 10mg of Lexapro I woke up 1 day with pain in my right arm,right forearm, shoulder and neck. I had some pain on my lest hand near my thumb but not as bad. I was told by my Psychiatrist that since the pains were one-sided that they were not side effects of the drug. I continued using Lexapro slowly increasing dosage till I was at 20mg. My anxiety was worse than ever and I had a Panic Attack for the first time and went to urgent care. I went off of Lexapro essentially cold turkey. Was given 1 mg of Ativan for 7 days by Urgent Care Dr. And now I'm here.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Off and On Prozac - 20mg from 1997 - 2002,Consistently On Prozac from 2006 onwards to 2016 - dosage was upped from  20mg to 40mg to 60mg

Was on 60mg of Prozac consistently from 2015 onward,Tapered Off of Prozac starting August 2016 after noticing side-effects of Constipation, Sexual Libido reduction, Emotional Numbness. Tapering was done by reducing 10mg at a time starting August 2016 through September 2016

Developed severe Anxiety starting Mid-October 2016.Was put on Lexapro October 31, 2016 at 5 mg. Increased Lexapro to 10mg in November 2016

Developed pain in both arms (near thumb area), right forearm, right elbow, right shoulder and neck area in November 2016

Increased Lexapro to 15mg in December and then 20mg in December 2016. Had two panic-attacks - the last one landed me in Emergency in Jan 2017

Was given a prescription for Ativan for 7 days to help me sleep. Went Off Cold-Turkey from Lexapro after Emergency visit

Crying, Anger symptoms after cold-turkey of lexapro. Body pains were better.

Prescription of Ativan ran out and now I have cold tremors when waking up in the morning, and sleeplessness, and possible clenching of teeth

Hi thought I was the only one that have pain on just one side but I have it in my back. And I'm left handed and I got pain in the right side. The anxiety and everything else is withdrawal. I never suffered bad depression or anxiety till stopping A/Ds and sleeping pills that's wh y I know this is not normal sickness. Please read all the links on surviving antidepressants it will help you understand what's going on with you as Drs don't help or know but you that's suffering know that it's the drugs that are doing it . I cold turkeyed more this 2 years ago and still suffer with many issues . Hang in there and get as much info as you can. GOD BLESS

Hi I thought it was only me suffering right side pain . I've been off citalopram and zolnox for more than 2 years and still suffer with anxiety and lots more things . Try and follow the links provided here on Surviving Antidepressants you will get lots of help and it will help to know your not going mad and there are many many others suffering the same things. Drs do not know or understand what this is really like they all say it's not the pills but your before problem but you know your body and mind and what's happening at the moment is far worse than when u started the drugs. It does get better but it takes time and time alone. GOD BLESS

Dear doggiemama, thanks for you reassurance.  I really need that. I'm hoping that more people will reply but it looks like people just look at my post but don't reply to it, which makes me feel bad :(

It is humbling to see so many people fighting to get off anti-depressants.  I wish I had know more before I started taking the meds but I was taught to trust my doctors and now I see they don't know everything and don't always have my best interests at heart!!! It's just sad because we are taught to trust these professionals and when they don't do right by us - we are left with no real recourse.

Off and On Prozac - 20mg from 1997 - 2002,Consistently On Prozac from 2006 onwards to 2016 - dosage was upped from  20mg to 40mg to 60mg

Was on 60mg of Prozac consistently from 2015 onward,Tapered Off of Prozac starting August 2016 after noticing side-effects of Constipation, Sexual Libido reduction, Emotional Numbness. Tapering was done by reducing 10mg at a time starting August 2016 through September 2016

Developed severe Anxiety starting Mid-October 2016.Was put on Lexapro October 31, 2016 at 5 mg. Increased Lexapro to 10mg in November 2016

Developed pain in both arms (near thumb area), right forearm, right elbow, right shoulder and neck area in November 2016

Increased Lexapro to 15mg in December and then 20mg in December 2016. Had two panic-attacks - the last one landed me in Emergency in Jan 2017

Was given a prescription for Ativan for 7 days to help me sleep. Went Off Cold-Turkey from Lexapro after Emergency visit

Prescription of Ativan ran out and now I have cold tremors when waking up in the morning, and sleeplessness, and possible clenching of teeth

Wondering if anyone started feeling pain when they went on Lexapro? I ask because I woke up with pain in thumb side of hand, forearm, shoulder and neck when I increased my dosage of Lexapro from 5mg to 10mg? Pain got worse as doc continued to increase my dosage to 15 and finally to 20mgs. I could not handle this pain and went off of Lexapro. I had been on it for a total of 3 months. It has been 2 weeks and pain is better but not gone. My emotions are all over the place and I've been crying and flying into angry rants.

