theloneranger86

theloneranger86

dealing with loss of appetite. What do you guys suggest ?

Though I really get what everyone out here says - listen to your body . But Im a little confused on this one. I just dont feel the need to eat at all , should I be eating less ? Is that what the Nervous system wants ? I never had any appetite issues on SSRIs or before. 

Im already a little thin. 64kgs on a 5'11 frame.  Iv lost about 3 kilos already

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Not being flippant, but you could try drinking lassis for calories.

Also, cows milk is good for rehydration and energy. I would suggest chocolate milk if you can get it.

Not sure where a bouts in India you live, but I know the temperature is on the up, which wouldn't help your appetite - so go for liquid nutrition if you can get it.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

If you have an inkling that you need to eat more, (as starting this thread would suggest) then doing so would be listening to you body/instincts.  

If your body is not providing you with clues as to what to eat, try reading through the food threads here and seeing if anything resonates with you.  And if something does, then try it.  For instance, when you read JC's post above (thanks JC!) did you have a positive reaction to the idea of a lassi, or a negative one, or just neutral? 

I know from reading in some other threads lately that w/d can affect appetite.  Some people find they have no appetite clues anymore, and some people feel like eating all the time.  It can be tricky to navigate when this happens. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Not being flippant, but you could try drinking lassis for calories.

Also, cows milk is good for rehydration and energy. I would suggest chocolate milk if you can get it.

Not sure where a bouts in India you live, but I know the temperature is on the up, which wouldn't help your appetite - so go for liquid nutrition if you can get it.

If you have an inkling that you need to eat more, (as starting this thread would suggest) then doing so would be listening to you body/instincts.  

If your body is not providing you with clues as to what to eat, try reading through the food threads here and seeing if anything resonates with you.  And if something does, then try it.  For instance, when you read JC's post above (thanks JC!) did you have a positive reaction to the idea of a lassi, or a negative one, or just neutral? 

I know from reading in some other threads lately that w/d can affect appetite.  Some people find they have no appetite clues anymore, and some people feel like eating all the time.  It can be tricky to navigate when this happens. 

thanks both of you. I did feel like taking a liquid diet earlier , but now I feel like my body is telling me to fast . I did do a water fast last week and since then Iv felt slightly better. I think Im going to continue with a weekly water only fast for a few months to see where this takes me. In the meanwhile, thanks so much for your inputs. Much appreciated. 

• 2 months later...

Should I start running ?

Iv been told by my Neurologist to run for 30 minutes a day. Though my muscles feel sort of weak, I dont know if I should start. 

Its been 2 years since Iv been able to perform any kind of physical activity. Sometimes I feel like taking everything head on and do whatever I cant do . But thats just rage and will get me no where. 

What do you guys suggest. Has running helped you guys ? Can it do harm to my recovery ?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

I think the best way to approach this is to start easy, walk as long as you feel good doing it. Move up to a jog, or half walk half jog. Then try running. Give it time. Starting full speed can cause issues in withdrawal I think. Listen to your body and mind and do what you can handle!

Paxil 20mg started around 2013 dropped to 10 mg at some point dropped to 5mg for 1 week then C/T August 2016.

Buspar 10 mg 2x daily started 2013 fluctuating amounts.

Tried cylexa 1 week at beginning of August 2016.

Tried wellbutrin 1 week after cylexa stopped both.

I have been off all meds for around 4- 5 years.

Take it very easy to start and listen to your body. Overdoing it physically during withdrawal can cause a rebound. Do not let anybody push you into something that your body does not feel right about.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

walk the stairs were ever u can ,walk fast up hill building up a sweat and your heart rate ,ease your way into it .

exercise is better than not .

we have muscles for a reason ,I've cut back myself lately I was fairly fit ,mite of pushed too far ,so it can be a delicate balance .

best of luck .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I Also recommend getting away into the forest or mountains if possible ,this has been a life saver for me ,amazing

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just like others, I also recommend starting slow and working your way up.

I recently started back to doing cardio, having been a long-distance runner before I got sick from these drugs. 

I started at only 5 minutes and than added in 1 minute each time I exercised, usually 3 to 5 times a week. It took about 10 weeks, and then I was up to a full 45 minute workout. 

The beauty of doing it this way is I never had any sore muscles or felt overwhelmed by the experience. When I needed to rest a couple of days, I gave myself permission to do so. That is also important. 

Perhaps start out with a run for 5 minutes and then continue walking for the remaining 25 minutes. The next time, add in one minute, so you're running for 6 minutes and then walk the remaining 24 minutes. Continue adding in one minute each time until you work your way up to your goal of 30 minutes of running. 

This is kind of like "tapering in" exercise. Just like with a drug taper, you're giving your nervous system time to adjust and at the same time, getting into the rhythm of having an exercise routine several times a week. And if you feel this is too much, you can always walk more and run less. Just like with a drug taper, go by your symptoms. 

I like Powerback's idea of "getting away into the forest or mountains if possible".  Nature is always a great prescription for healing. 

• 1 year later...

Folic acid and probiotics helping Big time with IBS

I have had a bunch of problems but folic acid and probiotics are helping with the IBS bit. What do you all think about long term use ? The day I stop using the 2 IBS returns in full swing . Is it advisable to continue using these two supplements ?

Edited by ChessieCat
Spelling mistake/added topic title
  • ChessieCat changed the title to theloneranger86
  • Moderator Emeritus

supplements-what-helps-what-doesnt

probiotics-and-gut-health

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, theloneranger86 said:

Folic acid and probiotics helping Big time with IBS

What dosage of folic acid are you taking? How did you end up taking folic acid, were you found to be deficient in folate?

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

I’m taking 5mg of folic acid. I went to a gastroenterologist who diagnosed me with IBS . He’s the one who suggested me to take folic acid. It sure has an immediate effect , but doesn’t cure anything. The day I stop taking it, the IBS comes back in full swing