SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

waves12: 8 months after cold turkey and can barely cope

waves12

Hello everyone.

I had been on this forum many times before reading all the posts, usually in the dead of night when feeling so desperate and alone with insomnia but did not sign up until now as hoping I would be feeling a bit better by now. I don't. I came off Duloxetine/Cymbalta, 60mg,in June 2016 cold turkey, probably a huge mistake to do it this way but I had been in touch with my doctor and he suggested to change antidepressant to Citalopram 20mg which I tried for a week and felt strange so ended up ditching both.  I went through a terrible time of adjustment for the first 100 days but then seemed to manage slightly better, although it was tough I had hope for a while apart from the no sleep. After another few weeks all kinds of symptoms came at me like an express train and these now remain. I feel generally unwell all the time, depressed, no interest, no zest for life and just not functioning very well.  I do have Citalopram tablets, 20mg, here in the house and feel tempted to take them but unsure of what to do. I also have Diazepam which I have taken on and off for 8/9 years 2mg. The Diazepam does not help me sleep at all but does calm me down a little but I feel it is not helpful to my withdrawal off the anti depressents and may be making symptoms worse.

Would like to ask advice as to whether or not to reinstate antidepressents for a while as struggling so badly with suicidal thoughts and of little hope in recovering. 8 months of feeling so ill everyday is such hard work and is like living less than half a life. All hope I had in feeling better has gone, I cant believe I can feel this bad and still continue to try and get on with the days activities. I keep thinking that I should be in a hospital being looked after but of course any doctor would just dose me up, seems appealing today.

Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Various antipressants from 1991 to 2016, Sertraline and many switches over the years.

Last AD's taken:

Citalopram for two weeks only May 2016  to June 2016, last AD taken and CT'd.

2012 to May 2016 Duloxitine 60mg. Doctor switched to Citalopram 20mg May 2016.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome waves12,

I'm glad you decided to join and write an introduction post. I'm so sorry you're going through this, but unfortunately your experience is not uncommon. Recovery from these kinds of drugs, especially after stopping too fast can often take quite a while, longer than one would expect.

Your experience of feeling a little better, and then much worse is also quite normal and is called:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

After 7 months, we generally wouldn't recommend reinstating the drug because there is no guarantee it would help, and it often makes symptoms worse. I tried going back on medication after suffering with symptoms for over a year and regretted it. I became much worse and it set my recovery back.

But it is an option and does work for some people. Here is our reinstatement topic, which explains how, you start with a very small amount:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

I think you may be right in suspecting that taking Diazepam is not helping, and yes, its probably making things worse, due to the destabilizing effect of taking it on an irregular basis.  I also tried using a benzo (xanax) to manage symptoms. But I quickly became dependent on it, causing worse symptoms in between doses. It was before I found this site and didn't realize my symptoms were being caused by a drug I stopped taking 6 months earlier.

If you have been taking Diazepam more than 1 - 2 times a week, you may already be dependent on it and will need to taper. For more information and help with this, please see our

Members-only benzo forum

And here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello Petunia

Thank you so much for replying to my post, I have been reading all the information on and off all day. As I thought reinstatement does not seem a good idea and I don't feel I want to risk it or undo the good work to date, although finding it hard to put the word 'good' against any part of my recovery so far. I will continue to read the posts and information on here and thank God for this website and all who post their experiences on here.

Sometimes I think 'if only I could sleep I am sure I would manage a bit better' the insomnia seems to effect many in AD withdrawal for a long time.  I have been sleeping for only two hours per night the last 8 months and it is torture night after night and really does drive me nuts. I have had about 5 nights since June 2016 where I slept for 6 hours and when this happened I really thought each time that the insomnia was ending, not so.

Looking forward to joining the posts with updates as and when new developments occur.

Various antipressants from 1991 to 2016, Sertraline and many switches over the years.

Last AD's taken:

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with you waves, not being able to get a refreshing nights sleep makes this all so much harder to deal with. My experience has been that sleep improves over time, also in a windows and waves kind of pattern. I went from not being able to sleep at all to where I am now with my sleep being completely back to normal.

