SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Freedomiscoming: my nightmare

Freedomiscoming

I'm somewhat new here.  Have checked out this site before.  Looking for some insight and thoughts.  I have been in misery for 6 months now.  And long story short, I am now trying to taper Remeron slowly, but can't manage more than 1% at a time because of the excruciating results.....  I think part of my misery is that my cortisol is 25, and many of my symptoms are related to that.  It is a catch 22 because i need off of the drug to heal the adrenals, but I'm in misery trying to get off of it.  And at this rate, it will take me 2 or so years to get off of it.  I'm not sure how I can endure this type of misery for that long.  I am wondering if I held and didn't taper, would the adrenals have any opportunity to heal enough to give me more strength for a taper.  If I weren't so depressed, I think I could also muster the courage and the energy for this fight.  

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks...

Many anti-depressants over the past 18 years. C/T from Zoloft and Wellbutrin (May 2015).  

Was also taking Xanax or Clonazipam a few times a week.  Quit those at the same time.  
8/2016 went from Amitriptyline to Remeron (story behind that).  Tapering Remeron.
"I have loved you with an everlasting love."  Jeremiah 31:3

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Freedom,

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  Hopefully some of our stories will encourage you.  I am another person who needs to taper very slowly.  Currently I can manage 4% each 6 weeks, divided into four smaller reductions.  I would encourage you to hold for a decent length of time as it does help people to stabilise.  Recently I did an 8 month hold, and it really got me into a much better place - less symptoms, more energy, more positive feelings.  Before the hold I was only able to cut by 1% per 6 weeks, and was having much worse symptoms. 

If you can do things in a less painful way, it won't matter so much it the taper takes longer.  I'm looking at 6-8 years. 

Withdrawal vs Adrenal Fatigue

Many people find Fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal.   

Non-Drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

Melt into your own life

Tips for tapering Remeron

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature – all drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately?  Thanks.

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Okay on putting a signature... I'll work on that......

So, it's not good to take anything for the adrenals.... like ashwaganda?  How bout L-theanine?  What about Seriphos?

Many anti-depressants over the past 18 years. C/T from Zoloft and Wellbutrin (May 2015).  

Was also taking Xanax or Clonazipam a few times a week.  Quit those at the same time.  
8/2016 went from Amitriptyline to Remeron (story behind that).  Tapering Remeron.

Also, what would it look like to try Sam-E???

Thanks.

And Karen, I agree.....  if I can do this less painful, and have a life, that's what I want no matter how long it takes to get off............  I just wish I could be assured I could do that...........  but, at this point, the withdrawals are so excruciating.....  I'm miserable on this drug and miserable off of it...

Thanks

Hi Freedom.  The best course of action right now would probably be to HOLD for a good period of time , as has been previously mentioned. As most of us in withdrawal have sensitized nervous systems it is better to let them settle naturally without the added stimulation and / or upset that can accompany adding in extra supplements to the mix.

Apart from anything else if you have a reaction or increased symptoms you won't be able to ascertain whether it's w/d or the particular supplement in question.

We recommend fish oil and magnesium. Start with one at a low dose and see how you tolerate it first. There are those who have even reacted to fish oil so it pays to be careful. I found magnesium to be extremely beneficial in w/d as it calms the system and seems to help dial down symptoms.

Some have tried supplementing with those that you mentioned ( as well as others) with mixed results.  There can be certain improvements at various stages but usually it's further down the track and also when stability is reached.

I would concentrate on non- drug techniques to help you through this period of time.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

There are threads in Symptoms & Self Care relating to those various supplements if you want to read up on them.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you......

Does anyone know anything about essential oils????  

• Moderator Emeritus

To search the site I use google.  In this instance I typed in survivingantidepressants.org essential oils.

aromatherapy-and-essential-oils

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you!  By the way, congratulations on your progress of tapering........  you have truly come a long ways!

Just talked to my dr. and she wants me eating a LOT of spices. I told her most interact with Remeron, but she won't hear of it.  She is determined that i need to work on inflammation in my body in order for me to be able to taper this drug effectively.......

Any words of encouragement??

Thanks....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

It's important to retain your control over your own body and taper.  Which spices is she suggesting?  If you decide you do want to try them, (the ones that don't interact with Remeron) start with one at a time and in small amounts.  

You could also read of people's experiences with curcumin and turmeric - some are good, some not.   

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I was told that Turmeric interacts with Remeron big time and to avoid it. 

• 3 months later...

I am attempting to taper Remeron, and can't seem to taper more than a percent every few weeks.  I am very debilitated and have been for almost a year now.  Someone mentioned today maybe considering Gabapentin to help with the taper and then to taper that???  What are the thoughts on that?  My gut says "no", but on the other hand, if it would make it easier for me, I might be willing to consider it.  I struggle with a LOT of depression, anxiety (cortisol levels are through the roof), burning skin, nerve pain, insomnia, and a few other uncomfortable things....  would appreciate any advice you could give.  Thanks.  

Greetings FIC

I am sorry you are in this difficult place.

I am also sorry that it appears the medical profession have  kept this revolving door going on for so so many years. Its enough to bring one to tears.

Who is this 'someone' a doctor? It is best not to add new psychoactive substances or natural remedies to the wdl process  something that appears to have been the past norm by your doctor.

Are you able to redo your drug sig and talk in specifics like exact dosages and start dates and current taper method. This will be most helpful for moderators. So glad you have found sa.

nz11 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Freedom -- some people find that they need to hold for an extended period, 6 months at least. KarenB, a moderator who posted above in your topic, stopped her dose decreases for 8 months because she was having difficult reactions after the decreases. Now she's finding the situation much more manageable.

What do you think about holding at your current dose?

Please edit your signature so that your current drugs + doses and the dates you started those doses are clearly visible.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet