☼ kateinsocal: in the last stages of Paxil tapering

kateinsocal

kateinsocal's Success Story

Hi Everyone!

I can't even express in words how glad I am I found this forum!

I've been on 25mg CR of Paxil for 11 years now. Started to taper off at the end of last summer as my life is much more stable now and I was tired of feeling numb/like a zombie/tired ALL THE TIME. The difference I've felt since being on such a smaller dose now is day and night. I have energy and am not falling asleep during the day anymore. My anxiety has also been incredibly manageable and I haven't struggled too much with it. 

I like so many have experienced that my doctor has no idea what she's talking about. She advised first to switch from the 25mg CR version to 12.5mg CR version, which I did, and the first couple weeks were rough. It got better, but then had another relapse of symptoms 6 weeks in. I ended up soldiering through as it was manageable and stayed on the 12.5 through the end of the year. 

At the start of this year I began to taper off again, first to the non-CR version, then down 2.5mg/week per the advice of my doctor. I experienced no withdrawal symptoms until I hit 3.75 (they were still very mild) then some more intense but still manageable at 2.5mg. The big mistake I made was going down to 1.25 when I wasn't feeling great, because yesterday was a day from hell. I could hardly get through the day, it was so awful. So, after reading the advice here I went back up to 2.5 last night and am feeling much better today. Just mild symptoms (brain zaps mostly, and feeling like I'm going to cry at any point) which are tolerable and am hoping they'll subside soon.

I am thankful to have read about the 10% taper off plan because my doctor literally told me I was at such a small amount now that I should be fine to hop off (HA!). Also really thankful to read that I only have to go back up to a little bit to feel okay again. I was worried I would have to reinstate at almost the full dose. 

I've been managing with a quicker taper due to meditation (headspace app), essential oil blends, running, long walks, pilates and weekly CB therapy (as well as lots of face time with Jesus). I also took a B Complex vitamin for the first time yesterday, which I feel helped too.

Was super discouraged yesterday at my set back but am optimistic this new 10% taper plan will have me off in a few months. I am thankful to have found a place where so many are in similar spots to me as they are fairly rare to find in my day to day life. This isn't a race!

Tapering off is TOUGH - let's do this together :)

Edited by ChessieCat
added success story link

2002-2003 25mg Paxil CR due to PTSD and severe anxiety. 2005-2016 25mg Paxil CR due to resurgence of panic attacks and severe anxiety.

Started tapering late summer 2016.

Aug 2016 - 25mg CR immediate cut to 12.5mg CR, then held 4-5 months 

Jan 2017 - 12.5mg (CR) to 12.5mg (non CR), then after a week.

Jan/Feb 2017 - 12.5mg (non CR) taper down 2.5mg/week (1.25mg every 3-4 days), and felt no symptoms at all until debilitating withdrawal effects at 1.25mg, so immediately went back up to last stable dose of 2.5mg.

Held at 2.5mg. Experienced mild/moderate anxiety waves, brain zaps, lightheadedness, feeling fuzzy, cortisol spikes, burning/prickling skin and lots of anxious energy.

Tried Omega 3s for two days and experienced debilitating anxiety and depression (+urgent care visit), so stopped that 2/19. 

Mar 12 2017 - Switched to half liquid/half pill, had a minor spike in anxiety but it faded over a couple days

Mar 19 2017 - Switched to full liquid - 2.5mg/1.25ml - experienced a spike 7-8 days in, but stabilized over next week. Another awful spike over 4/12-4/16 due to inadvertently eating a ton of flax seed, but two amazing normal weeks followed that.

Tapering off liquid - 3/19 - 2.5mg, 4/30 - 2.25mg, 5/29 - 2.02mg, (weekend of depression around 7/2), 7/24 - 1.82mg, 9/4 - 1.64mg, slow taper (.04mg/wk) until .025ml liquid (0.50mg) last dose on 8/8/18, plus melatonin almost every night. Also daily mindfulness, CB therapy, exercise, and positive self talk. 1/2 lorazepam in emergencies (not since Sept 2017). Battle random nights of insomnia, and difficulty falling/staying asleep, lapses in focus, obsessive thought.