My last sleep issue to recover was the ability to nap during the day.

There's really nothing which speeds up the recovery process, but many things we can do to minimize symptoms or help us deal with them better. Here is a topic with some sleep related ideas:

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Your benzodiazepine could be causing all of these symptoms in itself, irregularly as you are taking it. Sleep patterns can't really normalise while benzos are in the picture. Their depressive side effects are also very underreported and underrated. I would focus on the side effects of your diazepam rather than adding citalopram to the problem. 

I experienced similar problems while using alprazolam, with random, severe bouts of depression. It took me years to figure out that it was the alprazolam and not my "condition" or citalopram dose. This was while I was stable on 10mg of citalopram, before I attempted tapering. Coming off alprazolam was rough (I also used it irregularly) and not without incident. It took a few months to settle down, and sleeping was my biggest issue. 

Bottom line is it's impossible to assess your mental and emotional wellbeing without adequate sleep, and it's impossible to maintain any natural sleep rhythm with a benzodiazepine in the picture. 

2004-2004: 60mg fluoxetine - incredibly destabilising, stopped
2004-2011: 20mg citalopram - initial anxiety, thereafter stable
2011-2016: 10mg citalopram - reduced dose
Sept 2016: 5mg citalopram

Dec 2016: 2.5mg citalopram

Jan 2017: 2mg citalopram

Feb 2017: 1mg citalopram

Mar 2017: ceased citalopram; monitoring symptoms 

Apr 2017 - Present (2021): drug free

Note (Sept 2016): Been on citalopram for 13 years; 28 years old; unplanned pregnancy - intend to taper citalopram to 0 prior to due date (April 2017)

Currently: Been off citalopram for 4 years

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Syzygyea

Thank you for your post. Didn't know it was there until I went through the list. I am down to 1mg of valium now which I last took on Thursday last week and now hoping it will be the end. My sleep is just awful and no let up. Its as if my brain has lost the part which allows sleep.  I do all the right things, meditation, yoga and good diet but to no avail.  As you say the benzo needs to be completely gone and am hoping now that I will manage without it. Finding life so difficult right now and brain fog is so bad and have no interest in anything or anybody. Thank you again for your post and hope you are doing well.

Last AD's taken:

Hi waves 12 I can fully relate to your problem , I have had no sleep for 8 weeks now , I have been withdrawn from all my medication by the hospital , I feel ill all the while and have no interest in anything or anybody , I just am in survival mode , the sweating and the shaking that is with me all through the night and into the day is torturous, I have been of venalaxafine for over 2 years and that's what caused my protracted withdrawel , I keep thinking even now about a small dose to see if it allieviates anything , which is because we are desperate. I am currently in a hospital and like you say all the doctors want to do is dose you up on as many drugs as possible , I wish I new the answer for both of us, I hate feeling like this , it's no life , if we could get some sleep I'm sure we would feel better , I have been suffering for 3 years now without windows , have you tried the supplements recommended on here , unfortunately none seem to work for me , but they may help you

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Hi Terry 4949

Lovely to hear from you and thank you.  I am sorry to hear you are in the hospital feeling so bad, I hope you will fit enough soon to leave there. I had felt so many times that I should be in a hospital being cared for as living on my own seemed such hard work, but there again I could not have coped having someone in the house whilst going through this, cant win eh!  I had the terrible sweats for months and months and racing heart that I thought I was going to pass out, the sweats did pass over for a while but are back for some time now.  It is all so frightening and I find I worry and stress more during the dead of the night. I spend a lot of time in my living room during the night fretting about my lack of sleep, I try to go back to bed and always hope that I may just get some sleep for relief from myself. I really find the not sleeping very debilitating and find it difficult to make plans as so exhausted all the time and the thought of driving any distance is such a challenge but I do drive to see my son and family who live about an hour away, if I didn't go and see him I would struggle to see any family at all, even though he doesn't understand any of this I go anyway. After the drive home I am completely wasted for two full days and often wonder if it is worth it, it is as he has two little boys and they bring me joy, not much else does at the moment. I had thought of going back on AD's many times but I know this is not the answer and also have read that people have felt even worse when going back on, so I decided I couldn't feel any worse than I do and certainly don't fancy risking feeling worse. I do take fish oils and vitamin D but not sure if they help, again have also read that supplements can cause problems. What to do is so hard, trial and error.