What I want to know is if anybody had pain while on their SSRI and did it continue while they were in the withdrawal process? How long did it last?

Yes. All types of crazy and severe pain allover is what I have lived with these years before tapering and during tapering. I'm still on the crap so can't see much about what it's like after stopping, but I do believe it ps nit as frequent apsince I got down below expectations 1mg or around there, but when it comes it still the same power making your heart shakes.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Administrator

Welcome, momma23dogs.

It sounds like you got withdrawal symptoms in October from reducing the Prozac. When you took Lexapro, did those withdrawal symptoms go away?

It also sounds like you were taking much too high a dosage of Lexapro, which is no more clean than any other SSRI and quite a bit stronger milligram for milligram than all the others.

Now it sounds like you have withdrawal syndrome after several adverse reactions to antidepressants. Your nervous system has probably been sensitized by these adventures.

Body pain is a very common withdrawal symptom. Do you have any Prozac or Lexapro left? If I were you, I would consider a very low dose of one or the other to reinstate, stabilize, and then taper off later by tiny amounts. 

See About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Also, please consider fish oil and magnesium supplements

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Try a little bit, one at a time, and see how it affects you. Many people find these helpful.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi momma and welcome from me too,

It will be helpful if you would Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. If you are using a phone there are instructions in Posts 9 & 10.

These links contain information about how to get a small dose:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

And you might find the information here helpful:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

You can ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic and journal your progress.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yes, I also had nerve, joint and muscle pain on my right side - worse pain I have ever had in my life.

These included sciatica, lower back, headaches (probably sinus), deep right shoulder pain which had me visiting A&E, nerve pain all the way down my right arm to tips of my fingers.

This stopped once I re-instated, but I still get right-sided sinus headaches.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I've had all kinds of pain with the medications, especially pain that I had in low amounts already seemed to be amplified. In the summer of 2015, I developed left-sided pain and all kinds of muscle knots/trigger points in my left back and crazy panic that would set these off. It took 2 or 3 months for those to settle down. Not sure exactly what caused it other than being on and off some meds and supplements. It was horrible. I couldn't even drive myself anywhere. That calmed down after several months. Still have a lot of generalized body pain while I am tapering, more than usual, and now foot pain that is worse than ever. I am riding it out and doing self-care to ease things. Please continue reading on here and following what Altostrata and others have to say. They are so helpful!!

2014-2015, tapered off risperdal 1 mg done 11/14, Librium 2/15 from 25 mg (switched from Klonopin), and Prozac 40 mg to 20 mg and went off without tapering last 20 mg I think (no record of that) by March or April 2015. Possible rebound anxiety started in May 2015 (plus I'm anxious anyway but controlled usually).

Flexeril in August 2015 (for a couple weeks) and then 1 5 mg dose of Prozac in September 2015. Either going off flexeril or trying the Prozac or both plus my previous jump off Prozac that spring set off withdrawal symptoms, which at the time I just thought was severe anxiety due to a frightening situation that had happened plus insomnia and neuro symptoms. Also had a 1-week of steroid in July 2015 that made things a lot worse (anxiety, obsessing)

Buspar, Sept. 2015, didn't work well (severe chest pain), tapered off. Ambien, 2 nights for terrible new insomnia. Afraid of Ambien and went on Mirtazapine. Tried some ativan 2 or 3 times during this time, felt great while on, but rebound anxiety severe so stopped.

Mirtazapine 15 mg, 1 night on Oct. 9 '15, brain fog, too sedated, groggy all day; Mirtazapine 7.5 mg for about a week. Told pdoc didn't like bc side effects. He said I could jump off. Tapered down to 5.8 mg in a few days and held to talk to doc. He said stay on, seemed to help. It is helping sleeping but nothing else. Went from 5.8 mg to 5.6 mg on one day and 5.7 mg the rest. Taken from 5.7 mg to 5 mg while hospitalized in December 2015. Took a total of 3 doses of Valium during that time. Started on less than 5 mg Paxil by pdoc after hospitalization.