A/O Aug 9. 2018 - PAXIL FREE.

Welcome to the forum!  :)

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Kateincali,

I hardly need to reply to your intro, as you seem to have really got yourself informed and sorted - good on you!  As you've discovered, the last stages of a taper are often the most difficult.  People do usually need to go slower at the point you've reached, and be very sure to make 10% reductions off the current dose (not the original dose). 

I should mention that B-vitamins can be very activating on our w/d symptoms, and we usually discourage people from taking them.  They may have contributed to your awful day.  You may instead like to try Fish oil and Magnesium which many people find useful during withdrawal. 

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions.  You have every reason to be optimistic. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hello Kateincali,

I hardly need to reply to your intro, as you seem to have really got yourself informed and sorted - good on you!  As you've discovered, the last stages of a taper are often the most difficult.  People do usually need to go slower at the point you've reached, and be very sure to make 10% reductions off the current dose (not the original dose). 

I should mention that B-vitamins can be very activating on our w/d symptoms, and we usually discourage people from taking them.  They may have contributed to your awful day.  You may instead like to try Fish oil and Magnesium which many people find useful during withdrawal. 

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions.  You have every reason to be optimistic. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

Hi Karen!

Thank you SO much for your response. I can't believe I've found this awesome community of people who just genuinely want to help each other through it.

(I do like to do my research! Most of it came from different boards on this site. Have I mentioned how thankful I am for it?!) 

Thank you for the thoughts on Vitamin B! I will not take it tomorrow and see if I feel any better or worse. I'm glad today was better than yesterday, and I feel comfortable pushing through the discomfort to hold the 2.5mg level for a bit. I will be asking my Dr. for the liquid version on Tuesday, and found some 0.5mL syringes on Amazon! (of course, which I won't use until I've been solid for a couple weeks)

I will absolutely start taking some fish oil (and probably order the exact one recommended in that link) in addition to some Vitamin E to help it absorb. It looks like there are several different options for Magnesium - either drinking citrate, or taking carbonate, or putting it on externally. What do you recommend? 

Anything else? I would rather power through than drag this out, but clearly that approach only worked to a certain extent. 

Thank you also for the emphasis about the 10% of the current dose - noted! And will do. I will not rush this again. Learned that the hard way! 

2002-2003 25mg Paxil CR due to PTSD and severe anxiety. 2005-2016 25mg Paxil CR due to resurgence of panic attacks and severe anxiety.

Jan/Feb 2017 - 12.5mg (non CR) taper down 2.5mg/week (1.25mg every 3-4 days), and felt no symptoms at all until debilitating withdrawal effects at 1.25mg, so immediately went back up to last stable dose of 2.5mg.

Held at 2.5mg. Experienced mild/moderate anxiety waves, brain zaps, lightheadedness, feeling fuzzy, cortisol spikes, burning/prickling skin and lots of anxious energy.

Tried Omega 3s for two days and experienced debilitating anxiety and depression (+urgent care visit), so stopped that 2/19. 

Mar 12 2017 - Switched to half liquid/half pill, had a minor spike in anxiety but it faded over a couple days

Mar 19 2017 - Switched to full liquid - 2.5mg/1.25ml - experienced a spike 7-8 days in, but stabilized over next week. Another awful spike over 4/12-4/16 due to inadvertently eating a ton of flax seed, but two amazing normal weeks followed that.

Tapering off liquid - 3/19 - 2.5mg, 4/30 - 2.25mg, 5/29 - 2.02mg, (weekend of depression around 7/2), 7/24 - 1.82mg, 9/4 - 1.64mg, slow taper (.04mg/wk) until .025ml liquid (0.50mg) last dose on 8/8/18, plus melatonin almost every night. Also daily mindfulness, CB therapy, exercise, and positive self talk. 1/2 lorazepam in emergencies (not since Sept 2017). Battle random nights of insomnia, and difficulty falling/staying asleep, lapses in focus, obsessive thought.