I really hope you will be ok and look forward to any updates that you can do on here. This site is great for us. Sending you healing wishes.

Last AD's taken:

Just because this site is for helping people coming of their antidepressants who wish to do so , it doesn't mean you have to struggle may be you could go and see your doctor and ask for a small amount of something even duloxetine to help you get stabilised , then try a really slow taper , I would think the benzo is causing a lot of the trouble, when you came of the duloxetine did you feel ok wilst on it , that was a massive amount to c/t from and would have put your whole body into shock , sometimes you have to go back wards to move forwards , many people I have read on here have gone back on and stabilised and then withdrawn very slowly , if you look at my history you can see what hell I have been through. if the med made you feel better when you first went on it doesn't mean it won't again , then do things more slowly , nobody should have to suffer , you need your doctor to do more , and help you with the benzo withdrawel

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Hi waves

Do you think it is possible to put up  drug signature it makes it so easy to see a persons situation providing an immediate window on your position and is easier than having to read back through posts to get a handle on whats happened.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

As requested please Create Your Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. Phone Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature. Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 5 weeks later...

An update as not posted for a while.

I am still not sleeping, two hours per night, for the last almost 10 months now. I CT off in June 2016. The insomnia is driving me crazy and the depression that goes with it. I have barley had on single day of feeling better at all.  So much so that yesterday I took 5mg of citalopram in the hopes of relieving withdrawal symptoms. At 10 months off I don't think this has been a wise move.  Today I feel terrible with zombie like feelings and didn't sleep at all.

I guess I am being impatient and just felt that at 10 months nothing has changed and I cant go on like this.

My friends and family are all stepping back from me as they are sick of hearing about how I cant sleep.  This is a nightmare that I want to be over.

I have read so much on here and it seems that the journey is long and relentless. I felt so down yesterday that I didn't want to live.

I don't know what to do now as I have taken that one tablet. Have I ruined everything? Is it ok to not take another one?

Any help please, I am so broken right now.

Last AD's taken:

An update as not posted for a while.

I am still not sleeping, two hours per night, for the last almost 10 months now. I CT off in June 2016. The insomnia is driving me crazy and the depression that goes with it. I have barley had on single day of feeling better at all. So much so that yesterday I took 5mg of citalopram in the hopes of relieving withdrawal symptoms. At 10 months off I don't think this has been a wise move. Today I feel terrible with zombie like feelings and didn't sleep at all.

I guess I am being impatient and just felt that at 10 months nothing has changed and I cant go on like this.

My friends and family are all stepping back from me as they are sick of hearing about how I cant sleep. This is a nightmare that I want to be over.

I have read so much on here and it seems that the journey is long and relentless. I felt so down yesterday that I didn't want to live.

I don't know what to do now as I have taken that one tablet. Have I ruined everything? Is it ok to not take another one?

Any help please, I am so broken right now.

I took one tablet this week aswell and I'm 10mths off and fed up with this withdrawal, I was really unwell for 5 days but I'm starting to feel a bit better again. I'm hoping it hasn't set me back. Hope you will be ok and try and keep strong. These drugs are truely awful.

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

Can you try and do something you enjoy and that can relax you? I gonto acupuncture and have massage and feel that helps but everyone is different. I had good few weeks for a while and then suddenly symptoms that I have had since Feb are back with evengance and I think it because I had a lot of stress recently. Wishing you hope and peace.

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

Hi Bluebird

Have you stayed on your AD since taking it? Are you staying reinstated for a while? I have not taken a second dose as yet, last one was yesterday just coming up 24 hours ago.

Thank you for your post.