Started lowering mirtazapine dose from 5 to 4.6 mg on Mondays on Jan 4, 2016. Horrible. 1/18/16. Held mirt at 5 mg and 4 mg Paxil by weight on scale until April 2016. Slowly tapering since then 0.1 mg at a time.

Current dose: 2/17, 3.4 mg mirtazapine; 2.4 mg paxil; 3/17, 3.1 mg mirt; 2.1 mg paxil; 7/17 2.8 mg mirt, 1.8 mg paxil; Jan 2018 1.5 mg paxil, 2.5 mg mirtazapine  Update; January 11, 2021:  1.1 mg paxil and 2.5 mg mirtazapine and holding since at least January 2019.

I have added a signature to my posts now.  I feel I have been off of Prozac too long to reinstate it. I don't want to go back on Lexapro because it caused my anxiety and body pain symptoms. I am not sure what I should do for reinstatement.

Should I reinstate on 10mg of Prozac even though I have been off the drug since September 2016?  The biggest problem I have right now are cold tremors waking me in the morning - I think this is because I am not taking the Ativan for sleep - even though I was on Ativan only for 7 days.

Anybody else have the jitters and cold tremors in the morning? Is there anyway to ease this symptom?

This is going to take a long time and its very disheartening because you feel like u will never feel better but I promise u will . I'm not what I should be but so much better than I used to be

Hi,

I am considering reinstating on Prozac after being off since September 2016. In the meantime, I was on Lexapro that caused a lot of muscle tension and eventually a panic attack - I was on Lex for 3 months and went off cold turkey. Now, I'm experiencing panicky feelings, anxiety, crying, cold tremors when waking up in the morning and throughout the day and more neck and shoulder tension.

Would it work to go back on a small dose of Prozac - 10mgs? I went off it last September and since then have been on Lexapro - so I'm  not sure if it can be even considered reinstatement?

Has anyone done this and been successful at it?  I am desperate for some relief from my symptoms...

Edited by KarenB
merged intro topics

• Administrator

A tiny dose of Prozac, maybe as little as 0.5mg, might be a good way to test the waters.

Have you tried acupuncture or chiropractic for the body pain? These drugs can cause muscle tension that becomes habitual.

If you're lucky enough to live near an osteopath who offers osteopathic manual treatment, that would be excellent, too -- it's very gentle.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

Hi,

I am considering reinstating on Prozac after being off since September 2016. In the meantime, I was on Lexapro that caused a lot of muscle tension and eventually a panic attack - I was on Lex for 3 months and went off cold turkey. Now, I'm experiencing panicky feelings, anxiety, crying, cold tremors when waking up in the morning and throughout the day and more neck and shoulder tension.

Would it work to go back on a small dose of Prozac - 10mgs? I went off it last September and since then have been on Lexapro - so I'm  not sure if it can be even considered reinstatement?

Has anyone done this and been successful at it?  I am desperate for some relief from my symptoms...

Hi

I am sorry you are going thru this, I am going thru something similar and it's rough, I understand

I can't advise you about reinstating, If you hated the lexapro, then I surely wouldn't take that. (it's what I"m trying to get off of now, for the 3rd time!!)

a tiny dose (much smaller than 10mgs) of prozac might help you.

I had to reinstate the lexapro after jumping off (stupidly) at 2.5mgs and since I really did not want to take lexapro at all, I went back at a tiny tiny dose, literally 1/20 of a mg!

I gradually added more til I was at .15mgs twice a day, and that has made most of my symptoms go away (I still have insomnia and other things but I"m managing)

I have read stories here of many others reinstating, or switching over to prozac due to it's very long half life, and most appear to have done well with that. Not all but it seems to me, from what I've read, that most do better reinstating than not.

I have had the pain and muscle tension you mention, and also trouble with my body temp (either too hot- usually later in the day or any time I eat anything!) and the coldness is more common for me in the morning. It seems many of us have worse symptoms in the morning and they get better thru out the day.

You may find it helpful to keep track of what symptoms you have and when, this will help you decide what is working and also what might be making things worse.

It's easy to forget from one day to the next, esp when you are going thru a rough time.

You are going to get better, though, so don't worry about that. we all heal eventually, it just takes time.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;)