• Moderator Emeritus

It usually takes a minimum of 4 days for a change in dose to take effect, and further stabilising can happen over the next few weeks and months. 

Switching to liquid - it can cause a small bump for some people, depending on sensitivities.  Some people therefore choose to make a gradual switch.

Personally, I take magnesium citrate pills, as they are reportedly gentler on stomachs.  Occasionally I have a hot bath with epsom salts dissolved in it, which is also very soothing. 

I'm very glad you're feeling better for having found this community.  It does make a real difference, knowing you're not going through something alone. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Hi All,

I'm on day 3 of my updose to 2.5mg after having severe side effects on the 1.25 (I tapered too fast)

I've been taking omega 3s with vitamin E for two days now, but am still feeling like I'm suffering slightly.

How do I know when to stick through the unpleasantries (feelings of slight depression, anxiety) and when to updose again to do damage control after my awful bout this week??

Thanks!!

Tagging along. Am also unsure when it's time to try and mitigate my symptoms with a slight up dose. You never want to go backwards. But quality of life and functionality is necessary. I'm 2 weeks in from updosing from 2.5 to 5 mg after a way to aggressive taper. still having symptoms with some improvement. Best of luck stay strong.

14mg prozac liquid 4/20/2018

3/11/2019 6.0mg prozac liquid. 

2/17/2020 3.6mg prozac liquid

Tagging along. Am also unsure when it's time to try and mitigate my symptoms with a slight up dose. You never want to go backwards. But quality of life and functionality is necessary. I'm 2 weeks in from updosing from 2.5 to 5 mg after a way to aggressive taper. still having symptoms with some improvement. Best of luck stay strong.

It's comforting to hear someone else had to updose - makes me feel like I"m not alone!

I just went on a walk with a friend and had a hard time focusing on her words at times, and also lost my words a couple times. The road also seemed to zoom out a bit (similar to what you experience with an optical illusion). 

Could this be caused by my introduction of Omega 3s? Should I updose again or stick it out??

• Moderator Emeritus

It's only been 3 days.  It takes about 4 days for the change of dose to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Have your symptoms been improving over the last few days since going up to 2.5mg?  If yes, that is a good sign.

It's a good idea to Keep Notes on Paper and to Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress.  Sometimes you can't feel the improvements that have happened but may be able to see them from notes.  It's also important to Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

It's comforting to hear someone else had to updose - makes me feel like I"m not alone!

I just went on a walk with a friend and had a hard time focusing on her words at times, and also lost my words a couple times. The road also seemed to zoom out a bit (similar to what you experience with an optical illusion). 

Could this be caused by my introduction of Omega 3s? Should I updose again or stick it out??

Im 2 weeks out from updosing and still not what I would call stable.  Im going to give it another week and reassess how I feel.  Omega 3's.......  I picked up some high potency EPA fishoil in the hopes it would help. It had an adverse effect made me schiz out.  Everyone is different. I have always taken them from time to time and never had an issue.  But when in acute withdrawal they made things worse. I also had an adverse effect from taking a B-complex supplement.  I currently use Vitamin D and will be introducing Magnesium.  

The recommendations regarding supplements on this site are spot on.  Introduce slow and be conservative. In my desire to obtain relief I over did it and paid a bit.  I believe they can help and do have their place.  Its so hard to be slow and steady when your mind is racing and you are freaking out. I totally get it.  I have gazed heavily at my PC lately looking for answers and relief.  I believe it can be a detriment.  I was ready to start popping 5-HTTP and tryptophan. I was manic and in crises.  

I am far from an expert just a fellow sufferer.  But I have come to trust the knowledge obtained here.  Im still not convinced I will not need to updose a bit to be stable.  If I do so be it.  But I almost went back on my original dose and that could have been counterproductive. Its an old cliche....but slow and steady.