Last AD's taken:

Hi Waves,

I just wanted to stop by and see how you are doing. I cold turkeyed Wellbutrin June 1, 2016 so I'm about the same place you are in time. This past month I did end up with a window. I hope that you are able to find some. I have seen that some people will have a very slow recovery without windows but if they look at their symptoms over time they will see that they have improved, even if it is just a little. I know it's not much consolation when you are feeling so awful. 

What did you decide to do with your medication?

Thinking of you and hoping you are finding some peace.

Hugs and healing

T

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

Hello tntd

Thank you for posting to me.

I did take 2.5mg for two further days but am now regretting it as feel damped down again which is the exact thing I came off for.  I feel annoyed at myself but was suffering so badly with the withdrawals, depression and no sleep.

As you say if you look back over time things were starting to get better but obviously not enough for me to make a bad choice. I got impatient and above all scared of how I was feeling. The insomnia was just terrible and I could barley function and was staying home all the time so that people didn't have to see me or put up with my low moods. My two grown up sons have little empathy and seem fed up with me so I think I thought that if I reinstated a little bit I would be upbeat to be around.

The thing with that is though I am trying to please them in a way and that is not a solution. I live on my own, work from home on my own so really isolated, not good for me but don't want to put on others how I really am.

I had noticed I was doing a bit more and really pushing myself to keep busy, since reinstatement I have been slobbing around again. Hmmm its tough.

Bottom line is I want to be well and I want to be now!  10 gruelling months of hell were taking their toll on me and I caved in.

The biggest concern is that even if I stay reinstated for a few months it seems that once down to zero the hell will start again although I don't know that for sure its a frightening prospect.

How are you today?

W xxx

Last AD's taken:

Can you try and do something you enjoy and that can relax you? I gonto acupuncture and have massage and feel that helps but everyone is different. I had good few weeks for a while and then suddenly symptoms that I have had since Feb are back with evengance and I think it because I had a lot of stress recently. Wishing you hope and peace.

Hi waves12 no I didn't stay on the medication as it made me very unwell, I am only starting to recover fully again now after the reaction. Awful drugs and I can't tolerate so I have no choice but to try and get over this without medication. How are you keeping?

Hi W,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My husband took a week off for his birthday and so I haven't really been on the computer. 

I'm sorry to hear that things are so rough for you. I always said the drugs turned me into a zombie. Other than that they really didn't do anything for me. Except Wellbutrin which gave me lots of energy, along with akathisia.  

I have heard that some people if they taper off slowly don't have bad symptoms afterwards and some still do. It's frustrating not knowing which one you will be. I have no idea how a CT and then a really late reinstatement would affect that either. This is a really hard thing to go through, especially if you CT. Have you managed to stay off the medications now and if so how are you feeling. Do you feel like it helped you at all to do a small reinstatement for a short time? 

I know I struggle with how to deal with this too. I think we all want a quick cure. We didn't sign up for this and there are no guidelines of how to deal with it other than the wonderful pages and pages that have been put together for us here. One day at a time, sometimes one moment at a time. 

I like something Shep said to me: 

"I've written about the concept of Battle Fatigue on other people's thread and I fear you may be reaching this phase. It's like you were given a 10 pound weight to carry when you first started your taper. Back then, it might have been no problem to carry that 10 pound weight around with you.

But as the months drag on, that 10 pound weight begins to feel like it weighs 100 pounds. But nothing has changed - it still only weighs 10 pounds. But in the context of how much energy you've already used up, the weight feels magnified. Same thing with symptoms - they feel magnified".

Unfortunately in a Ct we can't hold our taper we just have to keep going and know that at some point things will improve. We know it because we have seen it happen for other people. 

I wish I could remember where I read it but I know there is someone else who didn't get any windows they just very slowly got better and it was hard to see except when they looked back at their symptoms. 

I was doing ok for awhile but I'm back into the thick of the symptoms. It was the first break I had in about six months so I feel a little regenerated. I still have to taper off of a benzo and I was trying to do that but because of the CT it just kept getting harder and harder and the sxs kept getting worse and worse. My pdoc told me to hold for a few months. Maybe that will help me be able to taper off of the benzo. 

