If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Tramadol Risks and addiction Oct 2016 - claiming more lives than any other drug including heroin and cocaine -Northern Irelands top pathologist

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

http://www.itv.com/n...any-other-drug/

In a series of special reports, UTV looks at the risks surrounding the prescription painkiller tramadol, as leading experts call for it to be made a Class A drug and one addict - hooked since the age of 14 - tells how it ruined his life.

Prescription painkiller tramadol ‘claiming more lives than any other drug’

Prescription painkiller tramadol, taken by thousands of people every day, is claiming more lives than any other drug – including heroin and cocaine – according to Northern Ireland’s top pathologist.

Last year, 33 deaths in Northern Ireland were linked to tramadol.

Among them were a 16-year-old girl and a pensioner in his 70s.

I don't think that people realise how potentially risky taking tramadol is.

I think it’s because it’s a prescription drug - people assume it’s safe.

– Professor Jack Crane, State Pathologist for NI

The opiate-based drug used to treat moderate or severe pain should only be available on prescription – it was reclassified in 2014 making it an illegal Class C drug without prescription.

But anti-drug campaigners say more and more people are turning to the black market.

Professor Jack Crane has spoken out to say he fears more people will die unless urgent action is taken and he is calling for a crackdown on the illegal market.

He wants tramadol to be upgraded again, this time to Class A.

Professor Crane is now set to meet Northern Ireland's Chief Medical Officer later this month to push for change.

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am)28 Sept 15 (5yrs drug free), cf, cmw, insomnia  horrifying pssd continues, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, cognitively doing heaps better. 28 Sept 16 after 6 yrs start working again on a casual basis.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#2 Shep

Shep

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,310 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the interesting read, NZ.

I'm glad they're trying to restrict this drug, as it is indeed dangerous. But I worry with journalism that reports the problem by these type of comments:

The painkiller doesn’t cause harm if taken correctly, but the danger rises when users mix it with other drugs or alcohol.

This is a clear case of blaming the patient, but it's simply not the case for a drug like Tramadol, which is a combo drug (opioid and antidepressant), and is dangerous all by itself. We actually have a "tips for tapering off" section for this drug, as MammaP did some great research:

Tips for tapering Tramadol

As she writes,  "It is a dreadful drug that has 2 modes of action, a synthetic opioid and anti depressant (SNRI)."

And JanCarol's next post in that thread mentions other problems:

"However, two significant adverse reactions are known to potentially occur with tramadol—seizures and serotonin syndrome. These two adverse reactions may develop during tramadol monotherapy, but appear much more likely to emerge during misuse/overdose as well as with the coadministration of other drugs, particularly antidepressants."

Many doctors don't recognize the symptoms of serotonin syndrome, so this again is another drug that is really too dangerous for 99.9% of doctors to be able to safely use.

So I'm a bit concerned about how the patient is being blamed in this article by saying the problem is because patients aren't taking it correctly. And the video is about the "craving" form of addiction, but as we all know, the antidepressant component of Tramadol deals with "dependency".

So I really hope it does get restricted more. And I hope doctors get an education in antidepressant withdrawal, especially with this type of dangerous pharmacology. I'm quite convinced that the drug companies were well aware of what they were doing when they combined these two drugs and made Tramadol. 

Locked up and forced onto drugs as a teenager - misdiagnosed manic depressive.
Developed dependency and stayed on cocktails of drugs for nearly 30 years.

My Intro: Shep's Journey

Last drug cocktail: Seroquel, Halcion, Klonopin, Sonata, Vibrydd, and Dexetrine

After 30 years of polydrug use, completely med free May 22, 2015.

Remaining symptoms: dp/dr with memory problems and insomnia

I am not a medical professional, and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs. 

#3 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Been busy but wanted to pop in and say thanks for commenting on my post Shep.

About 4 yrs into drug free wdl i fell off the roof trying to clean the moss off.

I ended up in hospital with a broken collar bone and severe bruising on my back. They gave me morphine i think it was. Which i reluctantly took. But i told them i didnt want anything addictive so they said oh ok here have some tramadol. I tried to ph outto ask someone to look this drug up as it was a new one to me and i was still on the learning curve for the myriad of names these drugs hide behind. Stupidly i took one. But that was all after that my gut feeling was to refuse it.

When i got home i discovered it was an snri and i was outraged....i could relate to the MammaP moment. (an unfortunate episode in the dark which some may recall). 

The hospital staff said everyone who comes in takes this and they also take the blood thinner injection which i refused to take. After being given the scare tactics...funny how i am still alive clearly i didnt need the blood thinner afterall.

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am)28 Sept 15 (5yrs drug free), cf, cmw, insomnia  horrifying pssd continues, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, cognitively doing heaps better. 28 Sept 16 after 6 yrs start working again on a casual basis.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11