All the best

Alright, day 4 and it's not good. I haven't been able to get out of bed all day. Anxiety is peaked, feeling depressed. Sensory overload. Not good. What do I do? Updose? Urgent care?

• Moderator Emeritus

You were taking 12.5mg Jan/Feb 2017 so updosing by a small amount might be helpful.

You mentioned in your first post that at some stage you were taking 3.75mg (this is not mentioned in your signature).

You could try updosing to 3mg and see if that improves things over the next few days.

Also, you might find Magnesium will help with the anxiety.  I have found that it takes the edge off my anxiety.

It's also helpful to learn Non-drug techniques to cope

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you think the worsening of symptoms coincided with beginning fish oil?  Occasionally someone does react badly to it. 

8 month hold.

You were taking 12.5mg Jan/Feb 2017 so updosing by a small amount might be helpful.

You mentioned in your first post that at some stage you were taking 3.75mg (this is not mentioned in your signature).

You could try updosing to 3mg and see if that improves things over the next few days.

Also, you might find Magnesium will help with the anxiety.  I have found that it takes the edge off my anxiety.

It's also helpful to learn Non-drug techniques to cope

ChessieCat, 

Thank you so much for responding so quickly, and for your insight. 

I feel as if another updose is likely necessary - how did you settle on 3mg? Is .5 of a mg really enough to help? 

I picked up some liquid magnesium citrate (Rite Aid brand) on Friday but am nervous to introduce anything else new especially since I think I had such an adverse reaction to the Omega 3s. Also, how much should I take (assuming I need to add it to water??) 

Definitely going to check out the non-drug coping techniques. I really need something to help me get through the days.

Do you think the worsening of symptoms coincided with beginning fish oil?  Occasionally someone does react badly to it. 

I actually do. I could be wrong, but my symptoms were a 3-4 on intensity scale before I started taking it, and have been hovering around a 5-8 since then.

Im 2 weeks out from updosing and still not what I would call stable.  Im going to give it another week and reassess how I feel.  Omega 3's.......  I picked up some high potency EPA fishoil in the hopes it would help. It had an adverse effect made me schiz out.  Everyone is different. I have always taken them from time to time and never had an issue.  But when in acute withdrawal they made things worse. I also had an adverse effect from taking a B-complex supplement.  I currently use Vitamin D and will be introducing Magnesium.  

The recommendations regarding supplements on this site are spot on.  Introduce slow and be conservative. In my desire to obtain relief I over did it and paid a bit.  I believe they can help and do have their place.  Its so hard to be slow and steady when your mind is racing and you are freaking out. I totally get it.  I have gazed heavily at my PC lately looking for answers and relief.  I believe it can be a detriment.  I was ready to start popping 5-HTTP and tryptophan. I was manic and in crises.  

I am far from an expert just a fellow sufferer.  But I have come to trust the knowledge obtained here.  Im still not convinced I will not need to updose a bit to be stable.  If I do so be it.  But I almost went back on my original dose and that could have been counterproductive. Its an old cliche....but slow and steady.

All the best

Thank you SO much for sharing about your adverse reaction to the fish oil. I feel like that is what happened to me and there weren't a lot of those stories on the Omega3 train. I also share your mentality about wanting to pop anything that will help, and it's finding the strength to not do that in order to not mess things up more. 

When you updosed, how did you decide how much to updose to? What are the exact symptoms you are having that is making you still not feel stable? How intense are they on a scale from 1-10, with 10 being severe?

So, after my morning in HELL (severe depression, withdrawn feelings, anxiety, completely no energy, lack of appetite) I took 0.25mg of lorazepam and went to Urgent Care. 