I hope that you are doing ok. We're here with you.

Hugs and healing energy to you. 

T

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi waves12 no I didn't stay on the medication as it made me very unwell, I am only starting to recover fully again now after the reaction. Awful drugs and I can't tolerate so I have no choice but to try and get over this without medication. How are you keeping?

Hi Bluebird, I had not been on here for a while, I wish I could say it was because I am well but it isn't the reason.

I am not on any meds, tried a couple of days of reinstatement but felt awful, didn't think it was possible to feel worse than I already I did.

I am feeling so bad everyday and just don't know what to do anymore, I feel scared that I am never going to get better.

How are you getting on now?

Last AD's taken:

Hi W,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My husband took a week off for his birthday and so I haven't really been on the computer. 

I'm sorry to hear that things are so rough for you. I always said the drugs turned me into a zombie. Other than that they really didn't do anything for me. Except Wellbutrin which gave me lots of energy, along with akathisia.  

I have heard that some people if they taper off slowly don't have bad symptoms afterwards and some still do. It's frustrating not knowing which one you will be. I have no idea how a CT and then a really late reinstatement would affect that either. This is a really hard thing to go through, especially if you CT. Have you managed to stay off the medications now and if so how are you feeling. Do you feel like it helped you at all to do a small reinstatement for a short time? 

I know I struggle with how to deal with this too. I think we all want a quick cure. We didn't sign up for this and there are no guidelines of how to deal with it other than the wonderful pages and pages that have been put together for us here. One day at a time, sometimes one moment at a time. 

I like something Shep said to me: 

"I've written about the concept of Battle Fatigue on other people's thread and I fear you may be reaching this phase. It's like you were given a 10 pound weight to carry when you first started your taper. Back then, it might have been no problem to carry that 10 pound weight around with you.

But as the months drag on, that 10 pound weight begins to feel like it weighs 100 pounds. But nothing has changed - it still only weighs 10 pounds. But in the context of how much energy you've already used up, the weight feels magnified. Same thing with symptoms - they feel magnified".

Unfortunately in a Ct we can't hold our taper we just have to keep going and know that at some point things will improve. We know it because we have seen it happen for other people. 

I wish I could remember where I read it but I know there is someone else who didn't get any windows they just very slowly got better and it was hard to see except when they looked back at their symptoms. 

I was doing ok for awhile but I'm back into the thick of the symptoms. It was the first break I had in about six months so I feel a little regenerated. I still have to taper off of a benzo and I was trying to do that but because of the CT it just kept getting harder and harder and the sxs kept getting worse and worse. My pdoc told me to hold for a few months. Maybe that will help me be able to taper off of the benzo. 

I hope that you are doing ok. We're here with you.

Hugs and healing energy to you. 

T

Hello T

Thank you for your post. Sorry not replied until now.

I stayed off the meds after the few days instatement. Still feeling really bad with no windows. My sleep is terrible, I like what you quoted from Sheps post about the carrying the heavy loads.

I feel so alone with this even though there are hundreds of people on here going through this.

I keep asking myself if I am ever going to be better, over 10 months of hell everyday.

How are you doing?

Last AD's taken:

I have now reinstated to 2mg of citalopram, this is the 2nd day.  When I took the first dose yesterday after just 4 hours it was like a bubble burst with relief in my head and the brain fog lifted at the same time.

Of course I am disappointed for having to go backwards but I couldn't live like this anymore.  10 months of constant brain fog with only one window back in March, 8 months after the cold turkey plus not one night of sleep during this 10 months, well 2 hours only per night, starting to go insane.

I am quite shocked how quickly this 2mg took affect and wonder if any healing had taken place at all?

Also now wondering if any healing had taken place, is all that undone?

The plan is to stabilize now on 2mg for 4 weeks and see how I am then. 

I am hoping that I may brighten up a bit in day or so plus the possibility of some extra sleep would be welcomed.

My worry is that I will still have to go through terrible withdrawals again but hoping it wont be so severe, that's what I hope for anyway.

