If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Severe Neuropathy anyone?

neuropathy nerve pain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anongrl5590

anongrl5590

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Has anyone had neuropathy type symptoms? Mine are pretty severe: skin tingling, skin burning, limbs feel 'electrified', mouth and throat tingling, pulsating muscles, buzzing all over body, burning hands, numbing sensations... it makes me want to just rip my skin off! 

Is it normal to have this as part of WD? I feel like these symptoms are the WORST and have been ongoing since I CT'd. It makes me feel suicidal but of course I would never want to commit such a thing. 

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

#2 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

If you use a search engine and type in survivingantidepressants.org and the topic you are seeking you can find existing topics.  For example, try searching using any of these single terms:  burning; neuropathy; tingling; numb.

Reminder to self:      P A T I E N C E       I want to go faster    but I won't

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 24mg (from 19 May 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#3 Squeak

Squeak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

Hello,
I am interested to find out about your nerve pain and when it started for you. I was on Prozac (generic) for three years before I self-tapered pretty quickly and then used acupuncture and Chinese medicine as coping for withdrawal and depression at the time. However, I developed awful foot pain that was eventually diagnosed as nerve pain, and I am now taking gabapentin for it (which works up to a point). I don't really want to be on this medicine but prior to taking it, I was in absolute agony with burning pain on the bottom of my feet. I was practically bedridden and would be in tears over the predicament and the severe pain.

I suspected that my benzo use was involved because those would ease the pain a little. But the timing was aligned with my w/d from Prozac (3-4 mos out) so I don't know what to think exactly.

I am trying (cool, never hot) epsom salt soaks occasionally but results are still uncertain. A few months ago I got some relief from B12 injections, and I might try that again. Thought I could make some dietary changes to get more b12 but that's been difficult. I'm now considering the Wohls diet for inflammatory conditions.

Please keep us posted.
2001: prescribed Klonopin for anxiety related to IBS/weight loss
2007-2010: 3-4 different antidepressants for very short periods
2012: Diagnosed major depression: settled on Prozac 40 mg
2012: daily use of Klonopin 0.5 mg 2014: switched to Ativan 0.5 mg
2014-15: tapered down Prozac and Ativan, not successful withdrawing Ativan
2015: off Prozac, used Chinese herbs and acupuncture
2016: diagnosed major depression for second time, put back on Prozac 40 mg also various small attempts with Wellbutrin, trazodone, Rexulti, mirtazepine, but resistant to adding to my mixture
2016: Gabapentin 1800 mg for severe nerve pain in feet (believe related to meds) (B12 injections also helped)
Low mood, low energy, no motivation.Frequent anxiety between doses of Ativan. Diagnosed adrenal fatigue, supplements.
2017: 40 mg fluoxetine // 1.5 mg lorazepam // 1800 mg gabapentin // adrenal and vitamin supplements
Mar 2017: continuing 40 mg fluoxetine // 1.33 mg lorazepam // 1800 mg gabapentin // only fish oil supplementation
http://survivinganti...apentin-enough/

#4 Mimi11

Mimi11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

I'm having all kinds of neuropathy too. It started about over a month ago...month 16 of WD and seems to be worse since having an acupuncture treatment around that time. I have numbness, burning and tightness all over my body! It moves around...feet, hands, legs, arms, torso, face, back...It's been over a month and is becoming unbearable. Can anyone offer some hope? Anyone else have these symptoms appear this late in WD? Please help.

Celexa 10 mg (5years), 5mg (10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb. 10 months drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. 

#5 anongrl5590

anongrl5590

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

Hello,
I am interested to find out about your nerve pain and when it started for you. I was on Prozac (generic) for three years before I self-tapered pretty quickly and then used acupuncture and Chinese medicine as coping for withdrawal and depression at the time. However, I developed awful foot pain that was eventually diagnosed as nerve pain, and I am now taking gabapentin for it (which works up to a point). I don't really want to be on this medicine but prior to taking it, I was in absolute agony with burning pain on the bottom of my feet. I was practically bedridden and would be in tears over the predicament and the severe pain.

I suspected that my benzo use was involved because those would ease the pain a little. But the timing was aligned with my w/d from Prozac (3-4 mos out) so I don't know what to think exactly.

I am trying (cool, never hot) epsom salt soaks occasionally but results are still uncertain. A few months ago I got some relief from B12 injections, and I might try that again. Thought I could make some dietary changes to get more b12 but that's been difficult. I'm now considering the Wohls diet for inflammatory conditions.

Please keep us posted.

Hi Squeak,

My nerve pain is still present but as of this past few days, it is lessening a tiiiiiiny bit. Still getting the tingling, burning hands and skin, and severe 'electrified' limbs (this one isn't painful but EXTREMELY uncomfortable). The teeth pain has gone down thankfully but it comes and goes still. I don't want to take any psych meds or any meds that act on serotonin or GABA receptors to help because I am way too scared of potential side effects and more withdrawals. I am also bedridden when these nerve sensations become too intense to handle. I also just tried epsom salts in a hot bath and dunno if it really helped... didn't really feel a change. But I will probably try again. This person on the Benzo Buddies forum details her diet that helped resolve her chronic inflammation and muscle pain. You may want to check it out here: http://www.benzobudd...p?topic=44666.0

I'm having all kinds of neuropathy too. It started about over a month ago...month 16 of WD and seems to be worse since having an acupuncture treatment around that time. I have numbness, burning and tightness all over my body! It moves around...feet, hands, legs, arms, torso, face, back...It's been over a month and is becoming unbearable. Can anyone offer some hope? Anyone else have these symptoms appear this late in WD? Please help.

Hi Mimi,

I'm sorry you're getting these symptoms later in WD. I hate that this process is non-linear...it doesn't make sense to me at all! It's so horrifying. Seems like acupuncture can really help or set you back. I have the same symptoms as you but they come and go. 

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

#6 Squeak

Squeak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

I'm really wondering about the connection between Prozac and nerve pain. The posts I've seen about nerve pain seem to be about 3/4 Prozac or fluoxetine users. This helps me feel more strongly that my discontinuation of fluoxetine 1 1/2 years ago is what started the symptom, rather than the use of benzos. At least I have a bit of understanding, although it is still very disappointing that I have the foot pain despite being back on fluoxetine for a year now. I hope when I taper again, it won't get worse.
2001: prescribed Klonopin for anxiety related to IBS/weight loss
2007-2010: 3-4 different antidepressants for very short periods
2012: Diagnosed major depression: settled on Prozac 40 mg
2012: daily use of Klonopin 0.5 mg 2014: switched to Ativan 0.5 mg
2014-15: tapered down Prozac and Ativan, not successful withdrawing Ativan
2015: off Prozac, used Chinese herbs and acupuncture
2016: diagnosed major depression for second time, put back on Prozac 40 mg also various small attempts with Wellbutrin, trazodone, Rexulti, mirtazepine, but resistant to adding to my mixture
2016: Gabapentin 1800 mg for severe nerve pain in feet (believe related to meds) (B12 injections also helped)
Low mood, low energy, no motivation.Frequent anxiety between doses of Ativan. Diagnosed adrenal fatigue, supplements.
2017: 40 mg fluoxetine // 1.5 mg lorazepam // 1800 mg gabapentin // adrenal and vitamin supplements
Mar 2017: continuing 40 mg fluoxetine // 1.33 mg lorazepam // 1800 mg gabapentin // only fish oil supplementation
http://survivinganti...apentin-enough/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neuropathy, nerve pain