I am well aware docs don't know a ton about this, but felt like I was on the edge of a total breakdown and had to try something. He suggested updosing from 2.5mg to 5mg, but take 2.5mg twice a day so that it stays in my system longer. Does anyone feel like this is a good idea? Do I try updosing a bit (maybe not to 5.0) and seeing if that helps? I was okay on Thurs/Fri, but had what I believe was an adverse reaction to the Omega 3s and have been feeling much worse. Do I continue to ride out the 2.5mg (taking lorazepam when needed?) or should I updose? I'm on Day 4 of trying to stabilize, and I'm at the point where I don't know how to get through each day without suffering every moment.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would STOP taking the fish oil, remain at the same dose and let things settle down. It's important to make only one change at a time so you can keep track of what is causing what. 

It may be an uncomfortable few days, so self-care will be important. 

8 month hold.

All the best

Thank you SO much for sharing about your adverse reaction to the fish oil. I feel like that is what happened to me and there weren't a lot of those stories on the Omega3 train. I also share your mentality about wanting to pop anything that will help, and it's finding the strength to not do that in order to not mess things up more. 

When you updosed, how did you decide how much to updose to? What are the exact symptoms you are having that is making you still not feel stable? How intense are they on a scale from 1-10, with 10 being severe?

My guess for updosing was a crapshoot to be honest. I was advised to stay put and ride it out for a little bit but I was in bad shape. In my mind the last stable dose I was at was 5mg. But based on my fast taper I'm wondering if I didn't experience the withdrawal until I got down to 2.2. My symptoms are pretty constant in timing. I wake up feel slightly jitttery and I take my medication. As the day wears on my symptoms grow. I become agitated. My vision becomes distorted. I feel fatigued like I have low blood sugar. I become difficult to be around. I have depersonalization with anxiety. In the evening it abades. I feel better. Seems waves during the day windows in the evening. What this means I'm not sure. Is the 5 mg making feel feel like crap and it wears off in the evening or do I need more to be stable. I wish I had the answer. It's very hard and you are not alone. I will share my journey and hope for healing. If anything works I will share. Please don't lose hope. I hope and pray for us both.

I would STOP taking the fish oil, remain at the same dose and let things settle down. It's important to make only one change at a time so you can keep track of what is causing what. 

It may be an uncomfortable few days, so self-care will be important. 

Doing more and more research and I'm fairly confident I did have a horrible reaction to the Omega 3s. Tempted to try something else (Magnesium? L-Tyrosine?) but terrified to put anything new into my body! 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's understandable.  Maybe wait until things settle down, and then try small amounts of magnesium. 

Posting your fish oil experience in the fish oil thread would be of use to others.

8 month hold.

That's understandable.  Maybe wait until things settle down, and then try small amounts of magnesium. 

Posting your fish oil experience in the fish oil thread would be of use to others.

Already did! There were hardly any negative reviews so thought it would only be fitting to add mine in! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Stay away from L-Tyrosine, some people find it stimulating or over-stimulating.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Everyone, 

Well after my hellish weekend a visit to my GP was much welcomed. 

As a part of my continued goal to get off Paxil, my doc suggested implementing 2.5mg of Citalopram in addition to the 2.5mg of Paxil (take Paxil at night, take Citalopram in the AM) to help me get off the Paxil (which is my immediate and ultimate goal). I would take both for a week, then ween of the Paxil. Does anyone see a problem with this plan? What should the recommended ween timeline be for this transition? 

It usually takes a minimum of 4 days for a change in dose to take effect, and further stabilising can happen over the next few weeks and months. 

Switching to liquid - it can cause a small bump for some people, depending on sensitivities.  Some people therefore choose to make a gradual switch.

Personally, I take magnesium citrate pills, as they are reportedly gentler on stomachs.  Occasionally I have a hot bath with epsom salts dissolved in it, which is also very soothing. 

I'm very glad you're feeling better for having found this community.  It does make a real difference, knowing you're not going through something alone. 

Karen

Hi Karen, 

The only mangesium citrate pills I found were in large doses (250mg). Which brand do you take, and how much? 