A brief answer to my few questions would be appreciated by one of the mods or anyone that can help me please.

I am sweating like crazy the last few hours this is due to the evil drug getting in my system I am sure.

I just could not carry on with the symptoms any longer but I also note from others that even after a very slow taper they still seem to go through a lot of the same intensity of withdrawal after some time of being on zero.

I am not fit for another episode of withdrawal in the near future.

Hoping this reinstatement will balance me out a bit.

Last AD's taken:

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear that you've experienced relief with 2 days of reinstating. A hold at 2 mg citalopram for 4 weeks sounds like an excellent plan to me. 

I hope you can let go of worrying about future events. For now, enjoy the freedom from brain fog!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hey there,

So glad to hear that a small reinstatement helped. You were completely off for ten months right? How much were you taking when you CT'd?  I'm so excited that you are feeling some relief. 

I think my brain is starting to do a bit better after my CT. I'm eleven months post CT now and with the hold on the benzo taper am starting to have a few windows here and there. Thank you for asking. 

I hope that you continue to feel better.

Hugs and healing,

T

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

So glad to hear that a small reinstatement helped. You were completely off for ten months right? How much were you taking when you CT'd?  I'm so excited that you are feeling some relief. 

I think my brain is starting to do a bit better after my CT. I'm eleven months post CT now and with the hold on the benzo taper am starting to have a few windows here and there. Thank you for asking. 

I hope that you continue to feel better.

Hugs and healing,

T

Hi T

I only did the reinstatement for a couple of days, I had to stop as felt so rough after the 2nd dose. I had 4 good days this week and thought it may be all over but of course it was a window and a great window at that, but it didn't last and not so great again today.  But the main thing is that I can feel ok and I really did need that experience even though short lived.

Apart from two failed reinstatements at a very low dose I am now off CT for 11 months.  I had CT from 60mg duloxetine to 30mg citalopram for two weeks first and then nothing so really it was a CT from 60mg I guess.

What a long road this is.

Hope you are doing ok. :)

Last AD's taken:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Waves,

I've been doing pretty well. This month has been pretty good to me. My waves haven't been as deep and I've been able to get out in the late afternoon or evenings on several occasions. Yesterday I woke up to a full blown window :D Today has been pretty good so far but I'm home alone without a vehicle so I can't go anywhere even though I feel pretty good. I suppose that's ok because my hubby and I were gone pretty much all day yesterday so I should probably cool it today to try to prolong this window. '

It's interesting how it always feels like, wow, I'm all better when in a window. It's nice to know that we are healing though and that one day, hopefully soon we will be all better and instead of a window it will just be life! 

I hope you continue to get windows and that they last longer and longer. 

I'll be one year CT on June 1st. Happy Anniversary???  Sounds like we are close in our timelines. 

Healing hugs,

T

Hello T

How are you doing now?  Are you still feeling quite well?

Your whole year has now passed, mine is the 16th June 2016.

I had a bad week just gone by and felt so rough again, such a shock when it hits, should be prepared by now but never want it to come back.

This is all so difficult and so prolonged but like everyone I must be patient.

A lot of symptoms returned this last week which I didn't expect, nauseous, brain fog and the depression was so difficult to deal with and still is today.

I hope you will continue on the good road that are on.

xx

Last AD's taken:

• 1 month later...

Not posted for a couple of months, have been on the forum lots though. Am just trying to heal quietly but that's not working.

After trying reinstatement at beginning of May on 2 mg citalopram, which failed as felt so awful on it with even more symptoms on top of the CT symptoms, which don't seem to let up, I have tried once again to reinstate at just 0.5 mg 5 days ago. The definition of madness for sure.

By day 2 felt terrible again and felt like I had disconnected from my body, even with this low dose, so had to stop after 4 days as couldn't cope with the feelings.

Now the drug is leaving my system again, last dose was Monday, first dose Sunday, I started to feel more relief from all symptoms this evening which is strange as the poison is now on the way out I would imagine.