I found a liquid version at CVS for $3 and needless to say I have my concerns about it...

All the best

My guess for updosing was a crapshoot to be honest. I was advised to stay put and ride it out for a little bit but I was in bad shape. In my mind the last stable dose I was at was 5mg. But based on my fast taper I'm wondering if I didn't experience the withdrawal until I got down to 2.2. My symptoms are pretty constant in timing. I wake up feel slightly jitttery and I take my medication. As the day wears on my symptoms grow. I become agitated. My vision becomes distorted. I feel fatigued like I have low blood sugar. I become difficult to be around. I have depersonalization with anxiety. In the evening it abades. I feel better. Seems waves during the day windows in the evening. What this means I'm not sure. Is the 5 mg making feel feel like crap and it wears off in the evening or do I need more to be stable. I wish I had the answer. It's very hard and you are not alone. I will share my journey and hope for healing. If anything works I will share. Please don't lose hope. I hope and pray for us both.

I can't stop thinking about this post, and wishing I had the answer. To me, it sounds like it's making you worse...

What has everyone else on this board said? 

Hi All, 

My Dr has recommended adding in citalopram (2.5mg) to my currently (trying to stabilize at 2.5mg of Paxil) by taking the 2.5mg of Citalopram in the morning and the 2.5mg of Paxil at night. 

I am still incredibly agitated and tense after updosing to this level (with an adverse Omega 3 episode that did not help), and do not want to updose on any more Paxil. Since the Citalopram has a much longer half life and has far fewer side effects, I thought this would be a good plan to help me get off the Paxil, then transition more easily off the Citalopram. 

Thoughts?! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi kate,

I've moved your post from the Tips for Tapering Paxil topic because it is about your own situation and it keeps your history in one place.

Generally it is better to stay on the original drug.  The withdrawal you are experiencing is from Paxil, which is what your brain had adapted to.  Changing over to a different drug can muddy the waters.  You may end up with start up/side effects from the new drug and because you will be getting withdrawal from the original drug (which the new drug may not help with) it can then be difficult to work out what is causing any issues.

Hi kate,

I've moved your post from the Tips for Tapering Paxil topic because it is about your own situation and it keeps your history in one place.

Generally it is better to stay on the original drug.  The withdrawal you are experiencing is from Paxil, which is what your brain had adapted to.  Changing over to a different drug can muddy the waters.  You may end up with start up/side effects from the new drug and because you will be getting withdrawal from the original drug (which the new drug may not help with) it can then be difficult to work out what is causing any issues.

Thanks so much, Chessie! Really, means the world to me.

I suppose I got concerned because my doc said I am still very agitated and anxious and doesn't want me to stay like this. I thought it sounded like a better plan than waiting and seeing if I stabilize over the next few weeks...and I agree that I can't remain at this state forever. I'm far too tense still.

What is a good amount of time to wait and see if I stabilize over? What should I be watching out for as sure indicators I should up-dose? 

• Moderator Emeritus

The question I ask myself when I get a withdrawal symptom when I have made a dose drop is "can I live with this symptom if it continues".  Most times the answer has been "yes, I can" but a couple of times it was "no, it is too severe".

It might be worth waiting a few more days to see if things improve after stopping the Omega, but I've just realised it may have only been a coincidence and not a bad reaction.

You were taking 12.5mg Jan which was at the longest about 7-8 weeks ago and you are now on 2.5mg.  My personal opinion would be to increase by a small amount.  I'm still thinking going to 3mg.  I realise that adding an additional 0.5mg may seem insignificant, but these drugs are strong.  That 0.5mg may just be enough to help things improve.

Have you seen this topic?  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves.  It might help you to understand how such a small amount can make a bigger impact than what we realise.

Also, I noticed in your signature that you have written "debilitating side effects".  I would like to suggest that you can it to withdrawal symptoms because side effects are when you are taking the "full" dose of a drug, whereas withdrawal is when going off the drug.

The question I ask myself when I get a withdrawal symptom when I have made a dose drop is "can I live with this symptom if it continues".  Most times the answer has been "yes, I can" but a couple of times it was "no, it is too severe".

It might be worth waiting a few more days to see if things improve after stopping the Omega, but I've just realised it may have only been a coincidence and not a bad reaction.

You were taking 12.5mg Jan which was at the longest about 7-8 weeks ago and you are now on 2.5mg.  My personal opinion would be to increase by a small amount.  I'm still thinking going to 3mg.  I realise that adding an additional 0.5mg may seem insignificant, but these drugs are strong.  That 0.5mg may just be enough to help things improve.

Have you seen this topic?  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves.  It might help you to understand how such a small amount can make a bigger impact than what we realise.

Also, I noticed in your signature that you have written "debilitating side effects".  I would like to suggest that you can it to withdrawal symptoms because side effects are when you are taking the "full" dose of a drug, whereas withdrawal is when going off the drug.

Thank you again, Chessie, so much. 

It will take a couple days for the liquid version to come in (which I will need if i updose by .5mg) so I can see how things pan out over the next couple days.

I hear what you are saying about the timing and the Omega 3s...I just find it way too great of a coincidence that the symptoms worsened when I took it and subsided when I stopped. Here's an article that really affirmed the idea for me.

Also appreciate the advice on evaluating symptoms - certainly days ago I would have updosed but feeling today like it's tolerable, albeit quite unpleasant, so there's something to be said about giving it time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kate, 

Welcome to SA-- I'm so glad you found us! I've answered a few of your questions over on my thread, but I'm also bookmarking this thread to read when I get a chance. 

Hang in there. <3 

Have you seen this yet? I've found it to be a very useful way to log symptoms. It's also extremely eye-opening about how many things he lists can be attributable to SSRI withdrawal: http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf

(You may also want to check out jlynn's thread. She, like us, has been on Paxil for about 20 years.)

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, I just read part of your first post where your ​doctor said to go from 25 to 12.5…. I am so glad I'm heading off to an exercise class to work off some tension right now because I just cannot! ! ! I just cannot with these damn people telling people to decrease an SSRI by 50% after taking it for 20 years! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Okay, I just read part of your first post where your ​doctor said to go from 25 to 12.5…. I am so glad I'm heading off to an exercise class to work off some tension right now because I just cannot! ! ! I just cannot with these damn people telling people to decrease an SSRI by 50% after taking it for 20 years! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 

I KNOW! In her defense, it was because that was the next quantity the CR version came in, so to me it made sense. I obviously know better now. 

It was a tough few weeks (I think 7-8ish in the end) with many windows and valleys, but it was mostly manageable (and gave me some mild/moderate symptoms to practice different non-drug techniques on). 

Hi Kate, 

Welcome to SA-- I'm so glad you found us! I've answered a few of your questions over on my thread, but I'm also bookmarking this thread to read when I get a chance. 

Hang in there. <3 

Have you seen this yet? I've found it to be a very useful way to log symptoms. It's also extremely eye-opening about how many things he lists can be attributable to SSRI withdrawal: http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf

(You may also want to check out jlynn's thread. She, like us, has been on Paxil for about 20 years.)

Yes, thank heavens I found that on Friday and printed them all out before the weekend of fish oil aversion hell. It allowed me to track each day when I couldn't even think straight. I've made myself a nice little booklet of them and will continue to do so every day until the symptoms are clear and free!

All the best

I can't stop thinking about this post, and wishing I had the answer. To me, it sounds like it's making you worse...

What has everyone else on this board said? 

I have not received any advice as of yet.  I am journaling my symptoms at the request of a mod for a few days and will update my thread at week end.  Today I had a better day at times.  But I am still obsessed and I read something that said people can get permanently damaged by long term SSRI use and never recover from protracted withdrawal even when tapered properly.  SO I had an anxiety attack. I am into my third week of updosing and I still have not stabilized.  Minor improvement.