I did experience this the last time I tried a reinstatement, felt terrible, then relief as drug started to leave body.

Would like to ask if anyone has an idea as to why the relief from all symptoms after stopping the drug? Any one had this or know of any reasons?

I would only guess that the drug is actually alleviating some symptoms but only as it is on the way out.  Very strange and very unsettling.

I have had little relief from my CT since June 2016 and it has been brutal the whole time, apart from 5/6 days only, where I had a window.

After suffering all these months I had enough of it hence the two failed reinstatements, it may be 3 in total, but all ends up the same, feel worse and then when drug starts to leave system I feel relief for a while then wham back to CT withdrawal all over again, hence the definition of madness.

Can anyone shed some light on what may be happening please?

Would love to hear from anyone that may understand this experience.  Would love to hear from anyone about anything too!

Last AD's taken:

Any mods able to answer or advise on my last post please?

Last AD's taken:

• ChessieCat changed the title to waves12: 8 months after Cold Turkey and can barely cope
  • Moderator Emeritus

It takes about 4 days for the drug to reach a steady state in the blood.  It takes longer for it to register in the brain.  It looks like you haven't given the reinstatement long enough to fully register.  We generally suggest that people continue on the reinstated dose for 2 weeks (unless they have a really bad reaction), and keep daily notes of symptoms so that they can see improvements/worsening.

Please create your drug history in your signature so we don't have to read through your posts to find the information.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Chessie Cat

Thank you for reply. Feeing so desperate all the time through this.

Each time I have tried to reinstate with the Citalopram I get relief from brain fog but then I start to sweat, chronic anxiety and start to feel drugged and unwell.

This recent one of 0.50mg I thought would be ok as low dose but felt so rough after the 3rd day. Felt disconnected from my body and not in control.

I have not stayed with it for more than 4 days as felt the start up symptoms were telling me it is not going to work?

I had made liquid from 10mg Citaopram tablet with 10mls of water and mixed this and used 0.50mg as a dose, was this correct measures?

I would like some help please as cant go on like this.

Tried to put this in signature but it kept saying not within guidelines, shortened it many times but to no avail to put here for now.

1993 to 2016 Various antidepressants with only short breaks.

1993-  Started Prothiaden- Tryicyle AD, 75mg

2000- 2016 Was switched to SSRI's Sertaline.

2010-  May 2016 Duloxetine 60mg.

May 2016- Citalopram 20mg.

June 2016- Cold turkey from Duloxetine 60mg.

2017 Found SA.

April 2017 Tried to reinstate citalopram 5mg, felt drugged. Off 2 days later.

May 2017 Tried to reinstate 2.5mg same feelings, 2 or 3 days.

July 2017 Tried to reinstate 0.50mg, 5 days.

Current- feeling so bad with anxiety and hoping for help

Last AD's taken:

Also, can anyone tell me what a bad reaction would be?

Scared to start over on reinstatement without knowing what to be aware of.

Last AD's taken:

• Moderator Emeritus

Information about bad reactions would be the side effects listed in the patient information that you are supposed to receive with your prescription. The Overview and Side Effects pages at this link are from the USA FDA approved patient information: Side Effects of Citalopram.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...
On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, Pil54 said:

Lol you cold turkeyed 20mg citalopram and reinstated 2mg.

How could it work ? You should try to reinstate at your last dosage for it to be effective or you enter in tolerance after a few days.

Seem logical to me 

I felt even worse when I reinstated as it was many many months after the CT, it did not work for me.

I have followed ALL the advice from the mods and staff on here by reading all the information provided to us and I am getting better for sure, they know what they are talking about and don't give suggestions without thought and care. 

I have had to put in a lot of work to get better, sitting around does not cut it, even when I felt like complete 'S'.

It is a long and difficult journey but I would not have survived without the amazing support on here from staff and fellow sufferers, invaluable for sure.

I hope you can find some helpful activities to build mental and emotional strength.

Last AD's taken:

I am so glad that you are getting better!  

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

• 2 weeks later...

Just thinking about you and hoping you're doing ok.

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg